HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Breaking: NHLPA agrees to realignment for next season

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 10:39 AM
EvilElf63

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
just fyi (and everyone elses) sportsclubstats, a site that tracks playoff chances throughout the season, has incorporated the new alignment for those who might be interested in exactly what you posted.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/2012-...align/NHL.html
Wow. There are a lot of data on the screen but it seems pretty interesting. Poor Florida.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
I hope it is only for one season
With the Phoenix situation it might not even make it to the first season.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Wait, sorry. Every WC team complained about the playoff structure? I'm not talking about travel in the regular season, I know that's a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post
Okay. Let's get this out here, and I'm sorry to quote everyone...

Unbeknownst to most, there is a financial problem with the playoffs. However that problem really appears in the current Western Conference:

As the current structure allows for the three division winners to take the top three seeds, there is no predictability for television, and thus payouts on a television contract.

In 2009-10 and again in 2010-11, Detroit had to play Phoenix and San Jose in the first two rounds. It screws up the local and the national television contracts. Better scheduling leads to better payouts.

The problem is with television. Completely. And then that also spills over into the regular season with the realignment; this should help the Central Time Zone teams, and not do too much to the Eastern and the new Pacific Division teams.
13th, this is what I was referring to. WC teams didn't like that they were likely to play teams two time zones away in the first or second round. Not only does it screw with TV scheduling, as mentioned by Grudy, but there is an inherent disadvantage to having to travel so much in the first 3 rounds compared to EC teams. It hasn't really affected the outcomes of the SCFs. Or has it? The Ducks lost in 7 games to the Devils in 2003 after playing opponents 3, 2 and 2 time zones away. Who knows but that with a lighter travel schedule, they're able to outlast the Devils in the Finals. The Devils had a relatively heavy schedule for a team from the NY area in the playoffs, but it still wasn't anywhere near the level of the Ducks.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:34 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Probably Toronto. I get there are a lot of New Yorkers in Florida but how many are avid hockey/Ranger fans?

I think either way you win. There's enough fans in either division to help with the gates down there. To me it's mostly a wash. I'm guessing the other east division just didn't want them. Playing them on the NE was probably a concession to the Atlantic owners to go along with the proposal.
Finally, someone who gets the likely logistics of it. Yes, there will be some benefits to the Florida teams of being in that new Central Division group, but there would be just as equal benefits to being with the Atlantic Division group, without the extra miles, the border issues, and the awkward appearing Flyover Division. Almost certainly, as you say, it was a concession to get the Atlantic to go along with all of this. The Atlantic was the Division that most wanted to keep the current alignment and scheduling and not change things up.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:40 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEezyE22 View Post
Makes it pretty obvious that there are 2 expansion teams somewhere in the pipeline.
Hmmm, wonder where they are?

Last year's proposed realignment had everyone and their dog thinking Quebec City and Toronto2, with Toronto2 strangely going into the Atlantic Division.

Now I've heard speculation of Seattle and Houston/Toronto2, with Toronto2 going in the Midwest. LOL... people will speculate anything to fit into their image of things can give it reason.

Often there is no bloody reason, or the reason or explanation is an afterthought in order to try to give some justification.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:46 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
The other thing to consider is that the west teams now are more evenly matched up with the east teams in terms of getting players to sign with them. You can exchange the travel distances in the west with the chance to make the playoffs.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:48 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
13th, this is what I was referring to. WC teams didn't like that they were likely to play teams two time zones away in the first or second round. Not only does it screw with TV scheduling, as mentioned by Grudy, but there is an inherent disadvantage to having to travel so much in the first 3 rounds compared to EC teams. It hasn't really affected the outcomes of the SCFs. Or has it? The Ducks lost in 7 games to the Devils in 2003 after playing opponents 3, 2 and 2 time zones away. Who knows but that with a lighter travel schedule, they're able to outlast the Devils in the Finals. The Devils had a relatively heavy schedule for a team from the NY area in the playoffs, but it still wasn't anywhere near the level of the Ducks.
Good point and I agree with what you are saying. But isn't this more of a geographical problem than a problem with structure? There's so few teams in the same time zone as say, Phoenix. EST has the vast majority of people in this country, so generally things are catered to them. It is the way it goes.

What are you going to do if Phoenix makes the playoffs and the 3 other teams in their time zone don't? Make one of them qualify anyway for easy travel and scheduling? Meanwhile, half the league is in one time zone.

Given the NHL's track record with alienating fans through consistently changing the game, when they make changes every 10 years that go against what every other successful professional league does, something seems a little off -- doesn't it? NO other league does this. The NBA has almost an identical playoff schedule as the NHL does now. How come they aren't changing? Or MLB, or NFL. Trailblazing is something the NHL shouldn't be doing in my opinion.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:27 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

So when are the BOG voting so we can get this over with?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:40 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
So when are the BOG voting so we can get this over with?
Get what over with? If you are hoping they will vote this down, you are mistaken. Why would the owners vote down a plan they, themselves, came up with?

Old
03-10-2013, 06:09 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Get what over with? If you are hoping they will vote this down, you are mistaken. Why would the owners vote down a plan they, themselves, came up with?
Not to say that it's not going to get passed by the owners, but if all it is is a formality then why hasn't it just been announced already that the owners have approved the alignment and scheduling matrix and all is a go for next Season? What's the hold up?

Last edited by MoreOrr: 03-10-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old
03-10-2013, 06:18 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Not to say that it's not going to get passed by the owners, but if all it is is a formality then why hasn't it just been announced already that the owners have approved the alignment and scheduling matrix and all is a go for next Season? What's the old up?
Isn't Bettman in Russia for Olympic negotiations?

Old
03-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Not to say that it's not going to get passed by the owners, but if all it is is a formality then why hasn't it just been announced already that the owners have approved the alignment and scheduling matrix and all is a go for next Season? What's the old up?
Don't know. Perhaps they have to schedule a meeting to vote on it. Not really familiar with how the BOG works. Do they have scheduled meetings? Do they use conference calls?

Old
03-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Good point and I agree with what you are saying. But isn't this more of a geographical problem than a problem with structure? There's so few teams in the same time zone as say, Phoenix. EST has the vast majority of people in this country, so generally things are catered to them. It is the way it goes.

What are you going to do if Phoenix makes the playoffs and the 3 other teams in their time zone don't? Make one of them qualify anyway for easy travel and scheduling? Meanwhile, half the league is in one time zone.

Given the NHL's track record with alienating fans through consistently changing the game, when they make changes every 10 years that go against what every other successful professional league does, something seems a little off -- doesn't it? NO other league does this. The NBA has almost an identical playoff schedule as the NHL does now. How come they aren't changing? Or MLB, or NFL. Trailblazing is something the NHL shouldn't be doing in my opinion.
The last point I disagree with. Trailblazing is something the NHL continually does and revenues have often increased. MLB has changed their ways quite a lot, by the way.

As for the PHX example, I think it's more a case of not playing teams 2 time zones away. One isn't a particularly big deal. Games can start at 6:30 local or 8:00 local, depending on direction, and it isn't a problem for TV viewership. It is a geographical issue and that's why there isn't a perfect solution.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Rocko604

As a Bruins fan out West, I will miss having more games against Montreal and Toronto, but I'm quite happy I can see them play in Vancouver every year.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:56 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I mean get over with as in so we can 100% confirm it, teams can talk more about it..MAKE IT OFFICIAL.

No newspaper in europe has written about it. Players and coaches saying "BOG still haven't voted so it's hard for me to say blabla"

Old
03-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 141
Columbus Blue Jackets going to the east

bump bump with some big news

Quote:
Told #NHL realignment plan has been approved, will be announced within next couple hours. #CBJ will join Eastern Conference next season.
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...13332398579712

Gotta assume Winnipeg goes west.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:09 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
bump bump with some big news

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...13332398579712

Gotta assume Winnipeg goes west.
The plan is already known. Portzie is just mentioning columbus because he's a columbus beat writer. The NHL bog is basically just finalizing the plan the NHL presented and the players agreed to last week, which was a mere formality.

Closed Thread