Notices

PP and PK

Old
03-02-2013, 11:10 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 500
PP and PK

In your opinion why does our powerplay and penatly kill, are near the bottom of the leauge.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...=nav-sts-teams

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:36 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I said this long ago and it's still my opinion...

Our PK has never really been that bad.
We currently allow the 8th least amount of PK shots against per a minute...
We've never have allowed more than 5 PK shots against in a game except for our two terrible games in FLA (11) and TBL (7), and our recent game against PHI (8)... and with those it's more the amount of times on the PK than the effectiveness of the PK.
That's because our PK is a lot more aggressive and does a good job in both clogging the passing lanes and standing up at the line.
Problem is we started the year with TERRIBLE PK goaltending where we were letting in 40% of the shots... it has now slightly improved to 20% of shots, which is still the worst in the league (2nd worst is ANA with 15.6% of shots going in)

PP is just terrible.
We can't gain the zone or keep it and because of it we are the worst for PP shots for per 60 minutes at 35.5... That's about as many shots on goal as Carolina does at even strength...
When myself (and Sully) were warning everyone of this earlier in the year, most fans were saying stuff like: ya but our PP% is pretty good. But, that was because we had the best, and a friggin ridiculous, sh%...
Now our sh% is 10th and no longer hiding our PP.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:54 PM
jared37

Having a good PK is more about proper coaching and the players carrying out it properly. When you have guys like Stuart and Hainsey you shouldnt have any problems taking care of the front of the net, It just comes down to not letting them get set up which we havnt been able to do much of this year.

Our PP was good last year and has taken a big step back this year, i think the problem is we are too bunched up and play with the puck in small areas rather than use the full zone. For example we have the puck in the corner the opposing team pressures and rather than cross the ice with it we always seem to make the little cycle/dump pass where the guy recieving the puck has pressure immediatly and this goes on for too long until they finally clear it

If you ever watch the penguins PP as soon as this happens letang and crosby are the main guys who do it, but when they have pressure in their face rather than put it back into the corner where the guy isnt really open, you fire it across the ice or hard into the corner so it comes out the other side where you normally have 2 guys waiting vs 1 opposing player, it really opens things up when you use the zone like this

jared37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:12 AM
BigZ65

I think we have pretty good PP QB's in Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Postma and now Jokinen. I think what we are missing is a solid guy to man the half boards. We can cycle, we can control the puck at the point, but we can't move the puck through the middle of the box, our forwards just aren't that good and the good ones we have are too similar. Personally Burmistrov would be the guy I'd try, and the PP looked better today in terms of controlling the puck in the zone and moving it around when he was on it in the 3rd.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:21 AM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I said this long ago and it's still my opinion...

Our PK has never really been that bad.
We currently allow the 8th least amount of PK shots against per a minute...
We've never have allowed more than 5 PK shots against in a game except for our two terrible games in FLA (11) and TBL (7), and our recent game against PHI (8)... and with those it's more the amount of times on the PK than the effectiveness of the PK.
That's because our PK is a lot more aggressive and does a good job in both clogging the passing lanes and standing up at the line.
Problem is we started the year with TERRIBLE PK goaltending where we were letting in 40% of the shots... it has now slightly improved to 20% of shots, which is still the worst in the league (2nd worst is ANA with 15.6% of shots going in)

PP is just terrible.
We can't gain the zone or keep it and because of it we are the worst for PP shots for per 60 minutes at 35.5... That's about as many shots on goal as Carolina does at even strength...
When myself (and Sully) were warning everyone of this earlier in the year, most fans were saying stuff like: ya but our PP% is pretty good. But, that was because we had the best, and a friggin ridiculous, sh%...
Now our sh% is 10th and no longer hiding our PP.
That is going to turn around in Florida.

Noel just assured me on sportscenter this morning that we are going to score 45,000 power play goals Love this guys humor.

tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Ulf Hullberg

The PK has gotten better thanks to better goaltending and adding more speed up front.

My PP when Enstrom returns would be...
#1 unit
Bogo & Tobi
Buff in front of the net.
Burmi & Kane.

#2 unit
Jokinen & Postma
LLW

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:24 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
That is going to turn around in Florida.

Noel just assured me on sportscenter this morning that we are going to score 45,000 power play goals Love this guys humor.
I love Noel too.

For what it is worth, the Jets PowerPlay Fenwick has improved a bit over the last few games. So that should result in a few more goals.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:28 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Jets PP broken down

On yesterday's IC Hockey Show we had Jeremy Weiss from Weiss Tech Hockey break down the Jets PP.

He spent about 10 minutes breaking it down on video for those interested.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:48 PM
puck stoppa

My biggest pet peeve for the last two years (and you may think im crazy) is that we can never win the first faceoff to start the PP in the offensive zone. Im not sure why this is but if you can setup right from the get go it seems to be much more effortless. Just a pet peeve, but I think the PP will come around shortly. Missing a solid left handed dman (Enstrom) may be the biggest problem.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICdave View Post
On yesterday's IC Hockey Show we had Jeremy Weiss from Weiss Tech Hockey break down the Jets PP.

He spent about 10 minutes breaking it down on video for those interested.
Nice video. I wonder if the coaching staff ever sees these things and whether they're open to change or criticism. Or whether they just practice the same things over and over in practice. Isn't that the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results?

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:39 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
My biggest pet peeve for the last two years (and you may think im crazy) is that we can never win the first faceoff to start the PP in the offensive zone. Im not sure why this is but if you can setup right from the get go it seems to be much more effortless. Just a pet peeve, but I think the PP will come around shortly. Missing a solid left handed dman (Enstrom) may be the biggest problem.
Losing powerplay faceoffs:
That is what happens when your 4th line centre is the only one that wins more draws than he loses.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:33 PM
BigZ65

Those low guys are pretty much useless when we are moving the puck too. One guy screening, one guy unavailable for a pass, not screening and not in the best spot to finish on a rebound. Gotta challenge the PK and make that D choose between the puck and that forward. Standing there waiting makes it too easy on that D.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
I know Clitsome is pretty weak on the PP,but does anyone else hate Jokinen there? His shot power and decisions in general don't strike me as a big upgrade. Clitsome's probably better at hitting the net with further out shots than Olli anyway.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:32 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
I know Clitsome is pretty weak on the PP,but does anyone else hate Jokinen there? His shot power and decisions in general don't strike me as a big upgrade. Clitsome's probably better at hitting the net with further out shots than Olli anyway.
Over the course of his career Olli has been on of the top producing powerplay players in the league and he did a lot of damage from the point.

Not sure why he can't get anything rolling this year.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:32 AM
JetsHomer

I think they've changed the powerplay strategy. Before it was all based on the point shot. They still work this in they're doing a ton more quick puck movements down low and are trying for backdoor goals. They also seem to support each other more. I'm excited for Enstrom's return. He's such a powerplay weapon and this system of fast quick puck movement pretty much fits his style of play perfectly.

Last edited by JetsHomer: 03-13-2013 at 01:31 PM.
JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:15 AM
Inflict
Viking

Bad PK was only due to poor Goaltending as garret pointed out. PK has been on fire recently so I think it is severely underrated.

PP on the other hand seems to be an issue with our entry and our defensive pairings. We don't have a good second pairing and can't seem to find the right partner with Buff. I expect our PP to improve by leaps and bounds once Enstrom returns, but even with Enstrom I don't see us being a top PP team anytime soon. Postma needs to step up his game on the PP as he has fizzled these last two months.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I think they've changed the powerboat strategy. Before it was all based on the point shot. They still work this in they're doing a ton more quick puck movements down low and are trying for backdoor goals. They also seem to support each other more. I'm excited for Enstrom's return. He's such a powerplay weapon and this system of fast quick puck movement pretty much fits his style of play perfectly.
agreed, looked like a different system last night, and it looked like a system enstrom would do excellent in.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:51 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I think they've changed the powerboat strategy. Before it was all based on the point shot. They still work this in they're doing a ton more quick puck movements down low and are trying for backdoor goals. They also seem to support each other more. I'm excited for Enstrom's return. He's such a powerplay weapon and this system of fast quick puck movement pretty much fits his style of play perfectly.
I like seeing Kane set up on the right hand half wall. His quick release should be an asset there.

He should be used as a trigger man on the powerplay. I like it.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:43 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I like seeing Kane set up on the right hand half wall. His quick release should be an asset there.

He should be used as a trigger man on the powerplay. I like it.
Exactly! He may not be Stamkos, but he's the closest thing we've got and with a shot like he's got, they have to utilize it. I much prefer him there than standing at the edge of the crease.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 02:46 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Exactly! He may not be Stamkos, but he's the closest thing we've got and with a shot like he's got, they have to utilize it. I much prefer him there than standing at the edge of the crease.
I hope they keep him there when Toby comes back.

I imagine Toby could throw a couple really nice passes his way from in around the left point.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:54 PM
JetsHomer

When Entroms back I think it'll look like

Wellwood - Antropov- Kane
Enstrom - Byfuglien

Ladd - Little - wheeler
Jokinen - Bogosian

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote