HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers and the Impending Realignment

Old
03-08-2013, 02:46 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

vCash: 500
Actually happy with this. I live an hour and a half away from Detroit, so I will be at as many of those games as possible.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:57 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
To those of you complaining about the teams that make up our conference and the extra travel time, you can likely thank Yorkman and the business side. I suspect that the business side of the Panthers pushed for this because of the additional ticket revenues
That's for sure, Skille's opinion:
“This is the hand we’ve been dealt, and there’s nothing we can do about it,” Skille said. “This was the league’s choice, and we just have to win some games in that division. There’s a lot of Canadian people who live in Florida, so we’ll have the barn packed.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/0...#storylink=cpy

JOL

jol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:21 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Actually happy with this. I live an hour and a half away from Detroit, so I will be at as many of those games as possible.
London?

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
London?
you got it, actually 20 min west, Strathroy. Pretty much half way between London & Sarnia.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:29 PM
GernBlanston

I think everyone has covered all of the salient points here. I think that the most important point is that we're going to sell the heck out of some tickets, whether we're worth watching or not. It may not be pretty, but it helps make us viable / competitive in the long run, so I think it was the smart business move. As much as I hate to talk about the "business" of hockey.

While looking over the divisions earlier, I realized that I won't have the Caps to hate on anymore... and have decided:

F*$% THE BRUINS!! Who's with me?!!?!?

GernBlanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

14 teams in the west and 16 in the east. You gotta be ****ing kidding me..

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:37 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
you got it, actually 20 min west, Strathroy. Pretty much half way between London & Sarnia.
I was born and raised in KW, so I know the area well!

Old
03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernBlanston View Post
I think everyone has covered all of the salient points here. I think that the most important point is that we're going to sell the heck out of some tickets, whether we're worth watching or not. It may not be pretty, but it helps make us viable / competitive in the long run, so I think it was the smart business move. As much as I hate to talk about the "business" of hockey.

While looking over the divisions earlier, I realized that I won't have the Caps to hate on anymore... and have decided:

I hate the Bruins and the Caps so I'm down!!

Old
03-08-2013, 03:46 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernBlanston View Post

No one can change my dislike for the Leafs and Lightning. That will be forever

Old
03-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Benched

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Because that wouldn't solve the problem which brought about this whole realignment thing in the first place. Putting Detroit in the East.
Fine, swap WPG and DET.

I thought the reasoning was wanting the Jets in the West.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:41 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
No one can change my dislike for the Leafs and Lightning. That will be forever
Same here with the Lightning and interchange the Leafs with the Habs for me. I don't like the Leafs and the Bruins though. The only teams that I don't have anything really against in this new division are the Sens and Sabres. Once we become competitive, I definitely see some rivalries on the horizon.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:39 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
Fine, swap WPG and DET.

I thought the reasoning was wanting the Jets in the West.
Winnipeg is the new kid on the block, Detroit has been wanting to get into the East for decades.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I hate every team in the Division except Tampa. Carolina and Wash gone, can't stand them, either. We're gonna have to beef up and get a lot better having rivalries with these clubs. Especially the Boston Bullies. Chara and Lucic won't go with guys their own size, but they'll push around smaller players.

03-14-2013, 11:23 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

well its official...BOG approves realignment get used to dealing with lots of canadians and torontonians and northerns now.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I like it. It's exciting to see something new.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Panthersfan1989

I have a question... I've been seeing a lot of chatter that our panthers will be moving to Quebec city. No concrete evidence just a lot of fan chatter on the NHL site, any truth to this? Also does anyone know how much longer the Franchise has left on its lease with the BB&T center? Why are other teams fan so ignorant to the fact that we aren't last in attendance.. I'd think that NYI or Phoenix would be the first to relocate...

Panthersfan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:41 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
14 teams in the west and 16 in the east. You gotta be ****ing kidding me..
This is almost solely why I hate this. The odds are way higher to make the playoffs in the West. Just seems like such an amateur thing to do. I know they're setting up expansion but...

KittysGotClaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:10 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthersfan1989 View Post
I have a question... I've been seeing a lot of chatter that our panthers will be moving to Quebec city. No concrete evidence just a lot of fan chatter on the NHL site, any truth to this? Also does anyone know how much longer the Franchise has left on its lease with the BB&T center? Why are other teams fan so ignorant to the fact that we aren't last in attendance.. I'd think that NYI or Phoenix would be the first to relocate...
It's nonsense.

Disregard it.

angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
This is almost solely why I hate this. The odds are way higher to make the playoffs in the West. Just seems like such an amateur thing to do. I know they're setting up expansion but...
In the short term (until they add the two teams we all know are coming) , the western conference has been stronger than the eastern for a few years now - evens out some of the odds.

I'd rather have an 8 of 16 chance in the east than an 8 in 14 chance in the west.

Expansion will happen when the Panthers finally have a good team so that someone can poach valuable players off our roster - book it.

angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
In the short term (until they add the two teams we all know are coming) , the western conference has been stronger than the eastern for a few years now - evens out some of the odds.

I'd rather have an 8 of 16 chance in the east than an 8 in 14 chance in the west.

Expansion will happen when the Panthers finally have a good team so that someone can poach valuable players off our roster - book it.
I think it'll be more impactful than you think. If you look at the standings right now, 7 of the top 9 teams in the league are in the East. The NHL has so much parity that any team can make a run in any season. Having to overcome six other teams to make the playoffs is significantly easier than overcoming eight. It'll all be moot assuming expansion comes sooner than later, but in the mean time, it's borderline asinine for a professional sports league to unbalance conferences. It was a big enough joke in baseball and was remedied, and something that I'm sure wouldn't fly in the NFL or NBA these days.

The NHL has a hard enough time attracting outside fans. This new system is confusing and unnecessary and comes off as another turn off. Just my opinion of course. Would have been so much easier to switch a few teams and keep the current system. I sure will miss those 1-8 conference playoffs.

As for your last statement - you're probably right. Looks like it's setting up that way.

KittysGotClaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:11 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthersfan1989 View Post
Our lease ends I believe in 2022. I believe we are safe for quite some time. The league will expand to 32 before moving teams to different areas, and with both us and Tampa in this division, they won't keep only one Florida team, they will keep them both so teams can road trip down here.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:14 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:

*In voice of the boss from Office Space*

Yaaaah, so we got a couple new teams coming in. So, yah, we're gonna need you to give up Huberdeau and Markstrom, yah. If you could do that, that would be great cause all the other teams can only part ways with 4th liners, so we have to help them out, you know? So if you could go ahead and do that.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:05 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

It isn't 8 out of 14 vs. 8 out of 16 though. The top 3 teams in each division make the playoffs, guaranteed. Then there are two wildcards in each conference. If you happen to play in a weak division in a given year, then this system is actually great. It doesn't matter at all what the teams in the other division in your conference are doing.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
It isn't 8 out of 14 vs. 8 out of 16 though. The top 3 teams in each division make the playoffs, guaranteed. Then there are two wildcards in each conference. If you happen to play in a weak division in a given year, then this system is actually great. It doesn't matter at all what the teams in the other division in your conference are doing.
Yea... It is 8 out of 16. You could say its 2 wild cards out of 10 teams, opposed to 2 out of 8 if you look at it like that.. Regardless, it's statistically gonna be harder to make the playoffs in the east then west, no way to lather that one up. Just how it is.

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:

I wouldnt worry too much about expansion TBH. The rules are pretty straight forward in how you can protect guys too. We would be one of the teams only protecting one goalie so we can protect more roster players. That option means we can protect 5 d-men and 9 forwards. So the only guys exposed would be bottom 6 forwards, overpriced vets by that point, or maybe a youngster or 2 that hasnt been able to crack our already deep lineup. If there was an expansion draft tomorrow, it would be easy to protect our valuable players and remain as good as we did before. Heck, when Columbus & Minnesota were brought into the league, you didnt see any elite teams losing top talent then (see list here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NHL_Expansion_Draft)

But really expansion is so far off from now that we have no idea who will be in our lineup. They would have to re-align again just to accommodate expansion just like happened when we came into the league because the most likely expansion teams would be in the Eastern part of North America. They wouldnt re-align now just to re-align in 3-4 yrs IMO. So don't expect expansion for at least another 5-6 yrs IMO. Maybe even closer to when the CBA expires in like 7 yrs from now.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote