Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2012-2013 College Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
No they aren't. Neither were DQ'd just given game misconducts. That doesn't carryover.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:00 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
SCSU/UAA
MN/BSU
UND/MTU
DU/CC
UW/UMD
MSUM/UNO

Only "upset" I see is CC over DU.
It's tough to go against anyone else. Maybe UMD over Wisconsin and maybe UNO over Minnesota State (if that is even an upset), but I wouldn't bet on it.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
03-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

vCash: 3385
Quote:
SCSU/UAA
MN/BSU
UND/MTU
DU/CC
UW/UMD
MSUM/UNO

Only "upset" I see is CC over DU.
Hopefully that doesn't happen. CC is the only thing keeping the Badgers out of the NCAA tourney at this point.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
No they aren't. Neither were DQ'd just given game misconducts. That doesn't carryover.
Oh, yeah the in-game info is hard to get at Amsoil. I'm surprised the 2nd one wasn't a DQ. That was the most intent I've seen in a long time for a check from behind. The player got up after being tripped and skated right at the Bulldog player and checked him from behind into the boards.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It's rare to see a Game DQ for a CFB.

In other news, the legendary Jack Parker is reportedly retiring as BU's head coach.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:19 PM
State of Hockey

The way DU is playing, CC winning would definitely be an upset in quotes.

On a related note, the WCHA's tie-breaking procedure for seeding is totally inadequate. The #6 seed has the individual tiebreaker over the #4 seed. Good formula you have there, WCHA.

Last edited by State of Hockey: 03-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Rabid Husky

Yes Kato wins it with UW when you go to total wins in a 2-way breaker, but because it's a 3-way breaker, head to head takes care of it. UW went 1-0-1 in the season series with DU and Kato (2-0 vs DU, 2-2 vs Kato) and DU went 1-1 in those series (0-2 vs UW, 2-0 vs Kato) and Kato goes 0-1-1 in those series (2-2 vs UW, 0-2 vs DU)
So it ends up UW 4, DU 5, MSUM 6 based on the head to head.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Sportsfan1

Kind of like last year I will be very surpised if there are any upsets in the first round this year, though I hope UMD springs the upset.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:02 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Kind of like last year I will be very surpised if there are any upsets in the first round this year, though I hope UMD springs the upset.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Paul Bunyan
Mythical Lumberjack

vCash: 411
Three of the Unbeatables (the three finalists for the Patty Kazmaier award) will do the "Let's Play Hockey" on Thursday.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Dogs just played their best weekend and their PP is rolling. If they can draw some penalties they might pull off the upset.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:49 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Yes Kato wins it with UW when you go to total wins in a 2-way breaker, but because it's a 3-way breaker, head to head takes care of it. UW went 1-0-1 in the season series with DU and Kato (2-0 vs DU, 2-2 vs Kato) and DU went 1-1 in those series (0-2 vs UW, 2-0 vs Kato) and Kato goes 0-1-1 in those series (2-2 vs UW, 0-2 vs DU)
So it ends up UW 4, DU 5, MSUM 6 based on the head to head.
Yep, took me a while to figure it out, and then when I did it exposed how stupid their 3-way tiebreaker is. There should be no way that a team (Wisconsin in this case) gets two spots ahead of another team (MSU) based entirely on its play against a third team (Denver).

Old
03-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Yep, took me a while to figure it out, and then when I did it exposed how stupid their 3-way tiebreaker is. There should be no way that a team (Wisconsin in this case) gets two spots ahead of another team (MSU) based entirely on its play against a third team (Denver).
But it isn't just based on UW's play vs Denver, it's Kato's too. That's why it's done that way when there are 3 teams. It's fair to include the series with both other teams in order to break that tie.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Gopher women's game was fun. Went with two of my teammates who are huge fans of the team. Still half empty but the crowds are getting bigger. A lot more family friendly than the men's games but not as silent as the Wild games thanks to the fans and the band. So in between the two.

First period, Gophers were playing sloppy. I hadn't seen them before, but they were bobbling passes that I could catch flat, I mean not just losing control, but flat out losing the puck over and over again. They were a little sluggish and I think were outshot in the first. Bemidji was getting the puck on net and crashing for rebounds, Gopher goalie was covering pucks quickly.

Second period was night and day. Gophers started flying and drawing penalties and outshot the Beavers something like 20-5. Got a goal and the crowd went crazy. It can get loud in there with the band, horn, and crowd. But it's smaller. Cool atmosphere.

Third period just wasn't a contest. I mean, Bemidji had a few nice shots, but the Gophers just dominated. I think they got four goals in that frame and got the shutout. They had some shifts where they were in the offensive zone the whole time, then changed behind the play, and that next line was in the zone the whole time.

Beavers never gave up though and battled without playing cheap. I thought they were better in the first, just ran into a great goalie. The pace of the game was slower than I'm used to (well except men's league), I'd say probably closer to a boy's high school game. There wasn't any full on body checking which didn't detract from the game at all. Not a lot of interference either. Just full on offense and board play, good battles along the boards.

Unfortunately, it seems they were resting Amanda Kessel as she is banged up, so she only played on the PP. She's got 94 points in 32 games. 20 higher than the next Gopher. 45 higher than the third. Just incredible to think about.

A few more impressive players were Meghan Bozek who I believe had two goals, she had a great deal of speed, controlled the puck well, and a very good shot. I liked Kelly Terry's game too, she's smaller but was really tenacious with the puck along the boards and had some speed as well. And Rachel Ramsey, former Wild assistant coach (and 1980 Olympian) Mike's daughter, was physically on another level, big and strong and had a bomb of a shot.

Gopher's goalie Noora Raty, from Finland, got her 40th career shutout which is an NCAA record. She's smaller but comes WAY out of the net to challenge and has a good glove and quick reflexes. Very calm too. Plays the puck well. Crazy thing is she's played in two Winter Olympics already, played at 16 years old in the 2006 Olympics and won the bronze with Finland in 2010.

So a very cool night. Tickets are cheap too. Bench seating so you can sit on the glass or up if you prefer.

Except for the bus ride home, where a guy who claimed to be from Jamaica and/or Africa was yelling about how he was going to kill and mess up this guy and swearing nonstop.
She was interviewed with Niklas Bäckström during the first intermission of the Anaheim game. Her English sounds so much better than his.
For her sake I hope they come up with a decent women's pro league in NA, I'd hate to see her waste the rest of her hockey career in Finland where the women's league isn't that good. She's also written couple of articles for Jatkoaika com (biggest Finnish hockey site, kind of HFBoards equivalent) and managed to piss of the head of the Finnish hockey fed by her brutally honest opinions of how they treat the women's national team at the federations.

I hope my hometown girl Susanna Tapani ('93 born, very talented scorer in ringette and hockey) chooses the college route (she's gotten interest from Boston and Minnesota) and goes over there in the future.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
But it isn't just based on UW's play vs Denver, it's Kato's too. That's why it's done that way when there are 3 teams. It's fair to include the series with both other teams in order to break that tie.
I know that. But that's what makes it ridiculous and very unfair. Obviously head-to-head shouldn't be used as the #1 tiebreaker, as evidenced by Wisconsin's seeding over MSU. Like I stated earlier, it's a poor system when one team is two spots ahead of another team that it loses the individual tiebreaker with. It means your seeding is determined by results in games you didn't play in. That shouldn't happen. NHL has head-to-head as #2, behind wins. And that works more fairly.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

So lots of people want to sign Nate Schmidt, would he be an AHL guys, 6/7 guy, or potentially top four?

Old
03-13-2013, 08:22 AM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Nate has done a lot of things right this year, but I think there has to be a reason why scouts aren't jumping all over their GM's to sign the kid. I would see him as an AHL guy with the ability to move up but would need to keep busting his hump to do so.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
Nate has done a lot of things right this year, but I think there has to be a reason why scouts aren't jumping all over their GM's to sign the kid. I would see him as an AHL guy with the ability to move up but would need to keep busting his hump to do so.
Bingo.

I've heard some things.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

vCash: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I know that. But that's what makes it ridiculous and very unfair. Obviously head-to-head shouldn't be used as the #1 tiebreaker, as evidenced by Wisconsin's seeding over MSU. Like I stated earlier, it's a poor system when one team is two spots ahead of another team that it loses the individual tiebreaker with. It means your seeding is determined by results in games you didn't play in. That shouldn't happen. NHL has head-to-head as #2, behind wins. And that works more fairly.
I get why you're mad but if they used the amount of wins as the #1 couldn't it be entirely possible that some team has a 4-0 record against one team, ties them in points and then loses the seeding because they had less wins? The fact the badgers had the best record against the two other teams with 33 points proves they should be in fourth. They went 3-2-1, Minn St. went 2-4-0, Denver 2-2-1. Points against the teams go Wisconsin 7, Denver 5, and Minn St. 4. Hence the standings. What you are saying is also quite ironic. You say that the standings shouldn't be affected by games you didn't play in but yet Wisconsin didn't make you lose to Denver twice. Also out of all of this you ended up with probably the easiest series.... Omaha is really trending down. UMD is trending up. CC is back and forth. Badgers should have tied last Friday's game... We wouldn't be having this conversation

Old
03-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
Who said they weren't?

Old
03-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

I think Schmidt can be a top 4 guy, possibly a Goligoski type

Old
03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Rabid Husky

Schmidt's offense is very good but I still think he'll be a liability defensively as a pro.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Sportsfan1

I'm totally biased by saying this but Schmidt could use all four years at the U to develop his "all-around" game a lot better. I sure hope he knows that, but the all mighty $$$ might be too much for him.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Playoff hockey

Old
03-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

MacWilliam got tossed in the Sioux (political correctness be damned) game for a clean shoulder to shoulder hit.

Closed Thread