HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
So Nurse is going to be a big sell in Downtown Brooklyn because he is black (albeit very light skinned)?? haha.. I love it....... I highly doubt the Black Community is going to raise up in support of the Isles because of the new light skinned black dude on the blue line.. The same that I don't see one extra black guy in the seats at Nassau Coliseum since Okposo, nor did I did any more Asians when Richard Park was in the lineup... But it's a hopeful thought.... Maybe Seth Jones would be a better sell since his dad actually is an assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets (Popeye Jones)...
Jones would be the best possible pick for the Islanders for oh so many reasons.

He'd obviously also be very marketable in Brooklyn and the general NY City area.

Of course, we don't know if his dad will still be working with the Nets by the time this team is in the Barclay Center.

Doubt Alyonka Larionov would still be working there too, although it'd be cool having her giving the Islanders the same attention she currently gives the Nets.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Hipster Doofus

Hes also an American, Nurse is canadien. I guess you can sell the McNabb relations though. But Jones has a chance to be the best dman and best American player in the game. You can market that to anyone.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50

I want to go to this thing but can't seem to find anything about tickets anywhere.. Anyone know anything about it?

Old
03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
He'd obviously also be very marketable in Brooklyn and the general NY City area.

Of course, we don't know if his dad will still be working with the Nets by the time this team is in the Barclay Center.
Not having to score 4 goals to win games would market well. So, yeah, Seth Jones would help.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
03-06-2013, 01:31 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post

I want to go to this thing but can't seem to find anything about tickets anywhere.. Anyone know anything about it?
Too early for details like that to be released.. Wait until the regular season ends.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Halfway point. Here's what the boys are 'on pace for' in light of the 48 game schedule:

John Tavares 48 28-26-54
Matt Moulson 48 22-28-50
Brad Boyes 48 10-26-36
Michael Grabner 48 20-6-26
Mark Streit 48 8-18-26
Frans Nielsen 48 4-18-22
Colin McDonald 44 8-10-18
Kyle Okposo 48 4-14-18
Casey Cizikas 42 4-12-16
Travis Hamonic 48 4-10-14
Lubomir Visnovsky 24 2-10-12
Keith Aucoin 38 8-4-12
Andrew MacDonald 48 2-8-10
David Ullstrom 34 4-6-10
Marty Reasoner 38 0-8-8
Brian Strait 30 0-8-8
Josh Bailey 28 2-6-8
Matt Martin 48 4-2-6
Thomas Hickey 34 2-4-6
Radek Martinek 8 2-0-2
Joe Finley 30 0-2-2

Old
03-07-2013, 11:59 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
An interesting stat for this thread.
The Isles are 3 to 4 points out of the playoffs.
The Isles are 4 points away from the top entry draft pick.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:47 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Things have been a bit quiet on the draft front as we play better and make a run towards the playoffs. Because of this, I have taken a closer look at some of the guys outside of the top 8-10 picks. I really really like Max Domi. I've liked him for awhile, but I figured I could discount him because we'd be drafting 5-10....... Well, I am starting to thing this kid is going to be something special. They say he is an elite skater and very strong on the puck. Even though he is only 5'10, he weighs 195 pounds and has a very strong and low center of gravity that make him such a strong skater and very hard to knock off the puck. He has very good puck skills, is very creative and can score. He's approaching 90 points in his draft year...

I'm thinking the speed of Grabner but much stronger, harder to knock off the puck and better offensive ability. Besides top line center, I can see this kid playing anywhere on the top 3 lines. Perhaps alongside of Tavares, or even centering his own scoring line. This kid is part Cizikas, part Grabner and part, dare I say..... Tav... nevermind..... I just like the kid as a very strong option anywhere from 8-15..... He really is a versatile player that can be plugged in anywhere.. His speed/strength/skill ratio is top notch!!

Old
03-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

From the games I've watched, Domi doesn't have Grabner's straightaway speed. The best comparable I've heard, which when I think of how he plays the game, is someone like Mark Recchi.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
From the games I've watched, Domi doesn't have Grabner's straightaway speed. The best comparable I've heard, which when I think of how he plays the game, is someone like Mark Recchi.
Similar build to Recchi too, good passer, okay shot...that's pretty fair in terms of styles.

Recchi was a great NHLer though, for a long long time. Great hockey sense.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:38 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Things have been a bit quiet on the draft front as we play better and make a run towards the playoffs. Because of this, I have taken a closer look at some of the guys outside of the top 8-10 picks. I really really like Max Domi. I've liked him for awhile, but I figured I could discount him because we'd be drafting 5-10....... Well, I am starting to thing this kid is going to be something special. They say he is an elite skater and very strong on the puck. Even though he is only 5'10, he weighs 195 pounds and has a very strong and low center of gravity that make him such a strong skater and very hard to knock off the puck. He has very good puck skills, is very creative and can score. He's approaching 90 points in his draft year...

I'm thinking the speed of Grabner but much stronger, harder to knock off the puck and better offensive ability. Besides top line center, I can see this kid playing anywhere on the top 3 lines. Perhaps alongside of Tavares, or even centering his own scoring line. This kid is part Cizikas, part Grabner and part, dare I say..... Tav... nevermind..... I just like the kid as a very strong option anywhere from 8-15..... He really is a versatile player that can be plugged in anywhere.. His speed/strength/skill ratio is top notch!!
I like Domi as well, but comparing his speed to Grabner is a bit much...Grabner is arguably the fastest skater in the NHL...

Old
03-12-2013, 02:50 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
I like Domi as well, but comparing his speed to Grabner is a bit much...Grabner is arguably the fastest skater in the NHL...
Not to highjack or make this a Grabner thread, but I agree with that argument, I really do think Grabner IS the fastest player in the NHL. It's unbelievable how fast he is, it's like 1 step, and he's gone. He almost has 1 breakaway a game, and causes 1 penalty a game. Amazing skater, and also, awesome anticipation of when to go, and is great at breaking up passes at the point while killing penalties.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Been avoiding this thread (for good reason) since January, decided to take a gander.

If the Isles were 'lucky' (or cursed) enough to have the first overall pick, would one prefer a star winger to help JT or a potential franchise D man?

I'd go with the winger b/c not only would the winger bring his own individual talents/skills/production, but enhance JT's. I've always been of the belief, epsecially about the way JT plays/sees the game, that his production will be a functon of his linemates. You maximize your star franchise player by giving him an all star winger, and seemingly the only way management is going to acquire that kind of talent is through, you guessed it, the draft.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:05 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Been avoiding this thread (for good reason) since January, decided to take a gander.

If the Isles were 'lucky' (or cursed) enough to have the first overall pick, would one prefer a star winger to help JT or a potential franchise D man?

I'd go with the winger b/c not only would the winger bring his own individual talents/skills/production, but enhance JT's. I've always been of the belief, epsecially about the way JT plays/sees the game, that his production will be a functon of his linemates. You maximize your star franchise player by giving him an all star winger, and seemingly the only way management is going to acquire that kind of talent is through, you guessed it, the draft.
I feel you and that would be fine with me, BUT Seth Jones is a potential beast of epic proportions. Just like in baseball, you want to build up the middle - C, SS, and CF. We've got our franchise forward, Jones could be our franchise defenseman. We still need that long term high end goalie, but I think Jones would have the greater overall impact than Nathan MacKinnon or Drouin (he's this year's Huberdeau - rocket riser).

If the Isles pick #1, this would be the year to do it because Jones and MacKinnon (I think he projects better on RW) fit our biggest needs to a tee. We really couldn't go wrong going either way.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
OlTimeHockey

BPA.

or

draft all left wingers this year, all right wingers next year, all goalies the year after.....there are many PLANs available.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:53 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
BPA.

or

draft all left wingers this year, all right wingers next year, all goalies the year after.....there are many PLANs available.
We need a coach. It will be unprecedented, but we will be the first club to draft nothing but coaches.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:00 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
We need a coach. It will be unprecedented, but we will be the first club to draft nothing but coaches.
Do you think the Islanders could hire Lindy Ruff?

Would love to see himn on the island. About 1% chance?

Last edited by duster19: 03-13-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Addition
Old
03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
luki here

Quote:

I've been following the sabres closely over the last two years and ruff has not been a good coach over that time window. He seemed especially bad at utilising his top line, which would be disastrous for a top heavy team like the islanders. Why do you think he would be good for us? Or is it only that the grass is greener over yonder?

Old
03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I feel you and that would be fine with me, BUT Seth Jones is a potential beast of epic proportions. Just like in baseball, you want to build up the middle - C, SS, and CF. We've got our franchise forward, Jones could be our franchise defenseman. We still need that long term high end goalie, but I think Jones would have the greater overall impact than Nathan MacKinnon or Drouin (he's this year's Huberdeau - rocket riser).

If the Isles pick #1, this would be the year to do it because Jones and MacKinnon (I think he projects better on RW) fit our biggest needs to a tee. We really couldn't go wrong going either way.
I see, I haven't been following this class all that much (gets old after SIX years or whatever it has been, lol). Though I'm starting to think it's more likely NYI draft in that 3-7 range where Drouin/MacKinnon/Russian winger may still be avail.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post

They always wait until the last minute to release details. We wanted to go to Los Angeles for the draft, but they didn't release tickets to the public until 2 weeks before the draft. I wasn't going to make hotel reservations and buy a plane ticket at that point. I've been to the Boston; Sunrise, FL; Raleigh; Nashville and Columbus drafts and had a great time at all of them. I think the GM's would be fine if no fans attend. It's business for them. I do think Gary Bettman likes having us, though.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

Quote:

It is no accident all the big personalities were cut from the committee and club while Snow remained. Lindy is a big personality, so no unless he is Garth's close friend... IMO of course.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It is no accident all the big personalities were cut from the committee and club while Snow remained. Lindy is a big personality, so no unless he is Garth's close friend... IMO of course.
This..

Wang and Garth need puppets and "yes"men. That means no Neil Smith. noTeddy Nolan.No Pat LaFontain.No Ruff

Old
03-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
They always wait until the last minute to release details. We wanted to go to Los Angeles for the draft, but they didn't release tickets to the public until 2 weeks before the draft. I wasn't going to make hotel reservations and buy a plane ticket at that point. I've been to the Boston; Sunrise, FL; Raleigh; Nashville and Columbus drafts and had a great time at all of them. I think the GM's would be fine if no fans attend. It's business for them. I do think Gary Bettman likes having us, though.
Awesome thanks.. I've always wanted to go to a draft and being a short train ride away I figured this would be perfect. Any idea what the ticket prices usually run?

Old
03-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Moosie

Tickets have been free for all of the drafts I've attended. I've been able to download them from the host team's website. They are offered to the season ticket holders first. I don't think the teaams realize they could sell tickets to this thing.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
This..

Wang and Garth need puppets and "yes"men. That means no Neil Smith. noTeddy Nolan.No Pat LaFontain.No Ruff
It goes from God to Jerry to Kent to the cleaners to the draft table. Gotta respect the hierarchy. The ultimate "Emperor Has No Clothes" set up.

Closed Thread