HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Impact Thread 13.0 - The Stickied Edition?!

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 06:20 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I'm somewhat glad that **** sucker won't join the team, just like JDGII. If they had any ****ing pride, they would be playing for Canada already.
I agree with you about the Pride aspect. But considering Canada's ethnicity diversity, you can't really blame them. Most people have a dual citizenship, or at least most people that were born in the 80-90s. I'm not sure about the statistics concerning the citizenship of the upcoming talents, so its hard to evaluate the future. I'm proud to be a Canadian. But put yourself in JonathanDG's shoes. He is a good player, and even though he could easily be a star in the Canadian Program and help to kickstart it, he has a chance to play for one of the worlds best squads. Now in between me and you, I'm pretty sure he'll never be a starter in the Dutch XI. The guy grew up in the Dutch league in a Dutch environment in the most crucial years of his life/development (as a teenager)

I'm just hoping the upcoming generation of players are born in Canada and are proud to be Canadian. The thing though, is you have to get them young. If you look at England, the players that get called up to the youth squad are really proud and often scrutinized by the media, making them feel important. They train in top quality facilities and are treated like kings. In Canada though...

Hard to explain. I'm 100% with you. I don't want players that play for Canada as sloppy seconds because they can't get in the other national team which they are eligible to join. But at the same time, I would take both of them (Hoilett and JDG) if they wanted back in just to hopefully kickstart the program and gain exposure

Old
03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
JunglePete

Well in order to avoid that problem, why not call up players showing good potential aged 17-20 through Academies be4 they realize they are good enough to play for Netherlands/England/Italy or whatever. Bryan Cristante AC Milan player something like that is Canadian. I saw few players in Serie A and Bundesliga as well. Also benifits we should give them. All this is caused by unwillingness.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Can someone please explain this whole team canada issue for non-soccer people?
There are many problems with Soccer in Canada which explain the reason why the National Team just plain sucks.

The development structure is very weak, youth players are encouraged to fly overseas to have a better development. So young players aged between 15 and 18 yrs old leave the country, go get developed elsewhere, and sometimes get a new citizenship and decide to play for the other country because that other country have a better chance playing in the World Cup.

Individually the team last year was solid on paper, but the team overall just plain sucked, the main reason is the complete amateurish Canadian Soccer Association, which don't even bother having a proper preperation for the team.

There are also talented players who were born with dual-citizenship but decide to play for the other country. Jonathan De Guzman, Junio Hoilett and Owen Hargreaves are the most famous names that decided to play for other countries.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Rumcajs

At least we have some MLS franchises that will bring upon a much better product in NA

Also, again anyone know how long Felipe is signed for?

Old
03-13-2013, 12:54 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Camara is applying for Canadian citizenship, per RDS. Would he be allowed to play for team Canada ?

Old
03-13-2013, 02:40 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Guys, go look at Sounders - Tigres highlights. Traoré's goal is unbelievable.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:45 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
I agree with you about the Pride aspect. But considering Canada's ethnicity diversity, you can't really blame them. Most people have a dual citizenship, or at least most people that were born in the 80-90s. I'm not sure about the statistics concerning the citizenship of the upcoming talents, so its hard to evaluate the future. I'm proud to be a Canadian. But put yourself in JonathanDG's shoes. He is a good player, and even though he could easily be a star in the Canadian Program and help to kickstart it, he has a chance to play for one of the worlds best squads. Now in between me and you, I'm pretty sure he'll never be a starter in the Dutch XI. The guy grew up in the Dutch league in a Dutch environment in the most crucial years of his life/development (as a teenager)

I'm just hoping the upcoming generation of players are born in Canada and are proud to be Canadian. The thing though, is you have to get them young. If you look at England, the players that get called up to the youth squad are really proud and often scrutinized by the media, making them feel important. They train in top quality facilities and are treated like kings. In Canada though...

Hard to explain. I'm 100% with you. I don't want players that play for Canada as sloppy seconds because they can't get in the other national team which they are eligible to join. But at the same time, I would take both of them (Hoilett and JDG) if they wanted back in just to hopefully kickstart the program and gain exposure
If I was in JDGII shoes, I'd never want to play for that squad. I ****ing hate their team and I'm always happy to see Portugal beat them

That said, I'd play for Canada over Portugal if you asked me today. Not sure that would've been my answer 8-10 years ago. But I'll never have to make that choice, sadly

Old
03-13-2013, 08:18 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
There are many problems with Soccer in Canada which explain the reason why the National Team just plain sucks.

