HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2012-13 Season

Old
03-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Lets see. Sign vets/FAs and other players to one way Hershey only deals when the Caps won't send us prospects or pay for us to have decent players is one big way we win in spite of the Caps (Bourque for the last cup runs and guys like Oleksy this year).
5 of the top 6 playoff scorers on the Bears' '05-'06 championship team were Caps' prospects or acquisitions. And there were a decent amount of other Caps' prospects on that team.

5 of the top 7 playoff scorers on the Bears' '08-'09 championship team were Caps' prospects or acquisitions. And there were a decent amount of other Caps' prospects on that team.

6 of the top 10 playoff scorers on the Bears' '09-'10 championship team were Caps' prospects or acquisitions. And there were a decent amount of other Caps' prospects on that team.

I'll give you the last couple years have been a decent amount leaner but the Bears don't come close to winning any of those Calder Cups without such significant contributions from Caps' prospects and signings.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Lurch

vCash: 85
How about every player whose salary was not paid by Washington. You are in New York, what do you know about the Hershey Bears? How many games have you attended? I have gone to every home game for many years and know the team well. If Ted and GMGM cannot manage the NHL team well, what makes you think they care at all for the AHL affiliate? You tell me, what hot prospect is in Hershey that was signed by the Caps?

That said, don't take my word for it. Both coach French and our GM have said in recent interviews that Washington does not send quality prospects and leaves them to fend for themselves and they do the best they can with what they are given. As you can imagine we are having a tough time without 1/2 of our D corps and frequent callups of our #1 goalie.

As far as ignoring us, do you know who showed up from the Caps for our 75th anniversary? Nobody. The president of the AHL was there, but no Ted or GMGM. How about the outdoor Classic this or last year? Answer again is none. When we played in DC during the lockout, Norfolk was the home team. I could go on, but you get the point. No support nor pride in the AHL affiliate.

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:05 PM
hb11xchamps

I think all the frustration is brewing from the back to back Hershey first round playoff exits. What Bears fans need to realize is that we were spoiled to win 3 Calder Cups in the first 5 years of the affiliation and go to the finals 4 times. The prospect pool is going to be restocked and the Bears will return to relevancy in the next few years. The affiliation has been great for both the Caps and the Bears and Hershey fans need to stop complaining. Washington made moves to benefit the parent club the past few years because they are in a win now mentality. The Bears aren't going to win every year and I am happy we have consistently made the playoffs with this affiliation.

On another note the whole Mark French as being head coach of Hershey is beginning to get old. I for one am hoping they git rid of him at the end of the season and find a new voice to lead the team. Bears have looked very deflated this year

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post

I'll give you the last couple years have been a decent amount leaner but the Bears don't come close to winning any of those Calder Cups without such significant contributions from Caps' prospects and signings.
Leaner? More like non-existent. Caps let the AHL's best scorers walk last year (Aucoin and Bourque). Again, if the Caps can't manage their NHL team well, why do you think they would do a good job on the AHL side.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
How about every player whose salary was not paid by Washington. You are in New York, what do you know about the Hershey Bears? How many games have you attended? I have gone to every home game for many years and know the team well. If Ted and GMGM cannot manage the NHL team well, what makes you think they care at all for the AHL affiliate? You tell me, what hot prospect is in Hershey that was signed by the Caps?

That said, don't take my word for it. Both coach French and our GM have said in recent interviews that Washington does not send quality prospects and leaves them to fend for themselves and they do the best they can with what they are given. As you can imagine we are having a tough time without 1/2 of our D corps and frequent callups of our #1 goalie.

As far as ignoring us, do you know who showed up from the Caps for our 75th anniversary? Nobody. The president of the AHL was there, but no Ted or GMGM. How about the outdoor Classic this or last year? Answer again is none. When we played in DC during the lockout, Norfolk was the home team. I could go on, but you get the point. No support nor pride in the AHL affiliate.
Literally not one single sentence in this post addressed what I had asked. You look like such a fool, but I'm glad to see my hunch about your position was right. No one is disputing that the prospect supply has dried up in the last couple of years (especially this one). That has nothing to do with the Caps' role in the Calder Cup wins.

Thanks for the numbers, Millhaus, although since you don't live in Hershey you may not be qualified to talk about the subject. Anyway, those numbers don't even note the presence of Neuvirth. Didn't he win playoff MVP in one of those two years?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:12 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:

You really don't pay attention do you?

1. Cam Schilling and Phillip Grubauer are hot prospects and have done extremely well. Galiev was here earlier and is a highly rated prospect. Kundratek was in Hershey earlier this year and has excelled.

2. The Caps and the Bears cannot control injuries and sickness that happens to Washington players. The Bears players are not signed to just play in the AHL but to provide depth for Washington in case of injuries and sickness

3. GMGM is in charge of the Capitals and not the Bears. He is in Hershey frequently if you turn your head and look into the Hershey suite and is here at almost every playoff game when the Caps are eliminated

4. I would like a source for your accusation that Yingst and French bad mouthed the organization

5. GMGM and Mike Green were at the outdoor game after playing in Tampa Bay that night, that shows dedication.

6. Norfolk was the home team because Hershey did not want to give up a home game for their loyal fans who paid a lot of money for season tickets.

I really don't see how you missed any of this

Old
03-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Lurch

Bears are deflated this year because the team was dismantled after last season. The way things are going now, those first round exits look good considering it is unlikely we even make the playoffs at this point. We were in must win mode before we lost our top 3 D men.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Aucoin signed a deal with a shot at the NHL (a better one than with the Caps), so it's not like he would have been easy to bring back to Hershey. And wasn't Bourque done with the org, again looking for an NHL shot? They turned him into a marginally useful asset, that's better than could have been done.

Besides, hasn't it always been Yingst's desire to only have ~1/3 of his roster be NHL prospects, 1/3 tweeners, and 1/3 AHL only guys? It's a framework the two sides appear to have been comfortable with, and has its ups and downs for both of them.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Bears are deflated this year because the team was dismantled after last season. The way things are going now, those first round exits look good considering it is unlikely we even make the playoffs at this point. We were in must win mode before we lost our top 3 D men.
You clearly are either A) A fool or B) Have no common sense. Of course the team was dismantled. The Bears can't have the same players every single year. I'm sure that Andrew Gordon, Steve Pinnizzoto, Chris Bourque, Keith Aucoin, Alex Giroux, etc. would rather have be given a chance playing in the NHL then to sit and ride a bus in the minors. Players dreams are to play in the NHL not for Hershey.

And again we lost our top 3 D because Kundratek is considered a prospect and graduated, and Oleksy and Schilling were recalled because of injuries.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Literally not one single sentence in this post addressed what I had asked. You look like such a fool, but I'm glad to see my hunch about your position was right. No one is disputing that the prospect supply has dried up in the last couple of years (especially this one). That has nothing to do with the Caps' role in the Calder Cup wins.

Thanks for the numbers, Millhaus, although since you don't live in Hershey you may not be qualified to talk about the subject. Anyway, those numbers don't even note the presence of Neuvirth. Didn't he win playoff MVP in one of those two years?
I've had season tickets for 25 years, how many games have you attended?

Old
03-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:20 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Must not have learned anything in those 25 years then. I have had season tickets since the Caps affiliation began and attending many games when the Colorado organization was with Hershey and am very happy with the Caps being the parent club. If you aren't happy with them then you are selfish 3 Calder Cups and 4 finals appearances is pretty damn good in my opinion

Old
03-13-2013, 07:24 PM
CrashTheNet9

Guy gets schooled by Caps fans and fellow Hershey fan so he decides to change subject and act like attending more games validates him more.

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:26 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
Guy gets schooled by Caps fans and fellow Hershey fan so he decides to change subject and act like attending more games validates him more.
Lol classic argument. Next it's gonna be my dad can beat up your dad

Old
03-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Lurch

Just one Bears fan. Most I know are not happy with the Caps organization. Caps fans don't give a care about the minor league teams. Funny how they think they are treated poorly by the Caps, but we should be happy to be a part of this train wreck.

I would bet dollars to donuts that most people on this thread have not seen one Bears game yet my opinion of the situation is invalid when i have attended every game for years, know the players, coaching staff, and management personally, and hear it from the actual people involved.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Lol classic argument. Next it's gonna be my dad can beat up your dad
Hey, you want to meet me for a beer after a game I'd be happy to let you insult me in person little guy. Hell, ill buy.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Eh, if Hershey wants a different affiliate they're free to make the move. There's no particular obligation based on what was accomplished a few years ago. They're probably the most demanding AHL franchise and if they can get a better set-up then they should go for it.
Quote:
Funny how they think they are treated poorly by the Caps, but we should be happy to be a part of this train wreck.
That train wreck = no NHL playoffs = players available for the Bears once the NHL regular season is over so I wouldn't view that too negatively purely from a Bears standpoint. They just need to maintain a playoff spot and wait.

There's not much you can do about injuries. It's a fact of life for any AHL affiliate. In the next month or so they could have Forsberg & Wey join them after their season's end, though I'm not sure the later would play all that much initially. It's possible they could sign some college FA forwards that could contribute and improve their depth up front (a pretty big issue it seems). Should the Caps sell at the deadline they could receive additional AHL contributors. A parent club sucking is typically far from a bad thing for an AHL affiliate (see the first few years of the affiliation).

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Eh, if Hershey wants a different affiliate they're free to make the move. There's no particular obligation based on what was accomplished a few years ago. They're probably the most demanding AHL franchise and if they can get a better set-up then they should go for it.

That train wreck = no NHL playoffs = players available for the Bears once the NHL regular season is over so I wouldn't view that too negatively purely from a Bears standpoint. They just need to maintain a playoff spot and wait.

There's not much you can do about injuries. It's a fact of life for any AHL affiliate. In the next month or so they could have Forsberg & Wey join them after their season's end, though I'm not sure the later would play all that much initially. It's possible they could sign some college FA forwards that could contribute and improve their depth up front (a pretty big issue it seems). Should the Caps sell at the deadline they could receive additional AHL contributors. A parent club sucking is typically far from a bad thing for an AHL affiliate (see the first few years of the affiliation).
As bad as the Caps have been playing recently, I think they have a much better shot at making the playoffs then Hershey at this point. At least we should all be able to root for the Royals chasing down the Kelly Cup. Even with their very depleted roster they are tearing up the ECHL.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Rumblick

Wow - Lurch is the typical spoiled Hershey fan in a nutshell. We don't win two of those Cups without Neuvirth in goal, Carlson & Alzner (and to a slightly lesser extent, Schultz) on the blue line, and forwards like Bourque (a Caps signing and property, so I can't see how you say we had him despite Washington), Andrew Gordon, Matthieu Perreault, Bouchard, and others. A good number of the others (Aucoin, Giroux, etc.) were on 2-way deals, which we can't sign except for McPhee's say-so. This season, with fewer Caps spots available, more of the Bears have been on Hershey-only contracts, and you see the results.

The Caps didn't "let Bourque go" - he was an unrestricted free agent. They actually made a good move with him, trading his rights for Zach Hamill, who they used to get Casey Wellman, one of the brighter spots on this current team. BTW, Bourque couldn't stay with the Bruins and is now back at his talent level - the AHL. He'll be in Europe full time before too long.

If you've been a Bears fan as long as you claim, you should remember the Fixter years. At least the Cpas give us leeway to sign our own players. Colorado didn't care about the W-L record, and they said so during our 0-16-2 streak in 2001-02.

You want a lousy affiliate? Look at Albany, Springfield (prior to this year), San Antonio, and any number of others. Our agreement with the Caps is one of the best out there. Seven seasons, three Cups, four Finals, and five seasons of 100 or more points.

Oh, and as "qualifications" and location seem to be a major point with you: Hershey resident since 1997, Bears fan since 1989, season ticket holder since 1991, and I've been following NHL hockey since 1970.

Rumblick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:38 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Just one Bears fan. Most I know are not happy with the Caps organization. Caps fans don't give a care about the minor league teams. Funny how they think they are treated poorly by the Caps, but we should be happy to be a part of this train wreck.

I would bet dollars to donuts that most people on this thread have not seen one Bears game yet my opinion of the situation is invalid when i have attended every game for years, know the players, coaching staff, and management personally, and hear it from the actual people involved.
Then you owe me some big bucks. I saw 30 games this year, most beginning at 2AM or later.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Leaner? More like non-existent. Caps let the AHL's best scorers walk last year (Aucoin and Bourque). Again, if the Caps can't manage their NHL team well, why do you think they would do a good job on the AHL side.
So this is a 'what have you done for me lately' thing? The Bears are less than 3 years removed from the last of their 3 championships in 5 years, which is the most successful period in their history, which dates back to '38-'39 mind you.

Are you under the impression that the Caps are under some obligation to help ice a championship caliber Bears team every year or something?

The Bears benefited from a very nice group of Caps' prospects and also the success of their NHL parent club making it important to have top AHL veterans who could contribute in the NHL when required.

That prospect pool has run fairly dry at the North American minor pro level recently, which isn't a big deal as these kinds of things are cyclical and the Caps have a few blue chippers in Europe or major junior. And the Caps on ice fortunes makes it less important for them to stock the Bears with a few top AHL talents also. That being said, this is the first year Aucoin hasn't been a Bear in a while.

Your expectations seem a decent amount unrealistic IMO...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:54 AM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Hey, you want to meet me for a beer after a game I'd be happy to let you insult me in person little guy. Hell, ill buy.
Nah I'll pass. At least I have provided facts to prove your claims wrong and so have countless others while you sit here to just blast the organization as a whole. Take the Caps affiliation away and Hershey only has 8 Calder Cups instead of 11. Spoiled is the perfect word for you

Old
03-14-2013, 09:57 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Nah I'll pass. At least I have provided facts to prove your claims wrong and so have countless others while you sit here to just blast the organization as a whole. Take the Caps affiliation away and Hershey only has 8 Calder Cups instead of 11. Spoiled is the perfect word for you
Only 8... you are ALL spoiled...

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
What can I say, we have a great GM and a lousy affiliate. I attribute our Calder Cup success to local management in spite of the Caps best efforts to ignore us. We also won 8 cups without the Caps. Really, what has Washington done for Hershey. They have the best AHL affiliate by a long shot and treat us like a stepchild.
Yup, I'm sure Alzner, Carlson, Neuvirth, Perreault, Osala, A. Gordon, Beagle, Bouchard, Green, Fleischmann, Fehr, Boyd Gordon, Steckel, Laich, et al. had nothing to do with those Calder Cups.

Washington did nothing to provide Hershey with those players, right?

I'm sure Yingst the great and powerful would be winning Cups like it's going out of style without significant help from the Caps and their prospects. I mean, look at all those Calder Cups he won as a GM before the Caps were the Bears' affiliate.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:11 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Only 8... you are ALL spoiled...
Yeah but two of those other 3 don't count because they were with Neuvirth.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote