HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Seth Jones (2013, 4th overall, Nashville) II

Old
03-13-2013, 07:46 PM
silkyjohnson50*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Pump the brakes.

As of now, it doesn't look like it, but you never know. Datsyuk wasn't thought of as much when he was drafted.
Yeah, I doubt many would have predicted Lidstrom becoming Lidstrom either - even if he was drafted in the Internet age.

As far as pre-draft hype, no Jones isn't comparable to Crosby.

Crosby was the most hyped hockey player since Lindros. If you were a hockey fan, you knew about Sid since he was 15 at the very latest. He had his name on an Easton Synergy when he was like 16, and everybody knew he was without any question going to be the #1 pick.

Crosby, LeBron, and Bryce Harper were the most hyped prospects in their respective sports since the Internet really took over everything, and quite frankly nobody else was really close.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:05 PM
will13

Maybe not "generational" but still an unreal talent regardless. Can see him becoming a rob Blake type player

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Hedman and Johnson haven't been amazing, though doughty is holding his own quiet well.

Time willt ell

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Man Bear Pig

What's the definition of a "generational talent"? IMO there's only one in the NHL right now and that's Crosby. Pretty difficult to reach those standards.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

NO. Jones is better.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:59 PM
TheTechNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
this is mostly where i'm going. Even McDavid's attention is coming a bit later then Crosbies was, no?
It is. There wasn't a jr hockey player (I don't mean major jr, I mean jr) in Halifax or a parent/guardian of a jr hockey player in Halifax who didn't know who Crosby was at a very young age, all of Nova Scotia before 10 and by the time he played for the subways (midget AAA) he was getting at least country-wide attention.

There are definitely other talents, especially in the 70s-80s who had a similar local affect though at a young jr age. McDavid did seem to start receiving some wide attention awful young tho but Crosby was younger. Not that, that matters for this thread...

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:07 PM
TheTechNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
Perhaps it's because I'm not a scouting expert, prospect guru or all around hockey genius but I am not even sure what is meant by 'generational' talent. It seems to be used pretty commonly around here which kind of defeats the purpose of the term doesn't it?

I have heard people say Jones' upside is something along the lines of Pronger. Obviously a great player, but generational? Throughout much of his career considered the undisputed best player? Record setter? Changed the way the game was played?
Correct. And also - as far as I know there are no scouting experts or 'prospect gurus' on this site. And whether you are or aren't a 'hockey genius' doesn't make a difference if you don't watch all of these prospects regularly. I see highlights of OHL prospects at most for example, so I cannot fairly rank or judge them in the slightest. I can look at stats and read articles from people who are experts, but that doesn't allow me to form MY opinion it just gives me an idea of what to maybe expect. I watch every moosehead game home & away and watch a lot of WHL games live of different teams when they come to Calgary to play the Hitmen but really moosehead players are the only ones I have a lot of experience watching. Heck between KHL, DEL, SM-Liiga I've only watched a combined maybe two dozen games in the past 4 years.

I'd be surprised if many people on this board have watched at least 20 games from each of the projected first rounders, maybe even 10.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Certainly not, but he definitely has the potential to be an elite defenseman for a long time.

Stoneberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:35 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
No, I don't think he is, but I think he has the potential to be.... so I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up being an elite defenceman for 15 years like a Rob Blake or something.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

He plays a style similar to Cody Franson

Anyway, answer is unlikely and let the kid first make the NHL before even considering that.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:31 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Crosby level? No, don't be silly.

Generational talent, however? Hell yes. He's a more impressive Dman prospec than E. Johnson, Doughty, Hedman, Larsson or anyone else has been at the same age. My personal feeling is that he will be the best highly touted Dman drafted since Chris Pronger.

That makes him a perennial Norris contender and could contend for other hardware, as well. But no, he's not going to be neck-and-neck with Sid every year for best player in the world. He'll be a notch below. There's no Sid equivalent (i.e. Bobby Orr type) yet in the game. We'll see if Sean Day becomes that player, but it's too soon, and Jones, while awesome, won't be quite that.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:04 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Crosby level? No, don't be silly.

Generational talent, however? Hell yes. He's a more impressive Dman prospec than E. Johnson, Doughty, Hedman, Larsson or anyone else has been at the same age. My personal feeling is that he will be the best highly touted Dman drafted since Chris Pronger.

That makes him a perennial Norris contender and could contend for other hardware, as well. But no, he's not going to be neck-and-neck with Sid every year for best player in the world. He'll be a notch below. There's no Sid equivalent (i.e. Bobby Orr type) yet in the game. We'll see if Sean Day becomes that player, but it's too soon, and Jones, while awesome, won't be quite that.
I agree with him being a better prospect then any of the mentioned previously drafted Dmen. I think the most exciting part with Jones is althought hes already a very dominant player hes still raw in certain areas with what seems like penty of room to grow. He also will be a absolute beast physically when hes about 25 and if he can keep his elite mobility with the added weight he will be a problem. I dont think he can step right into the NHL an be a force and think it might take some time with him but when he matures and gets accustomed to the league he will be a monster.

I see him as a more physical Pietrangelo in his prime.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:07 AM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

As far as D-man, in my opinion that is a yes. Only time will tell though, but this is as high as I can remember being on a D-man going into the draft in the last decade.

Honestly the best I can remember since Pronger, of course he will have to live up to it.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:37 AM
c4rdsh4rk

he will likely be among the top dmen at a very young age and continue to be a perennial all-star throughout his entire career.

i dont consider that alone to be enough for generational consideration. like someone else said, stamkos is a very special player at such a young age but i wouldnt call that generational either. crosby is still a step ahead and i would consider crosby generational.

comparing jones' future to one of todays top forwards i would say guys like stamkos/malkin as opposed to crosby. as for ovechkin... he couldve been a step ahead of stamkos/malkin and considered generational but look at whats happened there... so its easy to say someone is generational talent when really they are not. you wouldnt think that would happen to a generational talent and you wouldnt think it would happen to crosby either... so only time can truly tell if a player is generational talent by the end of his career.

c4rdsh4rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
What's the definition of a "generational talent"? IMO there's only one in the NHL right now and that's Crosby. Pretty difficult to reach those standards.
You want to know what a generational talent is?

1. Buy a ticket and go watch one of that players' games.

2. Look around the rink.

3. Count the number of scouts.

4. Ask them how far they came from to see him.

5. Ask them how many times they've come to see him

6. Compared with previous 1st picks and other prospects.

This will tell you everything. Scouts go whole careers with the hope of seeing a Gretzky in juniors during their time.

Seth Jones is not a generational talent.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:23 AM
Rydgar

From what I've seen through streaming (6ish games) definitely no.

Rydgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:02 AM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
He's going to bust.

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:10 AM
The Sweetness

I don't think Jones has done anything yet to suggest he is a generational talent (at this stage) though we have no idea knowing how he will develop.

It isn't fair to put him in the generational talent category when he isn't even judged as the absolute consensus #1 player in the draft.

How many generational d-men have we seen? If Jones deserved that label he'd easily have been the clear cut #1 pick at this stage. Heck, even Stamkos and Tavares aren't generational talents and it seems a stretch to think Jones would have gone before them in the draft.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Exit Dose

While I wouldn't call Jones a generational talent, I don't think those things are determined by draft position or "hype".

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

I think we use this term a little loosely. He may turn out to be one, but that would still be a stretch.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:30 AM
King William
MARNER & NYLANDER

No.

Some people don't remember but Jay Bouwmeester got as much hype as Jones is getting now.

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:36 PM
mcjukon
#McNailedIt

HF Boards definition:

Quote:
10. Generational Talent - a player for the ages, one who can do things with a puck that no other player would even contemplate doing. Very, very few players will be deserving of this rating, probably one per decade.

Defense: Bobby Orr
Forward: Wayne Gretzky
Goaltender: Patrick Roy
I would say by that definition absolutely not. I would rate him a 9C or 9B at best.

mcjukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:31 PM
SatanwasaSlovak

No, he'll end up like Chris Phillips.....

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:42 PM
nki

9C using HFBoards scale IMO

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
Time willt ell
Astute point. Wilt the Stilt was a generational player as well.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote