HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal-Toronto 20-12-2003

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 04:21 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Fun game to watch with a little bit of everything going on. The better team won, for sure, but Montreal came out and gave them a good workout and showed once again that they aren't a pushover team anymore. Furthermore, as a Hab fan, you just have to be ecstatic about the performance from a plan point of view, and it's got to be a fabulous pleasure to see this team performing with intelligence, with heads up, and without giving up even a little. How many years has it been since we could say we had something akin to a 'lunchbox crew'.
Excellent commentary on the game and insightful player analyis.

I agree that the Habs look more like a team than they have in a long time. They may have lost last night but they were competitive as they have been almost every night recently.

I admire the work CJ has done. It takes hard work, good teaching skills and patience to implement a new system. And it takes courage to sit veterans or media favorites on the bench. Behind it all stands Gainey, providing Julien with the support he needs to make those decisions.

I look forward to an interesting 2nd half of the season.

Old
12-21-2003, 06:12 AM
mcphee

Guy, your comment about Rivet is interesting, I've kind of been thinking the same thing. Most hitting, into the boards anyways, comes from leg drive. I just think that this is a problem for Rivet. I don't know if that is attributed to leg strength or skating technique, but I think that it is an issue. It would explain why he uses the cross check to clear the crease rather than his body.

I get the impression that CJ has a minimum standard now for Kilger and if he doesn't meet it early, he'll sit the rest of the night. I know that Guy and I disagree on Ward but I'd rather see Ward's effort than Chad's.

Anybody notice that Sundstrom comes to a complete stop when he gets a pass on his side of center in the neutral zone ? He, like Ribeiro, has to keep his feet moving to be effective.

I honestly don't know what I think of Ribeiro anymore. I admit that he is better at all aspects of the game than I gave him credit for before the season started. He still has shifts where he gets totally eliminated, but one or two good plays a night can change a game. I'm starting to realize the difference between a guy playing well and achieving well. You watch Primeau play a few games and think he's an elite player, watch Ribeiro and you shake your head, then you look at the numbers and you think there must be a mistake. Maybe the skinny kid can do a few things we never thought he could. of course if you talk about players who look terrible but score, Perreault comes to mind.

Old
12-21-2003, 07:50 AM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
I never made any claims about how the Leafs played tonight. It can be summed up with this clich: You got to be lucky to be good and good to be lucky. They didn't have their best game, but when it comes down to crunch time they find a way to win. That is how you get points in 14 straight games. Some nights you dominate, other nights a lucky bounce here or there is the difference.

TLC, what happened when a certain team from Philly visited Toronto, during HOF weekend???

"when it comes down to crunch time they find a way to win."

'

Old
12-21-2003, 07:57 AM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
TLC, what happened when a certain team from Philly visited Toronto, during HOF weekend???

"when it comes down to crunch time they find a way to win." '
You know very well if you've been following this team at all that this is a totally different team after that game. They had a poor start just as last season and your team crushed them, which really gave them the motivation to play better hockey after words but if they meet again and you're expecting that to happen again you're going to be extremely surprised. I'm not saying the Leafs are a sure thing to beat the Flyers but I certainly wouldn't say the Flyers are a sure thing to beat the Leafs.

Now despite some "fans" the game was very good all around. Really enjoyed it because it brought everything to the table including a fight and I hope the NHL can get a few more of those games in to improve the product.

Old
12-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Corey

If you integrate all of Guy's comments about Ribeiro, Zednik, and Dagenais you come to the conclusion that their line is strictly offensive and is subpar when they don't have the puck. I agree with this composite assessment of them. A seasoned, skilled, tough, line matched against them in a postseason 4-out-of-7 series would take advantage of them.

Old
12-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Juneau: He's hurting and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he called his retirement soon - even as soon as sometimes before the New Year. He's just come back from injury and now his linemates are taking faceoffs, he's being beaten regularly to the puck and he just doesn't have that flash he had early in the year. Now, he still does a fine job on the opponents centre that he faces and defensively he's a solid player to have, but he's losing ground at a steady rate now. C+

Zednik: He's terribly inconsistent of late. One shift on, one shift off, and I don't like it one bit. I know he's probably pining to get back on Sax's line, but since the first line is playing so well, he shouldn't hold his breath. I love his strength particularly down low, but I'd like to see him use it more defensively and on the boards as well. B-

Bulis: That's a few games in a row now where he's made a defender go the wrong way, and I see where his offensive confidence is starting to rise. A couple more games and a few less aware defenders than the one that knocked the puck off his stick at the last moment tonight and he's going to start piling in the points. If everyone worked like Bulis, this team would be the hardest working team ever. Oh, and that obstruction call where he was skating for a partial break? Laughable. And I'm glad he did rather than take four for calling the ref blind. A
I think when Begin will be back, Juneau will be done in this team. Poor guy he just looks like he's 80yo on the ice. He still can rely on his good hockey sense, but he's slower by the game, man-handled, cannot even take draws anymore... Gratton looked darn good last night on the PK and in his defensive assignements and is much faster and grittier than Juneau, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Begin get the 3rd and 4th line center jobs permanently.

I think I'd also like to see Zednik reunited with Koivu and Ryder for 2 reasons.

1- I think it's the best offensive line we've had all year and was working wonders before Zednik got his baby and was later assigned to 2nd line duty. The media who are just in love with little Ribs continually say how Zednik must be happy to play with such a talented center as Ribeiro who can feed him from everywhere but I don't think that's true. The only times where Z was really looking sharp and dominant out there was when he was playing with Saku. He needs a high energy center like him to feel in the game and Ribeiro just doesn't cut it.

2- Ribs and Dagenais seem to have something working chemistry wise in terms of playmaker/sniper complementarity. On the other hand, they're also both bellow average to average (on their best nights) defensively so why not match them with Bulis, a high energy, hard working, defensively responsible winger? He could then become their defensive conscience and allow them to work their little creative tricks in the offensive zone while being covered by Bulis if the play turns the other way quickly. Bulis just has the speed to complement those guys, and the fact he lacks a bit in the finnishing departement wouldn't be as much of a trouble as it can be on the 1st line.

That's my little 2. Good job on your comments as usual Guy!

Old
12-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
...I suggest you read the rules of the board, and if you need any help with understanding it, I'll be glad to help you out.
Do you understand the rules of the board? HF does not accept blatant trolling. Consider this a warning.

Old
12-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Leaf Army

Jeez Montreal needs to learn to keep their sticks down.

It seems everytime we play them a couple of our players lose their teeth.

The Habs are turning into a pretty dirty team.

Old
12-21-2003, 01:37 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army

i call a team that dives at any oppertunty given is dirtier than two accidental high sticks imo

Old
12-21-2003, 02:10 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
i call a team that dives at any oppertunty given is dirtier than two accidental high sticks imo
I think he's referring to Jason Ward last time we played the Leafs. I think he highsticked three players during that game.

Of course, Reichel took the back of Komisarek's knee and Zednik took the back of Fitzgerald's knee (which was also a partial dive) and there were a couple other slew-foots out there.

The reffing was so bad that we have to ignore all the diving out there. Hopefully we'll see better reffing next time around, a healthy and rested Leaf team (though that is probably balanced by their being so hot right now)...

Fun Game!

These teams don't like each other, that's apparent.

Old
12-21-2003, 03:42 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I think he's referring to Jason Ward last time we played the Leafs. I think he highsticked three players during that game.

Of course, Reichel took the back of Komisarek's knee and Zednik took the back of Fitzgerald's knee (which was also a partial dive) and there were a couple other slew-foots out there.

The reffing was so bad that we have to ignore all the diving out there. Hopefully we'll see better reffing next time around, a healthy and rested Leaf team (though that is probably balanced by their being so hot right now)...

Fun Game!

These teams don't like each other, that's apparent.
I guess I wasn't the only one screaming at the television over those bad calls. Bulis tries going around Klee, Klee moves into Bulis, Bulis gets a penalty. If someone cares to explain that one...
I guess the look on Bulis' face explained it well. He could barely believe it and with good reason.

Old
12-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army

OK, Reichel was on the ground, behind the player who hit him. A clear accident, and something that can't even be called a high stick because his stick was below knee level. I guess it should have been some sort of penalty because Reichel did take it to the face, but lets face the facts, Reichel was on the ground and was just the victim of wrong place wrong time as opposed to an intentional high stick.

Old
12-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor

"Partial Dive?"

Who do you think you are?
Fitzgerald is old , we clearly see that on the play he tries a foot move but he's ot quick enough and he fall .

Old
12-21-2003, 08:36 PM
FinnoHab

Quote:
I wish he'd play against Swede players all the time, because as a Finn, the rivalry there pushes him to his heights.
I think every NHL team has a Swede or three by now.. But of course, with Toronto/Sundin it's different. Sundin is probably the most hated of all Swedes, he's hurt us Finns so many times in big international games. And of course there's also the fact that he, like Koivu, is captain of a major Canadian hockey franchise, so Sax will always be fired up for these games.. as a Finn, AND as a Hab.

Thanks for your post-game comments Guy, it was worth wading through 11 pages of poop.

Old
12-21-2003, 09:16 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I call a person that yells "dive" everytime a Leaf player is knocked down or tripped an idiot.
Easy lad, you won the game. I didn't blame him for diving, the refs were *********, it was the smart thing to do. Zednik barely touched him tho. The Reichel thing was different, he came flying in and put his knee into the back of Komisarek's knee.

And he got a stick in the face on a follow through while he was on the ground.

I've got Tivo and I watched all of these plays over and over.

The penalty on Bulis, I had no problem with because I think Bulis did it on purpose when he collided with Klee. He was trying to play ignorant, but he obviously skated right into him and tried to take him out.

But there were plenty of other bad calls out there and both teams got their share.

Old
12-21-2003, 10:18 PM
Native

Quote:
Bouillon: He had a few good hits tonight but was seriously pushed around as well...

Markov: Looked great tonight winning those one-on-one's against the boards and playing some really intelligent and confident hockey...

Quintal: For a big guy, he was pushed around a lot tonight... Is it me, or is he having a lot more hesitation in his game lately...

Kilger: Shrug. N/A

Gratton: Well, he may not be laced with talent, but he's laced with heart and as such, fits in well with the rest of the working boys...

Dackell: Another fine game...

Sundstrom: ...I think he's finally adapting to the Eastern game and it's about time. Also nice that he's started to gel with the team - for the longest time he seemed an outsider...

Bulis: ...A couple more games .... and he's going to start piling in the points.

A *team*.
Guy!, I always look forward to reading your reviews, great job!

I love Bouillon's big heart and character, it's a delight to see. However, if I can put aside my subjective feelings, it's apparent (for me) that he's a seventh d-man max. If Dykhuis can grab the opportunity to make the best of his recall, I'd like to see him thrive. AHL medicine, a sense of desperation to save his career, I just hope he can take advantage of that. Dykhuis has some good tools.... if he can just have Cube's will.

I believe Markov is going to have a great second half. He's such a smart and crafty player. Having him play to his capabilities and having Souray will certainly add another dimension.

I don't know how to explain why Quintal seems to have deteriorated so quickly. Not a graceful or gradual winding down of his career. He plays small and I always squint when I see him chasing down a puck in the corners.

Kilger is like a Malakhov. That is, an enigma. When he's determined, he can be so effective and his value and potential come to the forefront. But then...

Gratton is a very welcomed and deserving addition, especially if your suspicions about Juneau are correct.

Dackell and Bulis both underrated players. Bulis is looking better and better, and more confident (love those cuts and drives to the net). If I'm not mistaken, he was in fact the key figure in that Wash-Mtl trade. He's set to explode.

Sundstrum has finally starting to show up and exhibit the skills that have been left dormant for so long. I think starting from the time he was placed on a line with Begin, he began to start playing.

Yes, signs of a team.

Old
12-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Native

Quote:
I call a person that yells "dive" everytime a Leaf player is knocked down or tripped an idiot.
It's unfortunate that, especially for Toronto fans, the Leafs have a reputation for those things: diving, whining, cheap-shots. Whether it's deserved or not, it's something that's hard to completely wash off. From at least the time of Farber's article, the Leafs have been branded. At least you can take consolation in the fact that your team is winning.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:18 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Well I'm finally home from that big, ugly city, and I'd like to say thanks to Francis Bouillon for embarassing all of us Habs fans up in section 320.

Where was the cube on Tucker's goal? And, what was he doing on the PP/PK so bloody often?

Old
12-22-2003, 11:00 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Well I'm finally home from that big, ugly city, and I'd like to say thanks to Francis Bouillon for embarassing all of us Habs fans up in section 320.

Where was the cube on Tucker's goal? And, what was he doing on the PP/PK so bloody often?
He made one mistake... geez.

Old
12-22-2003, 11:07 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
He made one mistake... geez.
A mistake that was done by all are other D-men during the season... Maybe it's the xmas shopping because a lot a people are reacting crazy!

Old
12-22-2003, 11:10 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine
A mistake that was done by all are other D-men during the season... Maybe it's the xmas shopping because a lot a people are reacting crazy!
It's not like he blows coverage every game because he doesn't. And he and Markov are the only two guys who can move the puck when Souray is not in the mood.

Old
12-22-2003, 12:06 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Flyers 26,

Do you remember this game from last year? http://www.canoe.ca/SlamResults02112...hi_tor-cp.html

a lot of good it did in April. Just keep that in mind.
Neither of you guys are gonna win the cup anyway, so stop premature ejaculating on our board, eh?

Old
12-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
Flyers 26,

Do you remember this game from last year? http://www.canoe.ca/SlamResults02112...hi_tor-cp.html

a lot of good it did in April. Just keep that in mind.
I seem to remember a certain group on HF, wearing the colors of the SOB, for a few weeks! Who might that have been???

Old
12-22-2003, 04:49 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Something got lost in the translation here, so I'll help you out: It's called premature ejubiliation not ejaculation.
The Canadiens have as good a chance to win the cup as either of those teams. Our team is younger and our goaltender is better than Philly's. We can beat Toronto and we've proven we can play with Philly as well and our kids are just starting to progress.

Montreal will make the playoffs and I predict we will make some waves.

Closed Thread