HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Pantherfan12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
What I meant when I said 'most of the players on our team can be replaced in free agency, they're not that unique' is that most of them CAN be replaced, that's true, but I'm not advocating trading the entire team. It wouldn't work anyway, you need some bodies to finish out the year. You are not going to get the deal you want for everybody. Put a bunch of guys on the market, see what you can get, and then trade a few guys.

Steeg has played like an idiot since halfway through last season. It's his fault that he's on the market now, his and his alone. We should keep him around just because we might be afraid it might scare away potential FA's? Tallon is charged with the welfare of the team, and he's going to do what he thinks is best for the future of the team. Yes, if you play like garbage, you should expect to be traded, I think any FA understands that.

Anyone who's traded will be replaced. I can't fathom how people are worried that we won't be able to replace the spectacular Versteeg and Fleischmann. Come on. We're not talking about Gretzky and Coffey in the 80's here.

ROR can't be traded until February.
Versteeg wasn't playing like an idiot, he was playing like he was injuried because.... He was! the man had hip surgery for god's sakes, I mean can't he get a pass for that?
If Tallon moved Versteeg, who would he be traded for and who would replace him? Everyone here is 100% certain that we won't be aquiring the services of Corey Perry, so who exactly takes his place? Last season and even this past offseason,everyone was keeping their fingers crossed that Versteeg avoided arbitration and resigned, well he did and now no one likes him? A year ago, Versteeg along side Weiss and Flash we're once named the best 1st line in the league for the first half of the season, now we can deal with them being traded??

I am sorry but if either one is traded, we're taking steps backwards. Like I said, the likelyhood Tallon gets a true first line player is slim, so now we're going to expect yet another 2nd/3rd line player to step up and play 1st line minutes???

Old
03-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't think Steeg or Flash get traded. Flash is doing what he can and geez, when Steeg is on, he's awesome. Flush this season down the drain and let him heal up or whatever he needs to do. And who knows, maybe Weiss does re-sign and that line can start brand new next season.

This has just been a disaster so it's hard for anyone to get going. Thankfully it's almost over.

-ghoste

Old
03-12-2013, 06:38 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't think Steeg or Flash get traded. Flash is doing what he can and geez, when Steeg is on, he's awesome. Flush this season down the drain and let him heal up or whatever he needs to do. And who knows, maybe Weiss does re-sign and that line can start brand new next season.

This has just been a disaster so it's hard for anyone to get going. Thankfully it's almost over.

-ghoste
Nice post! I feel Tallon may have moved Weiss and one other player at the deadline this year, why would he blow the team apart after a shortened season riddled with injuries and transitioning year for rookies and some new faces.

There's a slim chance he trades BOTH Flash and Versteeg, possibly one but with their contracts I doubt theyre will be tons of offers for them.

I'd like to keep Kulikov at least until his new contract is up to re-evaluate if he's worth re-signing in two years time.

Mueller and Matthias are probably the biggest bait right now but why trade them away when theyre still RFA's and two of our best players night in and night out.

Goc, Kopecky and Skille could draw interest but they are cheap and are role type guys that fit into bottom 6 slots very nicely.

That leaves the unwanted guys: Jovo, Upshall, Kuba, Parros and Smithson who are either overpaid, not performing well enough or are injured.

Bergy and Theo are both injured as well so they will not draw interest.

WHY trade the guys that are performing good for us and HOW do you trade the guys that aren't performing good for us? We can't win them all, we got a ton of injuries and are going through a year where some rookies have got some experience earlier than expected. Tallon has some more games to evaluate with the limited roster who he can possibly move but I wouldn't expect more than 2-3 guys moved at deadline day.

So to recap, I feel other than Weiss and one other player was maybe what we would see dealt this year by Tallon but now half of that plan has just got season ending wrist surgery. Tallon doesn't have much wiggle room and blowing the team up is what he did two years ago, why do it again because we got some bad luck and a terrible start to the season.

Keep calm and carry on TANKERS!

Old
03-12-2013, 08:36 PM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Too much hype for Bjugstad, imo. I think he has a decent chance of making the team but he's not going to be the #1 center. IF he is, we're screwed.
I agree if he is the no.1 centre then it will probably be a long year. And im not even saying he deserves or should make the team.

But a think a combination of him being good cheap, the Panthers being bad cheap, and his pro-readiness will lead him to finding a way on the team.

As for staying another year, Shore gave up a chance to play with his little, little brother this year (IIRC). Bjugs will have had 3 legit shots at the NC after this year, I would guess he'd be ready to move on regardless..

Old
03-12-2013, 09:30 PM
ShootIt

I think another reason why Bjugstad didn't sign was due to the impending lockout.

Anyways, the more I think about it, I want this team to stay intact unless another team gets desperate.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Mac in his first game back from injury, nets 2 goals and 2 assists.

I'm still for Mac. Then Drouin. If they were gone and we pick 3rd, I can't decide between Jones or Barkov.

-ghoste

Old
03-14-2013, 03:10 AM
David71

is goc good on the faceoffs? what would it take to pry him out? to vancouver of course. vancouver sure does love florida players

Old
03-14-2013, 03:53 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
100% fans just want a quick change and want playoffs to happen immediately. Keep these guys and let the farm grow. Tallon needs to make smart trades / acquisitions.

I would go for players like Dubinsky, Jones, ect ect - players that have passion and grit to their game.

Think about it, if you were a GM who would you trade flash or versteeg for? More picks? seriously? we have alot of good quality players in the depth chart. I think it would be a good time to trade our 2nd for some support and play it smart.
We are last in the league. We're not going to trade our 2nd. That pick is going to be like a late 1st, in a great draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Versteeg wasn't playing like an idiot, he was playing like he was injuried because.... He was! the man had hip surgery for god's sakes, I mean can't he get a pass for that?
If Tallon moved Versteeg, who would he be traded for and who would replace him? Everyone here is 100% certain that we won't be aquiring the services of Corey Perry, so who exactly takes his place? Last season and even this past offseason,everyone was keeping their fingers crossed that Versteeg avoided arbitration and resigned, well he did and now no one likes him? A year ago, Versteeg along side Weiss and Flash we're once named the best 1st line in the league for the first half of the season, now we can deal with them being traded??

I am sorry but if either one is traded, we're taking steps backwards. Like I said, the likelyhood Tallon gets a true first line player is slim, so now we're going to expect yet another 2nd/3rd line player to step up and play 1st line minutes???
Nope, Versteeg has been playing like an idiot since halfway through last season. He thinks he's Pat Kane now and tries to stickhandle through the entire team every game, and every game he turns the puck over. It has nothing to do with any injury. It's mental. The only thing the injury has done is make him look even more foolish.

So it's Corey Perry or bust? There are several other players we could sign to replace Versteeg. If we trade him now, we save some money on his salary for this season. We'll have lots of money to throw at a FA. Money talks. That's how we got all those free agents two years ago.

Everyone wanted Versteeg back because we were hoping that he'd get his head straight and stop playing like he thinks he's Pat Kane. He still plays the same way. If he doesn't change, there's no way that line will ever get back to playing the way they did the 1st half of last season.

Versteeg isn't a 1st line player, so we don't have to worry about replacing him with a 1st line player. We can sign a good 2nd liner with that money.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Use the amnesty on Upshall and Clemmer.
Unfortunately this doesn't do all that much. Especially in the Upshall case.

With Clemmer, it gets him off this team. So that's great. But with Upshall... considering the amnesty clause still keeps us on the hold for their paychecks... is useless. You might as well let Upshall play for us if you're going to be paying for it. He's not THAT bad. And we all know this team has zero issues with cap space considering we don't spend to or near the cap.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
Unfortunately this doesn't do all that much. Especially in the Upshall case.

