Notices

All purpose Nathan Horton thread

Old
03-12-2013, 12:08 PM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
Somewhat related...Kovalchuk has 9 goals in 26 games and he plays 25-26 minutes per game. If he was in Thrasher-land he would probably be in the Top 5 in league scoring.
I hear ya, for me, it isn`t about stats with Horty or players like him, scorers are often streaky. My issue is what does a player bring to the table when he isn`t scoring, and THAT, is where my issue lies now with Horty

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
2.5 is too low my man...Give him the play-offs now...if he comes up big again, he is a must sign...

I just fear Peverley as my first line RW when we let him go...
He had big goals, no question, but I was otherwise very underwhelmed by his performance. Often times winning in spite of him. But credit for sure for coming up when needed...even if they were fluky, in the right place at the right time scores and not dynamic, take the game over plays.

I dont want Peverly as our top line RWer either, but he didnt do so bad in the finals, did he? I just personally would never give Horton more than 2.5. 25 goals and nothing else just isnt worth paying for. Too many other guys who can bring more to the table.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:40 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I hear ya, for me, it isn`t about stats with Horty or players like him, scorers are often streaky. My issue is what does a player bring to the table when he isn`t scoring, and THAT, is where my issue lies now with Horty
I think Horton hasn't been as physical this year; probably has toned down because of the concussion issues and expect that he'll get back to that style at some point.

But he's quick, he is decent defensively, and he is well liked and respected. I don't think it will break the bank to bring him back; there are some questions there; but he and his agent have to be aware of them as well. Is another team going to pay 5+ for Horton?? Probably not when there are other options out there.
I think Chia will re-sign him, maybe short term for a little less so he can prove his health and get a bigger pay day after the cap goes back up.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:43 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Love this thread title... "Nasty Nate." Ah, the days of yore... "Neutered Nate" is probably the more apt nickname at this point.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Spooner st

Sturm 2.1

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:42 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
I feel the same way about Horton as I do now about Ryder since he left.

Put Horton on another team and he could score 30 every year but I don't think it would happen here.

The Bruins aren't an offensive minded team and that drags down goal and point totals.

Under Julien they've only had a guy score 30 goals two times. One was Kessel with 36 and one was Lucic with 30.
Great comparison. I was going to post the same, but didn't out of fear of the Nate apologists haha.

He was "the man" in Florida and didn't produce much more than he has in boston.

03-12-2013, 07:28 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Still wondering why he hasn't been given the same grace period after a major concussion as Bergy - 2011 isn't that long ago.

TMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Yeah he's a stiff!

All the Bruins do is win when he's there.

And If I'm not mistaken, the Bruins have not lost a playoffs series with him in the lineup.
To be fair, any team is bound to win more when a top 6 forward is in the line-up. It's not like he was replaced.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21 View Post
Still wondering why he hasn't been given the same grace period after a major concussion as Bergy - 2011 isn't that long ago.
Umm..because his play is no different pre and post concussion. Sometimes he shows up, but usually not. Going through the motions, no real effort, if he gets the puck with enough time he has a great shot...otherwise...screw it.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:23 PM
smithformeragent

So maybe now is the time to lock him up while his stock is low. They could probably get him for 5 years @ $1M per season

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Umm..because his play is no different pre and post concussion. Sometimes he shows up, but usually not. Going through the motions, no real effort, if he gets the puck with enough time he has a great shot...otherwise...screw it.
So true.

Not confident going into the playoffs w/ this "top" line. It's only going to get tougher. Safe to say they aren't out there for defense after the last 2 games. So, they must be a scoring line? Right?

At the same time, I don't think this team can permit goal scoring of any kind to walk. If they're going to replace Horton w/ a stiff...

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:28 PM
SPLBRUIN

Quote:

This guy will always leave you wanting more, not much desire, let's bring in someone next year who will bring it on a regular basis.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
So maybe now is the time to lock him up while his stock is low. They could probably get him for 5 years @ $1M per season
I agree with the bolded part.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
I feel the same way about Horton as I do now about Ryder since he left.

Put Horton on another team and he could score 30 every year but I don't think it would happen here.

The Bruins aren't an offensive minded team and that drags down goal and point totals.

Under Julien they've only had a guy score 30 goals two times. One was Kessel with 36 and one was Lucic with 30.

Also...when the players aren't scoring they don't play with confidence which further reduces offense.

Anyway, I think if you put Seguin on a more offensive-minded team he might have 30 points but the team he played for would probably have 5 less wins than the Bruins. It sucks but defensive hockey is winning hockey.
Agree completely.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:23 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Meh, I think we saw a lot more physical play from him pre-concussion which made him a more effective player and the LKH line more dominant - there was a glimpse of that again in the Philly game, was great to see.

TMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Regular season: 93-44-8

Play-offs: 16-9

Total: 109-53-8

Lets go Chia...get this extension done!
was looking at how the cap situation shapes up for next year and we have just over 11 mill to get rask signed and a first line winger, a third line winger, a bottom pair dman, a backup goalie and 2-3 reserves..

rask is going to be getting over 5 mill a year and minimum salary is going to be over 4 mill for the other spots leaving us right around 2 mill to get Horton or some other first line guy signed.

theres no chance I see Horton coming back for 2 mill.

Right now the most logical changes I see happening incluce signing soderberg to take hortons place... promoting spooner up to join the third line {or maybe spooner plays in hortons spot?... let horton/ference walk cause there just isnt the cap room necessary to bring them back

a very possible lineup that we end up dealing with...

Seguin/Bergeron/Marchand {these guys are our true number 1 line already}
Soderberg/Krecji/Lucic {obviously a question mark here}
Peverly/Spooner/Kelly {or play Kelly in the middle}
Thornton/Campbell/Paille {if it aint broke no need to fix it}
Caron/Vet signing {or some other kid maybe outplays Caron for 13th forward}

Hamilton/Chara {another year of adding muscel for Hamilton should do wonders}
Boychuck/Seidenberg {Boychuck is always the guy I wonder gets moved for cap?}
McQuaid/Krug {or whatever kid wins the spot at camp}
vet signing {always some vet bouncing around that can be had on the cheap}

Rask {give him same contract Johnathon Quick got maybe?}
Khubodin {or whoever best option is we can get for a million dollars}

This lineup even with its couple of question marks eats up all the 64 million cap number as is. If we want Horton back then someone else is going to need to go to make the room.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:37 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Maybe I'm just really still pissed after blowing another 2-0 lead, but this core is too comfortable together so I may have to change my thinking...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Kalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
was looking at how the cap situation shapes up for next year and we have just over 11 mill to get rask signed and a first line winger, a third line winger, a bottom pair dman, a backup goalie and 2-3 reserves..

rask is going to be getting over 5 mill a year and minimum salary is going to be over 4 mill for the other spots leaving us right around 2 mill to get Horton or some other first line guy signed.

theres no chance I see Horton coming back for 2 mill.

Right now the most logical changes I see happening incluce signing soderberg to take hortons place... promoting spooner up to join the third line {or maybe spooner plays in hortons spot?... let horton/ference walk cause there just isnt the cap room necessary to bring them back

a very possible lineup that we end up dealing with...

Seguin/Bergeron/Marchand {these guys are our true number 1 line already}
Soderberg/Krecji/Lucic {obviously a question mark here}
Peverly/Spooner/Kelly {or play Kelly in the middle}
Thornton/Campbell/Paille {if it aint broke no need to fix it}
Caron/Vet signing {or some other kid maybe outplays Caron for 13th forward}

Hamilton/Chara {another year of adding muscel for Hamilton should do wonders}
Boychuck/Seidenberg {Boychuck is always the guy I wonder gets moved for cap?}
McQuaid/Krug {or whatever kid wins the spot at camp}
vet signing {always some vet bouncing around that can be had on the cheap}

Rask {give him same contract Johnathon Quick got maybe?}
Khubodin {or whoever best option is we can get for a million dollars}

This lineup even with its couple of question marks eats up all the 64 million cap number as is. If we want Horton back then someone else is going to need to go to make the room.
It's not as dire as it seems. Cap MIN next year is set at $64mm. Can be higher based on HRR, and, while I havent seen any numbers, sure seems like revenue is up over projections given ratings and ticket sales.

