HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Valeri Nichushkin - Chelyabinsk, KHL (2013, 10th overall, Dallas)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Fulcrum

vCash: 500
I just think to score at his age in KHL playoffs the way he does and consistently! Means he's a special special player. His obviously very talented so why not compare him to one of the greats. I'm just reflecting the impact that I see him make with every game I watch traktor- currently my favourite team.

His coach had a good point though, opposing team not really trying to shutdown Nichushkin. So we'll see

Last edited by Fulcrum: 03-11-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Do NHL teams bring in interpreters when they interview Russian prospects or do they rely upon their Russian scouts to do the talking?
I believe that's where Igor Larionov come in. Seems like he's responsible for every Russian prospects nowadays

Old
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
I believe that's where Igor Larionov come in. Seems like he's responsible for every Russian prospects nowadays
Nope, he's just an agent. Only responsible for His clients.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:23 PM
habsrule4eva3089

From the brief moments I've seen him, reminds me of glimpses of Eric Staal, tries to use his size and speed at all times, good sense of the game. Good player, though it'll be interesting to see how he reacts when he comes over and gets introduced to physical play.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
That's about right. I'd call it a more accurate yet most likely still stupid. Just saying don't bother comparing players to Gretzky or Lemiuex because every time you say "X" player is like Mario you would have to say "except waaay worse". Which isn't even fair to the prospect. There are lots of big players to compare to that would be more accurate. But if the OP is really putting Nichushkin at the level of Mario he's clearly out of his mind. It would be more likely that Nichushkin turns into a tall 50 point player like Hanzal than a tall 2ppg player like Mario.
What do you think of Nichushkin's playoffs so far? His positioning and offensive zone play? Just curious

I just don't see how Hanzal at the peak of his career on his best day do some of the things Nichushkin seems to do consistently.

Last edited by Fulcrum: 03-11-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 09:03 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

He reminds me of Artem Anisimov

Old
03-12-2013, 12:36 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
What do you think of Nichushkin's playoffs so far? His positioning and offensive zone play? Just curious

I just don't see how Hanzal at the peak of his career on his best day do some of the things Nichushkin seems to do consistently.
Haven't seen him play outside of the WJC.

I just don't see how Nichushkin at the peak of his career on his best day do the things Mario Lemiuex did. I some how doubt Nichushkin will ever have the highest PPG ever in the NHL like Mario did (after his first retirement). Do you understand how good that is? Lets say Nichushkin has a better career than anyone expects and he is a PPG player. Mario was over 2ppg before he retired. There is a far better chance that Nichushkin ends up as a 50-60 point player than he will become the caliber of Lemieux, Gretzky, Howe, or Kharlamov. There If you are using him as a Mario lite that's like giving directions to Sydney Austraila by saying "go to the North Pole and head south". Its in no way accurate. I know you have the Russian flag beside your name and I expect a littler homerism and I'm good with that. If he was anywhere near Lemieux, I mean if they expected half of Lemieux he would be the #1 prospect. Or maybe you see something that no one else in the whole world sees in him

Old
03-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
How exactly, their height yes. That's about it.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:07 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
How exactly, their height yes. That's about it.
nah.. they also shoot left!

Old
03-12-2013, 03:20 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Nope. Anisimov is a dipsy-doodle type, Nichushkin is a straight-forward north-south player. I'm a big fan of both players, but they're different.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Please don't let Larionov anywhere near Nichushkin.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:29 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Perhaps I'm missing something but, looking at his stats why does he only have 6 points in 18 games at the KHL level? Also in the MHL and VHL he was also under a point per game. I'm not neglecting his skill set but I find it odd that anyone would consider him among the top 5-8 prospects when he is not even at a ppg level. The KHL is understandable because it is the 2nd-3rd best league in the world, but the lower tier leagues should be compared to the OHL and the Q. Yet he didn't exactly dominate from a stats perspective. Looking at the world juniors he once again didn't light up the score sheet. Now I understand plenty of prospects don't put up points in these tournaments. But Nichushkin hasn't put up large points anywhere?

Old
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
NMF78

Quote:
Perhaps I'm missing something but, looking at his stats why does he only have 6 points in 18 games at the KHL level? Also in the MHL and VHL he was also under a point per game. I'm not neglecting his skill set but I find it odd that anyone would consider him among the top 5-8 prospects when he is not even at a ppg level. The KHL is understandable because it is the 2nd-3rd best league in the world, but the lower tier leagues should be compared to the OHL and the Q. Yet he didn't exactly dominate from a stats perspective. Looking at the world juniors he once again didn't light up the score sheet. Now I understand plenty of prospects don't put up points in these tournaments. But Nichushkin hasn't put up large points anywhere?
I don't know for shure but i suspect it has to do with lack of playing time. At the moment the way he is performing in the KHL playoffs (the 2e best league in the world no question about that) is pretty sick.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Oan

Quote:
Do you seriously think that european 17-year olds should be putting ppg-pace in their countries mens pro leagues? They aren't some north american junior leagues where any half decent prospect puts up ppg or more.

Only 17-year old who has even come close to ppg in recent years is Barkov this season (0,90 ppg) and that is truly exceptional accomplishment, and should not be expected from every euro draft eligible.

edit. My god, read that again and bolded that part, you seriously are straight up comparing junior leagues with pro leagues? Ppg in european pro league is the same as ppg in north american junior league?

Old
03-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Zine

Nichushkin had hernia surgery before the season started (missed the August 2012 Canada–Russia Challenge). His 9 game MHL stint was probably used to recouperate and get into game shape. He was then sent to the VHL (which is much better than any junior league in the world).

Old
03-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
Haven't seen him play outside of the WJC.

I just don't see how Nichushkin at the peak of his career on his best day do the things Mario Lemiuex did. I some how doubt Nichushkin will ever have the highest PPG ever in the NHL like Mario did (after his first retirement). Do you understand how good that is? Lets say Nichushkin has a better career than anyone expects and he is a PPG player. Mario was over 2ppg before he retired. There is a far better chance that Nichushkin ends up as a 50-60 point player than he will become the caliber of Lemieux, Gretzky, Howe, or Kharlamov. There If you are using him as a Mario lite that's like giving directions to Sydney Austraila by saying "go to the North Pole and head south". Its in no way accurate. I know you have the Russian flag beside your name and I expect a littler homerism and I'm good with that. If he was anywhere near Lemieux, I mean if they expected half of Lemieux he would be the #1 prospect. Or maybe you see something that no one else in the whole world sees in him
Why are you bringing ppg into this? I'm not comparing nichushkin with lemieux as players. I'm sayin that Nichushkins style resembles Mario. He can grab the puck anywhere on his ice and bring to the net with his reach and speed. Again and again. So far no one has actually managed to stop him effectively- and he's only 17.

Anyway it's not much of a discussion since you don't actually watch the games with him...

Old
03-12-2013, 11:28 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

When on his game, Nichushkin is so hard to get off the puck and he can be flat out dominant at times as well

Old
03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Came here to see Nichu discussion... and I'm leaving empty-handed
Indeed. Unfortunately this is the case sometimes with these threads.

Anyway, this guy had 11pts (5g6a) in 4 games at a recent U18 five nations tournament. Scouts say this guy flat out dominated in a way that's not very common at this level.

Anyone who takes the time to actually watch the guy play can see that this is a special player.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
canucksPK

Quote:
Grinding for peanuts? NHL teams will pay the player if they are worth it.They are not here... because they can't crack the NHL top 6 and are too soft for the bottom 6. Once again you are missing the point, I never said Europe does not produce high end talent, they obviously do. I am not pleading ignorance.. Are you seriously telling me that the European leagues are on par with the NHL, but they choose not to come here because of family, money, etc..? The most skilled Europeans playing on top lines can't crack the NHL top 6 or 9 and don't have the guts or defensive prowess to be 4th line guys, so because of this they are on par with NHL players? There are plenty of guys with skill that never made the NHL Rob Schremp comes to mind, they lack the other things to stick here in this league. What is your measure of talent? The ability to stick handle in a phone booth? Then get crushed by 6'5 Hal Gill? NHL teams give these guys a shot all the time, the ones that play well stay here. The ones that don't go on to play somewhere else.
I stated this earlier I don't think Nichushkin should be ranked this high because he is not "lighting it up" against competition that is vastly inferior to the NHL level. Have you seen those KHL defenders and goalies? They are a joke compared to the talent level of the NHL. This is all despite the fact that Nichushkin has great physical tools that allow him to overpower people, yet he still manages to not put up many points. How will he do in the good ole NHL against the Brent Seabrooks of the world. Not to mention the "russian factor" that will no doubt drop him in the rankings.
Alex Ovechkin - 17 y/o 27 pts in 37 Russian Superleague games.. over 100 points next season in nhl, Russian Superleague was weaker than KHL.

Vladimar Tarasenko - 17 y/o, 24 pts in 42 KHL games, fast forward to now, calder candidate before injury.

It's about the scouted talent, not the stats.
Also the KHL is a completely different game than the NHL.
Evander Kane only had 2 points in 12 khl games, the bigger ice surface is not as complimentary to the power forward game.
Nichuskin's game with the big reach and fast rushes is much more effective on the small nhl ice. Being strong along the boards and fast to read turnovers/change in possession, he's a very intriguing NHL talent.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Nichushkin only played 7:59 TOI in game four, with 0:00 TOI in the third period as Traktor trailed 2-0 and shortened the bench; Traktor lost 3-1, but leads the series 3-1.

It was an uneventful game for him, as I only recall one 1-on-1 rush early, but the defenseman held him in check and forced him behind the net, negating any chance [at 0:44 in this clip]. He may have finished a check or two, but otherwise, his game was relatively quiet and failed to register a SOG. His minus was the result of a stretch pass that allowed Kalinin to get behind their defense and score the opener; nothing to fault him for there.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Nichushkin only played 7:59 TOI in game four, with 0:00 TOI in the third period as Traktor trailed 2-0 and shortened the bench; Traktor lost 3-1, but leads the series 3-1.

It was an uneventful game for him, as I only recall one 1-on-1 rush early, but the defenseman held him in check and forced him behind the net, negating any chance [at 0:44 in this clip]. He may have finished a check or two, but otherwise, his game was relatively quiet and failed to register a SOG. His minus was the result of a stretch pass that allowed Kalinin to get behind their defense and score the opener; nothing to fault him for there.
ok - 1 mediocre game.. 8 min a game, really hard to get into.

Last edited by Fulcrum: 03-13-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old
03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksPK View Post
Alex Ovechkin - 17 y/o 27 pts in 37 Russian Superleague games.. over 100 points next season in nhl, Russian Superleague was weaker than KHL.

Vladimar Tarasenko - 17 y/o, 24 pts in 42 KHL games, fast forward to now, calder candidate before injury.

It's about the scouted talent, not the stats.
Also the KHL is a completely different game than the NHL.
Evander Kane only had 2 points in 12 khl games, the bigger ice surface is not as complimentary to the power forward game.
Nichuskin's game with the big reach and fast rushes is much more effective on the small nhl ice. Being strong along the boards and fast to read turnovers/change in possession, he's a very intriguing NHL talent.
Good posts. Good players to compare. As well as a good point about scouting the talent. It's a differnt game in the K. With his size for example he could be a far better NHL player than KHL player. Being a scoring machine in the KHL or SEL or even AHL does not prove success in the NHL (David Rundblad). No one is breaking their neck to bring over Mozyakin. He is stats wise a great KHL player to put it mildly. But no NHL teams are breaking their neck to bring him over.

Old
03-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonite View Post
Came to learn about Valery Nichushkin, saw a massive pissing match.
Well, what do you want to know? He's quite sensational in playoffs so far, pulls some impressive stuff. Playing style I would say is a bit like Rick Nash. Still somewhat inconsistent but that's natural for a kid.

Old
03-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I know there's some value in putting Nichushkin's performance into the context of his league and so on, but let's not get carried away. This is a thread where people are going to come and read when they want to learn about the specific player, be it as previews to the drafts, mock drafting, FHL drafting, or if their NHL team is lucky enough to draft him, etc. So don't go off on tangents discussing the various leagues and development systems in various countries, SVP. I know it's hard, especially when some posters (usually North American) demonstrate a certain amount of ignorance about hockey leagues in other countries (e.g. Russia here), but there are other threads where going back and forth on those issues is more appropriate than this player-specific thread.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:26 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I know there's some value in putting Nichushkin's performance into the context of his league and so on, but let's not get carried away. This is a thread where people are going to come and read when they want to learn about the specific player, be it as previews to the drafts, mock drafting, FHL drafting, or if their NHL team is lucky enough to draft him, etc. So don't go off on tangents discussing the various leagues and development systems in various countries, SVP. I know it's hard, especially when some posters (usually North American) demonstrate a certain amount of ignorance about hockey leagues in other countries (e.g. Russia here), but there are other threads where going back and forth on those issues is more appropriate than this player-specific thread.
ok.. i'm not sure why you (or whoever else) felt the need to cancel a post that simply put the numbers straight and leave there instead the one with the wrong Ovechkin's numbers.

Last edited by helicecopter: 03-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Closed Thread