HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Latendresse watch thread

Old
03-12-2013, 10:07 AM
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.

vCash: 500
I cheered louder then usual last night when lats scored. Partly because I was glad to see his first goal as a senator, partly because i was glad he broke the drought but mostly because I was tired of all the people who had written him off after 5 games.

GimmeMyJetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
There is more than enough "optimisim" (aka: homerism) on this board to handle the tiny shreds of "pessimism" (aka: realism) that pop-up, time-to-time, from level-headed posters.

Yes, Latendresse will probably squeeze out a few more goals, but I don't see great things from him. He skates like a one of those skating Russian Bears.
If he continues to show the hands and net presence that he has already I don't really care how bad his skating is. It hasn't hurt us much and he's provided more than enough in the offensive end to make up for it. Plus he's pretty physical which is something that will come more as he gains confidence that he can remain injury free.

If Lats can put up some decent numbers and stay in Ottawa over the summer (as well as throughout the year) his skating will improve...not a matter of if but when...MacLean loves to make guys skate and we have a great skating coach.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Xspyrit

lol at people who think pessimism = realism.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
There is more than enough "optimisim" (aka: homerism) on this board to handle the tiny shreds of "pessimism" (aka: realism) that pop-up, time-to-time, from level-headed posters.

Yes, Latendresse will probably squeeze out a few more goals, but I don't see great things from him. He skates like a one of those skating Russian Bears.
So you think he won't be our Corey Perry? NOOOOOO

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Slow Hands
The feels

vCash: 50
We have to have one of the most pessimistic group of fans on HFBoards. All the stuff written in here about Latendresse, and then the Lehner thread worrying about our 21 year old goaltender who hasn't let in more than 2 goals a game in his past few starts.

Glad to see him get one yesterday. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia View Post
In his very limited ice time here, Latendresse has made some of the Sens' very best plays of the year: tonight's great goal, some hard forechecking hits early in the year, a perfect feed to Turris for a goalmouth tap-in, and one of the smartest moves I've ever seen: Trapped offside in the attacking zone, with a Sens' odd-man rush coming in, he jumped over the boards to get out of the play and cancel the offside. Sens got a great scoring chance, forced a faceoff and scored off the draw.
Writing this guy off so soon would be idiotic. He can score. So many of his speedy teammates can't.
All this after one goal.

Lats has a significant deficiency in his game, skating.

However he has experience, good hands and a big body, as well appears to be a good teammate.

So making him out to be great or completely useless is just wrong.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 03-12-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Holdurbreathe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:57 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
We have to have one of the most pessimistic group of fans on HFBoards. All the stuff written in here about Latendresse, and then the Lehner thread worrying about our 21 year old goaltender who hasn't let in more than 2 goals a game in his past few starts.

Glad to see him get one yesterday. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Except when we're optimistic. In which case we go crazy-overboard.

There's no middle ground.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Except when we're optimistic. In which case we go crazy-overboard.

There's no middle ground.
I call it the "Cooking on the stove" Syndome.

You either have it on max or it is off. Medium is not acceptable.

Qward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Magix

Yeah I don't get the love fest. He scores 1 goal and looks good in 1 game and all of a sudden there is hope? I doubt he keeps it up.

But we'll see how he does as the season drags on.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Yeah I don't get the love fest. He scores 1 goal and looks good in 1 game and all of a sudden there is hope? I doubt he keeps it up.

I know what you mean, but I think in his case just playing in a game is enough cause for "hope".

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
i dont understand either comment like :its his last goal as a Sens....
its like some of you want him to fail to prove a point in a this thread.

im happy if he shows up healthy and continues to produce chances.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
newerabegins

He tried to carry the puck too much for his style of play. He barely carried it, I know...

newerabegins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Latendresse fits well on the Smith - Alfredsson line because those two will get the puck to the net more often than not. If he just throws the body a little, does some boardplay and sticks around the front of the net he will get goals.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Latendresse fits well on the Smith - Alfredsson line because those two will get the puck to the net more often than not. If he just throws the body a little, does some boardplay and sticks around the front of the net he will get goals.
In theory I agree, but the reality is he has to get there in a timely fashion.

It is really unfortunate he just doesn't generate much speed, which seems to leave him late getting into position in one zone or the other.

Hopefully things will improve for him in the second half and he will be a consistent contributor.

Holdurbreathe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

The truth of the matter is we signed him to a 1 year contract to give him a chance and to fill a spot. He came into training camp out of shape and most likely still injured. Not one journalist was able to get management to divulge what was his problem. All of a sudden he is cured from what ever he had and he is ready to go. Simpson said today that he thought they kept him out to get into better shape.

Personally I want Lats to become one of our top players but I don't let that blind me to what I have seen thus far.

Being optimistic is one thing, being gullible is another.

I bet Anderson never had a set back and they are saving him for the stretch that positions us better into a playoff spot.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:49 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:

If he stays healthy he can definitely help our team.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:

So point production = looking good?

He had a bunch of chances in Winnipeg, and the two games against Florida. The goals or points haven't been there but he has looked good.

Let's point a the guy who barely played in the past 3 years and forget the fact that our scoring leader did not score in 21 games or that our best goal scorer is still a defenseman that hasn't played in a month.....

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Lats has his place if he can stay healthy and in shape. This is a good place for him if that's what he's looking to do. On top of which his skating should see improvement as the season goes on, and if he decides (or we decide) to stay here it will be even more noticeable. From the way he plays if he can get his skating up to an average to above average level he could be menace on the ice (obviously health is the concern...he's never really had a problem scoring when healthy).

Old
03-13-2013, 08:26 AM
MrG
#DoTheEdwing

It was refreshing to see a "skill" goal scored by Lats after having to face the reality that most of our goals will be of the rebound or "garbage" variety due to the lack of skill in the lineup.

I'm not sure anyone on the team not named Karlsson, Spezza or Michalek has mitts like that in tight like Lats.

Let the guy play. If he plays the rest of the year, shows signs of consistency and willingness to progress and improve (his fitness mainly), depending on what transpires in the offseason, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him another 1 year deal (assuming he wants to return).

MrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Let the guy play. ...
Maclean does let players play to their strengths, as long as they skate hard up and down the ice. I'm sure he'll keep Latendresse on a line with offensive players to be a goal-scorer. You're right, he's got good mitts.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

I was very happy to see Latendresse score his first goal as a Sen. Having said that, I can't see re-signing him given his injury history and moderately weak scoring potential. The Sens would be far better off in the long run to let him go and keep some of the younger guys up here next season when we have a healthy lineup.

If Latendresse is the answer the Sens are asking the wrong questions.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

So Latendresse was a no show against his childhood team? When can we expect some sort of impact especially when he is playing with prospects/minor leaguers?

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:50 PM
HavlatMach9

Made a beauty pass to Turris to spring a 2 on 1. Very happy with his game.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:59 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
So Latendresse was a no show against his childhood team? When can we expect some sort of impact especially when he is playing with prospects/minor leaguers?
Funny, because I thought he was fine last night. Not sure how you can single him out negatively in that game. He made some good passes and was buzzing around the net often.

Man, this guy can't catch a break with some of you guys.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:22 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Funny, because I thought he was fine last night. Not sure how you can single him out negatively in that game. He made some good passes and was buzzing around the net often.

Man, this guy can't catch a break with some of you guys.
maybe, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
I was very happy to see Latendresse score his first goal as a Sen. Having said that, I can't see re-signing him given his injury history and moderately weak scoring potential. The Sens would be far better off in the long run to let him go and keep some of the younger guys up here next season when we have a healthy lineup.

If Latendresse is the answer the Sens are asking the wrong questions.
this. well said.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote