HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Man Behind Romney's 47% Video Comes Forward

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
  #1
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,833
vCash: 500
Man Behind Romney's 47% Video Comes Forward



Turns out he was a bartender at the event.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:09 PM
  #2
Kadri43
Registered User
 
Kadri43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: noneofyourbusiness
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post


Turns out he was a bartender at the event.
Good for him. That is great that he released that video. The Romney behind closed doors was much different than the one portrayed in the media which is not all that surprising. I personally liked the one behind closed doors and felt like he gained a lot of independent support by this video but alienated more in the center in the process.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:17 PM
  #3
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,111
vCash: 500
This election was probably one of the nastiest display of "class warfare" I've seen in years. But it was more of a case of the republicans bashing on the common workers. "Making them pay" for Obamacare. The ******** post-election thread was rather frightening.


It's rather surprising that Romney and his crew forgot that.. you know, the people serving you are humans part of the people you bring down; not robots who willfully ignore everything you say within earshot.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
  #4
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,833
vCash: 500
The part of the interview which I found most telling of Romney's nature was when Mr. Prouty discussed how the service was doing a fine job yet when Romney first entered the room (where he was the guest of honor, not the organizer or owner) he attempted to hustle the wait staff saying something to the effect of "C'mon, let's get this food out quicker to these people."

That's classic. I love being in a situation where some impudent nitwit will walk in and try to boss people around as if his own company is having issues when, in fact, his company is already more than content with the situation. That type of posturing is indicative of willful ignorance of the reality in front of you simply to make an impression that you have taken charge, leaders for dummies 101.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:33 PM
  #5
Nightslyr
Registered User
 
Nightslyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
This election was probably one of the nastiest display of "class warfare" I've seen in years. But it was more of a case of the republicans bashing on the common workers. "Making them pay" for Obamacare. The ******** post-election thread was rather frightening.


It's rather surprising that Romney and his crew forgot that.. you know, the people serving you are humans part of the people you bring down; not robots who willfully ignore everything you say within earshot.
I'm still absolutely amazed at how tone deaf Romney was during the entire campaign. You can't try to be the champion of the common man by claiming that 47% of them act like victims and demand entitlements because they're lazy. It just doesn't work that way.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:27 PM
  #6
Kadri43
Registered User
 
Kadri43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: noneofyourbusiness
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
I'm still absolutely amazed at how tone deaf Romney was during the entire campaign. You can't try to be the champion of the common man by claiming that 47% of them act like victims and demand entitlements because they're lazy. It just doesn't work that way.
I do not know if I am right or not but who cares about the 47 % if u know that those people will not vote for Romney anyway. The democrats better support their political views and will naturally vote democrat. If he was not such a d-bag he would have gotten a lot of libertarians with a comment like that.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:40 PM
  #7
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
The part of the interview which I found most telling of Romney's nature was when Mr. Prouty discussed how the service was doing a fine job yet when Romney first entered the room (where he was the guest of honor, not the organizer or owner) he attempted to hustle the wait staff saying something to the effect of "C'mon, let's get this food out quicker to these people."

That's classic. I love being in a situation where some impudent nitwit will walk in and try to boss people around as if his own company is having issues when, in fact, his company is already more than content with the situation. That type of posturing is indicative of willful ignorance of the reality in front of you simply to make an impression that you have taken charge, leaders for dummies 101.
Mitt Rmoney is basically Judge Smails from Caddyshack.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:40 PM
  #8
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 111,137
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post


Turns out he was a bartender at the event.
Honestly if I was his employer I would fire him

No reason for a bartender to be taping an event he is working

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:48 PM
  #9
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Honestly if I was his employer I would fire him

No reason for a bartender to be taping an event he is working
Yeah, that's the real story here.....

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:51 PM
  #10
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,219
vCash: 500
1) Fire guy for taping Rmoney
2) Blame Obama
3) Profit

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
  #11
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Honestly if I was his employer I would fire him

No reason for a bartender to be taping an event he is working
Way to sidetrack the significance of the situation.

After all, "Freedom" is the ability of the oligarchs to do as they please whilst continuing to obtain larger shares of the world's wealth. Romney works hard, not that lazy unsuccessful wait staff. And, oh the fantastic opportunities that can be had taking advantage of a land where the populous has so little control over their lives and thoughts that they clamor to enslave themselves for a pittance. Those lazy 18 year girls will never amount to anything, bwahaha.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:58 PM
  #12
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,693
vCash: 500
IIRC the Republicans want to get rid of overtime pay as well.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:02 PM
  #13
Kadri43
Registered User
 
Kadri43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: noneofyourbusiness
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Honestly if I was his employer I would fire him

No reason for a bartender to be taping an event he is working
I am not agreeing with you on this one. Although I pretty much agreed with Romney (which I rarely do) it was extremely important for that video to get out to the media and by so doing, to the people.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:11 PM
  #14
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,219
vCash: 500
See, what you really gotta do if you want to tape people saying stuff they don't want to get out is get a sugar daddy like Zombie Breitbart or Drudge to fund your entire lifestyle. Then you don't have to worry about slaving away as a lowly bartender or waiter or some other service job. Plus, when you get sued for slander and libel, you can pay the fine directly from whatever right-wing PAC is fleecing marks this week. Also, get a lot of good editing equipment. That's key.

Oh and call yourself a "conservative watchdog", because people eat the **** up for some reason.

But editing equipment....yup. Key.


GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:43 PM
  #15
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American
 
Ilkka Sinisalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perth, W.A.
Country: Australia
Posts: 10,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
I do not know if I am right or not but who cares about the 47 % if u know that those people will not vote for Romney anyway. The democrats better support their political views and will naturally vote democrat. If he was not such a d-bag he would have gotten a lot of libertarians with a comment like that.
Well then a lot of libertarians are morons, because his comment reflected a complete lack of understanding about the U.S. tax code and who exactly is included in that 47% of Americans.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:48 PM
  #16
Kadri43
Registered User
 
Kadri43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: noneofyourbusiness
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
Well then a lot of libertarians are morons, because his comment reflected a complete lack of understanding about the U.S. tax code and who exactly is included in that 47% of Americans.
Ok fair enough. I just heard somewhere about that comment being music to the hear of independents and libertarians. Personally, I have 0 knowledge of the US tax code.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
  #17
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
Ok fair enough. I just heard somewhere about that comment being music to the hear of independents and libertarians. Personally, I have 0 knowledge of the US tax code.
Let's just say that most of the people that heard that as music to the ears aren't smart enough to realize they are part of the 47% he was talking about.

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:13 PM
  #18
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American
 
Ilkka Sinisalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perth, W.A.
Country: Australia
Posts: 10,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
Ok fair enough. I just heard somewhere about that comment being music to the hear of independents and libertarians. Personally, I have 0 knowledge of the US tax code.
well the figure he was citing basically refers to the fact that just under half of Americans aren't paying federal income tax. The problem with this is that people hear this and think that people aren't paying taxes on their income. In reality, the vast majority of working people are paying payroll (social security, medicare, unemployment) taxes and those who aren't are mostly making less than $20,000 for a full time job; i.e., minimum wage. The people who paid payroll taxes but no income tax actually, on average, pay a higher tax rate on their income than Mitt Romney does. So if those people are moochers, then he is too.

Once you filter out the people who aren't paying income tax because they have no income (elderly people, who generally paid income tax before they retired), disabled people, and people who are paying payroll taxes, you're only left with like 6% of Americans. Who, as I mentioned, are hardly in a position to be paying a higher tax rate.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:04 AM
  #19
RoryDelap
Sketch!
 
RoryDelap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stoke-on-Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,595
vCash: 500
This guys voice sounds exactly like Bret Hart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Honestly if I was his employer I would fire him

No reason for a bartender to be taping an event he is working
That's what you took away from this story?

Not that Romney openly said he doesn't give a **** about almost half of Americans, but that the bartender shouldn't have recorded such an important moment?

Seems quite trivial.


Last edited by RoryDelap: 03-23-2013 at 01:10 AM.
RoryDelap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:53 AM
  #20
Kadri43
Registered User
 
Kadri43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: noneofyourbusiness
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
well the figure he was citing basically refers to the fact that just under half of Americans aren't paying federal income tax. The problem with this is that people hear this and think that people aren't paying taxes on their income. In reality, the vast majority of working people are paying payroll (social security, medicare, unemployment) taxes and those who aren't are mostly making less than $20,000 for a full time job; i.e., minimum wage. The people who paid payroll taxes but no income tax actually, on average, pay a higher tax rate on their income than Mitt Romney does. So if those people are moochers, then he is too.

Once you filter out the people who aren't paying income tax because they have no income (elderly people, who generally paid income tax before they retired), disabled people, and people who are paying payroll taxes, you're only left with like 6% of Americans. Who, as I mentioned, are hardly in a position to be paying a higher tax rate.
I am fairly anti tax to begin with but this seems hardly fair in my opinion. I never knew that people who make more money may actually pay less percentage wise on their income taxes. In my opinion, everyone should have to pay the same percentage of income tax. I am glad you educated me on this important information as my opinion on Romney has soured even further.

I really dislike the idea of the government taxing individuals who are financially successfully at a higher income tax rate. However, only for those individuals who made it themselves. There is nothing at all special about inheriting wealth or a successful business. I like Marx's idea in the Communist Manifesto about the abolition of inheritance. Obviously I do not 100% support the abolition of all inheritance in all circumstances but I think the idea is a great one. There are extremely rich families out there that live life styles that we cannot even begin to imagine. To make matters worse, it has been going on for generations.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:50 AM
  #21
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,714
vCash: 500
The 47 percent remark was so spectacular on so many levels. Especially when you consider that Romney himself pays a lower percentage of his income in overall taxes than almost everyone he was bashing there. Not to mention Romney has his money parked in tax havens all over the world in order to shaft the government out of tax revenues. And then as others have mentioned, his remarks were grossly inaccurate, so either he was deliberately trying to mislead the people at the fundraiser, or he himself is extremely confused about the tax code. Which is disastrous for a major party nominee whose main campaign position was a proposal to lower taxes across the board.

On top of that, I seem to recall that the guy hosting the event was a convicted tax evader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
This guys voice sounds exactly like Bret Hart
Yeah, call me nuts but he sounds vaguely Canadian to me. I was a little surprised to hear he's from Boston.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:24 AM
  #22
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,111
vCash: 500
The Numbers Prove it: the Republican Party is estranged from America

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:41 AM
  #23
Ozamataz Buckshank
Registered User
 
Ozamataz Buckshank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 3,952
vCash: 500
What's even worse for the GOP is they don't even believe the message is the problem, but rather the messenger. It's going to be a rude awakening for them when minorities aren't lining up to vote for Carson or Rubio just because of their ethnicity.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:40 AM
  #24
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
What's even worse for the GOP is they don't even believe the message is the problem, but rather the messenger. It's going to be a rude awakening for them when minorities aren't lining up to vote for Carson or Rubio just because of their ethnicity.
Don't worry. I am sure they will find another scapegoat. Fox News or something.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
  #25
theotis77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,580
vCash: 500
Rubio might give a very small bump in the Hispanic vote, but not anywhere near as much as the GOP thinks, mainly because it seems that the overall Hispanic community doesn't like Cuban exile community very much.

The GOP seems to have this idea that, well, he's Hispanic, so therefore all other Hispanics will like him and want to vote for him. It's a little more complicated than that.

theotis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.