HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Are teams deliberately using weak sticks against us?

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 03:42 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Are teams deliberately using weak sticks against us?

This may sound paranoid, but here goes... the Jets seem to take a lot of borderline slashing penalties, especially when the opposition player's stick gets broken by a lovetap. During yesterday's Leafs game, the radio commentator mentioned that the Leafs had 5 or 6 sticks break on them during the game. Fortunately, none of these seemed to draw a penalty, although one of the broken sticks came during Kessel's first goal. Is this paranoia, or are other teams' hockey deliberately using weaker sticks to draw Jets' penalties?

Old
03-13-2013, 03:48 AM
Inflict
Viking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
This may sound paranoid, but here goes... the Jets seem to take a lot of borderline slashing penalties, especially when the opposition player's stick gets broken by a lovetap. During yesterday's Leafs game, the radio commentator mentioned that the Leafs had 5 or 6 sticks break on them during the game. Fortunately, none of these seemed to draw a penalty, although one of the broken sticks came during Kessel's first goal. Is this paranoia, or are other teams' hockey deliberately using weaker sticks to draw Jets' penalties?
/conspiracy

Don't be ridiculous. This would be the dumbest tactic ever if it were true. The risks of breaking your stick on a scoring chance severely outweigh the benefit from trying to draw a penalty. End of story.

Sorry if I come off as a dick, but this is not worthy of discussion IMO.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:05 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 635
Yup ^^^.
One too many brews at the game my friend.
/thread

Old
03-13-2013, 04:12 AM
almostawake

I've seen a lot of strange things on this board in my day.

This one is definitely top 1%.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
No.

Best let this thread disappear into the depths of this forum. Never to be spoken of again.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:47 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

the other teams just have stronger players then we have so they break more sticks

or

since Winnipeg is a frozen waste land according to other fan bases, they havent engineered their sticks like we have to with stand the brutal Winnipeg winters

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
03-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
the other teams just have stronger players then we have so they break more sticks

or

since Winnipeg is a frozen waste land according to other fan bases, they havent engineered their sticks like we have to with stand the brutal Winnipeg winters
Things do tend to become brittle in the cold. Excellent point.

I doubt there's anything to this but think about it. It almost makes a little sense. You use your favorite stick on the power play. You use your most durable stick on the PK. And 5 on 5 maybe you have a go to stick that's been hit with a couple slappers, you feel a guy getting a little agressive with the stick work so you bear down and snap the shaft. I could see some stone handed grease ball doing this. Somebody that isn't going to score anyway.

Old
03-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Soble

I do think more than a few times this year, the opposition has just dropped their stick when engaged. The first Slater call vs NJ and the call last night on Antro against Kadri were a case of a player knowing exactly what they were doing by holding their stick very loose and suffering the consequences. Either the league needs to look at this (even the homer Leafs TV announcers Bowen and Millen thought the Antro call was awful) or the Jets will have to start keeping up with the Jones's and try drawing cheap penalties as well. I'm for the former.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
I think this is a bit too far-fetched, especially the premise that teams would be doing this specifically vs. the Jets.

Closed.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 03-13-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Closed Thread