HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL: Part Anybody's Guess (3/14: BoG approves realignment)

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
So if re-alignment was in place today, the East would be...

Atlantic:

Pit - 38
NJ - 31
CAR - 31
NYR - 28

Central:

Montreal - 40
Boston - 37
Ottawa - 32
Toronto - 31
Detroit - 29

Central would send 5 teams and the Atlantic would send only 3. The Rangers would not be in the playoffs (obviously this isn't a foolproof discussion, seeing as how the schedule would have been different from the get go, etc... etc... just looking at it is now to see).

So assuming Montreal grabs Detroit in the first round, do the Penguins get the Leafs? And if the Leafs are now playing in the Atlantic Divisions playoff bracket, could they "technically' win the Atlantic division?

Then we have the chance of seeing a Maple Leafs / Habs ECF. Color me confused.

Strange.

Last edited by silverfish: 03-14-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
How does Perry get 4 and Kaleta get 5? If the reason isn't because Kaleta has a history, then I don't get it.

Perry's hit was way worse IMO.
Perry will still lose more money than Kaleta.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:26 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Thumbs down on this realignment

Old
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
truebluegoalie

I hadn't been following this realignment much, I knew I didn't like what I had read but I thought I would wait till it was finalized to really take a look at it. I have to admit, I am not a fan. I don't like the idea of the wild card or the top three teams from the division making it. They say five teams could make the playoffs, maybe that is good considering the Rangers are in one of the tougher divisions. The really funny thing is that if you look at the link I provided there is a video and a picture of the new alignment. It all makes sense geographically, except for the Florida teams. lol For others who haven't been following it like myself here is the breakdown from the NHL website http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=DL|NHL|home:

The top three teams in each division will make-up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lowest number of points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the Conference Championship series.

The two divisional champions in each conference will then play in the conference finals to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

The divisions will be temporarily referred to as Division A, Division B, Division C and Division D. Permanent names will be assigned later.

The Western Conference will house Division A and Division B, while Division C and D will consist of eight teams each and make up the Eastern Conference.

Division A is the Anaheim Ducks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks and Vancouver Canucks.

Division B features the Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, St. Louis Blues and Winnipeg Jets.

Division C has four Original Six franchises: Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs. The Buffalo Sabres, Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators and Tampa Bay Lightning are also in the division.

The Columbus Blue Jackets, Carolina Hurricanes and Washington Capitals will join the New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins in Division D.

The new alignment ensures that all 30 teams play in all 30 arenas at least once per season.

The National Hockey League Players' Association has given its consent to play under the new Alignment and Playoff System for a minimum of three seasons, through the 2015-16 NHL season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

Color me confused.

Strange.
I am glad I am not the only one confused about the playoff setup. Maybe once we see it play out next year it will make more sense.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 03-14-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 02:14 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Awful realignment. Just awful.

-uneven conferences
-stupid wild card system
-Rangers play Jackets as many times as Devils
-Florida teams get screwed (the Atlantic would've been MUCH better for them)
-doesn't really reduce travel all that much
-I'm sure Chicago is thrilled with their one big rival shifting conferences

...all this so Detroit can start their road games an hour earlier. Really? Red Wings, you are the ultimate villain in this and will boo you relentlessly when you come to the Garden. This was all you had to do.

CLB to the Southeast
DAL to the Central
WIN to the Northwest
VAN to the Pacific

...done and done. No, let's scrap something that works perfectly so Detroit can be in the East, despite being ONE OF THE 15 MOST WESTERN TEAMS, and Columbus doesn't throw a hissy fit about it. Good job, NHL. This will last the 3 years and upon reevaluation they will realize how stupid they did this. Hopefully by then we have the expansion so they can just go to 4 Conferences and we can play a decent number of games against our real rivals again.

4 games against the Isles, Devs, and Flyers.... so we can have a home-and-home with the Wild. Just pathetic

Old
03-14-2013, 02:59 PM
truebluegoalie

I don't mind the realignment. It isn't just about Detroit starting their road games an hour earlier, it is them starting their road games in the same time zone, instead of 1030 starts they are 730 starts. Columbus as well. Obviously they will still have to head to the west coast, but now only as many times as the Rangers which seems fair.

Honestly, it just makes sense to move them. What I don't like is the confusing playoff format and the eventual expansion which will inevitably come from this.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I don't mind the realignment. It isn't just about Detroit starting their road games an hour earlier, it is them starting their road games in the same time zone, instead of 1030 starts they are 730 starts. Columbus as well. Obviously they will still have to head to the west coast, but now only as many times as the Rangers which seems fair.

Honestly, it just makes sense to move them. What I don't like is the confusing playoff format and the eventual expansion which will inevitably come from this.
If Detroit were in the Mid-West division though, they would be mainly 8:00 starts. Colorado is the one team with a two hour difference, but they could fix that if they put them in the Pacific.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
03-14-2013, 03:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post

-uneven conferences
-stupid wild card system

...all this so Detroit can start their road games an hour earlier. Really? Red Wings, you are the ultimate villain in this and will boo you relentlessly when you come to the Garden. This was all you had to do.

CLB to the Southeast
DAL to the Central
WIN to the Northwest
VAN to the Pacific

...done and done. No, let's scrap something that works perfectly so Detroit can be in the East, despite being ONE OF THE 15 MOST WESTERN TEAMS, and Columbus doesn't throw a hissy fit about it. Good job, NHL. This will last the 3 years and upon reevaluation they will realize how stupid they did this. Hopefully by then we have the expansion so they can just go to 4 Conferences and we can play a decent number of games against our real rivals again.

4 games against the Isles, Devs, and Flyers.... so we can have a home-and-home with the Wild. Just pathetic

Yep.

****ing terrible. I try and forget about it because I get mad thinking about it. But we're gonna have to deal with this stupid **** soon.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:

-uneven conferences
-stupid wild card system

CLB to the Southeast
DAL to the Central
WIN to the Northwest
VAN to the Pacific
To the two bold points: Minnesota's owner says the new alignment is going to save his team ~$1m on travel expenses. That's not worth doing?

Also, Vancouver was never going to separate from Calgary and Edmonton. You want to preserve your rivalry games just so you can take them away from another team? Bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Expansion was inevitable with realignment or without.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
So if re-alignment was in place today, the East would be...

Atlantic:

Pit - 38
NJ - 31
CAR - 31
NYR - 28

Central:

Montreal - 40
Boston - 37
Ottawa - 32
Toronto - 31
Detroit - 29

Central would send 5 teams and the Atlantic would send only 3. The Rangers would not be in the playoffs (obviously this isn't a foolproof discussion, seeing as how the schedule would have been different from the get go, etc... etc... just looking at it is now to see).

So assuming Montreal grabs Detroit in the first round, do the Penguins get the Leafs? And if the Leafs are now playing in the Atlantic Divisions playoff bracket, could they "technically' win the Atlantic division?

Then we have the chance of seeing a Maple Leafs / Habs ECF. Color me confused.

Strange.
Yes, if Toronto beats Pittsburgh, and then the winner of NJD/CAR, they will have won the D Division and will play whoever won the C.

rip
Old
03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
I am currently keeping track of people who don't care about the problem I posted numerous times about the wildcard system. When they ***** and moan when their favorite team gets screwed by winning their division and facing a tougher team than the second place team in their division's opponent, I'll show them their post.

03-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
I am currently keeping track of people who don't care about the problem I posted numerous times about the wildcard system. When they ***** and moan when their favorite team gets screwed by winning their division and facing a tougher team than the second place team in their division, I'll show them their post.
It hasn't set in yet.. but of course us fans and the Rangers will constantly be beaten in the soul by this wildcard. That's our luck.

Edit: Honestly, I think it's way better then this first place automatically in BS. It should be based on points and not position. Unless I'm reading it wrong?

Old
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Yes, if Toronto beats Pittsburgh, and then the winner of NJD/CAR, they will have won the D Division and will play whoever won the C.
Well, that's stupid. Will they raise an "Atlantic Division" Championship Banner in the ACC?

I suppose if a division really does dominate the other division that severely, then they deserve it

Old
03-14-2013, 05:51 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
To the two bold points: Minnesota's owner says the new alignment is going to save his team ~$1m on travel expenses. That's not worth doing?

Also, Vancouver was never going to separate from Calgary and Edmonton. You want to preserve your rivalry games just so you can take them away from another team? Bull.

Expansion was inevitable with realignment or without.
Vancouver would still be CONFERENCE rivals with Edmonton and Calgary, if they went to the Pacific. They would play them 4 times a year. Under this new system, how many times will VAN play EDM/CAL? FOUR TIMES A YEAR! They aren't building rivalries, most teams are playing their main rivals less!

Every rival does not have to be in the same division under the current format. BOS/PHI is a good one. PIT/WAS is great. CHI/VAN out West has been heated for years. Not only that, but you play a ton within your division and the games get really nasty. That's why it worked so well. But no. Let's scrap it because Detroit is whining. The NHL didn't invent time zones. Up until now, they drew a line between the 30 teams. The 15 to the east were in the East. The 15 to the west were in the West. Yea, it created a couple problems, but the solution to that is not to come up with some ridiculous format that solves a couple problems for a couple teams and creates more for everybody else.

When we get through next year and realize we go months without seeing the Flyers, or Isles, or Devils... you'll understand why this absolutely blows. Enjoy your Jackets/Rangers games! WOW! Bad blood there.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

CLB to the Southeast
DAL to the Central
WIN to the Northwest
VAN to the Pacific

Nope, that doesn't work. Detroit is in the Eastern time zone and both the NHL and the Wings want to be in the Eastern Conference. I don't blame them.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

There are 16 ETZ teams, and 14 C/M/PTZ teams. SOMEONE is going to have to be in the West to make it fair. It can't be perfect all the time.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Nope, that doesn't work. Detroit is in the Eastern time zone and both the NHL and the Wings want to be in the Eastern Conference. I don't blame them.
Why not this (timezones in brackets).

WESTERN CONFERENCE:
Pacific Division:
Vancouver (PT, -3)
Anaheim (PT, -3)
Los Angeles (PT, -3)
San Jose (PT, -3)
Phoenix (PT, -3)
Calgary (MT, -2)
Edmonton (MT, -2)
Colorado (MT, -2)

Mid-West Division:
Minnesota (CT, -1)
Chicago (CT, -1)
Nashville (CT, -1)
St. Louis (CT, -1)
Winnipeg (CT, -1)
Dallas (CT, -1)
Detroit (ET, 0)

EASTERN CONFERENCE:
Central Division:
Boston (ET, 0)
Ottawa (ET, 0)
Toronto (ET, 0)
Buffalo (ET, 0)
Montreal (ET, 0)
Tampa Bay (ET, 0)
Florida (ET, 0)

Atlantic Division
N.Y. Rangers (ET, 0)
N.Y. Islanders (ET, 0)
New Jersey (ET, 0)
Philadelphia (ET, 0)
Pittsburgh (ET, 0)
Carolina (ET, 0)
Columbus (ET, 0)
Washington (ET, 0)

15 teams each conference. Detroit has to experience Pacific Time the same amount as any other Eastern Time Zone Team. Their inter-division road games would start at 8 PM their time. It gets a little complicated in the playoffs, if their the #1 seed or a wild card team, but I don't think that issue is worth an imbalance of divisions.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
So because one team doesn't like it, we **** everyone else?

03-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
In this situation, the answer is clearly yes.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
It hasn't set in yet.. but of course us fans and the Rangers will constantly be beaten in the soul by this wildcard. That's our luck.

Edit: Honestly, I think it's way better then this first place automatically in BS. It should be based on points and not position. Unless I'm reading it wrong?
You didn't read it wrong--I just should have clarified my post. I do mean by points.

It should be:
1. Better division winner vs worse wildcard team
2. Second place team vs third place team
3. Place better wildcard team into other division and then seed them 1-4 by points
4. 1v4
5. 2v3

Old
03-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Kershaw

How many pts for Crosby today?

Over/under 4.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Should I watch the Pens Leafs or Jackets Blackhawks?

Old
03-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
How many pts for Crosby today?

Over/under 4.
I'm gonna take the under.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Thunderhead

Caps down 2 already.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
The new alignment is an improvement for 16 teams and basically status quo for 12 others. 2 teams are getting "****ed" and thats even debatable.

Closed Thread