HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ted, what is the matter with you?

Old
03-14-2013, 07:16 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
TXPD's idea of blowing it up sets the Caps back 10 years. A proper retooling can be done with a return to a playoff contender status much less painlessly than he's suggesting..
did you read this before you posted it? retooling and blowing it up are two different things. completely. this is why one is called rebuild and the other retool. this is why i ask seriously why anyone would want to blow it up????

sell off chimera and crabb? sure. sell off ribeiro?? no so much. if you want to retool you want to resign him because getting a replacement next season or the one after that is good as he is will be very difficult.

so far as mcphee building a sc contender. he did. they didnt win, but they were legit.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:02 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
did you read this before you posted it? retooling and blowing it up are two different things. completely. this is why one is called rebuild and the other retool. this is why i ask seriously why anyone would want to blow it up????

sell off chimera and crabb? sure. sell off ribeiro?? no so much. if you want to retool you want to resign him because getting a replacement next season or the one after that is good as he is will be very difficult.

so far as mcphee building a sc contender. he did. they didnt win, but they were legit.
So the defense is fine? No veteran goaltender needed? If retooling, then we need to assess 5-6 players, not 2. Schultz, Crabb, MP/Mojo, Fehr (resign?), Green (glass house), Neuvy, to name some.

If legit is all we are asking for, then I must be rooting for the wrong team, pretender and contender are 2 different words and "legit" is a highly over used word on this board.

This team is second to last, 2 players will not make it legit.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:13 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
The team that featured Morrisonnnn and Jurcina as a top pairing and Jose Theodore as our starting goaltender? Or the one with a washed up Brendan Morrison as our #2c and a defense so shallow that Mike Green averaged 5 more minutes/game than the next guy?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:24 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The team that featured Morrisonnnn and Jurcina as a top pairing and Jose Theodore as our starting goaltender? Or the one with a washed up Brendan Morrison as our #2c and a defense so shallow that Mike Green averaged 5 more minutes/game than the next guy?
Comon now. The Caps were a DOMINANT team that year. Despite those warts you mentioned they were so strong in many other areas that it covered up for it.

It took a legendary goaltending performance to get them out of the playoffs. Again I've never seen a 7 game playoff series more lobsided than that and to imagine the Caps came out on the short end. Thats not on McPhee. Give credit to Halak and the turtling Habs.

To the other point...I think we are currently rebuilding and we should continue to do so. NO way we should trade Ovechkin. We need to put the right pieces around him and the rest of the core.

I don't think GMGM is the guy to do it. Its better late than never but it is time he has to go.

To what another poster said...Ted and GMGM been through alot together. I would not want to be Ted making the decision to keep or get rid of him.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:28 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Comon now. The Caps were a DOMINANT team that year. Despite those warts you mentioned they were so strong in many other areas that it covered up for it.

It took a legendary goaltending performance to get them out of the playoffs. Again I've never seen a 7 game playoff series more lobsided than that and to imagine the Caps came out on the short end. Thats not on McPhee. Give credit to Halak and the turtling Habs.
It's impressive how aggressively you've missed the point. Which is that we had a handful of dominant players that Mcphee didn't even try to build around.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:34 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
It's impressive how aggressively you've missed the point. Which is that we had a handful of dominant players that Mcphee didn't even try to build around.
I think we were a very deep team that year scoring wise. But there is also a salary cap and in this new cap world every team is going to be incomplete at some level or there are things they are weak at comparatively.

I agree that we didn't have the perfect pieces but we did have great pieces and we were a dominant team that would have steamrolled pretty much everyone in our path had we solved Halak.

Our team in 92 was quite dominant too (Bowman even said so after they beat us and it was COMMON knowledge the no one could have stopped us that year had we gotten past the Pens) and we fell out in the 1st round. I didn't blame Poile for that at the time. Not ALWAYS the GMs fault. Sometimes you can do a almost everything perfectly and still get denied.

But that 09-10 was just 1 year. There is PLENTY to blame McPhee for outside of that I agree.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:20 PM
HockeyEh

Quote:
you seem to want to say that danny is a good owner because he is willing to make so many mistakes and destroy the golden goose. you seem therefore to conclude that ted only wants to make money and the proof is his lack of willingness to do stupid things.

reminder. jagr. the trade. jagr the extension. jagr the i hate washington thing. robert lang the ufa for jagr. the jagr v konowalchuk/kolzig locker room disaster. the one series of playoffs out of the entire mess. oh and yea...not doing well in the marketplace rode hand in hand with all that fail.

now....it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that ted wanted to win. did you forget about all that? too young to remember?? ted said lets get jagr. mcphee and patrick said dont do that. ted said we need to win now. do it. now...ted has learned from those terrible mistakes and has adjusted. and because he is not willing to go all in on more jagresque plays you think he is just in it for the money.

while doing what followed the jagr disaster was a team that got good. filled the building. had a legit shot at the cup for several consecutive years.

i cant say i am a big ted fan. but this idea that he is a horrible owner is ridiculous.

reminder. abe pollin. the pre nashville preditors. wanted to do well enough to keep the team afloat. spent the minimum on the team.
Umm, ...

Under Abe Pollin, the Capitals reached the Stanley Cup Finals.

Under Ted Leonsis, the Capitals have never even reached the Eastern Conference Championship round.

HockeyEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:22 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyEh View Post
Umm, ...

Under Ted Leonsis, the Capitals have never even reached the Eastern Conference Championship round.
Ted sells hope. Just make the playoffs, and anything can happen! It's the perfect marketing strategy to get people to stop focusing on all the playoff chokejobs. It's like telling the gambling addict to just keep pulling the lever, you can't hit the jackpot if you don't play!!

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyEh View Post
Umm, ...

You have a good point here.

Also under Abe (as bad as he was) we made the ECF in 90 as well.

The Finals run was kinda fluky and for once WE had the hot goalie.

I think the key is that David Poile knows how to build a team even under working at a comparative disadvantage budget wise.

George McPhee does not. Never has proven it and never will. The 98 team was Poile's team not George's.

The Caps made the playoffs some 16 years in a row. Then they had a season (or several under Schoenfeld) that they were besieged by injuries and failed to make the playoffs. Poile fired.

GMGM has had nowhere near the success but the guy is like the terminator of GMs. He never stops coming back.

That is one thing that Abe holds way over Ted. He had the ability to make those kinds of tough decisions. Ted cowers when confronted by them.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You suggested trading Ovechkin and Backstrom. That foolish plan sets the franchise back 10 years. Trading Ribiero doesn't. Building a winning team is hard yes. Starting from scratch instead of starting with an Ovechkin and Backstrom, much much harder.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 03-14-2013 at 10:59 PM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Atlas

The scales have fallen from my eyes. I can see that Ted is the exact wrong man to be running the Capitals. It's like he's not even trying.

Biscotti, the Ravens owner, is an exceptionally good owner. He is serious about it—he has helped to build and maintain an excellent team culture. Ozzie is a top GM. It seems like when they lose good coaches and coordinators, they have guys behind them who do just as well or better. The Ravens expect to win.

Angelos was a rotten owner for a long time, I thought Ted was much better than him but now I think Ted is actually worse. Maybe Angelos' kids are making the calls now, I don't know, but this Duquette guy and Showalter are building a good team. The culture at Camden Yards has improved a great deal since Duquette came in. It's amazing, really. I'm not saying they're going to win the World Series this year but they are improving and they are fun to watch.

The Caps are languishing. That's bad enough—but to sit and watch Ted smile and do nothing, oblivious to the mediocrity of this team is maddening.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
When you put it like that, i feel even more for waisted years of OV...

Also, i hate ****ing Pittsburgh... and now with Iginla there... **** i hate them.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:37 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
you seem to want to say that danny is a good owner because he is willing to make so many mistakes and destroy the golden goose. you seem therefore to conclude that ted only wants to make money and the proof is his lack of willingness to do stupid things.
Danny isn't afraid to change things around though. He fired Marty for crying out loud. He got rid of Vinny because Marty wanted to do so. He finally fired Vinny. He tried everything. He hired a blowhard. He hired the fancy college coach. He got the revered DC coach. He hired, what he though, was an up and coming "young" coach. At least the guy tried to do something.

With Ted, I don't see that. I don't see him doing anything. He's going to leave McPhee as the GM for the foreseeable future. He doesn't have the balls Danny has. Look at the Wizards. He fuggin' gave Ernie a god damn extension. Probably the worst GM in the league. Ted is gutless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I think the key is that David Poile knows how to build a team even under working at a comparative disadvantage budget wise.
Absolutely no doubt about that. Poile is heads and tails above McPhee. I'd give my left nut to have him back with the Caps.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:05 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

What has Poile exactly done?

To give you an idea, Ovechkin has more points than every draft pick combined from 2004+ by Poile.

Same goes for Backstrom in regards to 2006+.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Atlas

Can we trade George, Green and plus fiddy to Nashville for Poile?

Ted will spend money, I give him credit for that. Poile might could do it w/ money to spend. He was hog tied by Abe. (Stevens, Selanne). Ugh.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:17 AM
sillygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Angelos was a rotten owner for a long time, I thought Ted was much better than him but now I think Ted is actually worse. Maybe Angelos' kids are making the calls now, I don't know, but this Duquette guy and Showalter are building a good team. The culture at Camden Yards has improved a great deal since Duquette came in. It's amazing, really. I'm not saying they're going to win the World Series this year but they are improving and they are fun to watch.

The Caps are languishing. That's bad enough—but to sit and watch Ted smile and do nothing, oblivious to the mediocrity of this team is maddening.
Just for the record, you probably said the same thing about the Caps 3 years ago and sang the praises of GMGM and Ted. Just because you are fair weather and jump ship the second Ovechkin stops carrying the team the way the best player in the world should doesn't mean GMGM isn't doing his job well. They probably won't win the cup this year, but they are still in a great position to win the cup after Kuz comes over. They could potentially have a top 6 of Ovechkin Backstrom Ribeiro Forsberg Kuz and one of liach/brouwer/wilson. That is obviously assuming Ribeiro signs, we'll have to wait and see. Holtby will still be a RFA by then, Carlson is still signed, Alzner we'll have to see though no reason to believe he won't be signed. Green we'll see, but depending on how things go I don't think anyone would mind him gone, Orlov will stay around. It's obvious the plan was to win the cup the year previous, same as the Olympics, look at the contracts, Green ends then, as does Ward(who was obviously overpaid for, but was brought in for playoff hopes only, and it worked last year). Also look at Ovechkins comments about Kuz, he knows it too. Kuz is already one of the best players in the world, it's not a question of if his game will translate, it will, he's great. He's was going to good year 1 no matter when he came over, just like Backstrom, now he's going to be a man ready to be a star on the cheapest deal possible.

Ovechkin Backstrom Kuz
Forsberg Ribeiro Wilson
Johanson Liach Brouwer

Alzner Carlson
Orlov Green
Oleksy(though it's still early to say anything about him, and I really don't pay much attention, I just see he hits hard, me likey).

Holtby

There is light at the end of the tunnel, you guys are just staring at the ground panicking, it's cute. That's the roster in 2015, assuming Green and Johansson resign, though for Green's money I wouldn't mind exploring other players depending on how is career go's, his injuries are a problem though. The problem isn't the GM, it's the greedy fans who are the worst bandwagon fans in sports.

Just a reminder, Steve Yzerman was 32 when he won his first cup, Alex Ovechkin will be 30 for the 2015/16 season. . .

GMGM isn't chasing the cup every year, because he's playing the cards he was dealt, and he was dealt royal flush, just wait.

Last edited by sillygoose: 03-29-2013 at 12:30 AM.
sillygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
What has Poile exactly done?

To give you an idea, Ovechkin has more points than every draft pick combined from 2004+ by Poile.

Same goes for Backstrom in regards to 2006+.
Poile invented the piano key necktie.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Halpysback

Yeah Poile really ****ed up his post 2004 lottery picks

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:52 AM
bacchist

Best reason to keep GMGM is that a lot of people that want the Caps to tank want to see him fired.

bacchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchist View Post
Best reason to keep GMGM is that a lot of people that want the Caps to tank want to see him fired.
It's a strange beast in this situation, if the Caps do a sell-off McPhee is admitting failure. However, if they miss the playoffs or end up at the bottom of the East without selling off assets he looks even worse.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:57 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Poile has drafted three (possibly four with Josi) franchise players in Nashville. None of them in the lottery and only one in the first round. Yeah, his drafting sucks.

On that note, hire Paul Fenton.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
Just for the record, you probably said the same thing about the Caps 3 years ago and sang the praises of GMGM and Ted. Just because you are fair weather and jump ship the second Ovechkin stops carrying the team the way the best player in the world should doesn't mean GMGM isn't doing his job well.

If, one day, you want facts:

I have wanted George gone since the Montreal fiasco.

On fair weather,

If fair weather fans know about:

Curtis Leschyshyn
Reggie Savage
Jeff Greenlaw
The Druce is Loose
Sergei Berezin
Jeff Brown
Pat Peake moving TVs
Clint Malarchuck's neck
Dale Hunter elbowing Gord Murphy
Juneau for Tezikov
Denis Maruk
John Kordic

then I'm a fair weather fan.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:29 PM
sillygoose

Quote:
If, one day, you want facts:

I have wanted George gone since the Montreal fiasco.

On fair weather,

If fair weather fans know about:

Curtis Leschyshyn
Reggie Savage
Jeff Greenlaw
The Druce is Loose
Sergei Berezin
Jeff Brown
Pat Peake moving TVs
Clint Malarchuck's neck
Dale Hunter elbowing Gord Murphy
Juneau for Tezikov
Denis Maruk
John Kordic

then I'm a fair weather fan.
Pardon me, fair weather wasn't the proper term, but it's what I use to describe fans of Washington DC teams. I'm not really sure how to put it in words, so I'll just call you out on your ignorance.
Quote:

Ovechkin Ribeiro(or whoever Tyler Sloan would be a ppg cetering this line) Kuz
Forsberg Backstrom Johansson
Wilson Laich Brouwer
Ward Beagle Anyone

Alzner Carlson
Orlov Green
5 6
Oleksy Erskine

That is the Caps roster in 2 years assuming Alzner and Johansson sign longer than 1 year deals. Do you really think the Orioles are in a better position to win in the future then GM has done for the Capitals? Yes I would loved for the Caps to win a cup 4 years ago or whenever too, but to pretend like they have no future is retarded. It's no wonder you only quoted the part where I called you out, is it because you're that narcissistic or you just can't refute the fact that GMGM is playing the cards he was dealt, in an appropriate manner.

Typical DC fan, the second trouble happens fire someone/cut someone. See the Redskins thread before they started winning or just any thread in the Caps section to be honest for other references.

You guys can continue to cry about GMGM is terrible, but if anyone is willing to put 1000 dollars on the Caps not winning the cup in the next 5 years, I'm more then willing to take up as many offers as there are regular fans that post on here. If 1g is too much any price is fine, GMGM has built a dynasty, you fools are just too "fair-weather" to see it. I do enjoying loling at you guys staring at the ground though.

You guys wonder why GMGM has a job still, the same reason no one will respond to this post, lol.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Atlas

Narcissistic, now you're getting closer—but still wrong.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:40 PM
sillygoose

Quote:
Narcissistic, now you're getting closer—but still wrong.
Exactly, still no response to the point of the post.

Reminder Ovechkin will be 30 in 2014-2015, Steve Yzerman was 32 when he won his first cup.