HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Rocky Raccoon

vCash: 500
Also, I'm not sure if the TV cameras showed this but during the delayed penalty call, Bryz started skating to the bench and just completely fell face first into the ice. It was hysterical.

I wish there was a gif of it.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I have never seen another goalie do what Hasek did in 99. It's like doing what Tim Thomas did two years ago with Chara and one of the best teams in the league, only he did it with a couple good players and a bunch of AHL tweeners. Mo****a was working miracles.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:30 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I know this....thats my point....hes still a good goalie and his stats suffer bc the Sabres suck.

We have a mediocre goalie who would "look" MUCH better if we had a "Lemaire" as coach. He was NEVER that good in PHX, but he's good enough.
His stats don't suffer than much; he posted a .916 save % last year and a .914 this year, despite playing with a significantly worse defense in front of him. I would surmise that if Bryz posted a .916 last year and was at .914 this year, this thread wouldn't even exist. We'd MAYBE be on thread #2 instead of thread #9.

You Bryz fans just keep coming up with new reasons to excuse his play.

There are none. He's bad, he deserves to be bought out. End of story.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:37 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
His stats don't suffer than much; he posted a .916 save % last year and a .914 this year, despite playing with a significantly worse defense in front of him. I would surmise that if Bryz posted a .916 last year and was at .914 this year, this thread wouldn't even exist. We'd MAYBE be on thread #2 instead of thread #9.

You Bryz fans just keep coming up with new reasons to excuse his play.

There are none. He's bad, he deserves to be bought out. End of story.
I never would have signed him in the first place...to that contract.

I'm not a bryz supporter, I just don't solely blame any goalie for things out of their control.

If we had Miller, we still wouldn't be consistently winning.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:23 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I have never seen another goalie do what Hasek did in 99. It's like doing what Tim Thomas did two years ago with Chara and one of the best teams in the league, only he did it with a couple good players and a bunch of AHL tweeners. Mo****a was working miracles.
He did everything but score goals. Not that it mattered, his team pretty much needed one goal to win.

Edit: OK, I exaggerated. Make that 2 goals.

03-14-2013, 01:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
not many goalies caused me to curse like Hasek did. He won games by himself. When he was you might as well forget about winning.
There is a reason he won multiple MVPs and Vezina trophies.
Guess there wasnt many defensive breakdowns or perfect snipes that went Hasek's way tho

Old
03-14-2013, 01:49 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

If Hasek had maintained that level of play for a decade one might be able to argue he was close to Gretzky or Lemieux in greatness. But, he didn't.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:52 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If Hasek had maintained that level of play for a decade one might be able to argue he was close to Gretzky or Lemieux in greatness. But, he didn't.
I still think he's the best goalie to ever put on a set of pads. Better than Marty, Roy, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was better than any of the old timers I never got to see.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I'm willing to bet Vezina probably wasn't shabby.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:57 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
in 13 seasons starting in 93/94 he had 1 season when his GAA was over 2.27 9 seasons of a save % of .920 or higher.
I say he did and then some

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2187

Old
03-14-2013, 01:58 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
I had such hopes for Boosh. My father refused to have any hope for Bob, saying "He's just another Boucher. All our goalies are Bouchers."

So true.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post

So true.
It was depressing when I tried to object and realized it was absolutely correct. I have noticed that Boucher is especially Boucheresque.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

yeah I had high hopes for Boucher to. Got a signed goalie stick and everything back in the day at the start of the decade.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:03 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I'm willing to bet Vezina probably wasn't shabby.
Relative to his peers I'm sure he was outstanding. But drop these guys in todays game with todays pads and shooters and I think they all get lit up. The majority of the shots they saw could be stopped by reflex saves. If Tretiak played now he would get absolutely destroyed with his style (although he was the earliest goalie I've ever seen who moved with anyhting resembling the fluidity and compactness you see from today's more technically sound guys).

Old
03-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Relative to his peers I'm sure he was outstanding. But drop these guys in todays game with todays pads and shooters and I think they all get lit up. The majority of the shots they saw could be stopped by reflex saves. If Tretiak played now he would get absolutely destroyed with his style (although he was the earliest goalie I've ever seen who moved with anyhting resembling the fluidity and compactness you see from today's more technically sound guys).
Well sure, if you time travelled them from 80 years ago to now they would be lost. But if they were raised with current methods and technology, I imagine they'd do just fine.

Assuming they don't just play NHL13 all day and drink Mountain Dew until their fat has fat.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:10 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Well sure, if you time travelled them from 80 years ago to now they would be lost. But if they were raised with current methods and technology, I imagine they'd do just fine.

Assuming they don't just play NHL13 all day and drink Mountain Dew until their fat has fat.
Right, that's why I say relative to their peers, which is the only fair comparison really. It might not be fair to them to say Hasek was the best to ever do it, since there may have been someone like Sawchuck or whoever that worked as hard and was as talented as Hasek, and outplayed his peers by a similar margin. But at the end of the day, Hasek was still better when you remove them from any context and compare them in the abstract. That was really what I was getting at, just trying to qualify my statement that he was the best ever.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Right, that's why I say relative to their peers, which is the only fair comparison really. It might not be fair to them to say Hasek was the best to ever do it, since there may have been someone like Sawchuck or whoever that worked as hard and was as talented as Hasek, and outplayed his peers by a similar margin. But at the end of the day, Hasek was still better when you remove them from any context and compare them in the abstract. That was really what I was getting at, just trying to qualify my statement that he was the best ever.

I believe (If I'm remembering right) the number crunchers at the History of Hockey forum have also determined that Hasek at his best briefly dominated in way that hadn't been done before, and hasn't been done since.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:43 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I think the bad team play is dragging everyone down.
Flyers are

-15th in GF with 2.75
-5th in PP% with 23.3
-10th in PK% with 83.3
-6th in SA with 27.1
-26th in GAA with 3.07

It just doesn't get anymore obvious.
The fact that the offense has come down to more average levels and we are struggling to win games further exemplifies the fact of who was dragging down who last year as well.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Prongo
Beer

One big problem I have with Bryz is he never takes any blame for the lose. It's always "ask coach" why we are losing, or I am tired of losing. He needs to step up like every other goalie in the league and say I need to be better.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Codith

Would it kill Bryz to make one breakaway save? I have never see a goalie that bad at it, ****ing just go dive out at the skater or something. I know it isn't all his fault, but the guy can't for the life of him come up big in moments like that.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:36 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Would it kill Bryz to make one breakaway save? I have never see a goalie that bad at it, ****ing just go dive out at the skater or something. I know it isn't all his fault, but the guy can't for the life of him come up big in moments like that.
I agree with this. I do like Bryz, but at this point every breakaway I count as a goal, similar to the way every breakaway G has I count as a goal.

03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

He's horrific in anything resembling a one on one situation resulting in a scoring chance.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
LegionOfDoom91

I usually just do this when a breakaway against us occurs now a days.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

i'm sticking by everyone of these losers. bryz too. but i now officially hate them all. if that's possible

Old
03-14-2013, 12:48 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
One big problem I have with Bryz is he never takes any blame for the lose. It's always "ask coach" why we are losing, or I am tired of losing. He needs to step up like every other goalie in the league and say I need to be better.
This was from this week actually:

"All I can do is just come to the next game and try to play better," Bryzgalov said. "We have to all try to play better to win the game. That's all we can do. We can't talk hours and hours about this; that never helps."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=660059

Closed Thread