HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens 4th Line - Or lack there of

Old
03-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
Any change Pens claim Eager off waivers?
Can't see it. Pens already have one 4th liner, Tanner Glass, not earning his 1.1m salary. The only chance of Eager going to the Pens would be a swap of struggling 4th liners. Tanner Glass 1.1m this year and next for Ben Eager 1.1m this year and next. The money evens out but Eager got waived so obviously that deal didn't happen and likely never will.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:29 PM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
A lot of fans from both sides that a lateral move like this is kind of what both teams get for their needs.

Colby Armstrong

Tanner Glass
Instadeal for Pens.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
IMO, the best way the Pens improve their 4th line is by making moves to improve their top nine.

For example, bring in a guy who can be a top line player (Stewart, Setoguchi, heck, even Stempniak) to play with Sid and Kunitz, you can then bump Dupuis down to the 3rd line, and bump Cooke to the 4th line. Bring in a guy like Clutterbuck for the 3rd line, you can then bump Kennedy down to the 4th line (or keep Adams there.

Suddenly the 4th line is Cooke - Vitale - Kennedy/Adams, which isn't nearly as offensively brutal as it currently is, and is just as good defensively and on the forecheck.

Trickle down effect, improving all lines, rather than just going out and getting a better 4th liner.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
IMO, the best way the Pens improve their 4th line is by making moves to improve their top nine.

For example, bring in a guy who can be a top line player (Stewart, Setoguchi, heck, even Stempniak) to play with Sid and Kunitz, you can then bump Dupuis down to the 3rd line, and bump Cooke to the 4th line. Bring in a guy like Clutterbuck for the 3rd line, you can then bump Kennedy down to the 4th line (or keep Adams there.

Suddenly the 4th line is Cooke - Vitale - Kennedy/Adams, which isn't nearly as offensively brutal as it currently is, and is just as good defensively and on the forecheck.

Trickle down effect, improving all lines, rather than just going out and getting a better 4th liner.
I see little chance in having Dupper on third line. Less then zero chance in Cooke going to 4th..not a horrible theory...just not seeing it.

BrookswasHere44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Jaded-Fan

Kind of depressing that Shero had something ridiculous like $11 million of cap space to work with this offseason and all he has to show for it from a UFA standpoint is Glass.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Can't see it. Pens already have one 4th liner, Tanner Glass, not earning his 1.1m salary. The only chance of Eager going to the Pens would be a swap of struggling 4th liners. Tanner Glass 1.1m this year and next for Ben Eager 1.1m this year and next. The money evens out but Eager got waived so obviously that deal didn't happen and likely never will.
Really?

27 games played, he has 70 hits (leads team) and 13 blocked shots while logging 1:29/G on the PK (should be more, Adams gets far too many minutes and has 1 more blocked shots than he does, Bylsma's fault not Glass').

If you thought Tanner Glass was going to put up 20pts, you are sorely mistaken. I don't think you know what Tanner Glass brings to the table and that's why you and some of the other people in this thread, are confused as to why he's with the Pens.

How about the fact that he's a solid hard hitting 4th liner that isn't a liability skating wise, in his own end and forechecking. It's a shortened season, in an 82 game schedule, maybe spread out, he puts up points here and there to add up to maybe 10, but in a shortened season, it is what it is.

He leads the Penguins in hits and is tied for 20th in the league for hits.

Hendricks is tied for 107th.
Armstrong has 28 hits in his 26 games.

Yeah, I'd rather hang on to Glass unless it was a clear upgrade, of which those two are not. Eager is barely one as well.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:56 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
You just need to get responsible, big-bodied wingers. Guys that don't have anything flashy to their game, just get the puck in the zone, work hard, and are smart enough defensively to not be a liability.

Devils did that with Carter-Gionta-Bernier. Kostopolous is giving the Devils that right now as Bernier and Carter have been playing like top nine forwards and have been moved up.
I'm still mad Shero didn't reach out to Bernier when he was sitting at home watching hockey in Oct 2011. Would've been a very nice addition.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
I'm still mad Shero didn't reach out to Bernier when he was sitting at home watching hockey in Oct 2011. Would've been a very nice addition.
His skating was an issue, there was a reason why the Pens didn't offer him a contract, 29 other teams didn't either at that point. The Devils were desperate and it worked out for them.

Are you going to say you're mad the Pens didn't keep Ponikarovksy or trade for him again like the Devils, next?

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
6th. Done. So why won't the Caps sign him? Seems like a good guy in the room, plays his tail off every shift, will fight, and has some offensive skills to boot. Seems like a perfect 4th liner.
I believe you answered your own question

Old
03-13-2013, 07:09 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
His skating was an issue, there was a reason why the Pens didn't offer him a contract, 29 other teams didn't either at that point. The Devils were desperate and it worked out for them.

Are you going to say you're mad the Pens didn't keep Ponikarovksy or trade for him again like the Devils, next?
Bernier would've been a cheap signing, and would've been solid depth at the absolute worst. He signed an AHL-only deal just to get back to playing hockey, then upgraded to a two-way deal so he could play for the Devils when they had some injury trouble last season and he made it stick. Even now, the Devils were able to re-sign him for 2 years at a $0.775m cap hit last summer.

Even with his new(ish) $1.8-million contract, I'd have no interest in Ponikarovsky. It's about value - Bernier @ $0.775m has it, Ponikarovsky @ $1.8m doesn't.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Really?

27 games played, he has 70 hits (leads team) and 13 blocked shots while logging 1:29/G on the PK (should be more, Adams gets far too many minutes and has 1 more blocked shots than he does, Bylsma's fault not Glass').

If you thought Tanner Glass was going to put up 20pts, you are sorely mistaken. I don't think you know what Tanner Glass brings to the table and that's why you and some of the other people in this thread, are confused as to why he's with the Pens.

How about the fact that he's a solid hard hitting 4th liner that isn't a liability skating wise, in his own end and forechecking. It's a shortened season, in an 82 game schedule, maybe spread out, he puts up points here and there to add up to maybe 10, but in a shortened season, it is what it is.

He leads the Penguins in hits and is tied for 20th in the league for hits.

Hendricks is tied for 107th.
Armstrong has 28 hits in his 26 games.

Yeah, I'd rather hang on to Glass unless it was a clear upgrade, of which those two are not. Eager is barely one as well.
I didn't expect 20 points but how about getting one point. He still has zero. The 4th line looks horrible and he's part of it. I'm not knocking his PK work etc. but he's only 5th among forwards in PK minutes. It's not like he's crucial to that unit and he sucks at ES. I mean, I could probably tolerate one of Adams or Glass but both of them is overkill and the 4th line sucks because of it. I do think Hendricks is an upgrade.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote