Notices

Thoughts about Jankowski?

Old
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I said he was less of a reach. He was less of a reach. Much more like a Jankowski type pick than Pelech would be. The OP was suggesting that we made "safe" picks and referenced Pelech and Nemisz. Nemisz was kind of a safe pick, but Pelech was anything but.

Btw, what I said was "Nemisz was slated to go early in the second round." That is where he was slated to go on average, so I'm not sure what your point is?
Nemisz was a safe pick in the sense people didn't see him having a high ceiling but should be able to reach it rather easily. Pelech was the same kind of player but for some reason Sutter and Co. thought he had a lot of room to grow.

We have made risky picks before (Pelech is the best example) but in general we made safe picks, players that were big and physical who looked to be sure NHL players but just might be bottom 6 players.

It is hard to blame Sutter for doing this when he first got here as we had little no prospects to speak of and he had to get some players that could come in and fill a role rather quickly (grinders) but he stayed in this stage to long and when he did take risks (Pelech) it was the same type of player that he would have normally taken not a high skilled player.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sutter would have traded down and taken H.Samuelsson.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Nemisz was a safe pick in the sense people didn't see him having a high ceiling but should be able to reach it rather easily. Pelech was the same kind of player but for some reason Sutter and Co. thought he had a lot of room to grow.

We have made risky picks before (Pelech is the best example) but in general we made safe picks, players that were big and physical who looked to be sure NHL players but just might be bottom 6 players.

It is hard to blame Sutter for doing this when he first got here as we had little no prospects to speak of and he had to get some players that could come in and fill a role rather quickly (grinders) but he stayed in this stage to long and when he did take risks (Pelech) it was the same type of player that he would have normally taken not a high skilled player.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sutter would have traded down and taken H.Samuelsson.
I am in no way defending Sutter's draft record. Just to be clear, I think his was worse than Feasters by a mile. I am however disagreeing with the Janko and Sieloff picks. I didn't like either of those picks. Other than that, I really actually like the new regime's draft record. I liked all of the picks in 2011 other than Wotherspoon and that one has worked out decently.

I really liked the Gaudreau pick and that's a prime example of good asset management. We spent a 4th, he's probably worth a mid-1st. Brossoit, Gilles and Culkin would all get you more than you used to draft them too. I liked the Gordon and Kulak picks. I like Deblouw (Even though I'd never heard of him at the time) and think Feaster has done well going to other leagues and sources we hadn't previously considered.

I guess what I'm saying is good asset management is something this organization has to do consistently, every year. We can't take blind shots in the dark on players who played Midget AA or one dimensional organization needs. Needs change over time, so drafting guys because you won't have a heavy hitting defenseman next year doesn't make sense.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:42 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I am in no way defending Sutter's draft record. Just to be clear, I think his was worse than Feasters by a mile. I am however disagreeing with the Janko and Sieloff picks. I didn't like either of those picks. Other than that, I really actually like the new regime's draft record. I liked all of the picks in 2011 other than Wotherspoon and that one has worked out decently.

I really liked the Gaudreau pick and that's a prime example of good asset management. We spent a 4th, he's probably worth a mid-1st. Brossoit, Gilles and Culkin would all get you more than you used to draft them too. I liked the Gordon and Kulak picks. I like Deblouw (Even though I'd never heard of him at the time) and think Feaster has done well going to other leagues and sources we hadn't previously considered.

I guess what I'm saying is good asset management is something this organization has to do consistently, every year. We can't take blind shots in the dark on players who played Midget AA or one dimensional organization needs. Needs change over time, so drafting guys because you won't have a heavy hitting defenseman next year doesn't make sense.
I personally am holding off on the Janko pick because watching him you can see the skill is there, while I want TT when we had the chance I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

My point was when Sutter made a risky pick there wasn't a lot of visible upside on the player he would take but with Janko the skill is very evident.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
I personally am holding off on the Janko pick because watching him you can see the skill is there, while I want TT when we had the chance I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

My point was when Sutter made a risky pick there wasn't a lot of visible upside on the player he would take but with Janko the skill is very evident.
I agree with this. Sutter is not however the measure of successful drafting. It's like saying you could beat up a six year old girl when you're going into a fight with Silva. Our goal is to beat Silva (Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago) not the six year old girl (Sutter's draft record).

Admittedly, I haven't seen Janko other than one rookie camp session. I still would have liked TT or been satisfied with CC. If we're trading down I would have liked Maatta.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I agree with this. Sutter is not however the measure of successful drafting. It's like saying you could beat up a six year old girl when you're going into a fight with Silva. Our goal is to beat Silva (Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago) not the six year old girl (Sutter's draft record).

Admittedly, I haven't seen Janko other than one rookie camp session. I still would have liked TT or been satisfied with CC. If we're trading down I would have liked Maatta.
Janko, has hands like JG, he is just lanky once he fills out his body he could be quiet impressive.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Janko, has hands like JG, he is just lanky once he fills out his body he could be quiet impressive.
Does he? I've only seen him once, but the two players weren't remotely comparable during rookie camp. JG was at an entirely different level from everyone there not named Bartschi and he even looked better than Sven. Janko looked like he skated decently but had no idea what to do with the puck.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Does he? I've only seen him once, but the two players weren't remotely comparable during rookie camp. JG was at an entirely different level from everyone there not named Bartschi and he even looked better than Sven. Janko looked like he skated decently but had no idea what to do with the puck.
I wouldn't say it is 1-1 but Janko has some really sick hands, alot of the time he sets up a player with a nice dangle and the play dies on his teammates stick.

You have to remember when he was at the prospect camp it was the first time he ever played against someone not in HS, that is a huge jump. This offseason when he is in camp he will look much better.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:17 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
I wouldn't say it is 1-1 but Janko has some really sick hands, alot of the time he sets up a player with a nice dangle and the play dies on his teammates stick.

You have to remember when he was at the prospect camp it was the first time he ever played against someone not in HS, that is a huge jump. This offseason when he is in camp he will look much better.
His puck handling reminds me of Joe Thornton.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
His puck handling reminds me of Joe Thornton.
Oh my...

Old
03-12-2013, 03:24 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Oh my...
Same style, not level captain overreaction.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Same style, not level captain overreaction.
His style is not really like big Joe's at all if what I've heard is right. Thornton shield's the puck with very deliberate (slow) movement. I'm not sure if either of you (Hudlinator) are right, but Joe's puck handling is polar opposite of Gaudreau's (more of a Kane style).

Old
03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
His style is not really like big Joe's at all if what I've heard is right. Thornton shield's the puck with very deliberate (slow) movement. I'm not sure if either of you (Hudlinator) are right, but Joe's puck handling is polar opposite of Gaudreau's (more of a Kane style).
I dont agree with the Gaudreau comparison really, other than that they are both skilled puck handlers. Very different styles in my opinion.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
I dont agree with the Gaudreau comparison really, other than that they are both skilled puck handlers. Very different styles in my opinion.
Fair enough. Like I said, I've only seen him once. He looked panicky with the puck, but like another poster said, it could be the new level. I really need to watch him play since no one can seem to agree on even his style of play, yet alone level. Anyone know of places that providence games are broadcast?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:37 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Fair enough. Like I said, I've only seen him once. He looked panicky with the puck, but like another poster said, it could be the new level. I really need to watch him play since no one can seem to agree on even his style of play, yet alone level. Anyone know of places that providence games are broadcast?
He can be at times, but as was said a lot of nice plays have died on other players sticks for him this year. I think its led to him being a little too hesitant to pass sometimes, maybe feels like he has to do it all.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:31 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Unless you live on the east coast of the US, you'd have to do the pay-per-view streams via the team sites (I believe Providence does it occasionally, although I may be wrong on that). At least for regular season. Maybe the playoffs actually get some network exposure.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
The coach of the Dubuque Fighting Saints said Jankowski was basically Gaudreau in a 6'3 frame

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:15 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
The coach of the Dubuque Fighting Saints said Jankowski was basically Gaudreau in a 6'3 frame
Really? That's interesting. I find Jankowski uses his reach and speed a lot more than Gaudreau.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Really? That's interesting. I find Jankowski uses his reach and speed a lot more than Gaudreau.
I'm sure they aren't exactly the same, and the reach thing is obvious since well Gaudreau doesn't have much . But I find both to be very shifty, both with excellent hands and are able just see the game develop so well. I personally have found Gaudreau to be just as good at scoring as he is setting up plays, but Jankowski has big playmaking center written all over him. My dream..... no fantasy..... is for Jankowski to develop like Thornton.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:44 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Of course he uses his reach more he is actually has reach

Both are really shifty players, Janko seems to be a better deker and JG seems to see the ice and make passes better. Both have sick hands tho.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:38 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

From what I remember from watching the Prospect camp, Jankowski was one of the top 5-7 players out there. He skated well for a guy his size, had decent enough hands, but his reach was his biggest asset.

Here is exactly what I wrote after the prospect camp:
Quote:
Mark Jankowski- Man is he ever lanky. He is a bean pole, but he can skate and handle the puck. Huge reach allowed him to get around a couple defenders. If he bulks up watch out, I am really confident in this pick.
Quote:
So what i saw from Jankowski is that he is a good skater, he doesn't seem to be moving fast out there but he was always with the play. He made a couple good passes but his two best plays were a drive to the net where he shielded the puck from the defender and got a shot off, and the other was a play where he used his reach to essentially wrap the puck around a defender (think like a one handed forsberg shootout move where instead he taps the puck around the defender to himself on the other side) and passed it cross crease for what should have been a sure goal (the player whom I can't remember missed). Did not look out of place (which is huge because he was facing better competition than in stanstead) and was actually one of the better prospects out there.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
From what I remember from watching the Prospect camp, Jankowski was one of the top 5-7 players out there. He skated well for a guy his size, had decent enough hands, but his reach was his biggest asset.

Here is exactly what I wrote after the prospect camp:
according to his twitter about a month ago he posted that he was 168.5, so he's working on that lankiness that you mentioned. Still needs a little time though.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:12 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
according to his twitter about a month ago he posted that he was 168.5, so he's working on that lankiness that you mentioned. Still needs a little time though.
He is listed at 175

Old
03-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Flames92

Quote:
He is listed at 175
Hmm....

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old