This thing can go in so many different directions that will create a chain reaction, but one possibility is that with a cap of $66ish mm, might be enough wiggle room to sign Nate to a 1 yr 'prove it' contract, say around 3.75mm or so. Might need to replace a $1mm fourth liner with a $550k guy or a $3.25mm third liner with a $2mm guy for example.

He needs time to put his concussions behind him and show what he can reay do. I don't think we are going to see it in this shortened season. Specter of the concussions still hovering over his game so far, it seems. As we have see , sometimes it takes a long time.

Kalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:27 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Horton and Lucic are neck and neck in the "Worst Player on the Team" race, and nobody else is within 1,000 yards of them.

It's time to go get Iginila and demote one of them to the 3rd (or in Horton's case, probably the 4th) line. This team needs a shake up, why not start with the two fattest cats on the squad?

Old
03-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Oates2Neely

Feaster will demand far too much for Iginla. He is the face of their franchise and Feaster will ask for the moon, just to save face with ownership & fans. He should have moved Iginla 2 trade deadlines ago. This guy isn't going to be worth what Feaster demands.

I'd like Jagr. Likes to shoot, LH shot, good on PP for playing on the half boards (Savards old money spot). Bump Horton down to Kelly's line

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:38 AM
smithformeragent

This is what Horton is, and this is why he's a #3 overall pick making $4M a year instead of $7M+ per year. You can't have your cake and eat it too. if you want legitimate goal scorers who produce consistently, they're going do cost you more in assets than Wideman and a 1st.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:45 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
This is what Horton is, and this is why he's a #3 overall pick making $4M a year instead of $7M+ per year. You can't have your cake and eat it too. if you want legitimate goal scorers who produce consistently, they're going do cost you more in assets than Wideman and a 1st.
Problem is if Nathan Horton isn't scoring, he's literally useless. He brings nothing else to the table aside from being Looch's drinking buddy. I'm okay with paying a 1-dimensional player $4+ million per year if that dimension involves the number 3 followed by the number 0 consistently, but you don't even get that out of him.

If Horton will sign for $3.5 million (he won't), I'm all for keeping him around. Anything higher than that and I say sayonara, muchacho.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Oates2Neely

Offseason:

2-year deal, which option do you prefer?

A) Horton @ $5m per

B) Ryder @ $3m per

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:57 AM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
Horton and Lucic are neck and neck in the "Worst Player on the Team" race, and nobody else is within 1,000 yards of them.

It's time to go get Iginila and demote one of them to the 3rd (or in Horton's case, probably the 4th) line. This team needs a shake up, why not start with the two fattest cats on the squad?
I think calling them worst players on the team is a big reach. Both have had good and bad stretches (although that's probably a fair label over the past 5+ games).

It's the lack of energy and intensity that really pisses me off. All three players on that line seem to zone in and out whenever they please. Krejci can get away it at times because he so damn skilled, but Horton and Lucic absolutely need that edge. Lucic especially.

Hortan can be a good player, but I'd rather see someone with a natural motor is his place.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:58 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Offseason:

2-year deal, which option do you prefer?

A) Horton @ $5m per

B) Ryder @ $3m per
Ryder. But I'd be willing to guess being able to put up numbers in Montreal and Dallas' systems and no concussion history their numbers will come in much closer if not Ryder coming out ahead.

MTaylorJ1 is online now   Reply With Quote