HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

NJD 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 10:08 PM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
I think larsson has more hockey iq but that might just be me.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Kensu

Erne is another one I wouldn't mind drafting.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
How does Larsson and Jones compare during their draft years?
In terms of their actual draft years, both are a little underwhelming. Seth Jones started out really slow in Portland and Larsson was playing good minutes in Skelleftea but his stats weren't really jumping out at anyone.

In terms of how they're rated as prospects, there hasn't been a d-man who's looked as promising as Jones in a long time. He simply has no weakness in his game. He's smart and rarely makes mistakes, he's an elite skater, he's an elite passer, he has ridiculously good hands and puck control for a defenseman of his size, and he has a great shot and knows when and how to use it. He could be an elite, minute-munching, shutdown guy or he could be a top offensive PP quarterback kinda guy.

He could always go the way of Jack Johnson, but his ceiling is through the proverbial roof.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
In terms of their actual draft years, both are a little underwhelming. Seth Jones started out really slow in Portland and Larsson was playing good minutes in Skelleftea but his stats weren't really jumping out at anyone.

In terms of how they're rated as prospects, there hasn't been a d-man who's looked as promising as Jones in a long time. He simply has no weakness in his game. He's smart and rarely makes mistakes, he's an elite skater, he's an elite passer, he has ridiculously good hands and puck control for a defenseman of his size, and he has a great shot and knows when and how to use it. He could be an elite, minute-munching, shutdown guy or he could be a top offensive PP quarterback kinda guy.

He could always go the way of Jack Johnson, but his ceiling is through the proverbial roof.
Myers and Hedman are similar to him in many ways. Ceiling isn`t everything is my point.

Just wanted to point that out. Continue.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Myers and Hedman are similar to him in many ways. Ceiling isn`t everything is my point.

Just wanted to point that out. Continue.
Yeah I understand that, and Erik Johnson even has a lot of similarities. But in my opinion he's simply better at everything than all of those players. Not necessarily by a lot in every category, but it's all better. No one was sure if Myers was a good enough playmaker to QB a powerplay. Hedman wasn't bad at anything but some of his talents weren't elite quality. Jones is simply excellent at everything. Not just good, but excellent.

I still probably wouldn't take him first overall (or second) just because the track record is against him, but I wouldn't think less of a team that did.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I'm still happy we have Larsson.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:27 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
Thanks. American defense is looking really solid.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm still happy we have Larsson.
I think at this point he's already quietly established himself as a legit NHL top-4 D. I really am starting to see the Lidstrom comparisons more and more. It's not just how often he makes the smart play, it's how often (and how coolly) he makes the exceptional play.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:07 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Would like to see not only more offense from him, but more agressiveness when it comes to shooting, he's pretty timid. And by timid I mean he either dumps it in or flips it passed the opposing player snd retreats for a line change. That's my only gripe but I know it'll take time. Still....

Old
03-14-2013, 12:16 AM
Elvis56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensu View Post
Erne is another one I wouldn't mind drafting.
Any chance Adam Erne will be there if we draft in the middle of the first round?

Old
03-14-2013, 01:26 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis56 View Post
Any chance Adam Erne will be there if we draft in the middle of the first round?
Deep draft, so who knows. All it takes is for a few GMs to have other players they like better. I will say though, that if Erne is available where we draft and there's no better forward available, and Lou doesn't draft him, I will be very upset

Old
03-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
Would like to see not only more offense from him, but more agressiveness when it comes to shooting, he's pretty timid. And by timid I mean he either dumps it in or flips it passed the opposing player snd retreats for a line change. That's my only gripe but I know it'll take time. Still....
Ya, that sense of knowing when to step up is always an issue for young defencemen. Still, I'd rather he be too timid than too aggressive and cost us goals against.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Devils1029

Now that we have fallen out of a playoff spot - time to think bout who we might draft if picking 12-14th.

I like Erne too and also think Nicushkin might drop ala grigorenko.

Maybe we really fail and can pick up Shinkaruk!

Old
03-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
Now that we have fallen out of a playoff spot - time to think bout who we might draft if picking 12-14th.

I like Erne too and also think Nicushkin might drop ala grigorenko.

Maybe we really fail and can pick up Shinkaruk!
Chin up, probably not the thread to read after losses. I've gotten in the weird habit of doing mock drafts as a way to get my brain on cruise control before sleeping and the standings can change pretty readily. Once we get Marty and Zubrus back, hopefully things will start getting better.

As for Nichushkin, he seems to be challenging for a spot in the top 5 now. Tampa hasn't been shy about taking Russians in recent years. Washington may be in a spot to consider Nichushkin as well. It might take a team with a GM who is on firm footing and willing to wait an extra year or two.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Mantha with 50 goals in 67 games? Huba Huba

Old
03-20-2013, 08:27 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Chin up, probably not the thread to read after losses. I've gotten in the weird habit of doing mock drafts as a way to get my brain on cruise control before sleeping and the standings can change pretty readily. Once we get Marty and Zubrus back, hopefully things will start getting better.

As for Nichushkin, he seems to be challenging for a spot in the top 5 now. Tampa hasn't been shy about taking Russians in recent years. Washington may be in a spot to consider Nichushkin as well. It might take a team with a GM who is on firm footing and willing to wait an extra year or two.
Wait, you are re-mocking every night? How many rounds are you doing? I can barely get to 2 before I figure I'm way off.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
apice3*

Guy behind me at the game last night ripped on Larsson all game. Said he was a waste of a draft pick because he only hs 1 goal in 66 games.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Wait, you are re-mocking every night? How many rounds are you doing? I can barely get to 2 before I figure I'm way off.
Usually just up to our 2nd round pick. I figure I'm way off by pick #10 anyways. It's become a weird mental exercise to clear my mind before bed.

On an unrelated note, I'll probably find out this week whether or not I can attend the draft. Cousin may be moving which means no more free lodging for me in NYC.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:55 AM
CerebralGenesis

whats your first round mock look like lately? I love looking at mocks although it is probably a little early still.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
whats your first round mock look like lately? I love looking at mocks although it is probably a little early still.
Looks a little goofy usually once my overactive imagination and/or Nyquil starts kicking in (Columbus/Montreal have a bit of ammo to trade up). I posted a midseason mock a couple pages ago and it probably doesn't look too much different. Zach Fucale is probably the hardest guy for me to place.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
CerebralGenesis

I don't know about their history but teams like Winnipeg and Chicago could make sense depending on where they are drafting from.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
I don't know about their history but teams like Winnipeg and Chicago could make sense depending on where they are drafting from.
After last night, Winnipeg is picking in the #25 spot. Winnipeg has a pair of late round goalies from 2011/12 that have had tremendous freshmen years in the NCAA. Maybe it's just a myth that became fact in my head, but I thought Scottie Bowman wasn't a big proponent on drafting goalies with high picks. Chicago, under Stan Bowman/Dale Tallon, hadn't taken a goalie with a top pick. Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff came from Chicago.

I'm not sure Fucale lasts that long. Might take a team with a GM with secure footing to know he might not get anything out of Fucale for 3+ years.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:12 PM
CerebralGenesis

I would say teams with several picks could just use one and not worry about goaltending for awhile, but i suppose a team could trade down and do it as well.

Haven't researched the guy enough yet to comment confidently.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:22 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Guy behind me at the game last night ripped on Larsson all game. Said he was a waste of a draft pick because he only hs 1 goal in 66 games.
Well, some people are just stupid. But still, you'd expect a Devils fan to recognise and appreciate good defence. I guess that's not true anymore.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

i hope we throw a late pick flyer on Mathias Niederberger, of the Barrie Colts. He's an overager, but he's doing very well on a mediocre Colts team. i've seen him play in Belleville and Peterborough a few times and came out thoroughly impressed

Closed Thread