HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Game #28| Mar. 13, 2013| Flyers at Devils | 7:30 p.m. ET

Old
03-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Akanon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCanuck View Post
Just came here to post this. Was confused seeing Hartnell getting that secondary assist.
Any chance that they'll change it? I mean, it was pretty damn obvious that it belongs to Giroux...

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:26 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He's been really ****ing good at age 37. He's got 19 points in 26 games. You bet he'd get the same extension now...you bananas or what man?

I don't follow your post. Are you suggesting he couldn't be traded as a rental because he re-upped for another year? I don't want him traded anyway if they're going to try to win next season. And if they're not, they diminished his value by resigning him how?
I agree with dookie on this. Holmgren signed Timonen very early in a season that already had signs of going south to a deal that cap-unfriendly $6 million. Yes, I think that it definitely reduces his potential trade value.

As for his play, I am very thankful we have Timonen on the Flyers; he remains a very good defenseman at 37, but he is showing signs of overall decline.

Of course, the whole trading potential of Timonen may be moot if he told Holmgren that he would not waive his NTC. As a matter of fact, I suspect that this may have been an impetus for the resigning. But it seems pathological of Holmgren to make moves that limit his options, and that in itself is poor management.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:30 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
We've now lost four out of five. The loses have also been in embarrassing fashion to arguably our four biggest rivals in the conference. Yeah, it's that bad.

I also came up with a description for this year's team (well, any team under Lavy actually). They're like a gambler that goes in on every hand. Lavy's constant attack forces these guys to make constant quick decisions that can either be all good, or all bad. That's part of the reason why we see some horrendous turnovers. It's not a bad system to run when you have an overwhelming plethora of talent like the 2010 team had, but this team is just too you to be playing that aggressively. They need a coach that runs a system that makes it relatively easy for every player to fit into a role, especially the young guys still learning the NHL level.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:40 AM
AaronTrieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
We've now lost four out of five. The loses have also been in embarrassing fashion to arguably our four biggest rivals in the conference. Yeah, it's that bad.

I also came up with a description for this year's team (well, any team under Lavy actually). They're like a gambler that goes in on every hand. Lavy's constant attack forces these guys to make constant quick decisions that can either be all good, or all bad. That's part of the reason why we see some horrendous turnovers. It's not a bad system to run when you have an overwhelming plethora of talent like the 2010 team had, but this team is just too you to be playing that aggressively. They need a coach that runs a system that makes it relatively easy for every player to fit into a role, especially the young guys still learning the NHL level.
Pretty much look at Jakes stats. Dudes points exploded from the system but the team still loses

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:46 AM
MrHockey1982

I was at the game last night. I am so angry and embarrassed to be a loyal fan of this team right now. Spending all kinds of money and investing my time in a team that is a joke. I am still going to watch games and cheer for the Flyers forever but there is no way that this current team is making the playoffs. A big trade or coaching change is needed NOW!!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:04 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
Pretty much look at Jakes stats. Dudes points exploded from the system but the team still loses
Not really. Jake's stats have exploded for two reasons.

One: The powerplay has been dominant since he started breaking out. Him, Giroux, Timonen, and Simmonds have gotten back to where they were at the end of last year with that unit.

Two: He plays with Giroux. The other teams are constantly looking at Giroux, so he's getting a ton of open ice to work with.

He's getting his points because he's a good player, and not because Lavy lets him skate by without playing defense. Look, I wouldn't mind if his numbers took a dip for them to be more successful under another coach, but don't discount Jake's point totals just because the team has a horrible record and a coach who's lost.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:08 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post

Very much agree. Lavi's system is high risk, high reward. It's hard to play and mistakes quickly turn into scoring chances going the other way. And the team simply does not now have the kind of defensemen it needs to play that way.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:19 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Very much agree. Lavi's system is high risk, high reward. It's hard to play and mistakes quickly turn into scoring chances going the other way. And the team simply does not now have the kind of defensemen it needs to play that way.
That's all it's been lately.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Devils fan here...do you guys really not have someone better than Bruno Gervais and Kurtis Foster in Adirondack? I always liked what I saw of Guftasson.

But man, Gervais and Foster are brutal.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:28 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Devils fan here...do you guys really not have someone better than Bruno Gervais and Kurtis Foster in Adirondack? I always liked what I saw of Guftasson.

But man, Gervais and Foster are brutal.
The braniacs decided to send Gus down to play Foster

One of a 100 dumb decisions they have made.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:21 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He's been really ****ing good at age 37. He's got 19 points in 26 games. You bet he'd get the same extension now...you bananas or what man?

I don't follow your post. Are you suggesting he couldn't be traded as a rental because he re-upped for another year? I don't want him traded anyway if they're going to try to win next season. And if they're not, they diminished his value by resigning him how?
Timonen has not been good.
Not in his standards and not in $6m/year-standards.
I don't care about his points, he's getting outskated and outmuscled defensively and at times has been horrible with the puck.
And yes, the way things are going right now, I would've traded Timonen at the TDL.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote