HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
03-13-2013, 02:37 PM
newfr4u

vCash: 500
has anyone used the mako? what's the difference between M2 and M5 and the top of the line?

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Need advice again! I joined my buddies in a roller hockey league, and just playing outside on smooth concrete, and inside on sportcourt about 10 times my Miken Z9(thanks again Jarick) blade has started to crack on the bottom. I'm trying to find a similarly priced stick, $100-130, that is durable enough or can primarily be used to play rollerhockey.

I'll start by saying I know next to nothing about durability, feel, etc. and my thoughts, as I have been browsing the prostock and clearance sticks have been between a pro stock A.I9, pro stock CCM U+ Crazy Light, or a Bauer totalone that just happens to be in my preferred flex. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, you guys have been very helpful before! I play defense, I don't take many slapshots(they're not allowed in my league), but do take many snapshots, or half windup slapshots(about thigh high on the back swing) that seemed to have doomed my Z9 rather quickly on the hard surfaces.

Last edited by Sean Garrity: 03-13-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 03:33 PM
AIREAYE

Forget the pro stocks, heck, forget the OPS. Opt for a two piece instead where you have the option to replace blades once they wear out. You'll hear the same thing over and over again if you browse through the thread.

I would go CCM Crossover for durability, but if you prefer a lighter combo, opt for composite blades.

As for the Mako, I could list all of the different features for you, but to be practical, as you move down, you get a heavier and less responsive stick, but slightly more durable, especially the M5.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:26 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

I've been in here before looking but I went with Base because of the customizability and mid-level price. Today I just got notice that my Savoy Special is in the mail, so I'm pretty excited. My only negative is I don't live close enough to a store to avoid shipping costs.

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:36 AM
TieClark

True story.... A Bauer one20 took 3 solid baseball swings against a cement wall to break last year.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
True story.... A Bauer one20 took 3 solid baseball swings against a cement wall to break last year.
Maybe you need to swing harder

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:32 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Forget the pro stocks, heck, forget the OPS. Opt for a two piece instead where you have the option to replace blades once they wear out. You'll hear the same thing over and over again if you browse through the thread.

I would go CCM Crossover for durability, but if you prefer a lighter combo, opt for composite blades.

As for the Mako, I could list all of the different features for you, but to be practical, as you move down, you get a heavier and less responsive stick, but slightly more durable, especially the M5.
Thank you for the advice.

I decided to splurge(thanks tax return!), and went with an INT 77 flex Bauer Supreme NXG (about 1/2 an inch short for me) with a Supreme NXG blade(P2). Got out there tonight, absolutely love the stick. Feels a bit blade heavy, but not even close to being unbearable, although I might try a lighter blade on the next go around(I don't know if there is a lighter one). Puckhandling and passing was amazing, shot was a bit wobbly at times , but I think that is more on the user than the stick.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:28 AM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Need advice again! I joined my buddies in a roller hockey league, and just playing outside on smooth concrete, and inside on sportcourt about 10 times my Miken Z9(thanks again Jarick) blade has started to crack on the bottom. I'm trying to find a similarly priced stick, $100-130, that is durable enough or can primarily be used to play rollerhockey.

I'll start by saying I know next to nothing about durability, feel, etc. and my thoughts, as I have been browsing the prostock and clearance sticks have been between a pro stock A.I9, pro stock CCM U+ Crazy Light, or a Bauer totalone that just happens to be in my preferred flex. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, you guys have been very helpful before! I play defense, I don't take many slapshots(they're not allowed in my league), but do take many snapshots, or half windup slapshots(about thigh high on the back swing) that seemed to have doomed my Z9 rather quickly on the hard surfaces.
Since the summer, I've been using Reebok 2k and 3k blades for roller hockey, and find them really enjoyable. I probably use my 3k stick more often than my 2k, nice composite stick with an abs blade for a really good price. Its pretty durable too, I usually play 1-2 times a week since the summer, and I'm only on my second 3k stick.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:24 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Thank you for the advice.

I decided to splurge(thanks tax return!), and went with an INT 77 flex Bauer Supreme NXG (about 1/2 an inch short for me) with a Supreme NXG blade(P2). Got out there tonight, absolutely love the stick. Feels a bit blade heavy, but not even close to being unbearable, although I might try a lighter blade on the next go around(I don't know if there is a lighter one). Puckhandling and passing was amazing, shot was a bit wobbly at times , but I think that is more on the user than the stick.
Hope it lasts for you man. I would never ever recommend buying something like that lol.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:23 PM
JaeTM

Can someone explain the differences between the CCM RBZ and the lower model RBZ60?

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
Since the summer, I've been using Reebok 2k and 3k blades for roller hockey, and find them really enjoyable. I probably use my 3k stick more often than my 2k, nice composite stick with an abs blade for a really good price. Its pretty durable too, I usually play 1-2 times a week since the summer, and I'm only on my second 3k stick.
I used to use the 3K stick and had a setup with a 6k shaft and 2k blade. I always felt the blade was flimsy on my 2 piece setup, if that makes sense.

Quote:
Hope it lasts for you man. I would never ever recommend buying something like that lol.
Me too. Not too worried either way, the way I looked at is that I was spending "free money". Thanks again for your advice.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:37 PM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:
I used to use the 3K stick and had a setup with a 6k shaft and 2k blade. I always felt the blade was flimsy on my 2 piece setup, if that makes sense.
No, I hear you. I use my 3k stick, but my backup is a Easton EQ10 shaft which I cut off the blade and put a 2k blade on it. It was a bit flimsy and had to wrap some tape around it, but that seemed to do the trick. I like the way it feels and its real durable.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:49 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
No, I hear you. I use my 3k stick, but my backup is a Easton EQ10 shaft which I cut off the blade and put a 2k blade on it. It was a bit flimsy and had to wrap some tape around it, but that seemed to do the trick. I like the way it feels and its real durable.
I bought my 6K when it was the top of the line and loved that shaft. Unfortunately, it broke hence my post about the recent Miken I bought, and went through in a month, and the now Bauer I got. After my 6K, I've become a snob about sticks/shafts/blades etc. so I decided to go with a top flight shaft again. I play my first game, which is on sportcourt as opposed to smooth concrete which I frequent, tomorrow. Needless to say, I've planned the parade for my "free" T-shirt already.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:37 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
Can someone explain the differences between the CCM RBZ and the lower model RBZ60?
Weight, quality and feel essentially like every other top of the line vs mid ranged model sticks that every brand has. The RBZ60 is going to feel heavier, is made with lesser materials (not to be confused with less durable) and the feel of the puck isn't going to feel as natural.. less like the stick is a part of your body and more like you're holding a hard object to hit the puck around with

Old
03-17-2013, 12:35 PM
JaeTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Weight, quality and feel essentially like every other top of the line vs mid ranged model sticks that every brand has. The RBZ60 is going to feel heavier, is made with lesser materials (not to be confused with less durable) and the feel of the puck isn't going to feel as natural.. less like the stick is a part of your body and more like you're holding a hard object to hit the puck around with
Alright thanks. I've played hockey my whole life, and have played competitively for about 10 years now and now I'm in a simple beer league that has games 1 night a week. I've never had a top end stick so I don't really know the differences. My next stick though, I either want to get the RBZ or the APX. Would it be acceptable to get the lower model or is it worth it to shell out the extra 100+ for the top model?

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:50 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
Alright thanks. I've played hockey my whole life, and have played competitively for about 10 years now and now I'm in a simple beer league that has games 1 night a week. I've never had a top end stick so I don't really know the differences. My next stick though, I either want to get the RBZ or the APX. Would it be acceptable to get the lower model or is it worth it to shell out the extra 100+ for the top model?
More than acceptable to get the lower end models... they're still great sticks. While I use a top of the line model, I didn't pay for it. Unless dropping $300 on a hockey stick is no big deal for you I'd definitely go for the mid ranged, $100 ones like the RBZ60 or the Bauer X60 rather than the top of the line ones.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:54 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
If you want to work on wrist strength, Olympic lifting, handstands and ring work will do wonders!

Try out a P92 (Bauer) or Hall (Easton) curve with a 75 or 87 flex. I find the curve is good for learning stick handling and is a good all around curve. I think the curve is called Draper in Warrior? Not sure about CCM. Make sure you cut it down between your bottom lip and chin!
Quote:
Kopitar now in Warrior, used to be Draper. Nugent-Hopkins in CCM, Crosby in Reebok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How long have you been playing? Are there any hockey shops around you? Do they carry replacement stick blades?

I'd be inclined to recommend getting a shaft with a couple different blades, but if you want a high end stick the Diablo is a good one. Otherwise I'd recommend tapered Warrior Dolomite shaft and a few Easton wood blades for the same price, you could try out some different curves that way.

If it's more than $25, skip it. Heavy, bad feel, just not a good stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
I hope someone helps you, though from the sounds of it try for a 75, 80 flex at most. You can even get away with 85 but I'm of the philosophy that you should start off at a flex that will do the work for you and from there you can get a stiffer flex if you decide it torques too much on your wristers/slaps.

I liked the RBZ in the limited time I got to shoot it, I liked it alot actually, and I have a feeling the RBZ60 will be good. Wood sticks get water-logged and wear out easy, so if I had to I'd suggest getting a 75, and an 85 flex stick. The price difference will be neglible when the wood stick breaks/loses it's pop on you and you're ordering sticks again.

EDIT: May I suggest reconsidering your Tavares curve? (I hope the others weigh in on this, everyone's opinion will vary) According to hockeymonkey it is a 6 lie and that might not be enjoyable for you. Youtube stick lies if you need help understanding them. The Lecavalier looked similar and is a 5.5 lie, I liked the Couturier but not everyone likes a shallow blade. Hossa looks very similar to Tavares and is a 5 lie, anyone know how similar the Hossa is to the Tavares for our friend here?

Cheers.
Thanks for all the replies and help.

Stuff arrived today. Ended up getting a CCM crossover, warrior dolomite shaft and some blades (draper, zetterberg). now to try it all out

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:56 AM
God
Free Citizen

Picked up a Warrior Bandito shaft for 25 bucks. Leaning towards putting on ABS blades for ball hockey. Any drawbacks/limitations to that?

Last edited by God: 03-18-2013 at 04:05 AM.
God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:43 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Picked up a Warrior Bandito shaft for 25 bucks. Leaning towards putting on ABS blades for ball hockey. Any drawbacks/limitations to that?
The best blades I've found so far for ball/roller hockey are the RBK 2k ABS blades. They're more than stiff enough for ball hockey, very light compared to most ABS blades, and take very well to changing the curve with a heat gun if you so desire. And they wear very well without flaring at the bottom like some Easton ABS blades that I've tried.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:10 PM
17of26

So I've got a good understanding of the various stick characteristics : flex, lie, curve, kickpoint.

What I don't understand is what exactly you're getting with the more expensive sticks. Are they lighter? More durable? Better performing?

I'm a relatively casual rec league player (C to D level, 1-3 hours/week) so I can't see spending $150+ on a stick that could break at any time. I've noticed that some common price points are ~$60, ~$90, ~$120. What's the difference between the sticks in these ranges?

17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Thesensation19

Any thoughts on the CCM RBZ 60 stick. the $119.00 stick, not the top of the line.

I am looking for a good stick under $130. But I heard that this stick after only a few adult league games it started to chip away on the blade. What do you think?

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:57 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Any thoughts on the CCM RBZ 60 stick. the $119.00 stick, not the top of the line.

I am looking for a good stick under $130. But I heard that this stick after only a few adult league games it started to chip away on the blade. What do you think?
I don't know why you always do this... post in one thread.

It also helps if you do a search beforehand as well.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17of26 View Post
So I've got a good understanding of the various stick characteristics : flex, lie, curve, kickpoint.

What I don't understand is what exactly you're getting with the more expensive sticks. Are they lighter? More durable? Better performing?

I'm a relatively casual rec league player (C to D level, 1-3 hours/week) so I can't see spending $150+ on a stick that could break at any time. I've noticed that some common price points are ~$60, ~$90, ~$120. What's the difference between the sticks in these ranges?
From the OP:

The cheapest composite sticks have a high fiberglass to graphite ratio, which gives high durability to slashes but poor performance. They bend and return to shape slowly, which takes speed off the shot, and often will have poor feel for the puck. They also tend to be very heavy, sometimes as heavy as a wood stick. The only advantage they have over wood is increased durability, but the higher price, poor puck feel, and lack of performance means I would not recommend them for any player.

High-end composite sticks are made exclusively of graphite, which is lighter and snaps back to shape quicker than fiberglass. These are the sticks of choice for most elite players due to their light weight and quick release. While these sticks have excellent performance, they are very susceptible to breakage, and often manufacturers will add layers of Kevlar to the shaft to prolong their life.

In addition to these ends of the spectrum, there are a number of sticks to hit various price points between them. Generally, the more expensive the stick, the more graphite and less fiberglass, resulting in lighter weight and higher performance. But even the best of these price point sticks can vary quite a bit from the highest end sticks due to construction differences.

In short, expensive sticks are lighter, better balanced, have better puck feel, and have better "kick" to them, but might be less durable. $110-150 is the sweet spot for performance to price IMO

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post

Check the last page or two, someone asked about the same stick. I think the chipping is just the paint.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:53 PM
17of26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
In short, expensive sticks are lighter, better balanced, have better puck feel, and have better "kick" to them, but might be less durable. $110-150 is the sweet spot for performance to price IMO
Thanks, I think that's the answer I was looking for.

17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote