Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
That is great news, I hope you are right! I am worried though that Mahalak will be trusted yet again to be our starter.

I see our last game is the 17th, how soon will playoffs begin after that? Is there a layoff between? Also does the schedule for games stay similar to RS, like 2 or 3 games a week and mainly the weekends? Do prices for tickets go up and will these games sell out? What other things can a new fan expect for the playoffs (besides a dominating capture of the OHL championship )?
As WhalerBlue said, the first round of the playoffs will most likely not sell out -- I cannot remember the last time that happened. As for prices, we got our playoffs order form a week ago (we have season tickets). For the first round, single game prices are the same as regular season prices, and single game prices increase a little for each subsequent round. If you order the playoff package, the prices do not increase by round. For the playoff package, you pay for 12 games in advance. If they play fewer games, you have the choice of either a refund or applying the remaining balance to season tickets for next year (we always opt for the latter).

As for the schedule, the Whalers will probably open at home on either Friday the 22nd or Saturday the 23rd. The series are 1-1-1-1-1-1-1, so they will end up with a weeknight Game #3 in the middle of the week. The postseason is the only time of year you'll see any weeknight games at Compuware.

I wouldn't worry about Mahalak being our playoff goalie. If that happens, it means that Ned would have either fallen apart or become injured, and our playoff hopes would be gone anyway.

Last edited by Whalers Fan: 03-08-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
The series are 1-1-1-1-1-1-1, so they will end up with a weeknight Game #3 in the middle of the week.
This is incorrect. They have reverted back to the 2-2-1-1-1 format. The Whale will host games 1,2,5,7 with the others being on the road.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
This is always an exciting time of the hockey season. I am obsessed with it. The thing about the playoffs that can be of comfort or give you an ulcer is that what happened in the past doesn't matter. It gets real. Right here, right now. If you are an under dog, and you advance-you are jacked. If you get beat as the favorite-you probably won't feel so good. I want to win.
Yes, nothing beats the excitement of playoff hockey. The play is much more intense, and every good or bad play is magnified. One bad bounce of the puck can send the better team home.

I still fondly remember the 2007 championship season. For the later rounds, Compuware was packed to the rafters and was rocking for every game. Let's hope for another run like that!

Old
03-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
This is incorrect. They have reverted back to the 2-2-1-1-1 format. The Whale will host games 1,2,5,7 with the others being on the road.
Really? I would have sworn that I read that all the series would be 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 this year, regardless of the travel considerations. I guess I was mistaken on that.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:03 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:

...I wouldn't worry about Mahalak being our playoff goalie. If that happens, it means that Ned would have either fallen apart or become injured, and our playoff hopes would be gone anyway.
Ok then, awesome! What a blessing for the fans to have our hopes realized. Good stuff.

Quote:
Yes, nothing beats the excitement of playoff hockey. The play is much more intense, and every good or bad play is magnified. One bad bounce of the puck can send the better team home....
I can relate. My beer-league playoffs start next week!

I said I was getting to the last home games and was out of money, but for sure gonna try for Sunday. Something about the matinee games are especially enjoyable (and it's not just getting drunk by 4:00 pm ). Too bad it's not with SSM, I like playing/watching that team.

I would love to see Trocheck win the scoring title. That would be frosting to a delicious season so far, and I'm hoping playoffs will be the sprinkles!

Old
03-09-2013, 08:54 AM
WhalerBlue

hockeyisforeveryone-I left you a PM.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

It was nice to see Mitch Jones back on the ice for Plymouth this afternoon. When he was injured, I didn't think there was any way he'd be back this season. If MacDonald's injury is indeed minor, this gives us 7 healthy defensemen for the start of the playoffs. The Whalers have not been in that situation since early January.

Ned got the start and could have sued for lack of support on a few of the Saginaw goals. Hopefully Vellucci will get the defense tightened up for the playoffs -- that was our undoing last postseason. Plymouth's offense looked sharp, though. The Spirit let our forwards waltz in numerous times. I felt sorry for their rookie goalie (who looked promising) at times.

Wilson and Rakell were also scratches. I would expect to see more of the regulars sitting out during the last three games. Trocheck may be the one exception, as he is still battling for the scoring title.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Cfriss216

Heard was a man amongst boys today and meurs played great as well, jones looked up to speed too. Can't wait for the playoffs to get rolling!

Old
03-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I called the box office this morning. Games 1 & 2 are scheduled for Friday the 22nd and Saturday the 23rd at Compuware. Tickets will be mailed out next Monday, for anyone who ordered the playoff package.

Now we just need to find out who the opponent will be.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
It was nice to see Mitch Jones back on the ice for Plymouth this afternoon. When he was injured, I didn't think there was any way he'd be back this season. If MacDonald's injury is indeed minor, this gives us 7 healthy defensemen for the start of the playoffs. The Whalers have not been in that situation since early January.

Ned got the start and could have sued for lack of support on a few of the Saginaw goals. Hopefully Vellucci will get the defense tightened up for the playoffs -- that was our undoing last postseason....
As much as I agree with seeing Jones back, this game was Plymouth's least impressive showign defensively in the last several games. NOT saying this is Mitch's fault by any stretch, but MacDonald's absence combined with Jones's return and the lack of defense by Wilson and Rakell (scratches) is at least a blip in defensive chemistry that I agree needs to get addressed. Things were going very well defensively, then the Whalers changed up, and we held our breath - not exactly how I was hoping to spend every playoff game. I have enough confidence in the team (incl coaches) to believe this will smooth out with the remaining games in regular season play, though. Defensive play by all players (incl forwards) will be key whoever is in net for Plymouth.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
As much as I agree with seeing Jones back, this game was Plymouth's least impressive showign defensively in the last several games. NOT saying this is Mitch's fault by any stretch, but MacDonald's absence combined with Jones's return and the lack of defense by Wilson and Rakell (scratches) is at least a blip in defensive chemistry that I agree needs to get addressed. Things were going very well defensively, then the Whalers changed up, and we held our breath - not exactly how I was hoping to spend every playoff game. I have enough confidence in the team (incl coaches) to believe this will smooth out with the remaining games in regular season play, though. Defensive play by all players (incl forwards) will be key whoever is in net for Plymouth.
If all seven defensemen are healthy, I would expect Vellucci to go with the more experienced players and Jones to be the healthy scratch come playoff time. It will just be nice to have a little depth at the position, as the team has been forced to dress only five guys a few times due to injuries.

I think we both agree that defense will be the key to Plymouth having a successful postseason run. Having Ned in goal instead of Mahalak helps, but the defense cannot hang him out to dry like they did on Sunday. Hopefully it was just due to all the scratches, but it is still a concern. The Whalers had a solid goaltender in Scott Wedgewood last year, and the defense let him down in the playoffs.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
WhalerBlue

Jones and Crombeen both told me in February that they would play before the playoffs started. Jones has and Crombeen has not. I really don't expect Crombeen to play. I am not saying it isn't possible, just not anything I would bet on. Provided that we have back Sundays scratches, we should be fine if Crombeen can't go. We are what we are at this point. We can compete with any team in this league. I heard a stat at Sunday' game that I was unsure of. Every game that the Whalers held an opponent to 3 or less goals since December, we have won. Anybody else hear the same thing? When you hear things like that, you like your chances with this firepower.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
I heard a stat at Sunday' game that I was unsure of. Every game that the Whalers held an opponent to 3 or less goals since December, we have won. Anybody else hear the same thing? When you hear things like that, you like your chances with this firepower.
I read something along those lines in the lineup sheet for the game. Looking at the scores on the website, though, it looks like the Whalers lost 2-0 to Barrie on 12/15, 3-2 to Saginaw on 12/7 and 3-2 to Owen Sound on 12/5. So it probably stated since December 27th, their next game after the Barrie loss.

In any case, the offense has certainly been playing great since the beginning of the year.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
I read something along those lines in the lineup sheet for the game. Looking at the scores on the website, though, it looks like the Whalers lost 2-0 to Barrie on 12/15, 3-2 to Saginaw on 12/7 and 3-2 to Owen Sound on 12/5. So it probably stated since December 27th, their next game after the Barrie loss.

In any case, the offense has certainly been playing great since the beginning of the year.
That is the date I assume. Since after Christmas break or perhaps January 1st. It is a pretty impressive stat I think, without going into any detail of how many shots were taken against our goalie. December was the roughest month in my memory for wins.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Wow, 8-0 tonight against a good Sault team. Quite the statement with the playoffs around the corner.
So if the Whale is (as many fans hope for) going to sit Mahalak for playoffs and start the rookie, Im surprised people havent been predicting the demise of the team due to inexperienced goaltending yet. I for one (former junior goalie myself) say its all horsesh*t anyways! Plymouth will be fine...just as the Knights will be with Stolarz.
Sometimes going in with no experience can play in their favour.
Wish the playoffs started sooner!

Old
03-13-2013, 10:05 PM
WhalerBlue

The referees were getting tuned up for the playoffs. They collectively called enough penalties for the whole first round in one game. I think that they sensed something might get stirred up and put those fires out before they really got started by penalizing everybody including the zamboni driver. Holy smokes!

Old
03-14-2013, 05:09 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Wow, 8-0 tonight against a good Sault team. Quite the statement with the playoffs around the corner.
So if the Whale is (as many fans hope for) going to sit Mahalak for playoffs and start the rookie, Im surprised people havent been predicting the demise of the team due to inexperienced goaltending yet. I for one (former junior goalie myself) say its all horsesh*t anyways! Plymouth will be fine...just as the Knights will be with Stolarz.
Sometimes going in with no experience can play in their favour.
Wish the playoffs started sooner!
Nedeljkovic has clearly played much better in net than Mahalak, so starting Ned in the playoffs is a no brainer, even with his lack of experience. The team seems to play more aggressively with him in goal, too. Ned looks like he is going to be one heck of a goalie. Meanwhile, last night was Mahalak's first solid outing in almost a month, as he was pulled in both of his last two starts and had been sitting on the bench for the other games. Hopefully he gained a little confidence from last night's game, just in case he is needed in the postseason.

More rest last night for some players, as MacDonald, Rakell, Wilson and Hartman did not make the trip to Sault Ste Marie. It was nice for the team to get the monkey off its back and finally beat the Soo this season, too, as there is a good chance they will be meeting in the first round.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Since the Whalers have been on a roll since the first of the year, out of curiosity I check the goal differentials since both the start of the new year and over the last 15 games (roughly a month). Here are the results:

1. Since 1/1/13, over 30 games the Whalers have outscored their opponents 162-80, for an average score of 5.4 - 2.67

2. Since 2/9/13, over 15 games the Whalers have outscored their opponents 91-30, for an average score of 6.06 - 2.0

Let's hope they can keep this up once the playoffs begin.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Since the Whalers have been on a roll since the first of the year, out of curiosity I check the goal differentials since both the start of the new year and over the last 15 games (roughly a month). Here are the results:

1. Since 1/1/13, over 30 games the Whalers have outscored their opponents 162-80, for an average score of 5.4 - 2.67

2. Since 2/9/13, over 15 games the Whalers have outscored their opponents 91-30, for an average score of 6.06 - 2.0

Let's hope they can keep this up once the playoffs begin.
That's awesome isn't it! I was at the London - Erie game last night. My first time this year seeing London play live, and they have a pretty big team to say the least. Harrington and Griffith weren't playing but I was still pretty impressed with the way they came out of their own end and through the neutral zone. Maata was probably the best player on the ice last night. They just looked very sound offensively against a weaker Erie team. But that was to be expected even though Erie has given them some tough games this year, beating them twice I think.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:59 AM
WhalerBlue

Last home game. Who will be scratched tonight?

Last edited by WhalerBlue: 03-16-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Rally Donkey

The "Dirty Heardy"

What a beautiful goal by Mitchell Heard last night. Not only was it a sick undressing of Pavelka, it was an OT game winner. You can't ask for better than that. I see why they're calling the move "the dirty Heardy"

Last edited by Rally Donkey: 03-17-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old
03-17-2013, 08:15 AM
WhalerBlue

The first words that came out of my mouth were "Highlight reel material". That was sweet.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:37 AM
go4john

Thanks for sharing the video. Windsor radio announcer Mike Miller did not even say the words "he scores". He just kept saying "wow...wow.. thats the best goal I've seen scored in a number of years." Now I see why, that was ridiculous. Suitcase full of moves.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Wow! That was quite a goal by Heard to win the game. We missed last night's game... went to a St. Paddy's Day party instead. It looks like we missed an entertaining win and a raucous crowd. I am a little surprised by the size of the crowd, considering the game meant nothing and Windsor's season is over.

It is official -- the Whalers get Sarnia in the first round. While no playoff series is easy, I think this is a better matchup for Plymouth than having to face the Soo. The Greyhounds are going to be a very tough team to knock out of the playoffs. It's nice that Owen Sound gets to deal with them, instead of us.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:05 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Wow! That was quite a goal by Heard to win the game. We missed last night's game... went to a St. Paddy's Day party instead. It looks like we missed an entertaining win and a raucous crowd. I am a little surprised by the size of the crowd, considering the game meant nothing and Windsor's season is over.

It is official -- the Whalers get Sarnia in the first round. While no playoff series is easy, I think this is a better matchup for Plymouth than having to face the Soo. The Greyhounds are going to be a very tough team to knock out of the playoffs. It's nice that Owen Sound gets to deal with them, instead of us.
The place was packed. You missed out. There are always nice crowds at the end of the year. Lets see what the crowd looks like next weekend. The 50/50 was $1237.

Last edited by WhalerBlue: 03-17-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Closed Thread