HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drew Shore's offensive upside and ideal role

Old
03-11-2013, 10:01 PM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
If we were to get Mac or Drouin, Id pair them with Bjugstad. All of a sudden, we have the makings of two first lines:

Mac/Drouin - Bjugstad - ______
Mueller - Shore - Huberdeau

For years, we've had one 2nd line, two 3rd lines, and a 4th line, now with the chance of getting a top pick in this summers draft, we really could be a nightmare for teams down the road. Does Shore belong in that top six, some might think not, but that remains to be seen, but his two-way game is going to allow a lot of offensive chances for Huberdeau and Mueller. Shore wont put up monster numbers, unless his linemates go lamb, but no way would I say that he isnt 2nd line center material, yet.
If you're talking next season, Bjugstad isn't ready for #1 center role. He may be in the AHL next season depending on how he does at camp. This season he's been okay, I expected more to be honest.

And Hubs would be playing with MacKinnon if we were lucky enough to get him, imo. Mueller gets moved to another line.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Drouin won't be in the NHL next season either, in all likelihood. Maybe not even for two seasons.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:44 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
If you're talking next season, Bjugstad isn't ready for #1 center role. He may be in the AHL next season depending on how he does at camp. This season he's been okay, I expected more to be honest.

And Hubs would be playing with MacKinnon if we were lucky enough to get him, imo. Mueller gets moved to another line.
Huberdeau -Mac -Mueller?

Not a line you would throw out in the defensive zone though

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:10 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Huberdeau -Mac -Mueller?

Not a line you would throw out in the defensive zone though
With his speed, I think Mac plays wing at the NHL level.

Hubs - Bozak - Mac

Old
03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Drouin won't be in the NHL next season either, in all likelihood. Maybe not even for two seasons.
What are your thoughts on Barkov v Drouin? Barkov to me could be like a smaller Sean Couterier (still has size at 6' 2"). The team that drafts him will get a player who makes an immediate impact. I guess the question marks is his skating. I like that he's got weight already at over 200 pounds and he's younger than most.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Holy Jokinen

Shore to me is basically Ryan Callahan. He plays the same style of game. If he's just getting used to the speed of the game, then he could quite possibly put up similar numbers to him. On the other hand, if he's not as offensively gifted, then i think without a doubt he's a third line center on a good team. Strong defensively, but can set up some plays for some secondary scoring.

The kid has some heart, and if he throws the body around a bit, he could really be a grinding force that other teams will absolutely hate to play against.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:21 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
What are your thoughts on Barkov v Drouin? Barkov to me could be like a smaller Sean Couterier (still has size at 6' 2"). The team that drafts him will get a player who makes an immediate impact. I guess the question marks is his skating. I like that he's got weight already at over 200 pounds and he's younger than most.
It's a tough toss-up. I'm starting to prefer Barkov over Drouin. I watched some recent footage of Barkov and he seems to have really improved his skating the last few months. He looked quick and had decent speed. I view him as a guy who has no weaknesses and should be at least a good 2nd line center. He's grittier than Couturier and better offensively. I think he could play next season. I think Barkov is 6'3". He could end up being huge, maybe 6-4"-5" and 225-230lbs.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:27 AM
PanthersAllDay1225
MORDE-KULI

Quote:
It's a tough toss-up. I'm starting to prefer Barkov over Drouin. I watched some recent footage of Barkov and he seems to have really improved his skating the last few months. He looked quick and had decent speed. I view him as a guy who has no weaknesses and should be at least a good 2nd line center. He's grittier than Couturier and better offensively. I think he could play next season. I think Barkov is 6'3". He could end up being huge, maybe 6-4"-5" and 225-230lbs.
Couldn't agree more, you really can not go wrong drafting a big skilled center. We have enough project prospects, in my opinion, rather go with someone who's almost guaranteed to make an impact sooner rather than later.

PanthersAllDay1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:47 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
This could be the power forward we need in our top 6. I think as long as we continue to suck we're going to get a very nice player at the draft. I think I take Barkov over Drouin.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:56 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
This could be the power forward we need in our top 6. I think as long as we continue to suck we're going to get a very nice player at the draft. I think I take Barkov over Drouin.
Id go Barkov too. Aside from Bjugstad, our projected top six is lacking a bit of size. Having two guys centering our top two lines with size is also something we have never had before. Bjugstad at 6-6/7 and Barkov at 6-4/5 would be tough against the opposition. BUT...if Mac is available when we pick, I would have a real real hard time passing him up, just because of his offensive ability. Having him and Huberdeau together would be just disgusting! I wouldnt want to be in Tallon's shoes if he, Barkov, and Drouin were all still available.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:11 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Id go Barkov too. Aside from Bjugstad, our projected top six is lacking a bit of size. Having two guys centering our top two lines with size is also something we have never had before. Bjugstad at 6-6/7 and Barkov at 6-4/5 would be tough against the opposition. BUT...if Mac is available when we pick, I would have a real real hard time passing him up, just because of his offensive ability. Having him and Huberdeau together would be just disgusting! I wouldnt want to be in Tallon's shoes if he, Barkov, and Drouin were all still available.
I think the height on Barkov is a little high. At 6' 2" 220+ at 18/19 he's going to be a bull. Yeah, we don't pass on Mac, no chance. Not with Hubs on the opposite wing setting him up.

I think Barkov could be a Landeskog type player but at center. I think Drouin is tempting but we're so soft as it is.

I'm not sure we have a #1 center in Bjugstad but if we get Barkov, we're going to have some quality depth and size down the middle.
Bjugstad, Shore, Barkov, and Matthias are very nice.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:13 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersAllDay1225 View Post
Couldn't agree more, you really can not go wrong drafting a big skilled center. We have enough project prospects, in my opinion, rather go with someone who's almost guaranteed to make an impact sooner rather than later.
I agree. Unless it's Mac or maybe Jones, we don't need any project prospects. Let's get a guy who can make an immediate impact and will be great defensively.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:30 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Shore to me is basically Ryan Callahan. He plays the same style of game. If he's just getting used to the speed of the game, then he could quite possibly put up similar numbers to him. On the other hand, if he's not as offensively gifted, then i think without a doubt he's a third line center on a good team. Strong defensively, but can set up some plays for some secondary scoring.

The kid has some heart, and if he throws the body around a bit, he could really be a grinding force that other teams will absolutely hate to play against.
He is definitely an emotional player. You can see how mad he gets when he can't finish and how excited he does when he or someone else does. I definitely believe he cares and works his butt off every shift.

I can see the Ryan Callahan comparison to a degree but I'm not sure he has that natural grittiness, win at all costs mentality, which separates a player like Callahan from most. I also think Callahan is more of a finisher than Shore. But a decent comparison nonetheless.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
If we get a top 4 pick, we're going to get a spectacular prospect. And the way it's looking right now, the chances are mighty good we'll get a top 4 pick.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
He is definitely an emotional player. You can see how mad he gets when he can't finish and how excited he does when he or someone else does. I definitely believe he cares and works his butt off every shift.

I can see the Ryan Callahan comparison to a degree but I'm not sure he has that natural grittiness, win at all costs mentality, which separates a player like Callahan from most. I also think Callahan is more of a finisher than Shore. But a decent comparison nonetheless.
I think we'll find out relatively soon if he has anything close to the upside of Callahan. Looking at Cally's stat line, he put up 13pts in his first 52 games (pretty much his first full stint in the NHL. I'm ignoring his first 14 games the year before). The following season, he put up 40pts in 81 games, and that's pretty much been his average ever since.

Shore is on pace to actually put up better numbers than Callahan's first year, and in less games i might add, but i'm pretty sure he wasn't playing with the equivalent talent of Huby and Mueller. But yeah, i find this guy a very interesting player. I really wanna see where he ends up, talent-wise.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
If anyone thinks Shore is this team's future 2nd line center, we are in for a world of hurt.

This is a classic case of forcing and expecting a player to play above his level and fill a role that he's not intended to fill (ala Weiss for the last decade).

Shore is a 3rd line center. Too good to be 4th, not good enough to be 2nd. He wouldn't be a 2nd line center on any other NHL team, not a single one. The fact that some of you are penciling him in that role for our future is a little alarming.

The guy is a GREAT hockey player. I love what he does on the ice, but he's not a 2nd line center. He doesn't greatly improve the players around him, his finish is basically non-existent, and his overall offensive game isn't anything to shout about.

Call a spade a spade. He will fill in decently in the 2nd line if injuries occur, but he is nowhere near a permanent solution.

We tried this format for 10 years, it doesn't work. Let players play where their skill sets best fit. Shore is a perfect 3rd line center on this squad. Let him cement that role and wear a Panthers sweater for years to come.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:18 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
If anyone thinks Shore is this team's future 2nd line center, we are in for a world of hurt.

This is a classic case of forcing and expecting a player to play above his level and fill a role that he's not intended to fill (ala Weiss for the last decade).

Shore is a 3rd line center. Too good to be 4th, not good enough to be 2nd. He wouldn't be a 2nd line center on any other NHL team, not a single one. The fact that some of you are penciling him in that role for our future is a little alarming.

The guy is a GREAT hockey player. I love what he does on the ice, but he's not a 2nd line center. He doesn't greatly improve the players around him, his finish is basically non-existent, and his overall offensive game isn't anything to shout about.

Call a spade a spade. He will fill in decently in the 2nd line if injuries occur, but he is nowhere near a permanent solution.

We tried this format for 10 years, it doesn't work. Let players play where their skill sets best fit. Shore is a perfect 3rd line center on this squad. Let him cement that role and wear a Panthers sweater for years to come.
You're really selling him short if you think he can't develop into a second line center. There's nothing to suggest he can't be a legitimate second line center. He's been facing the best players on the other team for the majority of his games as a rookie and he's done well. He's going to get better, he hasn't topped out. Imagine if he was playing being the Versteeg, Weiss, Flash line from last season? He'd probably have a couple more goals and a few more assists. He's done an admirable job on a terrible team.

He does improve the players around him. He's a playmaker. He wins faceoffs, can grind the puck in the corners, carry it up ice, make nice passes, etc. His shooting % will increase and he's going to get more breaks around the net. To simply declare a third line center after less than 30 games at the pro level is silly.

I think Hubs's rookie year has skewed your perspective

Old
03-14-2013, 02:35 PM
ShootIt

Quote:

Well obviously a rookie like Shore wouldn't be a 2nd line center for any other team, right now. Dude should probably still be in the AHL if it wasn't for injuries.

So, you can tell, right now, that he can't be a 2nd line center based off this years play? Guess he can't improve his shooting/finish at all in the upcoming seasons/offseasons, right?

I'm not betting on him being a top 6 guy, but, for you to be so adamant about his future being capped as a 3rd line center, is laughable.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

I guess I might be selling him a bit short, but I don't mean to. I love the way he plays and what kind of game he brings to the table, I think my issue is more based around full roster expectations from this team.

Shore probably could develop to a viable 2nd line center. He is still young so I should retract what I'm saying in regards to being so sure he'll be a 3rd line center, but I see the type of game he plays with his faceoff ability and great defense along with some offensive ability, it just screams ideal 3rd line center for me.

Patrice Bergeron was Boston's 3rd line center in their cup run. He's a great player but he's an amazing 3rd line center. I hope for a deep team in a few years. It's not that I don't want Shore to be our 2nd line center, I just feel we could get a more offensive guy for a top 6 role and have Shore rip it up on the 3rd line. That's how great teams operate, with depth and skill on all lines.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:11 PM
SeasonTicket

Quote:
I guess I might be selling him a bit short, but I don't mean to. I love the way he plays and what kind of game he brings to the table, I think my issue is more based around full roster expectations from this team.

Shore probably could develop to a viable 2nd line center. He is still young so I should retract what I'm saying in regards to being so sure he'll be a 3rd line center, but I see the type of game he plays with his faceoff ability and great defense along with some offensive ability, it just screams ideal 3rd line center for me.

Patrice Bergeron was Boston's 3rd line center in their cup run. He's a great player but he's an amazing 3rd line center. I hope for a deep team in a few years. It's not that I don't want Shore to be our 2nd line center, I just feel we could get a more offensive guy for a top 6 role and have Shore rip it up on the 3rd line. That's how great teams operate, with depth and skill on all lines.
I agree with you 100%. If you mention third line center on here everyone gets upset but what I envision going forward is a stronger team and I think 3rd line center is a perfect fit for Shore on a stronger team.

We are dead last right now. If we continue to use 2nd line players as 1st line players and 3rd line guys as 2nd line guys we will always be in the position we are in.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:18 PM
RainingRats

Quote:

Patrice Bergeron isn't a third line center. If he was on the third line(I don't remember) that just speaks to the quality of centers on a team that won a STANLEY CUP.

Thinking he can put up 40-50 points and do all the things you say he can do is a second line center on almost every team.

With a full roster and not having to face the opposing team's best players like he is now means he should put up better numbers.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:19 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
I agree with you 100%. If you mention third line center on here everyone gets upset but what I envision going forward is a stronger team and I think 3rd line center is a perfect fit for Shore on a stronger team.

We are dead last right now. If we continue to use 2nd line players as 1st line players and 3rd line guys as 2nd line guys we will always be in the position we are in.
Our last place position has nothing to do with assessing shore's talent except for believing he will do even better on a non-terrible team because he wont have to face the opposing team's best players. Where he gets penciled in the lineup also doesn't affect assessing his talent.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:53 PM
SeasonTicket

Just curious RainingRats, do you watch the games live in person or on TV.

Last edited by SeasonTicket: 03-14-2013 at 03:58 PM.
SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
Just curious RainingRats, do you what the games live in person or on TV.
TV, I don't live in florida

Old
03-14-2013, 04:06 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Patrice Bergeron isn't a third line center. If he was on the third line(I don't remember) that just speaks to the quality of centers on a team that won a STANLEY CUP.

Thinking he can put up 40-50 points and do all the things you say he can do is a second line center on almost every team.

With a full roster and not having to face the opposing team's best players like he is now means he should put up better numbers.
So......we're NOT trying to win a cup?

Mike Richards was LA's 2nd line center. Will Shore ever be at his level? We need to strive for a better team, not simply count on all our players exceeding expectations.