Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How to fix The Wild's "Power" Play....

Old
03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

vCash: 500
Power play has improved over the past few games. Over the last 4 games the PP has been at 30.7% by my maths. Spurgeon looked good on it yesterday.

I'd still say some work is needed though. Need to make sure it doesn't drop off and look like it did earlier. That was just awful.

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

QB to me is someone who can see the ice and set up plays, not necessarily a big shot. I would have Cullen in Koivu's spot though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:07 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
QB to me is someone who can see the ice and set up plays, not necessarily a big shot. I would have Cullen in Koivu's spot though.
Exactly.

Cullen-Koivu-Seto-Parise-Suter

Spurgeon-Coyle-Heater-Granlund-Zucker

First one listed runs the QB spot. Zucker and Parise down low. Heater and Koivu in the slot. Suter/Coyle the point, Granlund Seto opposite side in the faceoff dot.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I meant Cullen is a good shooter, not a PP QB. Suter is excellent there and I think Brodin is too.

With the umbrella, I have the QB at the point, guys who can shoot at the wall, and around the net two more guys with soft hands who can cause a little trouble or clean up rebounds.

That's why I have something like

Top - Suter/Brodin
Left Wall - Spurgeon/Setoguchi
Right Wall - Cullen/Heatley
Left Net - Coyle/Clutterbuck
Right Net - Parise/Koivu

Old
03-11-2013, 11:12 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
I meant Cullen is a good shooter, not a PP QB. Suter is excellent there and I think Brodin is too.

With the umbrella, I have the QB at the point, guys who can shoot at the wall, and around the net two more guys with soft hands who can cause a little trouble or clean up rebounds.

That's why I have something like

Top - Suter/Brodin
Left Wall - Spurgeon/Setoguchi
Right Wall - Cullen/Heatley
Left Net - Coyle/Clutterbuck
Right Net - Parise/Koivu
I like yours better. But I like Coyle out there more than Clutterbuck. With how often we are on the kill in games, I would rather players like Cal and Brodziak get 2 minutes of catching their breath in case a 4-on-4 comes up or we go on the PK shortly thereafter. And yes that is the only reason

Old
03-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We could also try Rupp there. Big body and he never has to move. Boogaard did that a few times.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:16 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
We could also try Rupp there. Big body and he never has to move. Boogaard did that a few times.
It may be something that has to be tried just to see what it does. One thing we severely lack on the PP from what I've seen is screening.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:50 AM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Quote:
Winnipeg tried something similar with Byfuglien in front. Didn't work well.

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Spurgeon should be playing the left side point/ left side half wall. A lot of his goals come from nice little shots from that area of the ice, both on the power play and 5 on 5. I like Spurgeon's shooting ability, he is very good at controlling the puck and knows how to get that quick low shot on goal.

As far as forwards, I wouldn't mind seeing Zucker on at least the second power play unit. He has the ability to get to the net and either punch in a pass or rebound. We've seen it all season. Almost all of his goals have come from basically in the crease.

Finally, our power play seems to either score or completely fail (for the most part).

I think we just need to be patient, I think the power play will get more consistent with time.

Sneaky Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
Winnipeg tried something similar with Byfuglien in front. Didn't work well.
But it worked well in Chicago

Old
03-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Sydor is clearly the problem.

He needs to go now.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:31 PM
DANOZ28

the positive is we are playing way better these last dozen games vs the first dozen. i'll give yeo credit 4 that. currently i'd rank the wild as the 10th best nhl team. the only way we improve from here is our PP. if yeo needs help with new ideas then ask 4 it! be the bigger man and search around for a PP consultant. heck i'd call gretzky and see if he could offer a few tips! ps previously i suggested calling pierre paige ,former northstars coach or find a retired red army coach. when your at the bottom of a barrel, find a new barrel!

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:43 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
I think the PP is getting real predictable. My gf(who knows nothing about hockey) has already picked up it after about 3 games. It goes from point, to Koivu at the circle, then to Parise on the goal line(where he usually just tries to smash it in or hope for a good bounce. And then it gets shuffled back and over and over again. I feel like its so easily defendable if you know where everyone is. They need some more movement, then they will generate more good shots. Just IMO. We need more movement and variety. Oh, and Brodz on the PP is a real head scratcher. Especially when you have a shooter/scorer like Zucker(please be okay) on the bench.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:08 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

I don't care what they do, but they need to fix this ****. We've scored in the last 6 of 7! blah blah, whatever. It hasn't looked good this whole time, and half those goals we got should never have gone in. We've scored, yes, but it hasn't looked better at all.

Our pp is slow and predictable. Yeo says they haven't had a chance to work on it yet. It just lost us a game we really should have had. It has been a momentum killer for us all season. Maybe Sydor and the guys should practice this some.

PP especially need to be practiced. I was somewhat surprised when Yeo said they had not really had a chance to practice it yet, I would think you make this a priority.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
I don't care what they do, but they need to fix this ****. We've scored in the last 6 of 7! blah blah, whatever. It hasn't looked good this whole time, and half those goals we got should never have gone in. We've scored, yes, but it hasn't looked better at all.

Our pp is slow and predictable. Yeo says they haven't had a chance to work on it yet. It just lost us a game we really should have had. It has been a momentum killer for us all season. Maybe Sydor and the guys should practice this some.

PP especially need to be practiced. I was somewhat surprised when Yeo said they had not really had a chance to practice it yet, I would think you make this a priority.
That comment struck me as really stupid as well. Make the ****ing time Yeo!!! It is costing the Wild games and you can't manage time well enough at practice to work on the biggest deficiency? C'mon man!!!

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Granlund 64

I was getting annoyed last night while at the game. For a great deal of the PP's (mainly in the 2nd/3rd period) they had defensemen on the points receiving passes on the backhand (i.e. Gilbert/Spurgeon on the right and Suter/Brodin on the left) which completely takes away any one-time chance.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Wildfan10*

Honestly, the biggest problem with the power play is that everyone is always stationary. Move your ****ing feet and the passing lanes will open up! It's not rocket science.

Wildfan10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:58 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

he said they were "out of practice" on the PP. how many practices have they had lately?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Sportsfan1

I like Yeo but the one thing he is no very good at is running a PP, get Brodziak off the God forsaken PP and when healthy go with this lineup:

Coyle-Koivu-Parise
Spurgeon-Suter

Setoguchi-Cullen-Heatley
Gilbert-Brodin

Do it, and then for the love of heavens practice it again.....again....again.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:48 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Coyle does have WAY better hands than Brodziak. I understand why he wants Brodziak out there, A. it's not working, and B. really?!?! Dude has never had good hands.

If we're going to throw Coyle to the fire, might as well do it, imo.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:06 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Easy fix to the Wild's power play.

As soon as the other team takes a penalty, get a matching minor. Score two goals on the 4 on 4, done.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:20 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Easy fix to the Wild's power play.

As soon as the other team takes a penalty, get a matching minor. Score two goals on the 4 on 4, done.
You sir, are a genius

Old
03-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Tony253
#DSTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
I think the PP is getting real predictable. My gf(who knows nothing about hockey) has already picked up it after about 3 games. It goes from point, to Koivu at the circle, then to Parise on the goal line(where he usually just tries to smash it in or hope for a good bounce. And then it gets shuffled back and over and over again. I feel like its so easily defendable if you know where everyone is. They need some more movement, then they will generate more good shots. Just IMO. We need more movement and variety. Oh, and Brodz on the PP is a real head scratcher. Especially when you have a shooter/scorer like Zucker(please be okay) on the bench.
Very true..the forwards are not down low enough to create any havoc and they NEVER use the net as a pick point a la Brunette. I like the idea of trying to get Seto the one-timer in the low circle but when the pass has to come across the slot, it gets intercepted or broken up way too often. The D needs to shoot more, period. The idea of getting the defense confused or broken down has been mentioned a lot lately. Look at what the 'Lanche did last night... Intentionally fired the puck off the boards and got the good bounce. That's how you get ugly PP goals, confusion...

Tony253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:35 PM
BigT2002

I still think they are waiting for Parise to score the goal. Why in the world they don't have the blueline taking a slapshot and going for a rebound is beyond me.