HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ben Eager Available?

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 12:59 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

vCash: 500
Holmgren is probably licking his lips at the idea of bringing back another former Flyer

Old
03-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Pi

Isn't it against the "rule" to post nitpick posts from another thread?

Old
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You can read into it as literally as you like, I think the posts speak for themselves.
I think they say "nobody said Eager could get Eller" and "nobody said it would take a huge overpayment".

Old
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:
You can read into it as literally as you like, I think the posts speak for themselves.
And you can twist it in any way you like, but it doesn't change the actual message

Old
03-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
HOLY MOLY! You are correct. my bad.
No problem. It's hard to keep track of all that stuff sometimes.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:05 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by oXo Cube View Post
Nowhere in any of that do i read "Eager is untochable," or "Eager has more value than Eller."
I think I saw someone saying that MPS was worth more than Eller at some point during this season... maybe they mixed that up.

As for Eager, I don't get why he's so soft.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
And you can try to twist the post's as you like, no one said Eager was untouchable.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
EveryDay

Quote:

Touche!!!!!!

Old
03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Isn't it against the "rule" to post nitpick posts from another thread?
For the purpose of trolling, yes (e.g. if I go on the Habs board and quote a bunch of posts from the Leafs board and go "LOL look at what these morons are saying!!", yes). For the purpose of providing the requested evidence to an argument...I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I think they say "nobody said Eager could get Eller" and "nobody said it would take a huge overpayment".
Quote:
And you can twist it in any way you like, but it doesn't change the actual message
Here are the actual messages, without any twisting. I'll remind you that Ben Eager is currently on waivers. We have posters...

-Who wouldn't trade Ben Eager for Lars Eller
-Who would want the equivalent of a 2nd round pick (Dalton Thrower) for Ben Eager
-Who say Montreal has nothing they would want in return for Ben Eager
-Who say Ben Eager is worth "no less" than a 3rd round pick
-Who wouldn't trade Ben Eager to Montreal for anything outside of Brandon Prust, a 1st round pick, or one of Montreal's untouchables
-Who claim Ben Eager is too valuable to trade to Montreal and not worthy of being lumped in with waiver-wire fodder

If you guys are all still okay with making those claims even though Ben Eager is currently on waivers then fine, we don't have anything to discuss.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:12 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Yup, the posts do speak for themselves. And none of them said Eager was untouchable or worth Eller.

Quote:
Here are the actual messages, without any twisting. I'll remind you that Ben Eager is currently on waivers. We have posters...

-Who would want the equivalent of a 2nd round pick (Dalton Thrower) for Ben Eager
-Who wouldn't trade Ben Eager to Montreal for anything outside of Brandon Prust, a 1st round pick, or one of Montreal's untouchables
-Who claim Ben Eager is too valuable to trade to Montreal and not worthy of being lumped in with waiver-wire fodder

If you guys are all still okay with making those claims even though Ben Eager is currently on waivers then fine, we don't have anything to discuss.
So overvaluing a player or saying that a different style of player would be a better fit in a trade is the same thing as calling a guy untouchable now?

I , for one, am very pleased Eager is gone. He's big and can skate and that is the extent of his positive qualities. Many Oiler fans feel the same as I. But because a few posters said he's worth a 3rd or that we'd need a better fit than a soft skilled player in return, we all get called out as know-nothing idiots?

Old
03-13-2013, 01:17 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
For the purpose of trolling, yes (e.g. if I go on the Habs board and quote a bunch of posts from the Leafs board and go "LOL look at what these morons are saying!!", yes). For the purpose of providing the requested evidence to an argument...I don't think so.

You're neglecting that the Oilers replaced Eager's toughness already. That instantly made him less valuable to us. At the point those posts were made, yes, we would have wanted an overpayment for him. None of those posts say that we wouldn't trade him for Eller either, for what its worth. Mike Brown took his spot, so he's now expendable. Its pretty simple, sometimes teams can't move certain types of players without getting a replacement first.

On another point, why is this not merged with the stickied thread? There have been more interesting threads than this one locked of recent.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:

So you're right, nobody typed the actual words "Ben Eager is untouchable". Unfortunately the actual evidence is even more damning, such as it is.
So because a few Oiler fans are out to lunch and out of touch with reality in regards to what Eager is worth Your going to generalize a whole fan base. Every team has fans that make weird comment's it's easy to point them out when it's suiting.

I am glad Eager is gone, he could skate a straight line, hit and fight and he does not really hit or fight anymore so he is of no use.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Yup, the posts do speak for themselves. And none of them said Eager was untouchable or worth Eller.

So overvaluing a player or saying that a different style of player would be a better fit in a trade is the same thing as calling a guy untouchable now?
I think writing something like "Right now Eager isn't going anywhere, unless a team wants to give the Oilers something they need" and "I don't care where or why Eager fits into the Habs line-up because it's not going to happen. He's a valuable piece on the Oilers that we sorely need" is as close as you can come to calling a guy untouchable without actually typing the words. I don't think I'm the one doing the supposed twisting, here. It seems to me like there are posters who grotesquely exaggerated Eager's value (which was the entire point Drydenwasthebest was making) and, when faced with evidence that they did just that, are trying to escape on a technicality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tarkanian View Post
So because a few Oiler fans are out to lunch and out of touch with reality in regards to what Eager is worth Your going to generalize a whole fan base. Every team has fans that make stupid comment's it's easy to point them out when it's suiting.
I never generalized any fanbase, in fact I specifically said "certain posters said this"...which they did. I even provided quotes to back up my argument, so I don't see how I could possibly be accused of generalizing any fanbase.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Several people asked for proof, he provided it. Accept and move on, don't dig a bigger hole.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:21 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I think writing something like "Right now Eager isn't going anywhere, unless a team wants to give the Oilers something they need" and "I don't care where or why Eager fits into the Habs line-up because it's not going to happen. He's a valuable piece on the Oilers that we sorely need" is as close as you can come to calling a guy untouchable without actually typing the words. I don't think I'm the one doing the supposed twisting, here. It seems to me like there are posters who grotesquely exaggerated Eager's value (which was the entire point Drydenwasthebest was making) and, when faced with evidence that they did just that, are trying to escape on a technicality.
I think its safe to say that if the Oilers hadn't traded for Mike Brown, and if he wasn't working out so well, Ben Eager would not be on waivers, nor would he be movable until we had a replacement. Its not rocket science here, the Oilers couldn't sacrifice toughness at that point. Now they can, and Eager is expendable.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:25 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I think its safe to say that if the Oilers hadn't traded for Mike Brown, and if he wasn't working out so well, Ben Eager would not be on waivers, nor would he be movable until we had a replacement. Its not rocket science here, the Oilers couldn't sacrifice toughness at that point. Now they can, and Eager is expendable.
Agreed, there's a logic to that. But there's nothing wrong with coming out and saying that ("yes, we probably overvalued Eager since toughness in our lineup was at a premium until we got Brown") instead of just flat-out denying anything of the sort ever occured.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Drydenwasthebest

For those asking about that other thread, here it is:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1364261

Some of the pertinent points:

An Oiler fan asked for Eller for Eager and a 2nd. Another Oiler fan pointed out Montreal wouldn't do it and that Eller was too soft, anyway.

An Oiler fan asked about Thrower for Eager. He was rebuffed.

Then Oiler fans started saying Eager would need an overpayment, was "untouchable" etc...

Quote:
I don't want to trade him, that's what I've said all along and I stick to it. I don't care if the Habs should or not, because I wouldn't be happy with any offer we got for him. Stop avoiding the question, what makes Ben Eager a scrub, borderline NHL'er, who wouldn't make 29 NHL teams and wouldn't be picked up on waivers?

This is the last time I ask it. If you can't come up with an answer, you'll be exposed as the troll you are being.
It was a thread that had quite a few deleted posts, as well. Many Oiler fans were saying that Eager could not be traded for scraps, wouldn't be placed on waivers, etc. Montreal fans tried to explain that Eager is not what we need, and that it was ludicrous to bring up names like Eller and Thrower for a 4th line energy guy that didn't want to fight anymore and would probably be waiver wire fodder due to him not being a player willing or able to drop the gloves, anymore. Feel free to go read the thread.

I do love this last post, the last line, though:

Quote:
That's a ridiculous statement from someone who obviously hasn't been watching Eager play this year. He's been playing very good hockey. He's actually got great hockey skills, that's why he was a first round pick. His offense never developed, but he's a very good 4th liner. Especially now that he has become smarter and doesn't take stupid penalties often. A lot of teams would put in a claim for Eager if he were put on waivers. He's not some bum like Colton Orr who is only good at throwing his fists. He won't be put on waivers anyway.
As I said, I watch a lot of hockey. I know Eager had value, but he is exactly what I stated: a 4th line energy guy unwilling to do one of the more important parts of his job: fight. As such, his value was reduced to that of "potential waiver wire fodder". The truth is in the fact that he was just put on waivers.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:26 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Calling a player untouchable is very different than saying he currently has value to the team and a move would have to make sense.

Quote:
I never generalized any fanbase, in fact I specifically said "certain posters said this"...which they did. I even provided quotes to back up my argument, so I don't see how I could possibly be accused of generalizing any fanbase.
No you didn't. You only provided cover for a poster that did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus View Post
Several people asked for proof, he provided it. Accept and move on, don't dig a bigger hole.
He didn't provide proof. No one has ever called Eager untouchable.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:27 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Agreed, there's a logic to that. But there's nothing wrong with coming out and saying that ("yes, we probably overvalued Eager since toughness in our lineup was at a premium until we got Brown") instead of just flat-out denying anything of the sort ever occured.
The big one I was disagreeing with was that we wouldn't have traded him for Eller. Even with the posts you've found, there's nobody who said that at all.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:

Saw Eager and a Second for Eller.... That was it.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:30 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
For those asking about that other thread, here it is:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1364261

Some of the pertinent points:

An Oiler fan asked for Eller for Eager and a 2nd. Another Oiler fan pointed out Montreal wouldn't do it and that Eller was too soft, anyway.

An Oiler fan asked about Thrower for Eager. He was rebuffed.

Then Oiler fans started saying Eager would need an overpayment, was "untouchable" etc...

It was a thread that had quite a few deleted posts, as well. Many Oiler fans were saying that Eager could not be traded for scraps, wouldn't be placed on waivers, etc. Montreal fans tried to explain that Eager is not what we need, and that it was ludicrous to bring up names like Eller and Thrower for a 4th line energy guy that didn't want to fight anymore and would probably be waiver wire fodder due to him not being a player willing or able to drop the gloves, anymore. Feel free to go read the thread.

I do love this last post, the last line, though:

As I said, I watch a lot of hockey. I know Eager had value, but he is exactly what I stated: a 4th line energy guy unwilling to do one of the more important parts of his job: fight. As such, his value was reduced to that of "potential waiver wire fodder". The truth is in the fact that he was just put on waivers.
Again, team needs were different before we got Mike Brown. If we hadn't picked him up, its pretty safe to say that, unless we made a different trade, Ben Eager would not have been put on waivers today. At the time, Eager was essential. We couldn't have moved him unless we were getting toughness back. We got that in a separate deal. Times change. Needs change. Simple as that.

There seems to be a pretty big backlash, considering the message from before was that Oil fans were wanting something we need to give up something we couldn't afford to give up. We can afford to give him up now. In fact, we didn't have the extra roster spot to keep him up.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:33 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:

These are all borderline outrageous.

They do not, however, allude to the comments in the quoted post that started this entire debate.

Nobody said Eager was untouchable. and the dude that said he wouldn't trade him for Eller opened his statement with 'mtl wouldn't do this' for a reason

Old
03-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
These are all borderline outrageous.

They do not, however, allude to the comments in the quoted post that started this entire debate.

Nobody said Eager was untouchable. and the dude that said he wouldn't trade him for Eller opened his statement with 'mtl wouldn't do this' for a reason
1--What does "I wouldn't be happy with any offer we got for him" mean to you, if not "untouchable"? Especially when names like Eller and Thrower had already been tossed around.

2--Yes, he OPENED his statemement with that, but he ended it with an implication that Eller was too soft to accept for Eager. Otherwise, why even make that statement?

In any case, I am sorry to all for bringing this back to light. Sigh...I am actually a bit of an Oiler fan (Habs first, always). I simply was peeved at how that previous thread went, and felt vindicated by Eager being waived. Just like I said he could be. Interpretation, misunderstandings, etc...could all be in play here. So, I apologize for dragging this thread down. No need to continue. As I said elsewhere, I truly hope Eager rediscovers his fighting touch in the minors and comes back as the player he used to be.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:53 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
he's on waivers now, trade value discussion seems kind of irrelevant now, especially since there was not a lot of trade value discussion anyways

Old
03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
1--What does "I wouldn't be happy with any offer we got for him" mean to you, if not "untouchable"? Especially when names like Eller and Thrower had already been tossed around.

2--Yes, he OPENED his statemement with that, but he ended it with an implication that Eller was too soft to accept for Eager. Otherwise, why even make that statement?

In any case, I am sorry to all for bringing this back to light. Sigh...I am actually a bit of an Oiler fan (Habs first, always). I simply was peeved at how that previous thread went, and felt vindicated by Eager being waived. Just like I said he could be. Interpretation, misunderstandings, etc...could all be in play here. So, I apologize for dragging this thread down. No need to continue. As I said elsewhere, I truly hope Eager rediscovers his fighting touch in the minors and comes back as the player he used to be.
Seriously, get over it man. We needed team toughness, which is why I said I wouldn't be happy in moving him...because Montreal didn't have a tough guy to send back. Its all about team needs. We got Mike Brown, it made Eager expendable. At the time, he wasn't waiver fodder, we needed him. Now we don't, because we got a better tough guy to replace him.

Closed Thread