HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Encompassing Tortorella/Sather Thread

View Poll Results: A quarter of the way through the 2013 season, do you approve or disapprove of Torts?
Approve 168 50.45%
Disapprove 165 49.55%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2013, 07:46 AM
  #676
The Mouth
Registered User
 
The Mouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Like Bill Torrey's bowtie banner at the Mausoleum, they should raise a banner of Sam's toupee.

But seriously Torts shouldn't have spoken to Sam that way, guy is 65 and an MSG employee.

The Mouth is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 07:54 AM
  #677
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,696
vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Like Bill Torrey's bowtie banner at the Mausoleum, they should raise a banner of Sam's toupee.

But seriously Torts shouldn't have spoken to Sam that way, guy is 65 and an MSG employee.
Torts is an *******. Always has been, always will be. I agree that he ought to be more respectful of a Rangers institution like Sam.

I'm not on the "Fire Torts" bandwagon, if there is one yet. You guys all know I'm not a fan of his and never have been, but it's silly to want to get rid of a successful coach after 25 or so games of mediocrity.

I do worry though that his hard-assed, lets-beat-up-the-players style will wear thin with the players. They're grown men being paid a fortune to play the game and they don't need to be coddled, but we all know the reality of professional sports. I hope he doesn't lose the locker room.

After the past couple days, tonight's game should be telling about where this team is at with regards to the player/coach relationship.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 08:10 AM
  #678
Dorado*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn ,USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Well it certainly appears Gaborik wants a change of scenery . He may be hurt or gun why in his shoulder . In reality being put on the LW was the final straw . I think he could use a change . Torts has used Gaborik as a whipping boy his entire tenure here . He's gotten results but the time out is there . It happens , I won't even do my usual pile on Torts or call him names .
Gaborik should be the second line right wing and Callahan he 3 R . Callahan can create his own offense playing a grind It out game . Half of Callahans production comes off the PP anyway . Then you have a checking line that can score . I think the only issue Torts has with Gaborik and Richards together is how bad they both are I'm their own end .

Dorado* is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
  #679
truebluegoalie
Registered User
 
truebluegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Well it certainly appears Gaborik wants a change of scenery . He may be hurt or gun why in his shoulder . In reality being put on the LW was the final straw . I think he could use a change . Torts has used Gaborik as a whipping boy his entire tenure here . He's gotten results but the time out is there . It happens , I won't even do my usual pile on Torts or call him names .
Gaborik should be the second line right wing and Callahan he 3 R . Callahan can create his own offense playing a grind It out game . Half of Callahans production comes off the PP anyway . Then you have a checking line that can score . I think the only issue Torts has with Gaborik and Richards together is how bad they both are I'm their own end .
I don't think he wants a change of scenery. I think it is a combination of the LW thing and being worried about his shoulder but none of us really know what he is thinking.

truebluegoalie is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 09:13 AM
  #680
Traderalways
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
Please... I love Sam... But let's be perfectly honest.... The guy is terrible In the booth.... Makes a ton of mistakes...wrong player calls... Wrong player on the ice... And his eyesight is suspect as well... His hockey knowledge exists from the stat guy in the booth who hands him the sheets.... So when he tries to question torts on the intricacies of every play.... It's comical... And by the way....Im not a torts guy!!

Traderalways is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:21 AM
  #681
zuckera1
#35
 
zuckera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderalways View Post
Please... I love Sam... But let's be perfectly honest.... The guy is terrible In the booth.... Makes a ton of mistakes...wrong player calls... Wrong player on the ice... And his eyesight is suspect as well... His hockey knowledge exists from the stat guy in the booth who hands him the sheets.... So when he tries to question torts on the intricacies of every play.... It's comical... And by the way....Im not a torts guy!!
Harsh criticism of Sam Rosen. Who would you rather have calling our games? Doc "I can't stop talking with my nerdy voice" Emerick? I've always enjoyed listening to Sam wayy more than Doc, even if he makes an occasional mistake.

The only announcer I'd consider listening to over Sam is Jim Hughson of CBC, he in my opinion is the best in the business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoM65fhZO_k

zuckera1 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
  #682
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Tortorella's aggression was not directed AT SAM, it was towards the players at the time. Sam does tend to ask obvious questions that rub salt right into the open wound. I'm not surprised at all that a coach like Tortorella would react the way he did. IMO, this is the last thing this fanbase should be getting on Tortorella about.

I'm still more pro Tortorella then Con. I don't think there is a better coach for this team right now (laviolette? idk), so i'd like to see it through till at least the end of next season. We need the right kind of personel to fit his system and style of play.

NikC is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:03 AM
  #683
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
players seem to be tuning him out, at this point.

KreiMeARiver* is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:28 AM
  #684
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Tortorella's aggression was not directed AT SAM, it was towards the players at the time. Sam does tend to ask obvious questions that rub salt right into the open wound. I'm not surprised at all that a coach like Tortorella would react the way he did. IMO, this is the last thing this fanbase should be getting on Tortorella about.

I'm still more pro Tortorella then Con. I don't think there is a better coach for this team right now (laviolette? idk), so i'd like to see it through till at least the end of next season. We need the right kind of personel to fit his system and style of play.
I don't get how so many people seem to be missing this. I can bet it wasn't lost on Sam.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:49 AM
  #685
nrf83
Registered User
 
nrf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: golf course
Country: United States
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I don't get how so many people seem to be missing this. I can bet it wasn't lost on Sam.
Sam is a big boy and he can take care of himself; you think he was never growled at before, he's a professional announcer and reporter and if he can't handle a little adversity than maybe its time he retired. I can't believe this board sometimes, all products of OprahI bet that he and Torts had a good laugh about it on the plane to "Peg"

nrf83 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
  #686
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Dave Maloney is on the FAN 590 Hockeycentral. Torts apologized to Sam yesterday.

Quote:
Tortorella apologized to Sam Rosen for his antics the other night following the game vs Buffalo
https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...43055874949120

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 12:47 PM
  #687
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Dave Maloney is on the FAN 590 Hockeycentral. Torts apologized to Sam yesterday.



https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...43055874949120
Kind of like a weekly Sunday confession thing for Torts it would appear...

BBKers is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 12:48 PM
  #688
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,713
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Dave Maloney is on the FAN 590 Hockeycentral. Torts apologized to Sam yesterday.



https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...43055874949120
Thank you. Maybe now we can remove the "Torts totally told Sam off" bullet point from his lynching resume. I thought it was being overblown to begin with.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 12:49 PM
  #689
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I don't get how so many people seem to be missing this. I can bet it wasn't lost on Sam.
I for one am not missing it. He was a jerk to everyone so he can make his point he was not happy with the team. There are a million other ways to show that you're mad, throwin a fit like a baby should be last on that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Dave Maloney is on the FAN 590 Hockeycentral. Torts apologized to Sam yesterday.



https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...43055874949120
As he should.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 12:59 PM
  #690
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,502
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Kind of like a weekly Sunday confession thing for Torts it would appear...
Nope. It was Wednesday.

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
  #691
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Dave Maloney is on the FAN 590 Hockeycentral. Torts apologized to Sam yesterday.

Quote:
Tortorella apologized to Sam Rosen for his antics the other night following the game vs Buffalo
https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...43055874949120
just watched the interview, and sam doesn't deserve that ****. he's been with the organization wayy longer than tortorella, and will have been a member of the organization many years more than torts when he gets the boot. call it misdirected anger all you want, it's classless and does not belong on this team.

for somebody who talks about respect a crap-ton, and complains that there isn't enough of it around the league, torts doesn't seem to show any for anybody involved in with the league-- CERTAINLY not to members of the media. i'm usually on tort's side with the press, but some guys you just don't mouth off to under any circumstances. sam rosen is one of those guys. i admit sam asks some dumb questions, and torts was in a bad mood after the loss, but sam's one of those guys you just smile and nod politely to.


/endrant

glad he had the balls to apologize, but it should never get to that point with a guy that has been a part of the team for this many years. not surprising the room doesn't listen to him anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Nope. It was Wednesday.

Kreider Typical is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:03 PM
  #692
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,696
vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Thank you. Maybe now we can remove the "Torts totally told Sam off" bullet point from his lynching resume. I thought it was being overblown to begin with.
I don't think anyone was portraying it that way. Some of us just feel that a coach shouldn't be so short with the reporters, particularly when there was nothing done to provoke it. Professionalism is a good thing. Particularly when dealing with a team institution like Sam (say what you want about him slipping--the guy is a huge part of our history).

Apologizing was the right thing to do. I'd like to believe that's the last Torts outburst, but we all know it won't be.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
  #693
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,057
vCash: 500
He was rough on Sam, no question. And Sam handled it like a pro. Did not make it about him or take it personally. All that said, I totally agree with why Tort's is so thoroughly frustrated. This is a team that can win any hockey game. They have the personnel, the talent to be in every single game. The coaching is there as well. Say what you will about his personality, Tort's is a proven winner.

He just suffers from an extreme intolerance to B.S..

He's also entertaining as hell. This is sports. It should be passionate. Sam Rosen gets that. And he looks all the better for taking a flame out by Torts completely in stride. One of the class acts in his business.

Pizza is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
  #694
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,713
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't think anyone was portraying it that way. Some of us just feel that a coach shouldn't be so short with the reporters, particularly when there was nothing done to provoke it. Professionalism is a good thing. Particularly when dealing with a team institution like Sam (say what you want about him slipping--the guy is a huge part of our history).

Apologizing was the right thing to do. I'd like to believe that's the last Torts outburst, but we all know it won't be.
He'll be just as pissed off during an interview post-Cup win. Tom Coughlin may have more smiles in his life than Torts has friendly media interactions.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
  #695
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I for one am not missing it. He was a jerk to everyone so he can make his point he was not happy with the team. There are a million other ways to show that you're mad, throwin a fit like a baby should be last on that list.



As he should.
the man is a passionate coach for NYC hockey team, he's not a HS guidance counselor.

get over this man's personality please.

I just re watched the interview, and all this talk about class, blah, blah, blah...

Sam walked into a chainsaw sorry. don't ask pedestrian questions about what team is hungrier
after the debacle that just transpired.


Last edited by NikC: 03-14-2013 at 01:23 PM.
NikC is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
  #696
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,696
vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
the man is a passionate coach for NYC hockey team, he's not a HS guidance counselor.

get over this man's personality please.
Some of us expect representatives of the teams we support to act in a professional manner. It's shocking, I know. I don't expect anything different from my peers, bosses or subordinates. It's just how I prefer to see people handle themselves.

Is his personality a deal-breaker? Certainly not. If he's coaching a successful team, I'm probably willing to look past it. When the team is struggling, though, some of these other "flaws" are harder to overlook.

I get his frustration. I'm slamming **** around in my living room after bad losses and cursing a up blue streak. I just feel like his anger is often misdirected.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
  #697
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,057
vCash: 500
People find an excuse to be offended by everything these days. There are so many people out there saying/doing truly stupid things for absolutely no good reason.

In this case we have a coach who actually gives a damn about winning hockey games for The New York Rangers. When he losses, he's pissed. He Hates to lose. I'm OK with that.

Pizza is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:27 PM
  #698
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Some of us expect representatives of the teams we support to act in a professional manner. It's shocking, I know. I don't expect anything different from my peers, bosses or subordinates. It's just how I prefer to see people handle themselves.

Is his personality a deal-breaker? Certainly not. If he's coaching a successful team, I'm probably willing to look past it. When the team is struggling, though, some of these other "flaws" are harder to overlook.

I get his frustration. I'm slamming **** around in my living room after bad losses and cursing a up blue streak. I just feel like his anger is often misdirected.
I agree. But I can't say I am waiting for him to get fired. Not anymore. To his defense his remarks, although ugly, are often substantive. Not a cookie cutter stuff other coaches as well as players come up with.

94now is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:44 PM
  #699
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Some of us expect representatives of the teams we support to act in a professional manner. It's shocking, I know. I don't expect anything different from my peers, bosses or subordinates. It's just how I prefer to see people handle themselves.

Is his personality a deal-breaker? Certainly not. If he's coaching a successful team, I'm probably willing to look past it. When the team is struggling, though, some of these other "flaws" are harder to overlook.

I get his frustration. I'm slamming **** around in my living room after bad losses and cursing a up blue streak. I just feel like his anger is often misdirected.
He is professional, yet sometimes he loses his composure after his team displays a lack of professionalism and attempts to mail in a performance, as if the coach would not be aware?
Heat of the moment. You're kidding yourself if you don't think behavior like this exists in all manner of business and industry in the above context.

He was not directing his anger towards Sam, but towards the team. If you or others can't see that, it's on youse i guess?

NikC is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:48 PM
  #700
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,502
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Some of us expect representatives of the teams we support to act in a professional manner.
That expectation should have been abandoned once he hit the lady with the water bottle.

Thirty One is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.