With Clemmer, it gets him off this team. So that's great. But with Upshall... considering the amnesty clause still keeps us on the hold for their paychecks... is useless. You might as well let Upshall play for us if you're going to be paying for it. He's not THAT bad. And we all know this team has zero issues with cap space considering we don't spend to or near the cap.
He'll be playing on the 4th line making 3.5. Even though we'd be paying him for 4 more years, it'd be for a lot less each year, and that money can be better spent to improve the team. Not to mention he'd be taking a lineup spot from a much needed tough guy that we need to bring in. That's when he's not injured, which is when he'd still be taking up a roster spot.

We don't have a problem with spending up to the cap, but that's still real money, and if we buy him out it's spread out more over a period of time so its easier for ownership to swallow.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
He'll be playing on the 4th line making 3.5. Even though we'd be paying him for 4 more years, it'd be for a lot less each year, and that money can be better spent to improve the team. Not to mention he'd be taking a lineup spot from a much needed tough guy that we need to bring in. That's when he's not injured, which is when he'd still be taking up a roster spot.

We don't have a problem with spending up to the cap, but that's still real money, and if we buy him out it's spread out more over a period of time so its easier for ownership to swallow.
Bingo! Instead of owing Upshall $7M for the next 2 yrs, they would owe him $4.667M over the next 4 yrs. That $2.333M savings can be re-used to sign guys like Matthias, etc who can stay in the lineup and play a physical style of game.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Montsy14

With news of the Versteeg injury, if someone offers up quite a bit for Flash, Kopy or Goc, do the Panthers make a deal?

Old
03-14-2013, 12:40 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
With news of the Versteeg injury, if someone offers up quite a bit for Flash, Kopy or Goc, do the Panthers make a deal?
I don't think Versteeg's injury changes things

I think Flash is the least likely to get traded. It might be shortsighted to trade a legit top 6 forward who can give us 50-60 points for more prospects.

I think you sell Kopecky while his value is high but I don't see Tallon moving him. We need him for next year.

Goc, imo, is the most likely to be traded.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:44 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I don't think Versteeg's injury changes things

I think Flash is the least likely to get traded. It might be shortsighted to trade a legit top 6 forward who can give us 50-60 points for more prospects.

I think you sell Kopecky while his value is high but I don't see Tallon moving him. We need him for next year.

Goc, imo, is the most likely to be traded.
I agree. We still need to keep talent on the roster. Flash, like most other top 6 players, is a streaky player. Some nights he'll post up a 0 in the points department, and other nights he'll grab 1-2 points. At the end of the year(82 games) he'll have anywhere from 50-60 points. Fine by me.

I want to keep Kopecky unless some team really gets desperate. His hustle is something this team lacks, sans a few other players.

Goc I could see moved, especially with his friendly cap hit. I can see Shore and Matthias battling for the 3rd line center spot next season. Too bad the top 2 center spots are up in the air.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

I don't think Versteeg's injury changes things, but I think Flash is going to get moved. Lot of smoke there.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:

Upshall's not getting paid to play the 4th line. Upshall's getting paid to be injured. That's the issue. It's not like he's a talentless Scott Clemmensen. It's the fact that we've yet to see Scottie Upshall. We know Scottie Upshall is talented. He's a middle-6 guy who has never seen a full season in the NHL due to injuries though.

I'd let him play or let him be injured or try and trade him. That money will be much more valuable down the line when you're talking about signing guys like Huberdeau.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
Upshall's not getting paid to play the 4th line. Upshall's getting paid to be injured. That's the issue. It's not like he's a talentless Scott Clemmensen. It's the fact that we've yet to see Scottie Upshall. We know Scottie Upshall is talented. He's a middle-6 guy who has never seen a full season in the NHL due to injuries though.

I'd let him play or let him be injured or try and trade him. That money will be much more valuable down the line when you're talking about signing guys like Huberdeau.
I'll agree to disagree on that one.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Thread title needs to be changed It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Injured so We Can't Trade Them Next.

Not that I really want to see Steeger go I'd like to see him healthy but he's turning into Upshall.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:14 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

vCash: 1300
Nokelainen waived, this year left at 575k. Whether it's Tallon or someone else, some GM will claim him as a depth forward. Was good for his role in Montreal last year.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nokelainen on waivers. We shouldnt let him pass. He's a solid depth guy.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
We are last in the league. We're not going to trade our 2nd. That pick is going to be like a late 1st, in a great draft.

Nope, Versteeg has been playing like an idiot since halfway through last season. He thinks he's Pat Kane now and tries to stickhandle through the entire team every game, and every game he turns the puck over. It has nothing to do with any injury. It's mental. The only thing the injury has done is make him look even more foolish.

So it's Corey Perry or bust? There are several other players we could sign to replace Versteeg. If we trade him now, we save some money on his salary for this season. We'll have lots of money to throw at a FA. Money talks. That's how we got all those free agents two years ago.

Everyone wanted Versteeg back because we were hoping that he'd get his head straight and stop playing like he thinks he's Pat Kane. He still plays the same way. If he doesn't change, there's no way that line will ever get back to playing the way they did the 1st half of last season.

Versteeg isn't a 1st line player, so we don't have to worry about replacing him with a 1st line player. We can sign a good 2nd liner with that money.
No, It was injury and not mental. I've seen interviews with him and he spoke about playing injuried. He had hip surgery,like I mentioned before, which means he had to have been struggling during the season.
Injury aside, I actually want more cocky,a bit selffish players on my team. No one complained when Bure was scoring 60 goals for us. While I am not comparing Bure to Versteeg, I am saying I have no problem watching him try too, or succeed in stick-handling his way into the zone instead of the ol' dump and chase. Is there a problem with him maybe wanting to be more like his old teammate, Pat Kane? Maybe he's being hard on himself because he expects more out of himself and he wants to contribute more. Maybe he's been working on his stick-handling more during practice and wants to be a more dementional player, Who knows? I think there are fans here who will just find any reason to have Versteeg traded. I am not saying that Versteeg is a true top line guy, but I am saying that he along side Weiss and Flash made up a great top line for us. That is also why I said unless we are going after and signing Perry, that we need to keep Steeg. I don't know what free agents will be available this offseason, but is any of them a true top line player or all around better than Versteeg? Can't we add a guy like Perry as well as keep Versteeg? I don't know about cap space, but is it scientifically impossible to sign a guy like Perry while keeping Versteeg and most of our team?

Old
03-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I think another reason why Bjugstad didn't sign was due to the impending lockout.

Anyways, the more I think about it, I want this team to stay intact unless another team gets desperate.

No, he went back so he could finish his education.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:15 AM
SufferingCatFan

I am so proud of the way this team tanks....28 games with 20 points. The next worst teams have 23 points in 26 games. With 2 games in hand, they are going to have to work hard not to improve their records by adding a couple of points.

I particularly admire the way we give up a couple of soft goals every first period and then play flat the rest of the way. Clemmer is the perfect goalie for the job with his penchant for playing too deep in the net and giving up soft goals from long range. I am a little worried about Markstrom because of his talent level, but fortunately our AHL quality defense seems to allow about 6-7 quality shots from the slot in every game he plays.

I am also a bit concerned that Goc, Smithson and Kopecky among the vets seem to be sufffering from a "never say die" attitude so we need to trade them before it spreads to the rest of the team. Perhaps,we should give Santo the "A" instead of Guds to send the right tank messsage as well.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:43 AM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

https://twitter.com/GeorgeRichards/s...33096076836864
Quote:
‏@GeorgeRichards
#FlaPanthers dale Tallon says lots of calls from teams trying to lift 'our best players'... Says he's not making deals to make deals
You guys calling for a bunch of moves have been playing too much vidja games. I think Tallon is going to be more concerned with re-signing the guys he wants. Maybe making a couple of trades, but obviously only if it makes sense long-term.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:06 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
https://twitter.com/GeorgeRichards/s...33096076836864

You guys calling for a bunch of moves have been playing too much vidja games. I think Tallon is going to be more concerned with re-signing the guys he wants. Maybe making a couple of trades, but obviously only if it makes sense long-term.
Good to hear. Everyone is going to try and buttram us for the few guys who play well for us and give us nothing in return.

Closed Thread