HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Impact Thread 13.0 - The Stickied Edition?!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2013, 06:20 PM
  #826
LaurentHabs
Wat.
 
LaurentHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I'm somewhat glad that **** sucker won't join the team, just like JDGII. If they had any ****ing pride, they would be playing for Canada already.
I agree with you about the Pride aspect. But considering Canada's ethnicity diversity, you can't really blame them. Most people have a dual citizenship, or at least most people that were born in the 80-90s. I'm not sure about the statistics concerning the citizenship of the upcoming talents, so its hard to evaluate the future. I'm proud to be a Canadian. But put yourself in JonathanDG's shoes. He is a good player, and even though he could easily be a star in the Canadian Program and help to kickstart it, he has a chance to play for one of the worlds best squads. Now in between me and you, I'm pretty sure he'll never be a starter in the Dutch XI. The guy grew up in the Dutch league in a Dutch environment in the most crucial years of his life/development (as a teenager)

I'm just hoping the upcoming generation of players are born in Canada and are proud to be Canadian. The thing though, is you have to get them young. If you look at England, the players that get called up to the youth squad are really proud and often scrutinized by the media, making them feel important. They train in top quality facilities and are treated like kings. In Canada though...

Hard to explain. I'm 100% with you. I don't want players that play for Canada as sloppy seconds because they can't get in the other national team which they are eligible to join. But at the same time, I would take both of them (Hoilett and JDG) if they wanted back in just to hopefully kickstart the program and gain exposure

LaurentHabs is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
  #827
JunglePete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 500
Well in order to avoid that problem, why not call up players showing good potential aged 17-20 through Academies be4 they realize they are good enough to play for Netherlands/England/Italy or whatever. Bryan Cristante AC Milan player something like that is Canadian. I saw few players in Serie A and Bundesliga as well. Also benifits we should give them. All this is caused by unwillingness.

JunglePete is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
  #828
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Can someone please explain this whole team canada issue for non-soccer people?
There are many problems with Soccer in Canada which explain the reason why the National Team just plain sucks.

The development structure is very weak, youth players are encouraged to fly overseas to have a better development. So young players aged between 15 and 18 yrs old leave the country, go get developed elsewhere, and sometimes get a new citizenship and decide to play for the other country because that other country have a better chance playing in the World Cup.

Individually the team last year was solid on paper, but the team overall just plain sucked, the main reason is the complete amateurish Canadian Soccer Association, which don't even bother having a proper preperation for the team.

There are also talented players who were born with dual-citizenship but decide to play for the other country. Jonathan De Guzman, Junio Hoilett and Owen Hargreaves are the most famous names that decided to play for other countries.

Captain Saku is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 12:18 AM
  #829
Rumcajs
Registered User
 
Rumcajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
At least we have some MLS franchises that will bring upon a much better product in NA

Also, again anyone know how long Felipe is signed for?

Rumcajs is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 12:54 AM
  #830
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 50
Camara is applying for Canadian citizenship, per RDS. Would he be allowed to play for team Canada ?

FF de Mars is online now  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:40 AM
  #831
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 16,637
vCash: 500
Guys, go look at Sounders - Tigres highlights. Traoré's goal is unbelievable.

The Russian General is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:45 AM
  #832
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 16,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
I agree with you about the Pride aspect. But considering Canada's ethnicity diversity, you can't really blame them. Most people have a dual citizenship, or at least most people that were born in the 80-90s. I'm not sure about the statistics concerning the citizenship of the upcoming talents, so its hard to evaluate the future. I'm proud to be a Canadian. But put yourself in JonathanDG's shoes. He is a good player, and even though he could easily be a star in the Canadian Program and help to kickstart it, he has a chance to play for one of the worlds best squads. Now in between me and you, I'm pretty sure he'll never be a starter in the Dutch XI. The guy grew up in the Dutch league in a Dutch environment in the most crucial years of his life/development (as a teenager)

I'm just hoping the upcoming generation of players are born in Canada and are proud to be Canadian. The thing though, is you have to get them young. If you look at England, the players that get called up to the youth squad are really proud and often scrutinized by the media, making them feel important. They train in top quality facilities and are treated like kings. In Canada though...

Hard to explain. I'm 100% with you. I don't want players that play for Canada as sloppy seconds because they can't get in the other national team which they are eligible to join. But at the same time, I would take both of them (Hoilett and JDG) if they wanted back in just to hopefully kickstart the program and gain exposure
If I was in JDGII shoes, I'd never want to play for that squad. I ****ing hate their team and I'm always happy to see Portugal beat them

That said, I'd play for Canada over Portugal if you asked me today. Not sure that would've been my answer 8-10 years ago. But I'll never have to make that choice, sadly

The Russian General is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 08:18 AM
  #833
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
There are many problems with Soccer in Canada which explain the reason why the National Team just plain sucks.

The development structure is very weak, youth players are encouraged to fly overseas to have a better development. So young players aged between 15 and 18 yrs old leave the country, go get developed elsewhere, and sometimes get a new citizenship and decide to play for the other country because that other country have a better chance playing in the World Cup.

Individually the team last year was solid on paper, but the team overall just plain sucked, the main reason is the complete amateurish Canadian Soccer Association, which don't even bother having a proper preperation for the team.

There are also talented players who were born with dual-citizenship but decide to play for the other country. Jonathan De Guzman, Junio Hoilett and Owen Hargreaves are the most famous names that decided to play for other countries.
Thank you I understand now.

ClasslessGuy is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 11:48 AM
  #834
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,367
vCash: 500
Could Camara help our national team ?

Hoilett is either going to play for Enlgand or Jamaica.....

JDG2 will be a call up for Holland and will likely never play a meaningful match.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 12:11 PM
  #835
shawnt*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Anyone know if there have been any improvements at Stade Saputo during the off-season? The concourse area was pretty bad last year with no places to sit and overall just felt cheap and uncomfortable. Last season they were in a rush to be on time and the priority was the stands so it was understandable.

shawnt* is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
  #836
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 50
Article on La Presse about OS roof and the chances of snow for saturday's game

ClasslessGuy is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 01:00 PM
  #837
peate
Good grief!
 
peate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Article on La Presse about OS roof and the chances of snow for saturday's game
Luckily it's not in the weather predictions, but what an embarrassment that would be if they had to cancel due to weather in a covered stadium.

I also saw that they have a brand new surface to play on, some new type of AstroTurf. Game is on RDS btw yay.

peate is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 01:27 PM
  #838
gelu88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brossard, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Looks like a new decision on a roof will come out over the summer.

The most important thing to note is that the $300 million from 2-3 years ago no longer applies. Whatever they come up with, its gonna be different, most probably somewhat cheaper.

So we don't need to be TOTALLY cynical about it

gelu88 is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
  #839
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,996
vCash: 500
I think the roof has more to chance to collapse than finally taking a decision and move forward with the project unfortunatelly.

Captain Saku is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
  #840
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 50
We need a roof like the one on the mariners new stadium

ClasslessGuy is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:34 PM
  #841
Bask
Embellishing User
 
Bask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montréal
Posts: 5,585
vCash: 500
i'm new to soccer, never been into it much, but I watched the second game and kinda liked it (45+ min straight without a single ad )

how often do they play? once a week just like the als?

Bask is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:39 PM
  #842
gunners14henry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
i'm new to soccer, never been into it much, but I watched the second game and kinda liked it (45+ min straight without a single ad )

how often do they play? once a week just like the als?
Normally once, at most twice a week.


Last edited by gunners14henry: 03-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.
gunners14henry is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
  #843
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.
 
Montreal Impact FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 1,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
i'm new to soccer, never been into it much, but I watched the second game and kinda liked it (45+ min straight without a single ad )

how often do they play? once a week just like the als?
Its just an amazing sport try to convert your friends as well we need to built impact nation. we need to become bigger and stronger

Montreal Impact FC is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
  #844
EurOConnEcton
Registered User
 
EurOConnEcton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
I been converting... i got 5 my friends to come with me to home opener and if it goes well and they enjoy it, prob go c couple more game in the summer with even bigger group.

EurOConnEcton is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 04:38 PM
  #845
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 16,637
vCash: 500
Can't wait for home opener.

OH TORONTO...

IS FULL OF ****!

The Russian General is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 06:08 PM
  #846
DonnieBrasco
Registered User
 
DonnieBrasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EurOConnEcton View Post
I been converting... i got 5 my friends to come with me to home opener and if it goes well and they enjoy it, prob go c couple more game in the summer with even bigger group.
That's great !

DonnieBrasco is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 06:14 PM
  #847
MontrealYul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
I convinced my girlfriend to come to the game with me on Saturday

I also went to a few games with a couple of friends last year and they loved it!

MontrealYul is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 07:43 PM
  #848
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,996
vCash: 500
Tissot was practicing on the left wing today with the starting team. Interesting solution. It's also interesting that Schalli doesn't seem wanting to give Smith a chance, it's certainly not because of age because he's older than Tissot.

Pisanu might not play on saturday.

Captain Saku is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
  #849
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
I just read that Obafemi Martins is pretty much a done deal to Seattle. Sucks to see one of my favorite players from NUFC back in the day sign to another MLS team.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
  #850
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,107
vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Tissot was practicing on the left wing today with the starting team. Interesting solution. It's also interesting that Schalli doesn't seem wanting to give Smith a chance, it's certainly not because of age because he's older than Tissot.

Pisanu might not play on saturday.
Tissot showed great things offensively during our camp in Florida so it might not be a bad idea to convert him to LW. We have Brovsky who is VERY solid at LB and we have another young back up in Iapichino. Tissot's best chance at a permanent spot might be at LW and LW is far from our biggest strenght. Mapp sucks, Nyassi is better on the right side and even if Romero might be the starter there, we need a decent back up. Especially since Romero is great on the right too.

I'd like to see Tissot start the game at LW, we have nothing to lose.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.