The development structure is very weak, youth players are encouraged to fly overseas to have a better development. So young players aged between 15 and 18 yrs old leave the country, go get developed elsewhere, and sometimes get a new citizenship and decide to play for the other country because that other country have a better chance playing in the World Cup.

Individually the team last year was solid on paper, but the team overall just plain sucked, the main reason is the complete amateurish Canadian Soccer Association, which don't even bother having a proper preperation for the team.

There are also talented players who were born with dual-citizenship but decide to play for the other country. Jonathan De Guzman, Junio Hoilett and Owen Hargreaves are the most famous names that decided to play for other countries.
Thank you I understand now.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:48 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Could Camara help our national team ?

Hoilett is either going to play for Enlgand or Jamaica.....

JDG2 will be a call up for Holland and will likely never play a meaningful match.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:11 PM
shawnt*

Anyone know if there have been any improvements at Stade Saputo during the off-season? The concourse area was pretty bad last year with no places to sit and overall just felt cheap and uncomfortable. Last season they were in a rush to be on time and the priority was the stands so it was understandable.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
ClasslessGuy

Article on La Presse about OS roof and the chances of snow for saturday's game

Old
03-13-2013, 01:00 PM
peate
Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Article on La Presse about OS roof and the chances of snow for saturday's game
Luckily it's not in the weather predictions, but what an embarrassment that would be if they had to cancel due to weather in a covered stadium.

I also saw that they have a brand new surface to play on, some new type of AstroTurf. Game is on RDS btw yay.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:27 PM
gelu88

Looks like a new decision on a roof will come out over the summer.

The most important thing to note is that the $300 million from 2-3 years ago no longer applies. Whatever they come up with, its gonna be different, most probably somewhat cheaper.

So we don't need to be TOTALLY cynical about it

Old
03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Captain Saku

I think the roof has more to chance to collapse than finally taking a decision and move forward with the project unfortunatelly.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
ClasslessGuy

We need a roof like the one on the mariners new stadium

Old
03-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

i'm new to soccer, never been into it much, but I watched the second game and kinda liked it (45+ min straight without a single ad )

how often do they play? once a week just like the als?

Old
03-13-2013, 02:39 PM
gunners14henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
i'm new to soccer, never been into it much, but I watched the second game and kinda liked it (45+ min straight without a single ad )

Normally once, at most twice a week.

Last edited by gunners14henry: 03-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old
03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post

Its just an amazing sport try to convert your friends as well we need to built impact nation. we need to become bigger and stronger

Old
03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
EurOConnEcton

I been converting... i got 5 my friends to come with me to home opener and if it goes well and they enjoy it, prob go c couple more game in the summer with even bigger group.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:38 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Can't wait for home opener.

OH TORONTO...

IS FULL OF ****!

Old
03-13-2013, 06:08 PM
DonnieBrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by EurOConnEcton View Post
I been converting... i got 5 my friends to come with me to home opener and if it goes well and they enjoy it, prob go c couple more game in the summer with even bigger group.
That's great !

Old
03-13-2013, 06:14 PM
MontrealYul

I convinced my girlfriend to come to the game with me on Saturday

I also went to a few games with a couple of friends last year and they loved it!

Old
03-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Captain Saku

Tissot was practicing on the left wing today with the starting team. Interesting solution. It's also interesting that Schalli doesn't seem wanting to give Smith a chance, it's certainly not because of age because he's older than Tissot.

Pisanu might not play on saturday.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

I just read that Obafemi Martins is pretty much a done deal to Seattle. Sucks to see one of my favorite players from NUFC back in the day sign to another MLS team.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Tissot was practicing on the left wing today with the starting team. Interesting solution. It's also interesting that Schalli doesn't seem wanting to give Smith a chance, it's certainly not because of age because he's older than Tissot.

Pisanu might not play on saturday.
Tissot showed great things offensively during our camp in Florida so it might not be a bad idea to convert him to LW. We have Brovsky who is VERY solid at LB and we have another young back up in Iapichino. Tissot's best chance at a permanent spot might be at LW and LW is far from our biggest strenght. Mapp sucks, Nyassi is better on the right side and even if Romero might be the starter there, we need a decent back up. Especially since Romero is great on the right too.

I'd like to see Tissot start the game at LW, we have nothing to lose.

Closed Thread