HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS Article on Denis Morel, New Habs Scout

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2006, 09:38 AM
habscout

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
RDS Article on Denis Morel, New Habs Scout

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/209293.html

What I found interesting is that Morel has no scouting experience. Gainey must have liked something about Morel to hire him for this type of position.

Old
07-28-2006, 12:43 PM
goalchenyuk

in a previous article about that , in the journal LaPresse , they are saying that they will be 2 part time scouts for the Quebec . Michel Boucher was the Q scout for the Kings , and he's going to help Morel .

The article was saying that Morel called Gainey many times because he wanted to works for the Habs . Gainey also said that the ex- refree is going to give a different point of view about the players .

It's not the first time a refree will work for a team . I know that last season , there were 2-3 arbitres that were still working in the NHL , that were also working for the Leafs

Old
07-29-2006, 12:24 PM
HCH

I think this is a great move by the Canadiens. You can never have too many eyes and ears on the lookout for talent. I know the club has lost Savard but they signed three scouts since his departure. Now I would like to see them do something similar in the US college ranks and find a couple of guys who would like to fill a role similar to Morel's.

Old
07-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Michel Boucher was the Q scout for the Kings , and he's going to help Morel .
Wich quebec born players did the Kings draft while Boucher was scouting the Q for them? It would be interesting to know...

Old
07-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
Wich quebec born players did the Kings draft while Boucher was scouting the Q for them? It would be interesting to know...
Eric Neilson: gritty tough winger; serious injuries pretty much kept him out last year
Dany Roussin: Sydney Crosby's winger re-entered the draft after he couldn't come to terms with the panthers. They took him in 2005 2nd round. Spent last year in the ECHL
2006: Jonathan Bernier (G) and Joey Ryan, bruising stay-at-home D from the Remparts

They missed most notably Patrice Bergeron (they had the choice just before Boston) and Milan Jurcina (D, also with Bos) amonst others (clb Aaron Johnson, phi Alex Picard, isl Bruno Gervais)

Not too impressive, mind you...

Old
07-29-2006, 02:23 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Eric Neilson: gritty tough winger; serious injuries pretty much kept him out last year
Dany Roussin: Sydney Crosby's winger re-entered the draft after he couldn't come to terms with the panthers. They took him in 2005 2nd round. Spent last year in the ECHL
2006: Jonathan Bernier (G) and Joey Ryan, bruising stay-at-home D from the Remparts

They missed most notably Patrice Bergeron (they had the choice just before Boston) and Milan Jurcina (D, also with Bos) amonst others (clb Aaron Johnson, phi Alex Picard, isl Bruno Gervais)

Not too impressive, mind you...
What's not too impressive - that like 29 other teams' scouts he screwed up on Bergeron?

Old
07-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
A good ref like him has a different perspective on the game. A ref see's good qualities in players and the bad. Such as discipline, awareness, sneakyness and they most definitly can see skilled players on teams as sometimes when a skilled player does something they avoid calling a penalty and when another player does a small thing like hook him barely, they call it, because they are protecting them. So this is a smart move by Gainey and he also seems committed.

Old
07-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
By the way can anyone get me a list of the Bruins Quebec scouts?

Old
07-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
What's not too impressive - that like 29 other teams' scouts he screwed up on Bergeron?
That in 6 years, the Kings did not find one decent player from the Q, that they left a couple of very nice one get away and that the 2 guys they did take look like busts; especially Roussin, whose selection in the 2nd as a re-entered player seems questionnable at best.(he couldn't even play in the AHL last year). I know Boucher ain't too blame by himself, I just noted that at first glance, his pedigree wasn't really impressive. It seems to me it would be hard to say otherwise

Old
07-29-2006, 02:49 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
That in 6 years, the Kings did not find one decent player from the Q, that they left a couple of very nice one get away and that the 2 guys they did take look like busts; especially Roussin, whose selection in the 2nd as a re-entered player seems questionnable at best.(he couldn't even play in the AHL last year). I know Boucher ain't too blame by himself, I just noted that at first glance, his pedigree wasn't really impressive. It seems to me it would be hard to say otherwise
Give me a freeking break.

You're writing off Bernier and Ryan already are you? and Roussin as well? He's an ancient 21.

So not only are you calling players busts way too soon, but you are also insinuating that every other team has been wildly successful in the past six years drafting players from the Q, which is about as false as you can get.

Old
07-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Give me a freeking break.

You're writing off Bernier and Ryan already are you? and Roussin as well? He's an ancient 21.

So not only are you calling players busts way too soon, but you are also insinuating that every other team has been wildly successful in the past six years drafting players from the Q, which is about as false as you can get.
If you had paid a little attention, you'd have noted that I did not comment on the 2006 selections; of course, it's way too soon, so I don't know where you take it from that I write them off.

As for Roussin, it was commented at the time that it was a weird selection, a lot of people pointing out that is astonishing number of points was the result of playing with crosby and that his skills set wasn't that impressive. But maybe it was he, who was boosting Sydney's stat I'm not burying him yet, just noticing that at 21, he wasn't able to establish himself as a capable AHLer. Maybe you can tell me how it's a good thing... So in brief: 2001-2005 = nothing impressive. That doesn't mean that Boucher is an idiot, just taking act that at this point, he has no good finds that he can take credit for + has a bust or 2.

Old
07-29-2006, 03:42 PM
turnbuckle*

I'm waiting for them to erect a statue in Quebec to the scout most responsible for drafting St. Bergeron. You'd swear he was the greatest player ever the way people carry on about him, as if he is the only second round draft pick to ever enjoy some early NHL success. For some reason since he is from the province of Quebec Montreal scouts are supposed to be seers when it comes to local players.

It has never been the case unfortunately.

The Great Sam Pollock and his scouts missed the boat on Bossy - and what was Sam thinking not having a first round pick in 1979? If the Habs were as bright then as they were supposed to be in 2003 when Bergeron the Great was overpassed, Pollock would have secured a top 7 pick in order to draft Bourque.

If if if.....

Old
07-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
I'm waiting for them to erect a statue in Quebec to the scout most responsible for drafting St. Bergeron. You'd swear he was the greatest player ever the way people carry on about him, as if he is the only second round draft pick to ever enjoy some early NHL success. For some reason since he is from the province of Quebec Montreal scouts are supposed to be seers when it comes to local players.

It has never been the case unfortunately.

The Great Sam Pollock and his scouts missed the boat on Bossy - and what was Sam thinking not having a first round pick in 1979? If the Habs were as bright then as they were supposed to be in 2003 when Bergeron the Great was overpassed, Pollock would have secured a top 7 pick in order to draft Bourque.

If if if.....
I really don't know what you're babbling about. I barely mentioned Bergeron. I stated the obvious: Boucher has been with LA 6 years and has nothing to show for. As for Bergeron, I'm sure nobody expected so much so early, but somewhere somebody liked him, and it wasn't Boucher. I don't want him to be perfect, but it would be nice if he had one or two decent players that he could say : "hey, I recommended that guy !

Somebody asked what Boucher's story was with the Kings and I answered. Almost exclusively with the facts by the way (if you don't like them, nothing I can do about it) No need for you to get all grumpy...

Closed Thread