HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Valeri Nichushkin - Chelyabinsk, KHL (2013, 10th overall, Dallas)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
  #351
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
I just think to score at his age in KHL playoffs the way he does and consistently! Means he's a special special player. His obviously very talented so why not compare him to one of the greats. I'm just reflecting the impact that I see him make with every game I watch traktor- currently my favourite team.

His coach had a good point though, opposing team not really trying to shutdown Nichushkin. So we'll see


Last edited by Fulcrum: 03-11-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Fulcrum is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 03:04 PM
  #352
Sean Monahan
#boring
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Do NHL teams bring in interpreters when they interview Russian prospects or do they rely upon their Russian scouts to do the talking?
I believe that's where Igor Larionov come in. Seems like he's responsible for every Russian prospects nowadays

Sean Monahan is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
  #353
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
I believe that's where Igor Larionov come in. Seems like he's responsible for every Russian prospects nowadays
Nope, he's just an agent. Only responsible for His clients.

Fulcrum is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 03:23 PM
  #354
habsrule4eva3089
Registered User
 
habsrule4eva3089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,529
vCash: 500
From the brief moments I've seen him, reminds me of glimpses of Eric Staal, tries to use his size and speed at all times, good sense of the game. Good player, though it'll be interesting to see how he reacts when he comes over and gets introduced to physical play.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 04:12 PM
  #355
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
That's about right. I'd call it a more accurate yet most likely still stupid. Just saying don't bother comparing players to Gretzky or Lemiuex because every time you say "X" player is like Mario you would have to say "except waaay worse". Which isn't even fair to the prospect. There are lots of big players to compare to that would be more accurate. But if the OP is really putting Nichushkin at the level of Mario he's clearly out of his mind. It would be more likely that Nichushkin turns into a tall 50 point player like Hanzal than a tall 2ppg player like Mario.
What do you think of Nichushkin's playoffs so far? His positioning and offensive zone play? Just curious

I just don't see how Hanzal at the peak of his career on his best day do some of the things Nichushkin seems to do consistently.


Last edited by Fulcrum: 03-11-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Fulcrum is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 09:03 PM
  #356
IceManCat
A New Era
 
IceManCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Miami
Country: United States
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
He reminds me of Artem Anisimov

IceManCat is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 12:36 AM
  #357
TS Quint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
What do you think of Nichushkin's playoffs so far? His positioning and offensive zone play? Just curious

I just don't see how Hanzal at the peak of his career on his best day do some of the things Nichushkin seems to do consistently.
Haven't seen him play outside of the WJC.

I just don't see how Nichushkin at the peak of his career on his best day do the things Mario Lemiuex did. I some how doubt Nichushkin will ever have the highest PPG ever in the NHL like Mario did (after his first retirement). Do you understand how good that is? Lets say Nichushkin has a better career than anyone expects and he is a PPG player. Mario was over 2ppg before he retired. There is a far better chance that Nichushkin ends up as a 50-60 point player than he will become the caliber of Lemieux, Gretzky, Howe, or Kharlamov. There If you are using him as a Mario lite that's like giving directions to Sydney Austraila by saying "go to the North Pole and head south". Its in no way accurate. I know you have the Russian flag beside your name and I expect a littler homerism and I'm good with that. If he was anywhere near Lemieux, I mean if they expected half of Lemieux he would be the #1 prospect. Or maybe you see something that no one else in the whole world sees in him

TS Quint is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 12:53 AM
  #358
Bure
Registered User
 
Bure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
He reminds me of Artem Anisimov
How exactly, their height yes. That's about it.

Bure is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 03:07 AM
  #359
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
How exactly, their height yes. That's about it.
nah.. they also shoot left!

helicecopter is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 03:20 AM
  #360
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,949
vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
He reminds me of Artem Anisimov
Nope. Anisimov is a dipsy-doodle type, Nichushkin is a straight-forward north-south player. I'm a big fan of both players, but they're different.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 09:32 AM
  #361
Peter25
Registered User
 
Peter25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
I believe that's where Igor Larionov come in. Seems like he's responsible for every Russian prospects nowadays
Please don't let Larionov anywhere near Nichushkin.

Peter25 is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 02:29 PM
  #362
IceManCat
A New Era
 
IceManCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Miami
Country: United States
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
Perhaps I'm missing something but, looking at his stats why does he only have 6 points in 18 games at the KHL level? Also in the MHL and VHL he was also under a point per game. I'm not neglecting his skill set but I find it odd that anyone would consider him among the top 5-8 prospects when he is not even at a ppg level. The KHL is understandable because it is the 2nd-3rd best league in the world, but the lower tier leagues should be compared to the OHL and the Q. Yet he didn't exactly dominate from a stats perspective. Looking at the world juniors he once again didn't light up the score sheet. Now I understand plenty of prospects don't put up points in these tournaments. But Nichushkin hasn't put up large points anywhere?

IceManCat is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
  #363
NMF78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Belgium
Country: Belgium
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something but, looking at his stats why does he only have 6 points in 18 games at the KHL level? Also in the MHL and VHL he was also under a point per game. I'm not neglecting his skill set but I find it odd that anyone would consider him among the top 5-8 prospects when he is not even at a ppg level. The KHL is understandable because it is the 2nd-3rd best league in the world, but the lower tier leagues should be compared to the OHL and the Q. Yet he didn't exactly dominate from a stats perspective. Looking at the world juniors he once again didn't light up the score sheet. Now I understand plenty of prospects don't put up points in these tournaments. But Nichushkin hasn't put up large points anywhere?
I don't know for shure but i suspect it has to do with lack of playing time. At the moment the way he is performing in the KHL playoffs (the 2e best league in the world no question about that) is pretty sick.

NMF78 is online now  
Old
03-12-2013, 03:31 PM
  #364
Oan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something but, looking at his stats why does he only have 6 points in 18 games at the KHL level? Also in the MHL and VHL he was also under a point per game. I'm not neglecting his skill set but I find it odd that anyone would consider him among the top 5-8 prospects when he is not even at a ppg level. The KHL is understandable because it is the 2nd-3rd best league in the world, but the lower tier leagues should be compared to the OHL and the Q. Yet he didn't exactly dominate from a stats perspective. Looking at the world juniors he once again didn't light up the score sheet. Now I understand plenty of prospects don't put up points in these tournaments. But Nichushkin hasn't put up large points anywhere?
Do you seriously think that european 17-year olds should be putting ppg-pace in their countries mens pro leagues? They aren't some north american junior leagues where any half decent prospect puts up ppg or more.

Only 17-year old who has even come close to ppg in recent years is Barkov this season (0,90 ppg) and that is truly exceptional accomplishment, and should not be expected from every euro draft eligible.

edit. My god, read that again and bolded that part, you seriously are straight up comparing junior leagues with pro leagues? Ppg in european pro league is the same as ppg in north american junior league?

Oan is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:05 PM
  #365
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Nichushkin had hernia surgery before the season started (missed the August 2012 Canada–Russia Challenge). His 9 game MHL stint was probably used to recouperate and get into game shape. He was then sent to the VHL (which is much better than any junior league in the world).

Zine is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 11:22 PM
  #366
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
Haven't seen him play outside of the WJC.

I just don't see how Nichushkin at the peak of his career on his best day do the things Mario Lemiuex did. I some how doubt Nichushkin will ever have the highest PPG ever in the NHL like Mario did (after his first retirement). Do you understand how good that is? Lets say Nichushkin has a better career than anyone expects and he is a PPG player. Mario was over 2ppg before he retired. There is a far better chance that Nichushkin ends up as a 50-60 point player than he will become the caliber of Lemieux, Gretzky, Howe, or Kharlamov. There If you are using him as a Mario lite that's like giving directions to Sydney Austraila by saying "go to the North Pole and head south". Its in no way accurate. I know you have the Russian flag beside your name and I expect a littler homerism and I'm good with that. If he was anywhere near Lemieux, I mean if they expected half of Lemieux he would be the #1 prospect. Or maybe you see something that no one else in the whole world sees in him
Why are you bringing ppg into this? I'm not comparing nichushkin with lemieux as players. I'm sayin that Nichushkins style resembles Mario. He can grab the puck anywhere on his ice and bring to the net with his reach and speed. Again and again. So far no one has actually managed to stop him effectively- and he's only 17.

Anyway it's not much of a discussion since you don't actually watch the games with him...

Fulcrum is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 11:28 PM
  #367
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uberlandia
Country: Brazil
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
When on his game, Nichushkin is so hard to get off the puck and he can be flat out dominant at times as well

NHLAlert is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
  #368
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Came here to see Nichu discussion... and I'm leaving empty-handed
Indeed. Unfortunately this is the case sometimes with these threads.

Anyway, this guy had 11pts (5g6a) in 4 games at a recent U18 five nations tournament. Scouts say this guy flat out dominated in a way that's not very common at this level.

Anyone who takes the time to actually watch the guy play can see that this is a special player.

BobDobolina is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
  #369
canucksPK
Registered User
 
canucksPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Okanagan BC
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Grinding for peanuts? NHL teams will pay the player if they are worth it.They are not here... because they can't crack the NHL top 6 and are too soft for the bottom 6. Once again you are missing the point, I never said Europe does not produce high end talent, they obviously do. I am not pleading ignorance.. Are you seriously telling me that the European leagues are on par with the NHL, but they choose not to come here because of family, money, etc..? The most skilled Europeans playing on top lines can't crack the NHL top 6 or 9 and don't have the guts or defensive prowess to be 4th line guys, so because of this they are on par with NHL players? There are plenty of guys with skill that never made the NHL Rob Schremp comes to mind, they lack the other things to stick here in this league. What is your measure of talent? The ability to stick handle in a phone booth? Then get crushed by 6'5 Hal Gill? NHL teams give these guys a shot all the time, the ones that play well stay here. The ones that don't go on to play somewhere else.
I stated this earlier I don't think Nichushkin should be ranked this high because he is not "lighting it up" against competition that is vastly inferior to the NHL level. Have you seen those KHL defenders and goalies? They are a joke compared to the talent level of the NHL. This is all despite the fact that Nichushkin has great physical tools that allow him to overpower people, yet he still manages to not put up many points. How will he do in the good ole NHL against the Brent Seabrooks of the world. Not to mention the "russian factor" that will no doubt drop him in the rankings.
Alex Ovechkin - 17 y/o 27 pts in 37 Russian Superleague games.. over 100 points next season in nhl, Russian Superleague was weaker than KHL.

Vladimar Tarasenko - 17 y/o, 24 pts in 42 KHL games, fast forward to now, calder candidate before injury.

It's about the scouted talent, not the stats.
Also the KHL is a completely different game than the NHL.
Evander Kane only had 2 points in 12 khl games, the bigger ice surface is not as complimentary to the power forward game.
Nichuskin's game with the big reach and fast rushes is much more effective on the small nhl ice. Being strong along the boards and fast to read turnovers/change in possession, he's a very intriguing NHL talent.

canucksPK is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
  #370
Woodhouse
Registered User
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,383
vCash: 50
Nichushkin only played 7:59 TOI in game four, with 0:00 TOI in the third period as Traktor trailed 2-0 and shortened the bench; Traktor lost 3-1, but leads the series 3-1.

It was an uneventful game for him, as I only recall one 1-on-1 rush early, but the defenseman held him in check and forced him behind the net, negating any chance [at 0:44 in this clip]. He may have finished a check or two, but otherwise, his game was relatively quiet and failed to register a SOG. His minus was the result of a stretch pass that allowed Kalinin to get behind their defense and score the opener; nothing to fault him for there.

Woodhouse is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 03:56 PM
  #371
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Nichushkin only played 7:59 TOI in game four, with 0:00 TOI in the third period as Traktor trailed 2-0 and shortened the bench; Traktor lost 3-1, but leads the series 3-1.

It was an uneventful game for him, as I only recall one 1-on-1 rush early, but the defenseman held him in check and forced him behind the net, negating any chance [at 0:44 in this clip]. He may have finished a check or two, but otherwise, his game was relatively quiet and failed to register a SOG. His minus was the result of a stretch pass that allowed Kalinin to get behind their defense and score the opener; nothing to fault him for there.
ok - 1 mediocre game.. 8 min a game, really hard to get into.


Last edited by Fulcrum: 03-13-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Fulcrum is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
  #372
TS Quint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksPK View Post
Alex Ovechkin - 17 y/o 27 pts in 37 Russian Superleague games.. over 100 points next season in nhl, Russian Superleague was weaker than KHL.

Vladimar Tarasenko - 17 y/o, 24 pts in 42 KHL games, fast forward to now, calder candidate before injury.

It's about the scouted talent, not the stats.
Also the KHL is a completely different game than the NHL.
Evander Kane only had 2 points in 12 khl games, the bigger ice surface is not as complimentary to the power forward game.
Nichuskin's game with the big reach and fast rushes is much more effective on the small nhl ice. Being strong along the boards and fast to read turnovers/change in possession, he's a very intriguing NHL talent.
Good posts. Good players to compare. As well as a good point about scouting the talent. It's a differnt game in the K. With his size for example he could be a far better NHL player than KHL player. Being a scoring machine in the KHL or SEL or even AHL does not prove success in the NHL (David Rundblad). No one is breaking their neck to bring over Mozyakin. He is stats wise a great KHL player to put it mildly. But no NHL teams are breaking their neck to bring him over.

TS Quint is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 06:10 PM
  #373
Garl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonite View Post
Came to learn about Valery Nichushkin, saw a massive pissing match.
Well, what do you want to know? He's quite sensational in playoffs so far, pulls some impressive stuff. Playing style I would say is a bit like Rick Nash. Still somewhat inconsistent but that's natural for a kid.

Garl is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 06:40 PM
  #374
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,841
vCash: 500
I know there's some value in putting Nichushkin's performance into the context of his league and so on, but let's not get carried away. This is a thread where people are going to come and read when they want to learn about the specific player, be it as previews to the drafts, mock drafting, FHL drafting, or if their NHL team is lucky enough to draft him, etc. So don't go off on tangents discussing the various leagues and development systems in various countries, SVP. I know it's hard, especially when some posters (usually North American) demonstrate a certain amount of ignorance about hockey leagues in other countries (e.g. Russia here), but there are other threads where going back and forth on those issues is more appropriate than this player-specific thread.

Blind Gardien is online now  
Old
03-14-2013, 05:26 AM
  #375
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I know there's some value in putting Nichushkin's performance into the context of his league and so on, but let's not get carried away. This is a thread where people are going to come and read when they want to learn about the specific player, be it as previews to the drafts, mock drafting, FHL drafting, or if their NHL team is lucky enough to draft him, etc. So don't go off on tangents discussing the various leagues and development systems in various countries, SVP. I know it's hard, especially when some posters (usually North American) demonstrate a certain amount of ignorance about hockey leagues in other countries (e.g. Russia here), but there are other threads where going back and forth on those issues is more appropriate than this player-specific thread.
ok.. i'm not sure why you (or whoever else) felt the need to cancel a post that simply put the numbers straight and leave there instead the one with the wrong Ovechkin's numbers.


Last edited by helicecopter: 03-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.
helicecopter is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.