HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Peter Laviolette Discussion (April 28: Laviolette to return next season)

Old
03-14-2013, 11:46 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Posted in the rumors thread. I mean really..kind of a no brainer with Lavi. If Snider pulls a Clarke and Hitch combo I will be more surprised.....

Quote:
Greg Brady via twitter: There are strong indications from Philadelphia this morning is that Peter Laviolette job is far from safe.
Quote:
Randy Miller of the Courier Post: The Flyers are struggling and big changes could be on the horizon. It could a big trade or a coaching/GM change if Ed Snider gets fed up.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
FlyersMania2

If we were going to make a coaching change, I am surprised it didnt happen today - with 20 games remaining, we would have to win 14 of them to have 53 pts.

Most assumptions are that it will take 54 pts to get into the playoffs

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:06 PM
SuchySays

vCash: 50
yeah me too.. what's the point?

it's too late, just keep him.. they probably should have fired him weeks ago

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
If we were going to make a coaching change, I am surprised it didnt happen today - with 20 games remaining, we would have to win 14 of them to have 53 pts.

Most assumptions are that it will take 54 pts to get into the playoffs
so even if we did that we still miss the POs.

haha.

this situation is laffably bad at this point.

Hartseys no reaction to scoring last nite tells all.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:12 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Posted in the rumors thread. I mean really..kind of a no brainer with Lavi. If Snider pulls a Clarke and Hitch combo I will be more surprised.....
God no. Can someone please kidnap Snider until the season is over. No big trades. Just say no Ed.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
so even if we did that we still miss the POs.

haha.

this situation is laffably bad at this point.

Hartseys no reaction to scoring last nite tells all.
Why should he have reacted? They were losing 5-2 in a game with 3:52 left. They were done. I would have been more bothered if he did celebrate.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Why should he have reacted? They were losing 5-2 in a game with 3:52 left. They were done. I would have been more bothered if he did celebrate.
Yeah, same here. It's like watching NFL players get pumped up for a first down in a game they're losing by 35 points.

03-14-2013, 12:50 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, same here. It's like watching NFL players get pumped up for a first down in a game they're losing by 35 points.
Brent Celek. Guy is a tool.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Circling the wagons?

What if the system is predictable and doesn't suit the players!! I'm not buying any of this from Panaccio's article..

The fact is these players do not look like they support their coach at all with their play or at least the system doesn't support the players and vice versa..

Quote:
While Holmgren and Luukko support Laviolette, that doesn’t mean Snider, who’s grown restless at not winning that ever-elusive third Stanley Cup, doesn’t raise his voice and demand a coaching change if the Flyers can’t, at least, make a competitive run for a playoff spot.

“It's not his [Laviolette's] fault,” Kimmo Timonen said. “We play the game. It's always easy to blame the coach. He only places the system down and we have to execute the system. If we don't, then that's our fault. So it shouldn't be his fault.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-deserve-blame

Old
03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, if we switched coaches, I'd rather have a balanced coach. Not an offense heavy (even though lots of goals are always fun) and not defensive heavy. Probably the best blend of balanced coaching I can think of Julien with Boston.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Homer gives lukewarm endorsement to Lavy. #Flyers
Quote:
Now Homer says he has "never even thought" about replacing Lavy. #Flyers
Source: Sam Charchidi @BroadStBull

Old
03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Well i'm pretty sure it's not his call.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
What if the system is predictable and doesn't suit the players!! I'm not buying any of this from Panaccio's article..

The fact is these players do not look like they support their coach at all with their play or at least the system doesn't support the players and vice versa..
That's a nice sentiment Kimmo, but if the players are unable to execute the system, the system needs to be adjusted to make it more suitable for the players. If the coach is unable to make it more suitable, it's time to consider finding a coach who can.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Homer when asked if Lavy was on the hot seat: "I don't think so." #Flyers
Quote:
"I haven't even thought about it," Homer says of a coaching change. #Flyers
Source: Sam Charchidi @BroadStBull

Old
03-14-2013, 02:05 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That's a nice sentiment Kimmo, but if the players are unable to execute the system, the system needs to be adjusted to make it more suitable for the players. If the coach is unable to make it more suitable, it's time to consider finding a coach who can.
Exactly Beef.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

03-14-2013, 02:43 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
General manager Paul Holmgren said he is not thinking about making a coach change, and he criticized the Flyers’ “compete” level during an impromptu news conference at the team’s practice facility in Voorhees on Thursday.

At first, Holmgren gave coach Peter Laviolette a seemingly lukewarm endorsement.

Asked if Laviolette was on the hot seat, Holmgren said, “I don’t think so.”

Holmgren later added: “I haven’t even thought about” making a coaching change and that he was “not at the point” of making a major trade.

The general manager chastised the Flyers’ effort in their 5-2 loss to the Devils on Wednesday.

“If there were 100 puck battles, I don’t know if we won a handful of them,” he said.

Holmgren said the Flyers are “making a lot of mistakes. Some of them are from a lack of competitiveness, and I think our team needs to compete better. I don’t think we can let the players off the hook here.”

The Flyers are 12-15-1, have not had a winning streak of more than two games, and are 11th in the Eastern Conference.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...anagement.html

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

If the Flyers lose tomorrow at home, I would be shocked, no disgusted with the organization if Lavi wasn't let go. I love the man's passion and intensity but he's simply lost the room.

With this odd break in the schedule, now is the time to bring in a new coach on an interim capacity. There's time to practice, learn and adjust to a new, hopefully defensive oriented system. Terry Murray is the perfect choice.

If you go on a run, great. If not, you're looking at an off season starting with a high draft pick, an idea of what direction you're heading in and the ability to choose from a handful of discarded Head coaches or someone else from left field (Ted Nolan, Larry Robinson, Jacques Lemaire)

I'm more interested to see how the Flyers come out tomorrow. They know how delicate the situation is with Lavi, do they come out and play for him or do they phone it in and end his tenure.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
I'm more interested to see how the Flyers come out tomorrow. They know how delicate the situation is with Lavi, do they come out and play for him or do they phone it in and end his tenure.
Dead on. Tomorrow we will see what this team truly thinks of the coach.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
If the Flyers lose tomorrow at home, I would be shocked, no disgusted with the organization if Lavi wasn't let go. I love the man's passion and intensity but he's simply lost the room.

With this odd break in the schedule, now is the time to bring in a new coach on an interim capacity. There's time to practice, learn and adjust to a new, hopefully defensive oriented system. Terry Murray is the perfect choice.

If you go on a run, great. If not, you're looking at an off season starting with a high draft pick, an idea of what direction you're heading in and the ability to choose from a handful of discarded Head coaches or someone else from left field (Ted Nolan, Larry Robinson, Jacques Lemaire)

Regardless of what Homer's saying, I think Lavi's days are numbered.

You brought up Larry Robinson, I was watching San Jose this weekend and they were talking about him. I was kind of shocked he couldn't get head coaching gigs this summer. I honestly wouldn't mind if they brought him in.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:52 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:

Indeed - the apparent public acknowledgement of it being coaching - if they play their hearts out, it says how they feel about him as a coach. If they look like the same team, that says a lot as well.

Murray is a great coach. I always wondered why they let Stevens run the team instead of him when Johnny boy came in as the interim coach

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Holmgren is once again talking out his @ss. He doesn't think so?? Yeah the compete level is lacking but it doesn't occur in a vacuum and he knows it ..if he doesn't then he needs to be put out on his dry drunk @ss as well.

I mean the Devils were laughing at them practically and the Devils players interviewed were basically saying how predictable it was to play the Flyers.

This "play harder" meme is the same crap that Barber told his players when he had no clue in the playoffs how to adjust his style to the other team and Primeau had to stage an uprising in the offseason to finally get him ousted...

Anyway, it's not all of Lavi's fault due to his personnel and that is on Holmgren but he certainly isn't helping and doesn't seem to be inspiring his team much despite the words of endorsement mainly from the vets like Timonen, Hartnell and Briere....

Why is it that Couturier was on record as saying some nights some players show up and some nights others don't...

Old
03-14-2013, 03:49 PM
FlyersFan61290

What is homer gonna say, yes Lavy is in danger of losing his job? That would never happen. I don't even know why reporters bother w/ Paul, everything out if his mouth is bull

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:05 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, if we switched coaches, I'd rather have a balanced coach. Not an offense heavy (even though lots of goals are always fun) and not defensive heavy. Probably the best blend of balanced coaching I can think of Julien with Boston.
the problem with kimmo saying "we're just not executing" is that's what it looks like their "trying" to do instead of having an outline and some ideas about what their plan is. when their on the power play they look robotic like their trying desperately to set some ghost play up that never materializes. there's not a lot of natural looking creativity going on. that's not hockey. we have too many smart players on our team that i don't see playing that way. also they look depressed out there which is partly from losing but partly from being stifled on both sides. i like what laviolette did here but its over. just a matter of riding this out and trying to get some entertainment out of it.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Pretty sure this is as poorly coached a Flyers team as I have ever seen. They are dreadful, uninspired, inattentive, unfocused, disorganized, and listless. It's time.
So you blocked out the John Stevens years?

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Quote:
Greg Brady via twitter: There are strong indications from Philadelphia this morning is that Peter Laviolette job is far from safe.
I trust him...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote