HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
BowDangles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
13-6-3 down the stretch should put us in good position

we have to go 9-3-2 (21 pts.) at home

and 4-3-1 on the road (9 pts.)

so not impossible...but really in tough
Good math....sorry I had to...

Old
03-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
This is amazing.

Four days ago, all these people were yelling for blood from literally everyone on this team.

Two straight wins and we're back into the playoffs?

Gah.
looked at the standings? 5pts separate 3rd place from 13th .. Dont expect it to be any different at the end of the season... It is anyone's game..

Old
03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Six in O6

I'm predicting 15-5-2 down the stretch. Long shot, but definitely possible.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

If we can beat Detroit on Friday, we'll be right where I'd hoped. .500 would be another 10 point improvement over an 82 game season. A "Calgary" run to the playoffs (two points short) would be a welcome sight.

Never too high, never too low, folks.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Dabomb

With first place in the NW having 30 points and only 2 points up on 8th place in the Conference, I'm almost thinking theres a better chance for the Oilers to make the playoffs by finishing first in the NW than beating so many teams and finishing 8th.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
With first place in the NW having 30 points and only 2 points up on 8th place in the Conference, I'm almost thinking theres a better chance for the Oilers to make the playoffs by finishing first in the NW than beating so many teams and finishing 8th.
Exactly. We need to start winning more division games and we'll stand a better chance.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:23 PM
OilCanada92

if they can win the division especially with VAN on a slump and MIN going back and forth, team needs to stay solid. 4 games in the next 11 days should possibly refreshing. And, having them all at home too boot. Not saying they can get on a 6 game win streak, but you won't hear me say they can't. Anything is a possible, especially the way they looked against CHI and COL. And once Khabby is back the goaltending weights can be a little bit lifted off Dubnyk.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:26 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Think of it as 4-game series' with 2 games at the end. We need to avg 5 points every 4 games from hereonin, and then try to win 2 straight at the end for playoffs.

This is fun though. Excited to follow 6-7 teams down the stretch on a nightly basis, praying for no 3-pt games and the gap between them to remain small.

Haven't had even a chance to do this since 08-09.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:29 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I projected 55pts at the beginning of the season as "the number". But teams have played more than half the season (26gp:22left) and are only at 28 points as the 8th seed cut. Likely reason for this is how competitive it is in the West. There is no "Terri-awful" teams for everyone to beat up and accumulate points against like CBJ, EDM, COL, have been in the past.

At this pace the magic number could be 52-53

Old
03-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Aerchon

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it mathmatically plausible: Hell no.

Do I have faith: Hell no. That last 5 game losing streak should be enough for anyone to realize this team is very far from being a playoff team.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

There aren't enough teams as bad as Colorado in the west for the Oilers to win consistently. They won't make it, they won't make it interesting either.

Bottom five finish for sure once all the bubble teams with effective NHL vets step up their intensity level and go on their playoff runs. A caliber of hockey the Oilers have shown they won't be able to keep up with during this recent road trip.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:19 PM
sundaysleftovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Is it possible? Yes
Is it likely? Chances do mathematically point against it.
Do I have hope and faith? Damn straight.

One good hot streak and we're in, especially in a season like this one.
My thoughts as well ^^^^^^^^^

Old
03-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Sheeshta

I wouldn't bet my worst enemy's money on it, as I'd feel like too big of an idiot placing the bet. It's not going to happen. This past week we got annihilated repeatedly, then beat a good team taking a night off after a historic run of success and another very, very bad team that we match up well against.

The Oilers are a fantastically bad hockey team, who ice on a given night between four and six dudes who simply should not be playing in the NHL period, let alone on a team that people thing could make the playoffs.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:47 PM
subnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
haha i was just copying and pasting this same thing

Old
03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

It could happen but only in 3rd place if Van struggles and we leapfrog Minny. Highly unlikely.

Do the Oilers act as sellers or buyers?

Old
03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Gonna re-post a couple things I said in another thread:
Quote:
Our next 6 games are tough:

DET
NSH
SJS
STL
@NSH
@STL

If we can get even 6 points in the next 6 games, I'd say we're literally "back on track" for this playoff run.

We're going to need at least a couple of W's here - hopefully we can beat NSH at home, and steal one from DET/SJS. I don't see how we could ever beat STL, they're far too dominant.

Schedule gets easier after that, I expect big things vs teams like CBJ/CGY/VAN/COL/LAK after that. Literally the only truly tough teams we play after that are ANA(x3)/MIN(x2) - and we've always done okay vs some good ANA teams in the past.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Dabomb

Oilers have yet to go on a nice winning streak this season.. hopefully we go on one soon. Didn't we have a couple of good streaks last year?

Old
03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
"Gonna re-post a couple things I said in another thread:"

this was my response:
I don't think 6 in 6 is good enough, especially with 4 at home. We need to get 8-9 on this run if we want to talk playoffs. 6 in 6 is enough to keep us out of the cellar.

I think this season is different because there are no really ****** teams and only two world-beaters. The rest are all "tough" even Colorado. Sure the 3 games against Calgary are supposed to be easier (we know they wont), but everyone from the Yotes to the Preds to the Wild are all going to be a challenge.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Oilers have yet to go on a nice winning streak this season.. hopefully we go on one soon. Didn't we have a couple of good streaks last year?
If we put together any type of streak in the next 5-6 games here, given the opposition, I'd say our playoff shots go >50% IMO.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:04 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
"Gonna re-post a couple things I said in another thread:"

this was my response:
I don't think 6 in 6 is good enough, especially with 4 at home. We need to get 8-9 on this run if we want to talk playoffs. 6 in 6 is enough to keep us out of the cellar.

I think this season is different because there are no really ****** teams and only two world-beaters. The rest are all "tough" even Colorado. Sure the 3 games against Calgary are supposed to be easier (we know they wont), but everyone from the Yotes to the Preds to the Wild are all going to be a challenge.
If we can get 6 points in the next 6 games, and then manage to put up 20-22 in the last 16 games, I'd say we're definitely in the 7-9 range.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I projected 55pts at the beginning of the season as "the number". But teams have played more than half the season (26gp:22left) and are only at 28 points as the 8th seed cut. Likely reason for this is how competitive it is in the West. There is no "Terri-awful" teams for everyone to beat up and accumulate points against like CBJ, EDM, COL, have been in the past.

At this pace the magic number could be 52-53
Your number is likely off. The average team in the west already has 4 OT pts so all other things being equal expect that number to climb to 7 meaning that the average pts would be 55 as you projected earlier. Given that teams play harder and games get tighter down the stretch tie games usually increase in frequency as well so I simply can't see anything less than 55pts making it in the west. I doubt the Canucks end up with less than 55pts either if thats anybodies angle. We're not finishing first in division, and we're not going to make the playoffs.

I'd expect around 48pts as the team tries to stay in the pack and make it interesting. But I don't see much of a chance here.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:12 PM
SterlingArcher

We have a chance it's not the biggest chance but if we can finish at least close to a playoff spot it will be a welcome sight. If we go on a streak and continue how we have been playing which is confident and attacking on the forecheck we wil have a shot.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
If we put together any type of streak in the next 5-6 games here, given the opposition, I'd say our playoff shots go >50% IMO.
Again not sure how that works. WE could win 5 MORE games in a row and still be in 10th place.

Not that I see this club rattling off a 7 game win streak when just a week ago they looked like easily the worst club in the league.

I'll remind people as well that the Head Coach has stated on multiple occasions that this team tends to be a coachable group only when they're losing. Which is pretty much a recipe for inconsistency.

I wouldn't bet anything that F troop has finally put all the info together and are ready to be world beaters. We need 30pts in 22games to get in the playoffs. Ain't happening.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We are 3 points out so ya it's quite makeable. Our destiny much like everyone else's is in our own hands. All conference games and right now there is only 8 points from 3rd-15th.
Well, the number 3 does sound pretty small if you don't use any context.

For example, Gagner is only 3 inches shorter then Eager.

In reality 3 points is a pretty big thing to overcome. A lot of teams have games in hand on the Oilers, and the Oilers have to out play about 6 bubble teams just to make the dance. They don't just need to make up 3 points. They need to first make up the 3 points, AND THEN have the best record down the stretch out of the 4-5 teams competing for the last playoff spot.

Looking at the stats for the Oilers thus far, it does not look encouraging at all.

GF-25th
GA-19th
5on5 F/A-29th
PP%-6th
PK%-9th
S/G-21st
SA/G-30th
Their shot differential is -5.9 which is last in the league by a fair margin.
faceoffs-30th
Team SV%-8th

The only stats the Oilers look like a potential playoff team in are special teams and save percentage. You could probably make an argument that they have over achieved thus far given their shot differential.

Definitely does not look like a team going to the playoffs to me.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:34 PM
OilCanada92

No playoffs. Better half of the season. Not sellers but only the players that "common" sense says are leaving, leave.

Closed Thread