Official Sports Radio/Television Thread Part IX-

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 11:33 AM
MTaylorJ1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
In all fairness, that accent is ridiculous, and is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I've lived in this area my whole life and at no point have I ever sounded like some of the marble mouthed clowns that call into that show. If you also notice, they only break into the townie bit when the caller makes an incredibly stupid or obvious remark.

I mean really, how many times can you hear a mouth breathing thug bring up a point about the Pats and how "they'aah gonna screw ovaaah Welkaaaah" before it drives you a little nuts?

If you don't want people to make fun of it, learn how to speak English correctly, FFS. Otherwise, just take it with a grain of salt...
I'm agreeing with you at an alarming rate lately...and I'm scared.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
I believe what you meant to say is, "learn how to speak English good." That is all.
And I believe what you meant to say is, "learn how to speak English well." That is all.:

Old
03-13-2013, 11:41 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
I'm agreeing with you at an alarming rate lately...and I'm scared.
Welcome to the dark side...

Old
03-13-2013, 12:20 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
And I believe what you meant to say is, "learn how to speak English well." That is all.:
I know...I was joking...kind of like the, "Derek Zoolander School for Kids Who Can't Read Good."

Old
03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Sure, or at least gooder than they currently do...
Eventually, they'll be the goodest!

Old
03-13-2013, 12:56 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

It's because the biggest loudmouths think what they have to say is important. I think they humiliate these idiots who call on speaker phone and don't pay attention when they pick up in hopes others won't make the same mistake, but clearly these dumb clucks aren't too smaaaaht or something.

Please people, if you want things to be bettah, staaaaht callin' in.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:08 PM
FTOREKBENCHTOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
F&M appear to be calcifying into Big Show-esque putrefaction. They no longer attempt to disguise their contempt for their listeners; in fact that contempt (the constant recourse to the townie accent, the hanging up on callers and "pushing away from the table", etc) is now part of their act. They treat the Neely segment with the same enthusiasm accorded to reading ad copy for window restorations --i.e., as a scheduled but unwelcome interruption from endless Welker talk. They find themselves and each other to be the most fascinating and amusing personalities on Earth, and we're supposed to just listen and revel in their comic genius.

I am far from a Felger-hater, by the way. There's lots I like about him, and even Mazz. But they should both realize that many of us can only find their douchery endearing if it's leavened with some humility and a semblance of regard for their audience. Without that, it becomes nauseating and stale.
nailed it

Old
03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
It's because the biggest loudmouths think what they have to say is important. I think they humiliate these idiots who call on speaker phone and don't pay attention when they pick up in hopes others won't make the same mistake, but clearly these dumb clucks aren't too smaaaaht or something.

Please people, if you want things to be bettah, staaaaht callin' in.
Exactly. You ever wonder why they have the regulars callers on so much? Because 99.9% of the remaining calls suck. Fact, not opinion. How many losers have to say "first time caller, long time listener" and get mocked before people start realizing they (As in F&M) don't care. Just get the the point of your call and have it be salient, and original. Just calling up to complain how Welkaaaaah needs to resign or how you think Jon Lestaaaaah is going to have a good year brings nothing new to the table.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:22 PM
FTOREKBENCHTOSS

I can see some peoples points about them having to talk the Pats and Soxs because of the time of year it is (free agency/spring training) And i can also understand the need to appeal to the larger demographic, however there is a case that can be made about the lack of Bruins talk.

The case is i think alot of people that made the switch a few years ago are feeling pretty much betrayed. This is of course of many levels as well.

1- One of leading causes for people to switch was because of the lack or negative coverage the Bruins got on WEEI, then the HUB came and started talking a lot of Bruins, being there flagship station obviously helped that. However it just seems like now that they got the die hard B's fans hook line and sinker that they are toning down the hockey talk.

2- People also made the switch because they didn't want to hear what amounted to 3 or 4 people yelling over each other like a bunch of children fighting over what power ranger they get to be. When the HUB can around they were a breathe of fresh air because they simply talked sports and allowed the conversation to flow. It was the callers that basically dictated where the show would go to an extent. Now any concept of the show is in the hands of egomanic's that are ready to shut down a conversation if there made to be fools.

3-Fans and callers where treated with humility and respect in a sense when the station first began. Obviously there is always going to be some turds in the punch bowl, but its how you deal with the average caller. Callers would make there points and they would disagree and it was actually an adult conversation. Now its to the point were King Felger lambast people for missing even the slightest detail or making a mistake. Or even worse you have a caller on Gresh and Zoe and it pretty much ends up to the point where Gresh is doing what equates to threatening to steal the callers lunch money at recess.

As for the cracks on toucher and rich and wanting sports discussion, its pretty baseless. Toucher and Rich dont pretend to be experts they even admit at times how much they suck, its not there job to bring in the hardcore breakdowns and analysis. The point of the show is to bring some humor and variety into the station. If you take them for what they are, they are actually a pretty good listen from time to time. Lets also keep in mind that were talking about sports for god sakes, its not suppose to be deadly serious.

Last edited by MoreMogilny: 03-13-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Offensive
Old
03-13-2013, 01:24 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Exactly. You ever wonder why they have the regulars callers on so much? Because 99.9% of the remaining calls suck. Fact, not opinion. How many losers have to say "first time caller, long time listener" and get mocked before people start realizing they (As in F&M) don't care. Just get the the point of your call and have it be salient, and original. Just calling up to complain how Welkaaaaah needs to resign or how you think Jon Lestaaaaah is going to have a good year brings nothing new to the table.
"Yeah, what do you guys think about the Paaaats?"

Literally, that was an entire call the other day. Suck.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:35 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
"Yeah, what do you guys think about the Paaaats?"

Literally, that was an entire call the other day. Suck.
I tuned in for 10 minutes yesterday and heard something like 5 callers in a row ask them whether they thought Welkaaaah was going to resign. Felger did his rant right after about the crappy callers that day, and I turned on some music because it was painful to listen to. If you have something to bring to the discussion, call in. If you just want to get on the radio to ask them something they've been talking about ad nauseum for the last 3 weeks, then do everyone a favor and don't call.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:39 PM
FTOREKBENCHTOSS

Quote:
I tuned in for 10 minutes yesterday and heard something like 5 callers in a row ask them whether they thought Welkaaaah was going to resign. Felger did his rant right after about the crappy callers that day, and I turned on some music because it was painful to listen to. If you have something to bring to the discussion, call in. If you just want to get on the radio to ask them something they've been talking about ad nauseum for the last 3 weeks, then do everyone a favor and don't call.
do you think there might be some correlation between the quality of callers and the quality of a show?

Old
03-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Sorry to toot my own horn but I predicted this from the get go. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5&postcount=33

Old
03-13-2013, 01:44 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Sorry to toot my own horn but I predicted this from the get go. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5&postcount=33
Ha!! Well played Donnie...

Old
03-13-2013, 01:46 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTOREKBENCHTOSS View Post
do you think there might be some correlation between the quality of callers and the quality of a show?
Seeing as that's what I've heard no matter who the hosts were, or what station the show was on, no. I think the mouth breathers in this town love to hear themselves talk, but actually have very little understanding of the sport they're calling in about and they bring zero to the conversation.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Therick67

Quote:
The thing I like about Felger is, he has opinions and they aren't always safe easy ones like guys like Dale or the Big-o have. Sure he's wrong alot and some of his opinions are stupid, but it's talk radio -- entertainment.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
The thing I like about Felger is, he has opinions and they aren't always safe easy ones like guys like Dale or the Big-o have. Sure he's wrong alot and some of his opinions are stupid, but it's talk radio -- entertainment.
Fine. The point is that folks are saying that F&M have resorted to being the Big Show. I made that statement a few years ago because Felger and Mazz learned their ranks of talk radio by being on the Big Show. So the fact they are now this way and people not liking it is not surprising to me.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Fine. The point is that folks are saying that F&M have resorted to being the Big Show. I made that statement a few years ago because Felger and Mazz learned their ranks of talk radio by being on the Big Show. So the fact they are now this way and people not liking it is not surprising to me.
I think they've show signs of that, but they don't have idiots like Pete Sheppard screaming at callers and challenging them to fights, or telling them to go flip burgers.

They also talk hockey, something I never heard on the big show. To some degree, all sports talk shares similarities.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
I think they've show signs of that, but they don't have idiots like Pete Sheppard screaming at callers and challenging them to fights, or telling them to go flip burgers.
Correct. They are just mocking them with bad fake accents.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Correct. They are just mocking them with bad fake accents.
Well, you have to actually listen to the callers and not yell over them in order to know they have an accent worth mocking

Old
03-13-2013, 03:29 PM
MattFromFranklin

Anyone catch the guy yesterday who said this: "Yaaaaa whattaya think of Naughty Asomugha?"
I thought it was hilarious that some guy named Peter was on hold for over an hour yesterday, and when he finally got on, it took him about 10 seconds to realize it, and then said, "Ya, I think Tim Tebow should go to the Bills." Needless to say, they hung up on him.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
See, this to me is a symptom of how lazy the show has become. A halfway decent call screener could easily eliminate 80% of the callers who either (a) have nothing to bring to the table, or (b) have poor signals. If you don't have any decent callers on hold, then just don't take calls, until the screener identifies a good one.

Toucher & Rich have no problem going on for hours without calls, but that's because they put some production effort into the show, and make a point of discussing various topics. F&M, increasingly, simply latch on to one topic of discussion for the entire afternoon, and essentially regurgitate the same "hot" take over and over, ad infinitum. The only "production" evident on F&M is really just another variation of this: i.e., re-airing a Mazz diatribe, except at 45 rpm.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:27 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Flipped on TSH this am and T&R were playing audio from Francesa trying to pronounce the new pope's name. Pretty funny but I wanted to hear about the Welker/Amendola situation so I flip over to WEEI, and I get hit in the face with Dale "Ned Flanders" Arnold schilling for the team and saying how Welker didn't want to be here. I had immediate flashbacks to all the times the Bruins would do something questionable and Dale would toe the company line. Needless to say, music went on shortly thereafter.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I am starting to think my dislike for D&C was much more for the D than with the C. I have been listening a lot this past week since he has been out. Dale and the new guy help as well.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:31 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
See, this to me is a symptom of how lazy the show has become. A halfway decent call screener could easily eliminate 80% of the callers who either (a) have nothing to bring to the table, or (b) have poor signals. If you don't have any decent callers on hold, then just don't take calls, until the screener identifies a good one.

Toucher & Rich have no problem going on for hours without calls, but that's because they put some production effort into the show, and make a point of discussing various topics. F&M, increasingly, simply latch on to one topic of discussion for the entire afternoon, and essentially regurgitate the same "hot" take over and over, ad infinitum. The only "production" evident on F&M is really just another variation of this: i.e., re-airing a Mazz diatribe, except at 45 rpm.
I'm not sure it's laziness, since T&R read over the production notes that Felger prepares for every show, and they also laughed at how they as a show never do anything close to that for preparation. I think it's more of them being a victim of their own success. The better the ratings the more callers they get, and they can't all be good. I also think that the phone screeners are purposely putting bad callers through just to mess with Felger since he flips out over it. Now in terms of produced bits, yeah T&R certainly do a better job because that's right up their alley. But don't confuse things like Drunken Recap for show preparation.

Closed Thread