HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The ALL encompassing Rumors & Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
I think if Homer is gone, Ron Hextall is a lock to be our next GM.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I think Lavi and Holmgren should be let go...Burke and Ruff are in the wings
Coaching change please. Don't touch the Big Trade.

03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Who makes the call on a coaching change? Does Homer have the hiring/firing duties or is that someone else?

Old
03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think if Homer is gone, Ron Hextall is a lock to be our next GM.
Forgot about that. Yeah we might see a Clarke and Hitch redux with Holmgren saying he is "resigning."

Old
03-14-2013, 11:49 AM
flyershockey

Not sure how I would feel about Burke, but at least we would have a GM that has a plan, instead of just Homer's full-proof plan of throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. I really want no part of Ruff here though. On top of his personality being insufferable, he's got the Andy Reid syndrome. He's good enough to get to the dance, but not good enough to win it all. See: All his good teams in Buffalo underachieving.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Coaching change please. Don't touch the Big Trade.
I bet Snider likes Burke though but luckily Hextall is out there.....he would make more sense. Holmgren would probably just step aside although I'm willing to see Holmgren stick around at least one more season although I'm a bit afraid of some wacky move by him..more so than what somebody like a Burke would do.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Another thing about Ruff that might rub some people around here the wrong way is his teams are soft as hell.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:52 AM
UKFlyers

Homer doesn't deserve to be fired. Yes, we lost some decent pieces in the summer without replacing them but that was Homer rolling the dice to try and bring in a franchise defenseman and a top-line winger for Giroux in order to bring the team closer to the cup, which is what Snider would have wanted. Even with those failures, it's still a decent team who should be capable of making the Playoffs and are underperforming.

I could advocate binning Lavie, but it would be harsh on Homer

Old
03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Prongo
Beer

If Homer does resign as GM at some point or is fired, I hope he will stay around and continue to scout forwards for the draft. Under him we have made some pretty damn good picks at forward. He was a pro scout when Clarke was in office.

EDIT: Assistant GM not scout. Still you get the point. The guy knows how to draft forwards.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Not sure how I would feel about Burke, but at least we would have a GM that has a plan, instead of just Homer's full-proof plan of throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. I really want no part of Ruff here though. On top of his personality being insufferable, he's got the Andy Reid syndrome. He's good enough to get to the dance, but not good enough to win it all. See: All his good teams in Buffalo underachieving.
I'm not a Ruff fan but there aren't many options out there..the guy is not incompetent ..maybe a bit overbearing but I think he could be a good fit with our lineup to be honest.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Another thing about Ruff that might rub some people around here the wrong way is his teams are soft as hell.
True..but was that a case of the GM or Ruff? The GM is on the hot seat now in Buffalo...

Old
03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

I don't get the want for Homer to be fired. What has he done to make this team as bad as it is?

Old
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
exactly

Old
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I bet Snider likes Burke though but luckily Hextall is out there.....he would make more sense. Holmgren would probably just step aside although I'm willing to see Holmgren stick around at least one more season although I'm a bit afraid of some wacky move by him..more so than what somebody like a Burke would do.
Burke would probably still have a job right now if he didn't always run his mouth. The guys a good GM but his act gets old, especially when your team is losing.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Like I said on the last page I see the Flyers firing Lavi and then bringing in Murray or someone to finish this season, only to find the real replacement in the offseason. Hope for the Rangers to miss the playoffs and Torts gets fired.

EDIT: Woops, didn't say that in this thread. Damn two Lavi discussions.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
03-14-2013, 12:04 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Too bad the Caps couldn't wait a lil longer to get rid of Bruce.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Too bad the Caps couldn't wait a lil longer to get rid of Bruce.
Hell no. Bruce's "ability" to make adjustments during the playoffs makes Lavi look like a tactical genius.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Tripod

When Mike friggin Milbury goes on National tv and says that the Flyers D-man are not built to be pincking in all the time....and he is right....you have a problem. We ALL see the issue here. Lavi is not coaching to the player strengths...except the forwards.
Can Bryz post good #'s in a good system? Yup...he has shown that.
Are Schenn, Grossmann, Coburn and an aging Kimmo suited for an up-tempo game that puts lots of pressue and odd man rushes against the defense? NOPE!!
Hell, even Milbury said that he didn't know why Lavi was getting the D-men to pinch. He even said that at some point, the coach has to change his system if it isn't working. If Milbury can see it, and we see it, why can't Lavi? Answer...he sees it but refuses to change.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
blinds

I don't think getting rid of Holmgren solves anything, he's not the problem. He struck out this offseason with the offer sheet and Parise/Suter but he didn't have many choices (I know I didn't want Carle back for that price). No way to foresee something like Pronger going down, or Bryz being as terrible as he is but he's adjusted well enough and obviously the attempt is there even if he didn't find success. Replacing Pronger isn't something easy to do, and when your owner tells you to find the best goalie available and they turn out like Bryz has it's not really your fault.

Lavi on the other hand won't adjust his system at all to his roster. He keeps our defense pinching in situations they shouldn't, and with the defense we have they shouldn't be pinching nearly as much just because of how slow they are. This offense-first plan for our defense is awful, and it's just compounded by the fact that it exposes Bryz's weak points on a nightly basis. Bryz is a system's goalie and he isn't going to be that reliable goalie who makes big saves on odd-man chances. He's just not, but Lavi keeps putting him in positions where he has to be and he fails. And now that our offense has dried up a little (likely due to youth and lost depth in Jagr and JVR), his run and gun system makes even less sense. The forwards to take too many chances to create transitions the defense can't support, and don't put nearly the effort necessary into the backcheck that we need. I think most of our problems come down to a coach trying to force a system on a roster that is not suited for it at all, and the coach needs to be the first thing to change.

GET RID OF LAVI. His system makes no sense on this team and he won't adjust.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I hate Ruff.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:25 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I don't get the want for Homer to be fired. What has he done to make this team as bad as it is?
Sometimes, it's not that. Sometimes it is simply that the message is old or stale. Every motivational speaker runs out of material eventually.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Sometimes, it's not that. Sometimes it is simply that the message is old or stale. Every motivational speaker runs out of material eventually.
Motivational Speaker you say? They should hire this guy.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

In Toronto we are very fond of Sean Couturier. What would return would Flyers fans find equitable from Toronto? Anything is on the table, but I'd think Phaneuf, JVR, and Kessel are all extremely unlikely to be dealt.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
sometimes a change is needed for the better to make the roster better, get a better coach, a different style, sometimes it just gets old and homer has some really bad decisions on making trades with draft picks for dud players that this team really needed, especially for the farm system, it's bad right now because of him.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
In Toronto we are very fond of Sean Couturier. What would return would Flyers fans find equitable from Toronto? Anything is on the table, but I'd think Phaneuf, JVR, and Kessel are all extremely unlikely to be dealt.
Not compatible unless you trade Jake Gardiner for something less than Couturier

Closed Thread