HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 05:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($1.800m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.578m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Robyn Regehr ($4.000m) / Jordan Leopold ($3.000m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) / Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.613m)
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($2.500m)
Evgeni Nabokov ($2.250m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,300,024; BONUSES: $3,012,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $7,801,476

I tried to keep it somewhat realistic. The first thing I did was trade Briere and Meszaros to the blues for David Perron. Briere replaces mcdonald next season. Blues normally are way under the cap and Danny B is only getting 3 mil in real money. Would like Brian Elliot as well, if the Flyers cant get him, I put them at making a move for mike smith.

Then I signed Nabokov as a backup goalie. I think he can be Bryz like this season and post up decent numbers.

Resigned Gagne, I think he could be a good contributer on the 3rd line. Cheap and effective.

I added two more D-men in Regehr and Leopold (Not a fan of Leopold but tried to keep it realistic). This team would have 8 million in cap space. More than enough to trade for a better and higher priced goalie, enough to pick up someone on the last year of a deal at the trade deadline, quality depth.
Smith can't even ****ing cut it in Phoenix. What makes you think he will pan out here?

Old
03-13-2013, 05:24 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($2.500m)
Evgeni Nabokov ($2.250m)
OTHER

------

I tried to keep it somewhat realistic. The first thing I did was trade Briere and Meszaros to the blues for David Perron. Briere replaces mcdonald next season. Blues normally are way under the cap and Danny B is only getting 3 mil in real money. Would like Brian Elliot as well, if the Flyers cant get him, I put them at making a move for mike smith.

Then I signed Nabokov as a backup goalie. I think he can be Bryz like this season and post up decent numbers.

Resigned Gagne, I think he could be a good contributer on the 3rd line. Cheap and effective.

I added two more D-men in Regehr and Leopold (Not a fan of Leopold but tried to keep it realistic). This team would have 8 million in cap space. More than enough to trade for a better and higher priced goalie, enough to pick up someone on the last year of a deal at the trade deadline, quality depth.
Smith is the same thing as Bryz. Product of the same system.

Like I said earlier, getting Bernier from LA would be a good option if the price is right.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:26 PM
McNasty

Quote:
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($2.500m)
Evgeni Nabokov ($2.250m)
OTHER

------

Brian Elliot has been Swiss Cheese this year...

Old
03-13-2013, 05:28 PM
DrHamburg

Yeah except Smith is half the cost. Id prefer Bernier over smith any day. I just dont think its a realistic option. Id like Bishop or Elliot.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:35 PM
MillerTime2181

Quote:
Yeah except Smith is half the cost. Id prefer Bernier over smith any day. I just dont think its a realistic option. Id like Bishop or Elliot.
AS much as we all may want to amnesty Bryz he's been good this year. I honestly think the Flyers organization is going to give him another full (82-game season) to decide whether or not to amnesty him. Would definitely make sense if you can get the consistent solid Bryz. That being said hopefully it doesn't preclude them from attempting to acquire a Bernier-esque type.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Smith is half the cost right now. And he actually has the same SV% as Bryz but a worse GAA. In a defensive first system. We got Bryz and some thought it was a product of the system, and yes it partially is because of the system. Now if Smith is putting up worse numbers in the system that Bryz thrived in, what do you think it would be for us with Smith? He may be 2 or 2.5M, but that's like giving Jody Shelly 3M just to suck. We'd probably be a WAY worse team and not be better off because of it. People hate Bryz, I get that, but with some of the proposals for Smith or Nabokov is just ludicrous. It's like you would rather tank every year than spend money on a goalie. Holy ****...

Old
03-13-2013, 06:41 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Smith is half the cost right now. And he actually has the same SV% as Bryz but a worse GAA. In a defensive first system. We got Bryz and some thought it was a product of the system, and yes it partially is because of the system. Now if Smith is putting up worse numbers in the system that Bryz thrived in, what do you think it would be for us with Smith? He may be 2 or 2.5M, but that's like giving Jody Shelly 3M just to suck. We'd probably be a WAY worse team and not be better off because of it. People hate Bryz, I get that, but with some of the proposals for Smith or Nabokov is just ludicrous. It's like you would rather tank every year than spend money on a goalie. Holy ****...
Smith is worst case scenario. which is same as bryz but half the cost. Bernier would be ideal. Schnieder would also be great. If you cant get a good goalie with good value its better to spend the money elsewhere. Why pay Bryz 5.5 million when Nabokov can put up the same stats at a fraction of the cost?

Old
03-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
lol. Insta matches from their clubs. Get outta here with 5m comp...it will take 12m per for them to walk on OEL.
I should've elaborated. The reason I mentioned 2 D from each team was with the goal to get either. The UFA Ds are terrible. We'd end up paying 4m for a 2nd pairing D. And we definitely need a D even if we can't get a top pairing one.

Rundblad or Cole would be good additions to the Flyers, so if we force their teams to act on their top priorities the may have to let those guys go for a 2nd rd pick. I chose St.louis and Phoenix specifically because of how many players they need to resign and their financial situations.

The goal would be to offer the highest contract possible to OEL or Shat or Pietroangelo without having compensation include a 2nd rd pick so that we can also offer other teammates sheets.

Or does anyone know if the pick has to be in the next draft or the next 2? If its next 2 then it opens the door for the next range of compensation.

I don't think an offer sheet for four 1sts is realistic so I wouldn't suggest that.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Smith is worst case scenario. which is same as bryz but half the cost. Bernier would be ideal. Schnieder would also be great. If you cant get a good goalie with good value its better to spend the money elsewhere. Why pay Bryz 5.5 million when Nabokov can put up the same stats at a fraction of the cost?
Why go right for the worst case scenario? It also implies to word "worst". Smith is worst case. Which mean Bryz isn't the worst case scenario. Honestly, I think Nabby is more of a headcase than Bryz is. Just as wildly inconsistent, would be 35+ and is definitely getting old.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
The last thing we want is another exiled Coyotes goaltender. I don't see them parting with Smith anyways. And all the better, he isn't that good.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:23 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
I should've elaborated. The reason I mentioned 2 D from each team was with the goal to get either. The UFA Ds are terrible. We'd end up paying 4m for a 2nd pairing D. And we definitely need a D even if we can't get a top pairing one.

Rundblad or Cole would be good additions to the Flyers, so if we force their teams to act on their top priorities the may have to let those guys go for a 2nd rd pick. I chose St.louis and Phoenix specifically because of how many players they need to resign and their financial situations.

The goal would be to offer the highest contract possible to OEL or Shat or Pietroangelo without having compensation include a 2nd rd pick so that we can also offer other teammates sheets.

Or does anyone know if the pick has to be in the next draft or the next 2? If its next 2 then it opens the door for the next range of compensation.

I don't think an offer sheet for four 1sts is realistic so I wouldn't suggest that.
It's the next draft, unsigned RFAs (like subban, ror) for this year count against the 2013 draft. Summers RFAs will be 2014 draft yr.

The salary for 2nd round comp is so low they will match no matter how high the other offer to the other RFA is.

STL fans seem to think if we offered 4 1sts comp for skirk they would take, but they match lower comps (previous thread).

We won't get anyone through RFA, as much as I want it.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:25 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Okay, I'll give it another shot.

I am NOT a fan of Bryz, but unless we get Bernier - I don't want anyone else in goal, esp if it's for an unknown.
Amnesty Briere - don't give a **** about his playoff accolades, he isn't helping us GET there....
FIRE Lavi - A counter-attack style coach.

FORWARDS
Mason Raymond ($2.300m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($2.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.800m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Jose Theodore ($1.250m)

OTHER
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
Buyout: Chris Pronger ($0.000m) - he is LTIR, so we can spend if need be.
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,514,167; BONUSES: $3,012,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $8,798,333

Old
03-13-2013, 08:26 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I do believe this team (even as it is now) can be dangerous, but they don't play the proper way for the personnel they have.

I'd like to see above tho.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:41 PM
ahthorne

Here's my overhaul:

NEW COACH. NEW GM.

- Bruno Gervais (get him out of here)
- Kurtis Foster
- Michael Leighton
- Brian Boucher
- Ruslan Fedotenko
- Danny Briere (buy-out or trade, I don't care)
- Andrej Meszaros (he must have SOME trade value)

+ re-sign Gagne ($3mil max?)
+ Brian Campbell (trade... maybe they retain some cap and we take all the salary)
+ Ben Bishop (trade, nothing major but like Bobrovsky value I'd do it no question)
+ 2013 1st rounder used on a defender (Jones (if it gets that bad...)/Ristolainen/Nurse/Pulock/Zadorov)
+ 4th line C (Boyd Gordon?)
+ another top-6/top-9 forward.

---

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Read/xxx - Schenn - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Read/xxx
Rinaldo - xxx - Talbot

Campbell - Schenn
Timonen - Coburn
Grossmann - xxx

Bryzgalov
Bishop

I honestly have no idea how those trades would work out but I pick Campbell because I think he'd be the 'cheapest' option as in it wouldn't result in us having to give up Couturier/Schenn/Read/etc. If I had to give up anybody, I'd give up Matt Read. Couturier doesn't move despite his sophomore struggles. I think we can get some value for Briere, and hopefully he'll waive. Give Luke Schenn 2nd unit PP time. As weird as that sounds.

The xxx's are really just filler, and I'm sure we can find better players to use as filler than Fedotenko and Gervais.

EDIT: I don't have guys like Gustafsson, Laughton, McGinn and all those guys up here because unless they earn a spot this season I would rather be patient with them.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
It's the next draft, unsigned RFAs (like subban, ror) for this year count against the 2013 draft. Summers RFAs will be 2014 draft yr.

The salary for 2nd round comp is so low they will match no matter how high the other offer to the other RFA is.

STL fans seem to think if we offered 4 1sts comp for skirk they would take, but they match lower comps (previous thread).

We won't get anyone through RFA, as much as I want it.
Based on this year's numbers the top end for 2nd rd pick compensation is $3,364,391.

It is $5,046,585 for a 1st and 3rd.

I think if we force them to pay that for their top pairing D they will think hard about matching for their depth. Obviously the Flyers pro scouts would have to be convinced guys like Rundblad and Cole will be worth it in the long run.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:55 PM
FadeToBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott*Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude*Giroux ($3.750m) / Corey*Perry ($8.500m)
Jakub*Voracek ($4.250m) / Sean*Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne*Simmonds ($3.975m)
Matt*Read ($0.900m) / Brayden*Schenn ($3.110m) / Nathan*Horton ($4.000m)
Matt*Hendricks ($0.825m) / Maxime*Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac*Rinaldo ($0.578m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo*Timonen ($6.000m) / Nicklas*Grossmann ($3.500m)
Braydon*Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej*Meszaros ($4.000m)
Luke*Schenn ($3.600m) / Mark*Fistric ($1.475m)
Bruno*Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy*Howard ($4.500m)
Jose Theodore (1.500m)

LTIR: Chris*Pronger ($0.000m)
Buyout: Ilya*Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
Buyout: Danny*Briere ($0.000m) or trade for picks
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,962,500; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,137,500

Fire away! Tough market to please but worth a shot at an overhaul. Perry Horton and Howard are the biggest additions. Perry Horton and Hendricks adds to Philly grit motto. Fistric more toughness and young steady d. Theodore can step in if Howard needs a break similar to Vokoun in pitt.
Wheres Seth Jones?

Old
03-13-2013, 09:00 PM
SheasRebellion6

Trade Briere for 1st 2013 (Select Ryan Hartman)
Draft Darnell Nurse with Flyer's 1st rounder
Re-sign Gags for 1 year 2-3 Mil
Re-sign Rino for 3-5 yrs 1.25 Mil per
-------------------------------------
13-14 Lineup
Hartnell- Giroux- Voracek
Cousins- Schenn- Simmonds
Gagne- Couturier- Read
Rinaldo- Talbot- Mathers

Futures: Laughton, Hartman, Lipon

Coburn-Meszaros
Timonen-Schenn
Nurse-Grossmann
Gervais

Bryzgalov- Actual Backup

I would rather sign Horton over re-signing Gags, but I don't think it will happen.

Last edited by SheasRebellion6: 03-13-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old
03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
echlfreak

"re-re-revised addition Overhaul"

Buyout:
Bryz

LTIR:
Pronger

Trades:
Briere to Dallas for Robidas...Dallas loses Jagr, Morrow, Roy to UFA and need a big cap hit to hit floor

Sign:
Howard
Emery
Clarkson
Penner
Crombeen
O'Bryne

David Clarkson ($2.667m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Dustin Penner ($2.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
B.J. Crombeen ($1.000m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.578m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Ryan O'Byrne ($1.800m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.613m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.500m)
Ray Emery ($1.750m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,416,667; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $8,683,333

Still a good amount of cap space for the future. Gives a legit #1 goalie, solid #2 (token bring back a flyer player),Clarkson a white Simmonds, Penner good size and solid 3rd liner with size, Crombeen good pk and grit.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
duffy9748

Accepted the fact that we are going to miss the playoffs and am excited to see what happens in the future. Hoping for a new coach, new goalie, and a top 10 pick.

Sell the veterans for what you can at the deadline and give the young guys plenty of ice-time/power play time the rest of the year. Have Gustafsson play quality minutes to see what he can do over the course of a couple weeks.

It is clear this team needs a number 1 defenseman. The depth at center is there to make a move. It hurts to move one of Couturier/Laughton but I don't see Brayden Schenn getting moved with Luke here now. Make this move at the deadline or draft.

In Free Agency, don't make any panic moves and lock up any one long term unless it makes a lot of sense. I am a huge fan of Perry but don't think he's worth the cap hit when Giroux/Schenn/Couturier/Read need new deals. Next year is a great free agent class so Holmgren can spend then when the team is ready for a deep run. Go after Jimmy Howard or trade for Bernier.

Still very excited about the young core of this team and think they have a great chance at the playoffs next year. They are still a 2-3 years away from competing for a cup but have a better arsenal of talent than most teams around the league.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:02 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheasRebellion6 View Post
Draft Darnell Nurse with Flyer's 1st rounder
2 following trades to playoff teams:
Trade Fedotenko + Foster for 3rd 2013 (Select Lipon)
Trade Briere for 1st 2013 (Select Ryan Hartman)
Re-sign Gags for 1 year 2-3 Mil
Re-sign Rino for 3-5 yrs 1.25 Mil per
-------------------------------------
13-14 Lineup
Hartnell- Giroux- Voracek
Cousins- Schenn- Simmonds
Gagne- Couturier- Read
Rinaldo- Talbot- Mathers

Futures: Laughton, Hartman, Lipon

Coburn-Meszaros
Timonen-Schenn
Nurse-Grossmann
Gervais

Bryzgalov- Actual Backup

I would rather sign Horton over re-signing Gags, but I don't think it will happen.
That isn't happening. Feds and Foster don't have much value.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:31 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

Sign:
Howard
Emery
Clarkson
Penner
Crombeen
O'Bryne

DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.500m)
Ray Emery ($1.750m)
Clarkson @ 2.667M?

That was seriously rich. You're just a little bit low there.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:45 PM
echlfreak

damn that was suppose to be $4.75M for Clarkson...accidentally hit re-sign value...fair?

Old
03-13-2013, 09:46 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Based on this year's numbers the top end for 2nd rd pick compensation is $3,364,391.

It is $5,046,585 for a 1st and 3rd.

I think if we force them to pay that for their top pairing D they will think hard about matching for their depth. Obviously the Flyers pro scouts would have to be convinced guys like Rundblad and Cole will be worth it in the long run.
Neither club will blink at 8m-9m total for both players.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:50 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:

Buyout:
Bryz

LTIR:
Pronger

Trades:
Briere to Dallas for Robidas...Dallas loses Jagr, Morrow, Roy to UFA and need a big cap hit to hit floor

Sign:
Howard
Emery
Clarkson
Penner
Crombeen
O'Bryne

DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.500m)
Ray Emery ($1.750m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,416,667; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $8,683,333

Still a good amount of cap space for the future. Gives a legit #1 goalie, solid #2 (token bring back a flyer player),Clarkson a white Simmonds, Penner good size and solid 3rd liner with size, Crombeen good pk and grit.

I don't see Robidas in the roster but you have us trading for him. Besides, Robidas is terrible. Dallas fans hate him. He's not a great pickup. WE are not getting Clarkson, NJ wont let him go. Detroit wont let Howard go, Penner isn't that good. Crombeen sucks.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I don't see Robidas in the roster but you have us trading for him. Besides, Robidas is terrible. Dallas fans hate him. He's not a great pickup. WE are not getting Clarkson, NJ wont let him go. Detroit wont let Howard go, Penner isn't that good. Crombeen sucks.
Why would we want to do any of those moves....I fail to see how any of them helps anything.

Closed Thread