HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Bah. The OK's broke in the 3rd and the Blades tied it 2-2 and won it in a shootout.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:20 AM
MoneyGuy

I enjoyed this game despite the loss. It's more entertaining than the blowouts we're used to.

Brutal Zamboni work after the third period.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:51 AM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I enjoyed this game despite the loss. It's more entertaining than the blowouts we're used to.

Brutal Zamboni work after the third period.
Yeah it is like they had no clue what they were doing out there. I have never seen that before.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:20 PM
ccgg

Is this the draft thread ? I'm probably blind but I didn't see one.

Anyway, I'm part of a mock draft and I represent the Oilers. I just wanted some clues for your team needs, your trends, etc. Thanks in advance.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:23 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post

Anyway, I'm part of a mock draft and I represent the Oilers. I just wanted some clues for your team needs, your trends, etc. Thanks in advance.
It isn't, but the Oilers need more size up the middle so depends where they are in the draft if in the top 10 think Barkov or Monohan, and if out of the top 10 think Gauither or Lazar.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:45 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post

I agree with the poster above. Size and depth at center is a glaring hole. After that I would say a PMD, gritty winger with size and a decent goalie prospect would be our needs.

Top 10 pick... (assume were not picking top 3)

1. Barkov
2. Monahan

Top 20 Pick...

1. Lazar
2. Gauthier
3. Ristolainen
4. Mantha
5. Pulock
6. Morrissey

2nd round:

1. Ryan Hartman (possible 1st)
2. Jason Dickinson (prob goes in the 1st though)
3. Tristan Jarry
4. Spencer Martin
5. Connor Hurley

3rd round:

1. Ryan Kujawinski
2. Stephen Harper
3. William Carrier

4th-5th rounds:

Keegan Kanzig

Old
03-13-2013, 01:49 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Yeah it is like they had no clue what they were doing out there. I have never seen that before.
I wondered if it was human error or machine breakdown when they were dumping snow on the ice in various places.

Also missed some spots and had to go back. That was operator error. It was one operator who was messing up. I think he'll be fired.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:56 PM
MoneyGuy

Whoever writes the OKs' mascot intro is great. Not sure of the exact words, but from last night....

Ghosts tell stories about him around the campfire.

He once cut down a tree using dental floss.

He doesn't use a towel. Water runs away from him.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
Not sure if this is of interest here or not, but thought some might want to know...

Quote:
@NHLCanes

NEWS: #Canes agree to terms with defenseman Keegan Lowe (@Klowe4): http://m.carhur.com/0ZPn
That tweet is followed by a couple other tweets from some of the Hurricanes PR guys - "Lowe will remain with Oil Kings for WHL playoffs" and "Keegan Lowe is on one of the best teams in junior hockey, but could join Checkers when he's done. Candidate to be here next season anyway"

Old
03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Good for him. His play has been excellent this year. I wasnt a fan when I first started following the Oil Kings closely but he has made me into one. He is a very good prospect.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:44 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
Not sure if this is of interest here or not, but thought some might want to know...

That tweet is followed by a couple other tweets from some of the Hurricanes PR guys - "Lowe will remain with Oil Kings for WHL playoffs" and "Keegan Lowe is on one of the best teams in junior hockey, but could join Checkers when he's done. Candidate to be here next season anyway"
I'm really interested to see how his transition to pro goes. He's pretty tough and plays a good two-way game. But he's prone to some bad penalties and brain cramps.

Either way, I hope the Checkers don't expect him til late May.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:55 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Either way, I hope the Checkers don't expect him til late May.
Meh, who cares when they expect him, as long as he isn't available until late May.

In off-topic news, the Golden Bears outshot Waterlook 43-13 and hit five posts and a crossbar with seconds to go today, losing 2-1. Now they have to beat Saskatoon. They were clearly the dominant team today except for the hot goalie. It's ironic, given that our goalie went something like five games just recently without giving up a goal. Damn Bears!

Old
03-15-2013, 12:27 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Good for him. His play has been excellent this year. I wasnt a fan when I first started following the Oil Kings closely but he has made me into one. He is a very good prospect.
Just curious when you had the change of mind, because he was not good late in the playoffs last year and very bad in the Memorial Cup. Is it that he has improved that much this year? I have only saw a couple of OK games this year.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:51 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Just curious when you had the change of mind, because he was not good late in the playoffs last year and very bad in the Memorial Cup. Is it that he has improved that much this year? I have only saw a couple of OK games this year.
Over the last three years he has steadily grown on me. This year has been his strongest year by far.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:56 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Over the last three years he has steadily grown on me. This year has been his strongest year by far.
His great leadership qualities sort of make him grow on you. He's definitely a warrior, I'm just sort of conflicted how he'll react to the decision making at higher speeds at the next level. Especially since he's not going to be bringing any offense. Plays in pro happen lightning quick and those guys are man-strong, it's a huge adjustment. Seen lots of defensive d-men get left behind but we'll see, hoping he does good.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:23 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
His great leadership qualities sort of make him grow on you. He's definitely a warrior, I'm just sort of conflicted how he'll react to the decision making at higher speeds at the next level. Especially since he's not going to be bringing any offense. Plays in pro happen lightning quick and those guys are man-strong, it's a huge adjustment. Seen lots of defensive d-men get left behind but we'll see, hoping he does good.
He has an offensive component to his game. He jumps up in the play and on the rush quite often and well (his skating is pretty good at the WHL level) and he has a pretty good shot too. He does have 15 goals this year. He isnt small or weak either. Nobody expects him to jump in the NHL right away. If Marincin can play in the AHL I believe Lowe can too.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:47 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Looks like the Oil Kings are going to be lining up against the Kootenay Ice again in the first round. Hopefully the OK's are able to elevate their games accordingly in the playoffs because the Ice gave them fits at times this year.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:24 PM
fysloc

vCash: 50
Going to game tonight, can I expect to win anything from fan appreciation night?

Old
03-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Looks like the Oil Kings are going to be lining up against the Kootenay Ice again in the first round. Hopefully the OK's are able to elevate their games accordingly in the playoffs because the Ice gave them fits at times this year.
Kootaney is actually a team that worries me and I was hoping to avoid them in round one. On top of Sam Reinhart, they also have two 17 year olds in Jaedon Descheneau and Luke Philp that have played very well for them offensively. In net, Mackenzie Skapski has played quite consistently for them. Should be an interesting matchup for sure.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:04 PM
MoneyGuy

I have two free, good tickets if anyone here wants them for tonight's game. You'll have to come to Spruce Grove. PM me with phone number if interested.

Last edited by MoneyGuy: 03-16-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 05:17 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I have two free, good tickets if anyone here wants them for tonight's game. You'll have to come to Spruce Grove. PM me if interested.
Damn, if I wasn't working, I'd consider it.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:53 AM
GrandLarseny
Off to the KHL

vCash: 50
How has Eddy Kulda looked this year? Draft Potential? Thanks.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer
The @EdmOilKings Curtis Lazar finishes the season with 30 goals in his final 45 GP after 2013 draft eligible scored 8 in his first 27 GP
This kid has so many tools. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him go in the top ten this summer.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:03 AM
MoneyGuy

One goal on Jarry tonight propels him over Bartosak of the Rebs into the league lead for save percentage, .936 to .935. This kid is a great prospect.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It should also be noted that it was almost a full house tonight (16,370).

Closed Thread