HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Eager - *CLEARED*

Old
03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
cpsman

vCash: 500
lol how many times have the phrases "brown made him expendable" and "didn't see that coming" been stated in this thread?

kind of funny because they contradict each other.

cpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ladies and Gentleman, change is coming.

Big call and a good one.
LOL I see you're working in the front office now.

Congrats on the promotion.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
ponokanocker

It's about time. He has not done as advertised.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
missing Jones.. Petrell and Jones can rotate in and out of the lineup when everyone is healthy.
Harti needs to learn from Brown and become a 2hits\game guy instead of what he has been doing this season.

I knew someone was missing , we have too many wingers :/

Trade ?

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:12 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
LOL I see you're working in the front office now.

Congrats on the promotion.

You would be so sorry if this guy turns out to be Tambo

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Cam98

watch he gets claimed by western conference team, next time he plays Oilers, runs everyone over.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Could have gotten a 4th for him or a conditional 3rd.
Are you the GM of an NHL team that would have given the Oilers a 4th or a conditional 3rd?

If not then you're probably wrong.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ladies and Gentleman, change is coming.

Big call and a good one.
Possibly some better attention to detail going around. I would attribute it to Kreuger if thats the case as he would demand positivity in players.

Eager is a bad guy to have in the locker room. Mike Brown clearly isn't. One guy is a self destructive distraction, the other seemingly has a much more professional attitude around his role.

I guess for me anyway the Brown addition makes a little more sense now.

Also I could see conflict between the two. Eager would know Brown is taking his job. Pretty sure thats how Eager viewed the addition.
People might recall me wondering about it last week. Seeing the two of them out on the ice last week was weird. I sensed some bad blood. I stated that and asked if anybody knew if theres any history. My sense is something might have happened, been stated, or that it was likely to.

Good cleanup though.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:19 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Too bad for Eager and the team. This is a guy that in some ways has the body and skill set to play 3rd or 4th line minutes when he's motivated.

Can't just be the concussion though, otherwise he wouldn't have bounced around as much as he has.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:19 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
He leads our forwards in hits and he has only played 14 games.
So did Stortini, but since Eager isn't going to fight, he doesn't have a position in the current lineup. Hope he gets picked up.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Not surprised by this at all. Brown is a pretty good upgrade for that position on the team.

Good luck to Eager elsewhere, I guess....unless it's in out division/ But I think his (Eager's) fighting days have passed him by.

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Too bad for Eager and the team. This is a guy that in some ways has the body and skill set to play 3rd or 4th line minutes when he's motivated.

Can't just be the concussion though, otherwise he wouldn't have bounced around as much as he has.
This is a guy with an offseason concussion problem that got in a bar fight and was drunk, disorderly and was charged for it. Obviously more going on with this player than a concussion. Not sure either that any of the actions listed are responsible behavior for recovering from post concussion. Pretty sure drinking is supposed to be off that list as well

As far the Org I wish they set higher expectations on players offseason dedication and lifestyle issues. But with having Khabi and Eager back after incidents it sends a mixed message.

The org imo would've been better not to have Eager back at all this year. I don't know that they needed to see anymore of him. That Eager played better this year even suggests that he was gone anyway and the org had already thought him expendable. So why have him in lineup this year? Org could've made an example of him.

The only reason you would play a more intent Ben Eager is to possibly get something for him. I dunno, I imagine they tried to see if there was any interest out there.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:30 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I had Horcoff pegged for one maybe not this off-season but next.

But after seeing how much we actually miss the guy there is no way we can do that unless we find a suitable veteran replacement.
That's just it one of two, and I don't really see another.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:31 PM
joestevens29

Maybe he clears and is dealt for a AHL vet d-man to replace clark.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Gmen 1

Once again, this management missed the boat. Yes I agree we have to many bodies and something had to give. But aren't we one of the smallest, softest teams in the league?????

Sure he may not want to drop the mits as much, but he still has the ability to run around and lean on guys, frig he's 6 2 and 240 that skates like the wind and finishes his checks, isn't that what you want for a 4th liner??????

They should have tried to move 94 or 20 both serve no purpose

Gmen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Six in O6

Not surprised after the Brown trade that Eager is expendable. It kind of sucks we couldn't get anything for him, but honestly that really is telling of where his value is at. He's not even worth an asset at this point. He's a decent skater with good hands but has way too many up and down shifts and takes stupid penalties every single game. I wish he had a bit more hockey sense. It's hard to give up on a guy with his size, but he is clearly expendable at this point and Brown is a superior player by far.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:37 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmen 1 View Post
Once again, this management missed the boat. Yes I agree we have to many bodies and something had to give. But aren't we one of the smallest, softest teams in the league?????

Sure he may not want to drop the mits as much, but he still has the ability to run around and lean on guys, frig he's 6 2 and 240 that skates like the wind and finishes his checks, isn't that what you want for a 4th liner??????

I find it hard to believe that you think an unmotivated Eager is more valuable to the Oilers than Belanger or Smyth.

Not that I'm a huge fan of 94 or 20's games this year, but come on.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Possibly some better attention to detail going around. I would attribute it to Kreuger if thats the case as he would demand positivity in players.

Eager is a bad guy to have in the locker room. Mike Brown clearly isn't. One guy is a self destructive distraction, the other seemingly has a much more professional attitude around his role.

I guess for me anyway the Brown addition makes a little more sense now.

Also I could see conflict between the two. Eager would know Brown is taking his job. Pretty sure thats how Eager viewed the addition.
People might recall me wondering about it last week. Seeing the two of them out on the ice last week was weird. I sensed some bad blood. I stated that and asked if anybody knew if theres any history. My sense is something might have happened, been stated, or that it was likely to.

Good cleanup though.
They knew each other from a summer session during the lockout.. Seemed pretty positive about the guy. I don't think it's anything more than redundancy in the lineup.

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

Just because 94 and 20 deserve to be moved or press boxed doesn't make Eager any less expendable. He wasn't playing the style of game he was brought in to play, so the Oilers got someone who would. And with all those rumours from the media about how unhappy he was with his role on the team, I say good riddance.

I am not a Tambo fan, but fixing his Eager mistake with Brown is a move I do applaud.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
So is this one addition through subtraction?

I don't understand this one at all. Eager is a considerably better hockey player than Mike Brown, Matt Kassian, etc, etc.... Tambellini couldn't get a draft pick out of someone looking for a 4th line grinder?

Obviously too many bodies, but come on.
Do you seriously believe this statement?

Mike Brown has done everything we wanted Eager to do, but better.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:40 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
watch he gets claimed by western conference team, next time he plays Oilers, runs everyone over.
Usually works that way

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:45 PM
OILSLICK94

Was this done to free up a roster spot? (Trade???)

I saw that Lander was returned to OKC, what is our current active roster at.

I am assuming Fistric was sent to IR, or not?

Hall Horcoff Hemsky
Jones RNH Eberle
Paajarvi Gagner Yakupov
Petrell Smyth Brown
Ex. Belanger/Hartikanen

Smid J.Schultz
Whitney Petry
N.Schultz Potter
Ex. Peckham

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:46 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:

Totally disagree. Eager has been terrible this year. No NHL team was even willing to give up a late round pick should be evidence enough just how bad he has been.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
They knew each other from a summer session during the lockout.. Seemed pretty positive about the guy. I don't think it's anything more than redundancy in the lineup.
Thanks.

Eager looked pissed though. On one of the telecast EAger is visibly upset walking off the ice down the tunnel. Wondered what was up with that. Pretty sure it was the First game with Brown in lineup. He looked equally pissed on the bench. Looked like something was eating at him and I commented on it at the time.

Pretty sure Eager would read the cards in anycase. One thing to train with somebody in an offseason session. Its another when you see them coming for your job.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital J View Post
Really disappointed that we waived him. I was hoping he would round out his game. He seemed like the type of guy we need. Brown is playing that role. but to me Eager would have been the type of guy that can hit and chip in 20 goals a year, kinda like Ryan Jones but with a bit more grit. I would think someone will claim him.
No way in hell would Eager ever get 20 goals in a season...ever. The most he ever got was 11 in '08/'09 with Chicago.

The guy just hasn't been the same since that concussion.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote