HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Encompassing Tortorella/Sather Thread

View Poll Results: A quarter of the way through the 2013 season, do you approve or disapprove of Torts?
Approve 168 50.45%
Disapprove 165 49.55%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 07:46 AM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
Like Bill Torrey's bowtie banner at the Mausoleum, they should raise a banner of Sam's toupee.

But seriously Torts shouldn't have spoken to Sam that way, guy is 65 and an MSG employee.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Like Bill Torrey's bowtie banner at the Mausoleum, they should raise a banner of Sam's toupee.

But seriously Torts shouldn't have spoken to Sam that way, guy is 65 and an MSG employee.
Torts is an *******. Always has been, always will be. I agree that he ought to be more respectful of a Rangers institution like Sam.

I'm not on the "Fire Torts" bandwagon, if there is one yet. You guys all know I'm not a fan of his and never have been, but it's silly to want to get rid of a successful coach after 25 or so games of mediocrity.

I do worry though that his hard-assed, lets-beat-up-the-players style will wear thin with the players. They're grown men being paid a fortune to play the game and they don't need to be coddled, but we all know the reality of professional sports. I hope he doesn't lose the locker room.

After the past couple days, tonight's game should be telling about where this team is at with regards to the player/coach relationship.

It's just pain.
Old
03-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Dorado*

Well it certainly appears Gaborik wants a change of scenery . He may be hurt or gun why in his shoulder . In reality being put on the LW was the final straw . I think he could use a change . Torts has used Gaborik as a whipping boy his entire tenure here . He's gotten results but the time out is there . It happens , I won't even do my usual pile on Torts or call him names .
Gaborik should be the second line right wing and Callahan he 3 R . Callahan can create his own offense playing a grind It out game . Half of Callahans production comes off the PP anyway . Then you have a checking line that can score . I think the only issue Torts has with Gaborik and Richards together is how bad they both are I'm their own end .

Old
03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Well it certainly appears Gaborik wants a change of scenery . He may be hurt or gun why in his shoulder . In reality being put on the LW was the final straw . I think he could use a change . Torts has used Gaborik as a whipping boy his entire tenure here . He's gotten results but the time out is there . It happens , I won't even do my usual pile on Torts or call him names .
Gaborik should be the second line right wing and Callahan he 3 R . Callahan can create his own offense playing a grind It out game . Half of Callahans production comes off the PP anyway . Then you have a checking line that can score . I think the only issue Torts has with Gaborik and Richards together is how bad they both are I'm their own end .
I don't think he wants a change of scenery. I think it is a combination of the LW thing and being worried about his shoulder but none of us really know what he is thinking.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Traderalways

Please... I love Sam... But let's be perfectly honest.... The guy is terrible In the booth.... Makes a ton of mistakes...wrong player calls... Wrong player on the ice... And his eyesight is suspect as well... His hockey knowledge exists from the stat guy in the booth who hands him the sheets.... So when he tries to question torts on the intricacies of every play.... It's comical... And by the way....Im not a torts guy!!

Old
03-14-2013, 10:21 AM
zuckera1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderalways View Post
Please... I love Sam... But let's be perfectly honest.... The guy is terrible In the booth.... Makes a ton of mistakes...wrong player calls... Wrong player on the ice... And his eyesight is suspect as well... His hockey knowledge exists from the stat guy in the booth who hands him the sheets.... So when he tries to question torts on the intricacies of every play.... It's comical... And by the way....Im not a torts guy!!
Harsh criticism of Sam Rosen. Who would you rather have calling our games? Doc "I can't stop talking with my nerdy voice" Emerick? I've always enjoyed listening to Sam wayy more than Doc, even if he makes an occasional mistake.

The only announcer I'd consider listening to over Sam is Jim Hughson of CBC, he in my opinion is the best in the business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoM65fhZO_k

Old
03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
NikC

Tortorella's aggression was not directed AT SAM, it was towards the players at the time. Sam does tend to ask obvious questions that rub salt right into the open wound. I'm not surprised at all that a coach like Tortorella would react the way he did. IMO, this is the last thing this fanbase should be getting on Tortorella about.

I'm still more pro Tortorella then Con. I don't think there is a better coach for this team right now (laviolette? idk), so i'd like to see it through till at least the end of next season. We need the right kind of personel to fit his system and style of play.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:03 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

players seem to be tuning him out, at this point.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Tortorella's aggression was not directed AT SAM, it was towards the players at the time. Sam does tend to ask obvious questions that rub salt right into the open wound. I'm not surprised at all that a coach like Tortorella would react the way he did. IMO, this is the last thing this fanbase should be getting on Tortorella about.

I'm still more pro Tortorella then Con. I don't think there is a better coach for this team right now (laviolette? idk), so i'd like to see it through till at least the end of next season. We need the right kind of personel to fit his system and style of play.
I don't get how so many people seem to be missing this. I can bet it wasn't lost on Sam.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:49 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I don't get how so many people seem to be missing this. I can bet it wasn't lost on Sam.
Sam is a big boy and he can take care of himself; you think he was never growled at before, he's a professional announcer and reporter and if he can't handle a little adversity than maybe its time he retired. I can't believe this board sometimes, all products of OprahI bet that he and Torts had a good laugh about it on the plane to "Peg"

Old
03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dave Maloney is on the FAN 590 Hockeycentral. Torts apologized to Sam yesterday.

Quote:
Tortorella apologized to Sam Rosen for his antics the other night following the game vs Buffalo
https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...43055874949120

Old
03-14-2013, 12:47 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Dave Maloney is on the FAN 590 Hockeycentral. Torts apologized to Sam yesterday.

Kind of like a weekly Sunday confession thing for Torts it would appear...

Old
03-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:

Thank you. Maybe now we can remove the "Torts totally told Sam off" bullet point from his lynching resume. I thought it was being overblown to begin with.

03-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I for one am not missing it. He was a jerk to everyone so he can make his point he was not happy with the team. There are a million other ways to show that you're mad, throwin a fit like a baby should be last on that list.

Quote:

As he should.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Kind of like a weekly Sunday confession thing for Torts it would appear...
Nope. It was Wednesday.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:

Quote:
Tortorella apologized to Sam Rosen for his antics the other night following the game vs Buffalo
just watched the interview, and sam doesn't deserve that ****. he's been with the organization wayy longer than tortorella, and will have been a member of the organization many years more than torts when he gets the boot. call it misdirected anger all you want, it's classless and does not belong on this team.

for somebody who talks about respect a crap-ton, and complains that there isn't enough of it around the league, torts doesn't seem to show any for anybody involved in with the league-- CERTAINLY not to members of the media. i'm usually on tort's side with the press, but some guys you just don't mouth off to under any circumstances. sam rosen is one of those guys. i admit sam asks some dumb questions, and torts was in a bad mood after the loss, but sam's one of those guys you just smile and nod politely to.

/endrant

glad he had the balls to apologize, but it should never get to that point with a guy that has been a part of the team for this many years. not surprising the room doesn't listen to him anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Nope. It was Wednesday.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Thank you. Maybe now we can remove the "Torts totally told Sam off" bullet point from his lynching resume. I thought it was being overblown to begin with.
I don't think anyone was portraying it that way. Some of us just feel that a coach shouldn't be so short with the reporters, particularly when there was nothing done to provoke it. Professionalism is a good thing. Particularly when dealing with a team institution like Sam (say what you want about him slipping--the guy is a huge part of our history).

Apologizing was the right thing to do. I'd like to believe that's the last Torts outburst, but we all know it won't be.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Pizza

He was rough on Sam, no question. And Sam handled it like a pro. Did not make it about him or take it personally. All that said, I totally agree with why Tort's is so thoroughly frustrated. This is a team that can win any hockey game. They have the personnel, the talent to be in every single game. The coaching is there as well. Say what you will about his personality, Tort's is a proven winner.

He just suffers from an extreme intolerance to B.S..

He's also entertaining as hell. This is sports. It should be passionate. Sam Rosen gets that. And he looks all the better for taking a flame out by Torts completely in stride. One of the class acts in his business.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't think anyone was portraying it that way. Some of us just feel that a coach shouldn't be so short with the reporters, particularly when there was nothing done to provoke it. Professionalism is a good thing. Particularly when dealing with a team institution like Sam (say what you want about him slipping--the guy is a huge part of our history).

Apologizing was the right thing to do. I'd like to believe that's the last Torts outburst, but we all know it won't be.
He'll be just as pissed off during an interview post-Cup win. Tom Coughlin may have more smiles in his life than Torts has friendly media interactions.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I for one am not missing it. He was a jerk to everyone so he can make his point he was not happy with the team. There are a million other ways to show that you're mad, throwin a fit like a baby should be last on that list.

As he should.
the man is a passionate coach for NYC hockey team, he's not a HS guidance counselor.

get over this man's personality please.

I just re watched the interview, and all this talk about class, blah, blah, blah...

Sam walked into a chainsaw sorry. don't ask pedestrian questions about what team is hungrier
after the debacle that just transpired.

Last edited by NikC: 03-14-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
the man is a passionate coach for NYC hockey team, he's not a HS guidance counselor.

get over this man's personality please.
Some of us expect representatives of the teams we support to act in a professional manner. It's shocking, I know. I don't expect anything different from my peers, bosses or subordinates. It's just how I prefer to see people handle themselves.

Is his personality a deal-breaker? Certainly not. If he's coaching a successful team, I'm probably willing to look past it. When the team is struggling, though, some of these other "flaws" are harder to overlook.

I get his frustration. I'm slamming **** around in my living room after bad losses and cursing a up blue streak. I just feel like his anger is often misdirected.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Pizza

People find an excuse to be offended by everything these days. There are so many people out there saying/doing truly stupid things for absolutely no good reason.

In this case we have a coach who actually gives a damn about winning hockey games for The New York Rangers. When he losses, he's pissed. He Hates to lose. I'm OK with that.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:27 PM
94now

Quote:
Some of us expect representatives of the teams we support to act in a professional manner. It's shocking, I know. I don't expect anything different from my peers, bosses or subordinates. It's just how I prefer to see people handle themselves.

Is his personality a deal-breaker? Certainly not. If he's coaching a successful team, I'm probably willing to look past it. When the team is struggling, though, some of these other "flaws" are harder to overlook.

I get his frustration. I'm slamming **** around in my living room after bad losses and cursing a up blue streak. I just feel like his anger is often misdirected.
I agree. But I can't say I am waiting for him to get fired. Not anymore. To his defense his remarks, although ugly, are often substantive. Not a cookie cutter stuff other coaches as well as players come up with.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:44 PM
NikC

Quote:

He is professional, yet sometimes he loses his composure after his team displays a lack of professionalism and attempts to mail in a performance, as if the coach would not be aware?
Heat of the moment. You're kidding yourself if you don't think behavior like this exists in all manner of business and industry in the above context.

He was not directing his anger towards Sam, but towards the team. If you or others can't see that, it's on youse i guess?

Old
03-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Some of us expect representatives of the teams we support to act in a professional manner.
That expectation should have been abandoned once he hit the lady with the water bottle.

Closed Thread