HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Alex Pietrangelo not a lock for Team Canada in Sochi?

Old
02-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Alex Pietrangelo not a lock for Team Canada in Sochi?

According to TSN hes not, they were giving list of what players would be locks for next TC and the only 4 dmen were Weber, Doughty, Letang and Keith. You think any chance AP doesnt make the club? I would think he would be a lock.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:32 PM
dan1el

Ridiculous. Pietrangelo is the top Canadian defender at the moment IMO. He'll be there.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:04 PM
leafsfuture

^^
This.

And his international pedigree speaks for itself. World Junior and World Championship Top Defenceman in consecutive years

leafsfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Quarter
Exploding Knees

The only way he misses out is to injury.

IMO, the only defensive locks are Letang, Weber and Pietro. That being said, it's safe to assume one of Keith/Doughty will be there as well.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Mr Writer

He's a lock in my book, but the fine folks at Hockey Canada have been smoking some real wacky sh** lately, and who knows what the ****** they'll come up with... after last year's WHC there were some in the inner corridor's of HC who were all hard for Jay Bouwmeester and seriously floated out the idea that he was a real candidate for one of the 7 spots.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:53 PM
JackSlater

Weber is a lock due to his pedigree and his excellent play in 2010. Keith and Doughty are also locks, as they too were great in 2010 and are both great skaters. Pietrangelo is outplaying them all right now, was tremendous last year, has always done well internationally and has a game suited to international ice and rules. He should be as big a lock as anyone on defence.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Ryker

The Olympics are in 2014. The year 2013 has just begun. You're talking about someone who's in his third full NHL season. What am I missing?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:58 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
He's a lock in my book, but the fine folks at Hockey Canada have been smoking some real wacky sh** lately, and who knows what the ****** they'll come up with... after last year's WHC there were some in the inner corridor's of HC who were all hard for Jay Bouwmeester and seriously floated out the idea that he was a real candidate for one of the 7 spots.
How do you know this?

Old
02-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
How do you know this?
What, that they smoke some **** at HC?

Or the comments about JB? It was said in a radio interview by a journalist in Calgary, regular hockey analyst and well connected to HC. I heard the interview myself with the journalist, so it's not something I heard from somebody who heard something or may have heard it from somebody else...

I heard it with my own ears. And remember it was last spring, after the WHC in May. It was said by Hockey Canada people. Not sure the journalist was referring to Stevie Y. I doubt very much it was Stevie Y.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:04 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
What, that they smoke some **** at HC?

Or the comments about JB? It was said in a radio interview by a journalist in Calgary, regular hockey analyst and well connected to HC. I heard the interview myself with the journalist, so it's not something I heard from somebody who heard something or may have heard it from somebody else...

I heard it with my own ears. And remember it was last spring, after the WHC in May. It was said by Hockey Canada people. Not sure the journalist was referring to Stevie Y. I doubt very much it was Stevie Y.
Fair enough, Bouwmeester wasn't bad last spring. Obviously Pietrangelo is at least one tier above.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:48 AM
coursy17

Keith Doughty Pietrangelo Letang Weber will all be there guarantee'd (unless injury). Seabrook, M.Staal Myers Boyle Del Zotto Campbell Girardi Subban all left to fight over the final two spots.
In my Opinion Boyle brings a nice offensive output, veteran leadership, experience, and speed and skill to the big ice. and M.Staal is probably the best shutdown defenseman in the league so they would be my other 2. But we'll see what stevie Y does

coursy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:01 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

If he's not there, Hockey Canada will be making mistakes like 2006 all over again.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 03:21 PM
PaulieVegas

Because of Canada's depth on the blue line, I don't think any defensemen can be considered a lock, except maybe Weber. We're talking about a country that had the luxury of leaving guys like Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Campbell, and Green at home. How sick is that?

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Because of Canada's depth on the blue line, I don't think any defensemen can be considered a lock, except maybe Weber. We're talking about a country that had the luxury of leaving guys like Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Campbell, and Green at home. How sick is that?
You have a strong point when it comes to people proclaiming Player X a lock, and I am guilty of it myself. Pietrangelo is one example, though I still consider him extremely likely to make the team, it really can't be said that he's as likely as Weber. Giroux and Eberle are other examples, with lots of people proclaiming them locks last spring. This year, they aren't guaranteed picks anymore, which presumably a lock would be.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:18 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
The day we send Phaneuf or Green is the day I stop watching hockey AND STOP BEING CANADIAN.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

The only locks as far as I'm concerned for Canada are Weber, Crosby, Stamkos, and probably Toews because he was unbelievable last time and to me, he's the heart and sole of Canadian hockey. If someone were to leave him off of the list of locks I wouldn't be heartbroken though.

95 percenters

Tavares
Keith
Giroux

then everyone else

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:04 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
The only locks as far as I'm concerned for Canada are Weber, Crosby, Stamkos, and probably Toews because he was unbelievable last time and to me, he's the heart and sole of Canadian hockey. If someone were to leave him off of the list of locks I wouldn't be heartbroken though.

95 percenters

Tavares
Keith
Giroux

then everyone else
I'd add Getzlaf and Perry to the list of 95 percenters.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:16 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I'd add Getzlaf and Perry to the list of 95 percenters.
With they year they are having now? Yes. A bit scary considering they were both in contract years. It's irrelevant though, as they both are previous olympians.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:25 PM
rocketxav9

not sure why doughty should be a lock before pietrangelo

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:07 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Keep in mind this is Hockey Canada we're talking about...so let's not let logic get in the way of our speculation about what they'll do

Pietro should be there...but who knows.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Atas2000

He's having a rough year. even STL fans admit Shattenkirk is their best D-men now.

I wonder how it pans out. Not only with Pietrangelo. Keith is having a second rough season in a row. All of course by their standards.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxav9 View Post
not sure why doughty should be a lock before pietrangelo
All the BS aside, I would put Doughty above Pietrangelo and I loathe Doughty. Yes, I know he has the pedigree and all of that and Doughty takes a lot of heat but he's been the better player year in year out, since Pietrangelo came into the league.

Doughty was there in 2011, is extremely mobile himself, and has won everything under the sun.