HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
Clark shot the puck at Mermis is the reason why there was no instigator called.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Percyma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
If people are looking for non CHL/hockey related events that show the volunteer commitment of the community when it comes to large scale events then there are quite a few. They are not centred around the WFCU Centre but they were rather large scale and while Windsor may not have been the main host they certainly played a role in the events that have taken place in Windsor by playing host to many functions surrounding the events as well as the event itself.

WWE/Wrestlemania and other PPV events
Superbowl and surrounding festivities
Detroit Grand Prix - both Indy version and Formula 1 version
Red Bull Air Races - both Detroit as the primary host and Windsor as the primary host
Superbowl

Yes, many of the events were primarily based in Detroit but being in downtown Detroit for the most part there was a large part played by Windsor and the community with both the main event as well as surrounding events for each of these.

There were many spinoff events held in Windsor to help enhance the event by attracting the Canadian audience as well as to help enhance the experience of the event goers themselves.

No Windsor hasn't hosted the World Figure Skating Championships... yet but London has not been a participant in hosting the Superbowl and the week long festivities surrounding one of the biggest sporting events in the world either.

Both cities have experience with high level, world class events from hosting and logistics involved with such events to the volunteer s required to make such events possible.

I don't know Barrie's history with such events so cannot compare them.

If the question comes down to experience with major events and the volunteers needed to pull it off I don't think London has any advantage over Windsor. Windsor may not have seen the full spotlight but the size of the events involved speaks for themselves and yes Windsor did play an integral part in not only hosting the events but in Detroit getting some of the events in the first place.

Both cities present some unique qualifications when it comes to hosting major events, each offsetting the others.

If Windsor does not get its act together and cannot demonstrate that they deserve to host then they should not get it. As others have said though with no transperency in the bidding process regardless of who wins this bid or any other bid in the past or future there will always be questions raised as to whether the winning bid was the deserving bid.
+ 1 Excellent points.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:02 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
That doesn't mean he can drop the gloves, openly challenge Clark (who didn't seem to care, either way), and not get called for the instigator. If that's not instigating, what is?

Old
03-10-2013, 06:18 PM
hockeylegend11

Spits finshed the yr 3-3 vs London not bad when u consider the for 4 of those games were
missing more key players in each of those games and the Spits went 2-2
So far this season Spits are 1-8 vs Plymouth and Owen Sd,and 0-2 vs Kingston their
worst record against a East conf,against the rest of league 25-21-2-6,it should be noted
7 of those games were played with their 1st half roster,and 3 were played with an injury
riddled roster

Old
03-10-2013, 07:28 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Spits official record against the East was 7-8-1-4
Against the the top 5 teams the record was 4-3-1-2
Against the bottom 5 the record was 3-5 -0-2,including 0-2 vs Kingston
The record vs east with healthy lineup post trade deadline was 1-0-0-1
I'm not sure I get your point? Who were the other teams missing?

Old
03-11-2013, 11:23 AM
mini2z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
2 of them... but I do believe they are in the lower 1/2 of the round.
Thanks Libbs - hubby & I were having a disagreement he didn't think we had any 2nd rounds

Old
03-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Ottomatic

How sure are you we have two second rounders? I thought we didn't have one until we got one in the Maletta deal.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
How sure are you we have two second rounders? I thought we didn't have one until we got one in the Maletta deal.
I am pretty sure its only 1-2nd rd pick and as u say the one acquired in the Maletta

not going to deny i wish it was 2

Old
03-11-2013, 03:45 PM
scokan

Quote:
Yes, only 1 second rounder so far, the one we got from the maletta deal, Niagara's pick, so our first pick of the draft as of right now wont be till the 26th overall or so, it would be nice to get back our own 2nd rounder from Barrie but that probably wont happen. Turn back the clock on that Devlin deal.... lol

Old
03-11-2013, 06:26 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
http://www.intheoradio.com/wsrpicks
According to this, no 2nds this year. They must not know that Niagara's 2nd in 2014 became Sarnia's 2nd this year after Niagara acquired it from Erie, as reported earlier by Legend.
Anyone know where London's 2nd in 2014 came from? Kingston? Peterborough? Erie? And what the conditions would be?

Old
03-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Libbs

My bad.... that's next year we have 2.

The one we got this year was from Niagara with the condition of the Maletta trade.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Libbs

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...ashes-on-couch

Old
03-11-2013, 09:29 PM
OHLTG

Sounds like Scotty had a few too many and went into the wrong house. Stupid move...though the owner's comment about the gun at the end wasn't exactly smart, either.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Sounds like Scotty had a few too many and went into the wrong house. Stupid move...though the owner's comment about the gun at the end wasn't exactly smart, either.
It's Texas, I believe him. And he would have never been charged. Castle Doctrine and all...

Old
03-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Welcome to the USA where there motto should be "Shoot first. Never ask questions."

Old
03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
It's Texas, I believe him. And he would have never been charged. Castle Doctrine and all...
Yep if you live in Texas you best have a gun.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post
http://www.intheoradio.com/wsrpicks
According to this, no 2nds this year. They must not know that Niagara's 2nd in 2014 became Sarnia's 2nd this year after Niagara acquired it from Erie, as reported earlier by Legend.
Anyone know where London's 2nd in 2014 came from? Kingston?
Peterborough? Erie? And what the conditions would be?
London got Barries 2nd and 3rd in 2014 in the Athanasou deal.
We get another 2nd in 2015 if AA plays for Barrie next year...which, he will.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:16 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
My bad.... that's next year we have 2.

The one we got this year was from Niagara with the condition of the Maletta trade.
Actually we only have 1 2nd rd pick next yr because of the sanctions,Branch returned
the Spits 1st rd pick,but the spits will give up a 2nd rder next yr,the year after and 1st rder in 2016,as well of course the 1st rder for this year
Not sure if the league thought the Spits would finish out of the playoffs this year when the punishment was handed down
A 4th overall pick is critical to a teams future,even compensation rules dont allow for a
pick until after the 5th pick to protect non playoff teams,ie if Erie were to draft a player at #3,then declare him a defected player,the comp pick for next yr would be the 5th not the 4th,when normally a comp pick is 1 after a teams draft pick
I think the league should return the their !st rd pick,and take away the 2nd rd they
have that they acquired in the Maletta deal,and take the 1st rder next yr,spits the get to keep the 2nd rder next yr
Had the Spits made the playoffs I would not have suggested the change,let things stand

Old
03-12-2013, 07:32 PM
big papa

What do are picks look like going into the draft right now??

Old
03-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Actually we only have 1 2nd rd pick next yr because of the sanctions,Branch returned
the Spits 1st rd pick,but the spits will give up a 2nd rder next yr,the year after and 1st rder in 2016,as well of course the 1st rder for this year
Not sure if the league thought the Spits would finish out of the playoffs this year when the punishment was handed down
A 4th overall pick is critical to a teams future,even compensation rules dont allow for a
pick until after the 5th pick to protect non playoff teams,ie if Erie were to draft a player at #3,then declare him a defected player,the comp pick for next yr would be the 5th not the 4th,when normally a comp pick is 1 after a teams draft pick
I think the league should return the their !st rd pick,and take away the 2nd rd they
have that they acquired in the Maletta deal,and take the 1st rder next yr,spits the get to keep the 2nd rder next yr
Had the Spits made the playoffs I would not have suggested the change,let things stand
Never going to happen. If Rychel does leave though, I hope he finally breaks the silence of exactly what the offenses were. Right now the Spits ownership has to play nice, I assume in hopes they can get the hosting gig, but when that doesn't happen - and if Warren leaves, I hope he spells out exactly what happened. To be penalized the 4th overall pick - it better be a pretty major violation.

I can live with the punishment, if it fits the crime. But without knowing the crime, losing a 4th overall pick is pretty damn severe.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Libbs

They should have given the team the option to which year they lost those 1st rounders, ala New Jersey Devils and the cap circumvention punishment.

I'm not saying let them choose like 2265... but either 2013 or 2014.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
They should have given the team the option to which year they lost those 1st rounders, ala New Jersey Devils and the cap circumvention punishment.

I'm not saying let them choose like 2265... but either 2013 or 2014.
That sounds fair and reasonable so you know that's something the OHL would never consider.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Never going to happen. If Rychel does leave though, I hope he finally breaks the silence of exactly what the offenses were. Right now the Spits ownership has to play nice, I assume in hopes they can get the hosting gig, but when that doesn't happen - and if Warren leaves, I hope he spells out exactly what happened. To be penalized the 4th overall pick - it better be a pretty major violation.

I can live with the punishment, if it fits the crime. But without knowing the crime, losing a 4th overall pick is pretty damn severe.
Otto

I definitely agree with your last statement,after all regarding the comp rule,if Erie loses the 2nd pick ie not showing up,the following year they would pick 5th not 3rd,likenormal if a team trades or declares 1st rder defected they get 1 pick lower the following year except the bottom 4 teams get their picks 1st,should be no different in this case
Teams are not allowed to trade 1st rders before draft, to punish a non play off team is wrong
I will say it again my guess is the league did not figure the Spits would not miss the playoffs this year,in fact if they were in the east they make the playoff,so they wont finish with the 4th worst record

Old
03-13-2013, 04:31 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
The OHl has ruled that an instigator penalty penalty should have been assessed to Mermis in the fight between he and Emerson Clark,thus Clark who has 11 fights this season will not be suspended and he can play on Thursday vs Owen Sd

Old
03-13-2013, 05:40 PM
OHLTG

Apparently my picture expired or was removed? It was from Twitter, so ??

Last edited by OHLTG: 03-13-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Closed Thread