HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Myers, ehrhoff and the defensemen

Old
03-10-2013, 11:42 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

vCash: 500
Myers, ehrhoff and the defensemen

Well I am not trying to make any excuses for Myers play. I just wonder if Christian ehrhoff and Myers are too close to playing the same role? Like having ehrhoff here is preventing Tyler from being the guy. I am a big fan of both players and have realistic expectations for Myers, I am just wondering if anyone else thinks that it could be a problem to have two players that play a similar role?

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Well I am not trying to make any excuses for Myers play. I just wonder if Christian ehrhoff and Myers are too close to playing the same role? Like having ehrhoff here is preventing Tyler from being the guy. I am a big fan of both players and have realistic expectations for Myers, I am just wondering if anyone else thinks that it could be a problem to have two players that play a similar role?
If Myers plays better he would beat Ehrhoff out of his role, but he's not. I don't see how having two guys play a similar role on a team is bad, aren't they defenseman? Keep the puck out of the net should be priority #1.

When Ottawa got Gonchar and had Karlsson up and coming, Karlsson was simply better than Gonchar and as a result flourished, Myers has not done that.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:10 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Uh no? If we could have an Ehrhoff clone on each pair I would be so happy.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Their real problem is they don't know what role they should be filling. They're all over the place, and the lack of a real gameplan has all but blown apart Myers' confidence.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:04 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Their real problem is they don't know what role they should be filling. They're all over the place, and the lack of a real gameplan has all but blown apart Myers' confidence.
This seems to be a huge problem with almost every young player on this team: no clearly defined role (or at least they haven't played like they were given one). ie: Foligno ought to be a nightmare for other teams on the forecheck and driving the net with and without the puck constantly; instead we've seen him try to dance around with the puck like he's Ennis most nights.

And, of course, our team D in general is terribly disorganized, which makes everyone look worse than they should. I think Myers has showed some positive signs in the last several games. He's 23 and still by far the most talented young d-man we have/have had in a while, and I think some fans are being too hard on him.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
This seems to be a huge problem with almost every young player on this team: no clearly defined role (or at least they haven't played like they were given one). ie: Foligno ought to be a nightmare for other teams on the forecheck and driving the net with and without the puck constantly; instead we've seen him try to dance around with the puck like he's Ennis most nights.

And, of course, our team D in general is terribly disorganized, which makes everyone look worse than they should. I think Myers has showed some positive signs in the last several games. He's 23 and still by far the most talented young d-man we have/have had in a while, and I think some fans are being too hard on him.
The best way to solve that problem.....

Hire a good coach.

I think the Sabres have been miscasting players for a long time, putting them in roles they are/were not comfortable in. That's on Ruff mostly, but also Darcy.

It always comes back to getting players that fit your beloved "system"...or changing your system to play to your roster's strengths..

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:42 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
The best way to solve that problem.....

Hire a good coach.

I think the Sabres have been miscasting players for a long time, putting them in roles they are/were not comfortable in. That's on Ruff mostly, but also Darcy.

It always comes back to getting players that fit your beloved "system"...or changing your system to play to your roster's strengths..
What strengths?

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:09 AM
OcAirlines

Myers has been dragging down pretty much everyone he played with so far this season, so... I don't think Ehrhoff or anyone else is hindering Myers development, Tyler Myers is hindering Tyler Myers development (and probably the coaches as well).
Ehrhoff has been pretty mediocre to bad as of late and iirc this started almost precisely when he was paired with Myers. Until then he was by far our best Defenseman, now he is just as average as everyone else on our Blueline because his pairing is always hemmed in the defensive zone and he has to cover up for Myers giving up the puck all the time.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
Myers has been dragging down pretty much everyone he played with so far this season, so... I don't think Ehrhoff or anyone else is hindering Myers development, Tyler Myers is hindering Tyler Myers development (and probably the coaches as well).
Ehrhoff has been pretty mediocre to bad as of late and iirc this started almost precisely when he was paired with Myers. Until then he was by far our best Defenseman, now he is just as average as everyone else on our Blueline because his pairing is always hemmed in the defensive zone and he has to cover up for Myers giving up the puck all the time.
You are spot on about TM. People who know about hockey can see that way to much was expected of him and he just can not meet those expectation due to not having the talent of a top tier player. What you see is what you get.

As for the coaching, it is glaring that the coaching is not the problem here as much as the selection or signing of the players. Ruff was and still is a good coach but had zilch to work with. The team is to small, to soft and lacking depth. Without Vanek and Miller this team would be worse off, oh wait you can not get lower than last now can you?

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Rolston seems to be trying to get Myers moving in the right direction by pairing him with Ehrhoff. If Myers continues to improve -- some glimmers there lately -- perhaps he splits them back up to let both free-wheel on their own pairings. It's far more disheartening to see the short-arming on backchecks, the times guys blow the zone early or just flat out make stupid puck decisions than what is going on with the blueline.

03-11-2013, 12:17 PM
TheHoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
So true...

TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:23 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

I agree with a lot of what everyone is saying here. Myers is stopping himself from excelling. He is just downright bad this year and playing just ugly stupid hockey. One of the things that's just killing me. I mean. Killing. Me. Is the fact that Myers is such a pansy. Ennis shows more fight and grit than Myers for half the size. I am tired of watching this behemoth back down from every altercation and just hug an opponent until the scary pushing and shoving ends. Someone needs to toughen this kid up... er...maybe after he re-learns how to play hockey.....

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:53 PM
OcAirlines

Any chance this can be merged with the "Fixing Team defense"-thread?

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:55 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Is it just me or has Myers played worse since Regehr came on to the team? Not saying there is a direct cause or effect but his gone from being 'need improvement, has potential' to '******* dangerous' since Regehr's been about. Just started thinking about it and wondered if anyone else could notice similar patterns.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Is it just me or has Myers played worse since Regehr came on to the team? Not saying there is a direct cause or effect but his gone from being 'need improvement, has potential' to '******* dangerous' since Regehr's been about. Just started thinking about it and wondered if anyone else could notice similar patterns.
Are you saying Myers=Phaneuf?:sarcasm

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
you mean since Tallinder left

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
QFT. So many of us on here (myself included) underestimated the effect Tallinder had on Myers' Calder year.

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:09 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I don't know, that sophmore year was a disappointment but I can't put his entire decline down to Tallinder. Meh, who knows. I still believe!

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote