HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic Goaltending Options at this point?

Old
03-14-2013, 11:27 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Prolly not long.

But hey maybe Grubbie will become the anomaly.
Pretty unlikely. I wouldn't buy out Bryz unless they have a deal in place with someone else. I will not watch this team if they get Leighton to start next year.

03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Pretty unlikely. I wouldn't buy out Bryz unless they have a deal in place with someone else. I will not watch this team if they get Leighton to start next year.
I know I have bashed him a lot. I think you give Bryz one more year and then buy him out next summer. I think we do need to sign a solid backup who can win some games though. I think we should explore other goalies next summer unless its too good a deal to turn down.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Mota

A new goalie wont do anything. The Flyers are like a person that dates a bunch of people and breaks up with them, then always wonders why everyone they date is a bad person...refusing to realize that maybe they are the problem.

Bryz has shown he can be a solid goaltender when the team players smart defense in front of him. This is true for any goaltender. If you put Lundqvist in goal for us last night, the result would have been the same. There is so much confusion on the ice right now that no one seems to know what to do, including Bryz. There is no structure at all. All bringing in a new goalie is going to do is cover up the bigger issues on this team by making Bryz the scapegoat. It will be the same song and dance and the new goalie will be run out of town in a year or two.

I am not against making a move that will make this team better. If amnestying Bryz to bring in a younger cheaper goaltender that will allow us to spend cap elsewhere is a possibility, then fine. But people thinking the biggest problem right now is Bryz and that some how a new goalie is going to make everything better are just looking for an easy out.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:36 AM
buff

Not agree...

Did you see Mika Kiprussoff stole the game yesterday against Detroit ? I'm sure of one thing with Bryzagalov : He will never win a game by himslef... Sometimes a team need that.

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
A big hell no to Mike Smith. He sucked in TB, has one good year, and is sucking again. Sucking seems to be his norm.

03-14-2013, 11:40 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
Not agree...

Did you see Mika Kiprussoff stole the game yesterday against Detroit ? I'm sure of one thing with Bryzagalov : He will never win a game by himslef... Sometimes a team need that.
I can agree with that. Honestly, Bryz here seems like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Bryz fits in with a team like Phoenix as a good goalie, but he is not a Lundqvist, Rinne, Kipper, etc. that can save teams from a ton of defensive breakdowns. I don't know if he is right for our system.

I honestly don't like the Flyers system at all... It's beyond frustrating to watch on both sides of the ice.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
A big hell no to Mike Smith. He sucked in TB, has one good year, and is sucking again. Sucking seems to be his norm.
I second this notion!

Old
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Dude haven't you heard he's elite.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
buff

Quote:
I can agree with that. Honestly, Bryz here seems like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Bryz fits in with a team like Phoenix as a good goalie, but he is not a Lundqvist, Rinne, Kipper, etc. that can save teams from a ton of defensive breakdowns. I don't know if he is right for our system.

I honestly don't like the Flyers system at all... It's beyond frustrating to watch on both sides of the ice.
I'm not sure Flyers have a system at all

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Two words: Robert Esche

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:46 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I don't see how you give Bryz another year if we miss the playoffs this year.

It will be the second time we've missed in 19 years and the first since we rebuilt under Richards and Carter...only to trade them away.

Richards and Carter were cornerstones of the franchise and were a major part in getting us two games from a cup victory.

Bryz hasn't gotten us to sniffing the eventual winners jockstraps, much less a SCF victory.

The guy can't handle pressure and worst of all he cost us a actual decent prospect in Bob.

Time to admit that paying big bucks hasn't solved our netminder issue and move on.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Codith

Bernier is the most realistic choice

Why? We are great trading partners with the Kings, Trade then coburn, they are looking at another dman. Might have to throw in a pick or prospect.

Kid is behind one of the best goalies in the league, and is on the brink of being a number 1

Amnesty bryz and briere

Trade Couturier for a young dman, and draft a young Dman

Imagine if we could get rid of Briere, Bryz, Coburn and turn around and make that Bernier, OEL, Nurse

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:

It will be the second time we've missed in 19 years and the first since we rebuilt under Richards and Carter...only to trade them away.

Richards and Carter were cornerstones of the franchise and were a major part in getting us two games from a cup victory.

Bryz hasn't gotten us to sniffing the eventual winners jockstraps, much less a SCF victory.

The guy can't handle pressure and worst of all he cost us a actual decent prospect in Bob.

Time to admit that paying big bucks hasn't solved our netminder issue and move on.
I wish we still had Bob. Lavi and Homer shouldn't have given up on him after his rookie year, but the Flyers used the pick acquired for Bob to draft Stolarz, so if Stolarz ends up being a keeper it's not gonna be a big deal, big if though.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:59 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

It wasn't Bryz's fault that Bob was traded. That's on Homer. I don't believe in compounding mistakes. While trading Bob was a mistake, amnestying Bryz without a contingency plan is also a mistake. I really don't want to watch Leighton named the starter again

Old
03-14-2013, 12:12 PM
CSKA1974

Let me start with the agreement that Bryz should be amnestied either this off season or next (provided Snyder is willing to part with ~ $25 mill).

However, this team has huge problems that are not going to be sloved by purely goalkeeper replacement. This team is not only a Lundquist or Kipper away from being a good contending team.

Getting another goalie wiyhout solving other systemic issues would be like treating brain cancer with headache meds.

If the Flyers just replace a goalie, I would expect this thread to reapper next season.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:13 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
It wasn't Bryz's fault that Bob was traded. That's on Homer. I don't believe in compounding mistakes. While trading Bob was a mistake, amnestying Bryz without a contingency plan is also a mistake. I really don't want to watch Leighton named the starter again
I couldn't disagree more. If Holmgren is still the GM of this team, given how little regard he's shown for cap management in the past, I will be absolutely terrified that all it takes is one average to good year from Bryz and we're locked into that contract till 2020. That's not saying Homer is a "bad" GM, he has a ton of strengths, he's just shown a serious lack of understanding / regard for the cap in the past and I'm absolutely terrified that if Bryz gets another chance and shows any sign of improvement, Holmgren will keep him around.

And that would be the death of this team. If Bryz is kept around next year, unless he's playing Vezina caliber hockey, he needs to be amnestied. 1 year of improved / above-average play next year cannot cancel out the prior 2 years of inconsistent, terrible play. Because the potential for that inconsistent sieve of a goalie to come back is always possible, and indeed it's very likely that the poor play does return as Bryz turns from what was supposed to be his "prime" to the later years of his career.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:20 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

My gripe is that you could get just as good goaltending from a decent backup for much less money and use the remainder to upgrade other spots like on the wing or the backend.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
GTopCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by budscweizer16 View Post
I'm sure he is tired, and although he's a legend, Marty Brodeur played 70+ games for 10 straight seasons. So I don't like that as an excuse. And I agree that we need a backup. To continuously throw bryz in there night in and night out, bc u have even less faith in Boucher and Leighton is ridiculous, and a huge defficiency. Getting an adequate backup would alleviate some stress on bryz and more than likely allow him perform better. However, I ask myself the question, can we win a cup with Bryz, and my answer is a resounding... No. Therefore it's time to look elsewhere.
Playing 70 games in an 82 game season isn't comparable to having to start virtually every game in this shortened season schedule.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Cause it would cost the team $23 million and the quality of goalies available in 2013 is poor. Better to wait till 2014.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:39 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
As ugly as the numbers are for Bryz, I still think they have to go through next season with him and use the amnesty in the summer of 2014.

03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
As ugly as the numbers are for Bryz, I still think they have to go through next season with him and use the amnesty in the summer of 2014.
I agree with this. I think it makes the pill easier to swallow for Snider and Co. If that makes any sense.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:50 PM
budscweizer16

Send a message via AIM to budscweizer16
Jimmy Howard i feel is overrated, its moot anyway. they seem content with him.
No on Luongo. better than Bryz, but has the same flaws.
Thomas is to old.
Lack isnt getting dealt because Lou will be dealt eventually.
Bernier seems like a realistic choice, b/c as someone said, we do have a good relationship with LA.
I cant deal with another season of Bryz.
He needs to be gone at seasons end.
and idc if Bryz plays every game, he cant steal a game, which needs to happen when the team comes out flat. especially making that kinda money. He might be the worst goaltender ive ever seen in shootouts. Ryan Miller is an interesting option.

no1 has any thoughts on Anton Khudobon!?!?

budscweizer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:55 PM
budscweizer16

im tired of the excuses being made for Bryz. the goal to Henrique was brutal. the wrister from Nash was brutal in the NYR game, the Wrister along the ice from Kessel was brutal. The d is depleted, and Schenn was out, but enough with the excuses.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by budscweizer16 View Post
Jimmy Howard i feel is overrated, its moot anyway. they seem content with him.
No on Luongo. better than Bryz, but has the same flaws.
Thomas is to old.
Lack isnt getting dealt because Lou will be dealt eventually.
Bernier seems like a realistic choice, b/c as someone said, we do have a good relationship with LA.
I cant deal with another season of Bryz.
He needs to be gone at seasons end.
and idc if Bryz plays every game, he cant steal a game, which needs to happen when the team comes out flat. especially making that kinda money. He might be the worst goaltender ive ever seen in shootouts. Ryan Miller is an interesting option.

no1 has any thoughts on Anton Khudobon!?!?
Anton has never been a #1 and I don't think he ever will be. Also, did you see the last Bruins-Pens game? Yeah... Anton wouldn't do any better than Bryz considering he couldn't stop two semi-breakaways from Sutter.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:59 PM
budscweizer16

his career stats arent bad, I know its kindof an outside the box solution. But he couldnt be any worse than Bryz, and I think hes got poetntial. Not to mention the B's want Danny.