HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burnside/espn.com article: Rich Clune

Old
03-14-2013, 11:20 AM
preds1

vCash: 500
Saw these floating around Twitter. Thought they were pretty good.....

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

the bottom pic would be cool if it were in Dallas and not STL where he potted his first....

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Clune has to pick his spots better. He's a decent fighter he just keeps fighting guys that are legit fighters, which he's not, he's a pest like Tootoo. FWIW, he did better against Brown than Tootoo did.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:05 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Clune has to pick his spots better. He's a decent fighter he just keeps fighting guys that are legit fighters, which he's not, he's a pest like Tootoo. FWIW, he did better against Brown than Tootoo did.
brown didnt connect on toots like he did clune. clune's face is still showing it. brown just went out like a bat out of hell then fell when toots was about to throw. toots did the honorable thing and didnt throw with an opponent down. brown won that on just going crazy and falling. every clune fight is like the brown one.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
brown didnt connect on toots like he did clune. clune's face is still showing it. brown just went out like a bat out of hell then fell when toots was about to throw. toots did the honorable thing and didnt throw with an opponent down. brown won that on just going crazy and falling. every clune fight is like the brown one.
Clune did get a few in on brown though, especially early and 1 late. Tootoo didn't get anything in, and Tootoo we all know has no problem swinging at someone when they're down.

I don't think Clune is as good of a fighter as Tootoo but the difference isn't all that much. His problem has been who he's fighting, all are legit fighters. Tootoo rarely had fights against legit fighters, Clune needs to follow that method.

Let's look at hockeyfights fight card for Clune

Zenon Konopka 59.6%
Draw 34.8%

Konopka has not lost a fight yet this season. Had 18 fighting majors last season, legit fighter.

Next fight Ryan Reaves

Draw 67.6%
Rich Clune 24.3%
Ryan Reaves 8.1%

Reaves has only 1 loss in fights this season and had 13 fights last season.

next fight was against Chipchura

Draw 73.0%
Kyle Chipchura 22.2%
Rich Clune 4.8%

This is more his class but Chipchura wanted to hug more than fight.

Next up Clifford

Kyle Clifford 57.7%
Draw 34.6%
Rich Clune 7.7%

Clifford is a decent figher, again should be a decent match-up with Clune

Next Andrew Shaw

Rich Clune 50.0%
Draw 47.1%
Andrew Shaw 2.9%

Shaw isn't a fighter and didn't really want to fight Clune, he locked on and held tight.

And Mike Brown we've talked about....

Old
03-14-2013, 01:35 PM
NoNecksCurse

konopka lost to maroon or whoever didnt he? i agree clune fights guys he shouldnt but if not him, then who? it has to be him.. fighters around the league probably lick their chops fighting him.. like I said, he is growing on me but he really sucks at fighting.. he has played good hockey though. and i think clune and toots have fought before. believe it was an uneventful draw..

Old
03-14-2013, 01:36 PM
thecloser

I think Clune should get more respect in the fighting department. Maybe he's not purely beating down guys but he takes it to the next level when his teammates are getting "picked" on.

He fights anyone because like he said on 102.5 he's not afraid of anyone. He'll probably get better but he deserves alot of credit for going against guys like Konopka and Reeves. And did you see Mike Brown afterward? He was cut pretty nicely as well.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
konopka lost to maroon or whoever didnt he? i agree clune fights guys he shouldnt but if not him, then who? it has to be him.. fighters around the league probably lick their chops fighting him.. like I said, he is growing on me but he really sucks at fighting.. he has played good hockey though. and i think clune and toots have fought before. believe it was an uneventful draw..
I think the fight with Maroon was voted a draw.

I disagree with him be a terrible fighter, he's a decent middleweight but he can actually play hockey unlike guys that actually fight like Boll or McGratton.

He did fight Tootoo, decent scrap too.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Nashville Transplant

I just like that you're talking about the guy I moved here from LA on the same day the Preds picked him up from Manchester, and I watched post after post just malign the crap out of the guy. I didn't save all of them in the cache, but like so many LA posters, just a bunch of bandwagoners and hypocrites who don't know a whole lot about what makes a coach or a GM like a player. I don't think Rich Clune is ever going to be a "star," but these past couple of months he has made himself a far more effective hockey player in the NHL than any naysayer would have given him credit for.

Meanwhile, I love this city, I love the arena and the fans, and the atmosphere that surrounds the team. I just hope Rinne gets hot like Quickie did, and I get to see this team do just what the Kings did... look like they couldn't score to save their lives, make a key trade that shifts a few things around, and then... well, I won't say on to the cup, but I will say on to a good run in the post-season

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
I just like that you're talking about the guy I moved here from LA on the same day the Preds picked him up from Manchester, and I watched post after post just malign the crap out of the guy. I didn't save all of them in the cache, but like so many LA posters, just a bunch of bandwagoners and hypocrites who don't know a whole lot about what makes a coach or a GM like a player. I don't think Rich Clune is ever going to be a "star," but these past couple of months he has made himself a far more effective hockey player in the NHL than any naysayer would have given him credit for.

Meanwhile, I love this city, I love the arena and the fans, and the atmosphere that surrounds the team. I just hope Rinne gets hot like Quickie did, and I get to see this team do just what the Kings did... look like they couldn't score to save their lives, make a key trade that shifts a few things around, and then... well, I won't say on to the cup, but I will say on to a good run in the post-season
I'm still 90% sure you're Rich Clune.

Anyways, awesome read. Well worth the time, and it has me rooting for for him. Go Clunatic!

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I have to admit, I didn't care much for him after his first 10 or so games. Lately though, he's stepped it up. I'd say the same about Goose too.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I have to admit, I didn't care much for him after his first 10 or so games. Lately though, he's stepped it up. I'd say the same about Goose too.
goose is officially made of glass though. plays his role very well but still overpaid.

and your right im probably cutting clune's fighting abilities a little short. he isnt horrible but id say he is a little below average. his personality on the ice lately makes up for it.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:02 PM
dubgeek

I think we tend to forget how green he is. Prior to this season he had a total of 14 NHL games, all over 2 years ago. If he continues to develop as he has through this season (and stays clean) he's going to end up being quite a step up from Tootoo.

Reading that article and listening to the 102.5 interview it sounds like the jaw injury and wearing the mask were a blessing in disguise for him as it really got him out of the mindset that the only reason he was here was to fight.

I don't think he should be considered an enforcer, but he fits nicely in the middleweight agitator role.

dubgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'm still 90% sure you're Rich Clune.
so you're 10% right

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:43 PM
glenngineer

The Avery comparison is interesting but I'm hoping he turns out to be like Steve Ott. I see a lot of similarities starting to happen there and if he can move up and play like that on the third line, we've got a guy who can bang and get it done on the ice. Nothing wrong with that.

Great story. Big time courage on his part to ask for the help. I think we sometimes forget these guys are people like all of us and they all have baggage, some more than others. Great to see he focused on himself. He's a guy that you can't help but root for. I hope he keeps it up and growing as a player. He's already grown as a person.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:55 AM
maplepred

Great read! I love clune!! Already happier with him than I was ever with tootoo!
So glad he has got a chance here worn us and is killin it!
Good on ya Rich!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:31 AM
BagHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Wow I had no idea; good for him. I was all over the "Clune sucks" bandwagon early on, but as far as I am concerned, he has earned his current roster spot. I think he is as energetic as Tootoo was and seems to actually have a slightly higher offensive ceiling.
Agreed, but be honest. Now that Toots is a Red Wing, you can't help but hate him, yeah? The Red Wings are ALMOST worse than the Blackhawks.

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:43 AM
loobarlow

Send a message via AIM to loobarlow
:'(

Great story. Rich Clune is, no matter what, on my personal radar now.

loobarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
so you're 10% right
I don't know think we might need you to post a msg when he's live on the Ice ^_^

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote