HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Realistic Goaltending Options at this point?

Old
03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Anton has 13 games over 4 different seasons and he's 26. Honestly, I think Bob proved he did more with less than Anton. Also, in every season he's played, he's played for a team that has a very good system and a very good defense.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:05 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Let me start with the agreement that Bryz should be amnestied either this off season or next (provided Snyder is willing to part with ~ $25 mill).

However, this team has huge problems that are not going to be sloved by purely goalkeeper replacement. This team is not only a Lundquist or Kipper away from being a good contending team.

Getting another goalie wiyhout solving other systemic issues would be like treating brain cancer with headache meds.

If the Flyers just replace a goalie, I would expect this thread to reapper next season.
I agree. Fix the system as a whole as step 1, and see what the results are. Holmgren has next year's buyout to solve the Bryz problem if he is as mediocre as he has been for his 1.5 seasons here.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:06 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

As much as it sucks, I think we need to readopt the stopgap thing, signing goalies to 1-3 year deals until someone like Stolarz is ready.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
As much as it sucks, I think we need to readopt the stopgap thing, signing goalies to 1-3 year deals until someone like Stolarz is ready.
Regardless of age and skill. I think sticking to signing goalies to shorter terms should be a must do under the new CBA.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Might as well. Bryz has become another stopgap...except we lost our best goaltending prospect before that became clear.

03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a guy like backstrom for a 2-3 year deal after this season to bridge the gap until we know if Stolarz is the real deal or not, then we can decide where to go from there.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a guy like backstrom for a 2-3 year deal after this season to bridge the gap until we know if Stolarz is the real deal or not, then we can decide where to go from there.
Just saying, Backstrom would be a 35+ contract and would still command at LEAST 4 million. Even if we did get him, it's one step in the right direction, but won't fix the stupid **** our team as a whole is doing.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:19 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Just saying, Backstrom would be a 35+ contract and would still command at LEAST 4 million. Even if we did get him, it's one step in the right direction, but won't fix the stupid **** our team as a whole is doing.
Yeah completely agreed.

I've just always been a fan of backstrom. The guy is a hard worker and is very consistent. He's not a highlight reel world stopping goalie but he's solid and gets the job done.

I really want to see laviolette go. Not because I think he's the issue, and not because I'm blaming the season on him entirely, I'm just personally not a fan of the system he preaches. I never have been. I tolerated it when we were winning and got to the finals but recently I've just been reminded of why I don't like these types of systems.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:23 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Yeah completely agreed.

I've just always been a fan of backstrom. The guy is a hard worker and is very consistent. He's not a highlight reel world stopping goalie but he's solid and gets the job done.

I really want to see laviolette go. Not because I think he's the issue, and not because I'm blaming the season on him entirely, I'm just personally not a fan of the system he preaches. I never have been. I tolerated it when we were winning and got to the finals but recently I've just been reminded of why I don't like these types of systems.
I think it's more that with the players the Flyers have right now, they aren't buying into his system too much. And if they dig into it too much (too many defensemen pinching), it can really kill the team. High risk, high reward isn't my type of thing, especially when the team acts like ****ing ******** doing it.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
I amazed with this group's expectations for Stolarz. Has he shown a definite ability to be a # 1 goalie, or we just hoping that he is going to be "the savior"?

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I amazed with this group's expectations for Stolarz. Has he shown a definite ability to be a # 1 goalie, or we just hoping that he is going to be "the savior"?
He has the potential but that's pretty much all it is at this point. He's playing pretty well in the OHL right now. He has a lot of tools that you can't teach.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-14-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Same expectations with Sunshine. Fans are just overly hopeful.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
That's what I am saying, we have to have some faith in our ability to draft a competent goaltender. It has seriously been 30 some years since we've done that. I'm not saying Stolarz is the answer, but for the love of God you have to at least give him a chance.

JDinklage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
mantis toboggan

I'm probably in the minority but I'd give bryz one more year to prove himself in a full 82 game season. Hes been bad this year no doubt but so has the rest of the team. We will most likely be better next year so lets give him one more shot. who knows maybe he plays great with a better team in front of him. Get Ben bishop to back him up. Send leighton to the moon.

mantis toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Tripod

Agree with Bryz. Give him a CHANCE to play well with a goaltender friendly system.
Look at Toronto. Their "new" system has changed around the team and made their goalies more reliable.

This last game...of UTMOST importance...we give up a 2-1 45 seconds into the game because we are trying to pinch at the blue line. Also...LET THE GOALIE HAVE THE SHOOTER. How many times is there a 2-1 where the pass gets thru to the open player with a open net available. Simple hockey plays, yet we are not doing it.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:33 PM
bbcelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Agree with Bryz. Give him a CHANCE to play well with a goaltender friendly system.
Look at Toronto. Their "new" system has changed around the team and made their goalies more reliable.

This last game...of UTMOST importance...we give up a 2-1 45 seconds into the game because we are trying to pinch at the blue line. Also...LET THE GOALIE HAVE THE SHOOTER. How many times is there a 2-1 where the pass gets thru to the open player with a open net available. Simple hockey plays, yet we are not doing it.

This
And of course a serviceable backup! Its all we need

bbcelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

I've wanted Ben Bishop since he was stuck in St. louis and their AHL team. He's a good goalie, who's big and has some athletic ability for a big goalie. Not expensive either, but Ottawa would probably want a 2nd or 3rd pick + a prospect maybe?

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
GTopCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogenIsTheMan View Post
I'm probably in the minority but I'd give bryz one more year to prove himself in a full 82 game season. Hes been bad this year no doubt but so has the rest of the team. We will most likely be better next year so lets give him one more shot. who knows maybe he plays great with a better team in front of him. Get Ben bishop to back him up. Send leighton to the moon.
I think they ruined Bryz this season by not having any kind of competent backup. At the beginning of the season he was the only reason why we were in half the games but they just ended up wearing him out. I'm interested to see how he is after we have the 6 day break.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:26 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
He's definitely shown ability to be a #1. I'll be honest, I'm one of Stolarz's biggest fans. He received a ringing endorsement from Bill Dark, the goaltending coach of the London Knights in the OHL. Dark has said on numerous occasions that Stolarz is the most athletically gifted goaltender he's ever worked with and he's got a work ethic second to none. On top of it, he also said that Stolarz is incredibly intelligent and very coachable. He's been fantastic since going to the OHL (yes, he's on a fantastic London team, but he's certainly carried his own weight) and he's improved every game he's played in.

That isn't to say that Stolarz doesn't have issues overall, but he's been one of the better goaltenders since going to the OHL and he's probably going to be in London for another year and then off to the AHL for a couple of seasons. The Flyers are developing Stolarz properly and it's expected he'll be on a five year development course and they aren't rushing that. Don Luce has been very hands on in terms of Stolarz's development and he's not having the plan changed.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:44 PM
mantis toboggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTopCheese View Post
I think they ruined Bryz this season by not having any kind of competent backup. At the beginning of the season he was the only reason why we were in half the games but they just ended up wearing him out. I'm interested to see how he is after we have the 6 day break.
Agreed. He was our mvp at the beginning of the season and we were playing even worse then we are now. Very interested to see how he plays after the break.

mantis toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 12000
I won't lie, it's a bit of a pipe dream of mine to see Timmy T in Orange & Black. On the flip side, the idea of signing Ryan "Mass Murder" Miller, however remote and unlikely, still causes me to lose my ****, drop on the floor and do the Curly Shuffle right there on the spot.

I defy you to find another hockey player as dumb, whiny and entitled as Ryan Miller.

Last edited by Yukon Cornelius: 03-14-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Hockey player is his own breed. Plenty of yo-yo boys out there
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
I won't lie, it's a bit of a pipe dream of mine to see Timmy T in Orange & Black. On the flip side, the idea of signing Ryan "Mass Murder" Miller, however remote and unlikely, still causes me to lose my ****, drop on the floor and do the Curly Shuffle right there on the spot.

I defy you to find another athlete as dumb, whiny and entitled as Ryan Miller.
Terrell Owens.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

I defy you to find another athlete as dumb, whiny and entitled as Ryan Miller.
I never noticed until that series 2 years ago. I can't hate the guy though simply for what he did in the Olympics 3 years ago for USA. But I will agree he's a whiner.

But what about this guy? Same sport.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:52 PM
GTopCheese

Quote:

I defy you to find another hockey player as dumb, whiny and entitled as Ryan Miller.
He got even worse after that Lucic hit too.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by budscweizer16 View Post
Bryz will be bought out, its pretty plain to see. This teams lack of success is not entirely his fault, but what are some realistic options?
here are my thoughts.

Pipe Dream: (Price is to high to acquire)
Cory Schnieder
Ryan Miller(seems disenchatned with Buffalo)
Michael Neuvirth(behind Holtby on depth chart)
Jonathan Bernier
Mike Smith(Seems like he has the pedigree to be a flyer, but leary of another Phoenix system goaltender)
Jake Allen

Might not be starter Material:
Josh Harding
Jhonas Enroth
Al Montoya
Ben Bishop

Options:
Robin Lehner(dont know much about him?)
Brian Elliot(good Team D, might make him look longer then he is, prob a great backup tho)
Anton Khudobon (trade Briere for Anton, a pick, and a low end prospect) I remember him standing on his head against us in Minny. young, inexpensive, also in a good system, but I think hes got some talent.

Thoughts?
Schnieder - I don't see him being traded, and even if it is I shutter to think of the cost considering what they wanted for Luongo this off season.
Miller - No thanks. Don't see him working here, and I don't see the Flyers giving up what they would want for him.
Neuvirth - I just don't think he's that good. But considering how things are going I'd take him if he were cheap enough to get.
Bernier - Would love to get him, but Quick hasn't been as good as this season and he's been playing a lot. I think Quick might actually be the one to go if they trade a goalie. I might be interested in him at the right price.
Smith - He is just Bryz 2.0. His success is entierly related to Dave Tippett's coaching. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 meter cattle prod.
Allen - He's the Blues goalie of the future. I doubt they move him.

Harding - As noted by other health problems.
Enroth - I doubt they movie him and would probably be very costly to acquire.
Montoya - We already have bad/mediocre goalies.
Bishop - Again not that good, but if we had a young goalie being groomed or something he'd be an alright stop gap.

Lehner - I doubt he is available, he's the Sens goalie of the future.
Elliot - Not that good.
Khudobon - Not that good.

Last edited by whatthef: 03-14-2013 at 05:09 PM.
whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote