HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If we are hovering around the 8th spot in 2 weeks what will we do?

View Poll Results: If we are really in contention to make the playoffs what do you see happening?
Stand Pat 27 41.54%
Add some help 24 36.92%
Still dump salary 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-14-2013, 11:34 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

vCash: 500
I wouldn't really like the deal to much considering our weakness is defense but Phili is looking for a puck-moving defenseman (Viz) and Daniel Briere is a cap hit of 6.5 mill for the next 2 years but ACTUALLY makes 3 mill and 2 mill respectively the next 2 years. The Briere contract is right up Wang's alley and his continued battle with getting to the cap floor while paying the least amount of actual money he can. Viz is probably a 50-50 change of coming back anyway this off-season.

Again not a fan of moving Viz but it would get us a legit #2 center and for a guy that we may loose anyway not to mention the "atractive" contract that Briere has currently.

Just a thought

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:39 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
I wouldn't really like the deal to much considering our weakness is defense but Phili is looking for a puck-moving defenseman (Viz) and Daniel Briere is a cap hit of 6.5 mill for the next 2 years but ACTUALLY makes 3 mill and 2 mill respectively the next 2 years. The Briere contract is right up Wang's alley and his continued battle with getting to the cap floor while paying the least amount of actual money he can. Viz is probably a 50-50 change of coming back anyway this off-season.

Again not a fan of moving Viz but it would get us a legit #2 center and for a guy that we may loose anyway not to mention the "atractive" contract that Briere has currently.

Just a thought
I like it. It makes us stronger if we can get a solid defensive defenseman to replace Viz and have Line 2 hold the puck in the offensive zone better. It gets Nielson on line 3 which helps....resulting in fewer GA's.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I'd like to see Bailey tried on wing on line 1 but....he HAS TO SHOOT. The defense would improve greatly. Martin? I don't think the offense improves. I think we have a little more toughness protecting JT and MM but I don't think it helps enough. I would still like to see it as Martin works very hard and he IS killing penalties. He just has to change his game defensively, being the first one back but getting in on the rush.

Honestly the solution is out there.....but Snow has to acquire it via trade.

Well, unless Boston puts Lucic on waivers?
How about Chris Stewart from StL?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418158

They apparently are looking for a d-man, and note that they have Pietrangelo (RH) and Shattenkirk (RH) as PP pointmen. Makes you think they could use a lefty. Vis plus another major asset (Okposo) get it done? From the Isles perspective I'd do that in a nanosecond, which means StL would not. Vis + Nino?

Snow should certainly make a call. That's exactly the kind of player the Isles need, and it's a deal they should make whether they're in the playoff race or not. Then send Boyes somewhere for a 4th rounder. We need Luca Brazi on JT's wing, and instead we have Fredo.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I like it. It makes us stronger if we can get a solid defensive defenseman to replace Viz and have Line 2 hold the puck in the offensive zone better. It gets Nielson on line 3 which helps....resulting in fewer GA's.
If this were to happen, I would see what it would take to replace Viz with Ryan Whitney...Shouldn't cost a ton. I know I'm asking a lot (2 trades) at the deadline but both of these moves are not pie-in-the-sky type of moves, this can be done and we would be a better team this year and next year for it.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:46 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
How about Chris Stewart from StL?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418158

They apparently are looking for a d-man, and note that they have Pietrangelo (RH) and Shattenkirk (RH) as PP pointmen. Makes you think they could use a lefty. Vis plus another major asset (Okposo) get it done? From the Isles perspective I'd do that in a nanosecond, which means StL would not. Vis + Nino?

Snow should certainly make a call. That's exactly the kind of player the Isles need, and it's a deal they should make whether they're in the playoff race or not. Then send Boyes somewhere for a 4th rounder. We need Luca Brazi on JT's wing, and instead we have Fredo.
Maybe with Viz and Nino we could get a defensive prospect like Beukeboom back as well? Throw in Boyes.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:17 PM
SpeedDemon

let's analyze

the offense

Tavares and Moulson- arguably 1 and 2 on the team and long term future. staying

Nielsen- best call center the Isles have. plays in all situations, plays against other teams top players, a master of the shootout. Stays

Grabner- long term investment after rookie year. great speed but lacks the finish. still important on the PK- I say stays

Bailey- took a while to get his game. Not a big return possible so I'd say stays.

Okposo- poor performance so far. doubt they'll be any takers especially given his contract. most likely stays. won't fetch more than a few picks/minor leaguers.

Boyes- pending UFA. 21 points in 26 games. could fetch a 2nd or 3rd if contending team desperate enough. I'd say Trade Bait.

McDonald, Cizikas, Martin- all staying put.

Boulton- would anyone take a player who does nothing but fight.

Reasoner-with emergence of McDonald and Cizikas I'd say he's the odd man out given the right return

Ullstrom- stays

Aucoin- good start in first week hasn't cracked the line up since. I say stays

the Defense
Hamonic and MacDonald- the heart of the Isles D (despite their lackluster play against the Pens). staying put.

Streit- has statedhe wants to remain with the team. Veteran presence required on the blue line. I say stays

Visnovsky- pending UFA. Might want to return to europe to be closer to his family. could get a 2nd rounder or prospect but not much more, I say either traded or walks.

Hickey- has proven he is NHL caliber D-man. stays

Strait and Carkner- both injured long term. staying until healthy at least

Finley- size and physical play liked by coaching staff. I say stays

Martinek- If Donovan or Ness are ready to step up full-time might be traded but not until start or midpoint of next season. Most likely staying

the net
Nabokov- 37 years old and aging. well past his prime. Back up capability at best. If Thomas is serious about returning and if Nilsson can regain the flash of brilliance shown in his two games against Jersey and show that for a number of games I'd say Nabby goes.

DiPietro- buyout

as a result

Most likely departures
Boyes
Visnovsky
Reasoner

Possible departures
Nabokov
Okposo

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
DPSNAGS

If im Snow, I try to do everything I can to keep Vis and Streit...Boyes i would like to keep if were close so we dont tank b.c i dont think he has much trade value...Id trade reasoner for a 7th rounder so a young guy could play honestly.

I believe Streit will stay and Garth will do what he can to keep Vis. If these guys both sign extensions then i see Garth either making a splash at the deadline or in Free Agency.

IMO, the lockout season of 2013 is the season where we stop being bottom dwellers and people around the league are starting to notice we have something going here. Most of it is John Tavares but hey ill take it haha

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:24 PM
duster19

Just to play devils advocate, but do the Isles really need to out another big time scoring threat on JTs line? That line has produced. Why not address the weakness of that line: keeping the puck out our net and having a physical/offensive zone presence. Maybe find someone who is responsible and brings some grit to that line? It could be a cheaper solution and see a similar result. Maybe that big time winger could be used on the 2nd line to try and drum up some secondary scoring?

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:37 PM
ziggy7716

Nokelainen was put on waivers. I would much rather him then Reasoner.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:48 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post

Just a thought
The problem is Briere's NTC or NMC. I foget which he has. How do you get him to waive it for the NYI?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...e-the-playoffs

Not going to be the bearer of bad news but these Isles aren't closing on a 15-7 tear.

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Regardless of what he does it will be the wrong move to most of the people on here...

Scenario A: "Why did we hold on to these players to make a playoff push and still come up short. We should have known we sucked and just traded them for draft picks instead of losing them for nothing"

Scenario B: "We finally had a chance to get some playoff experience, but instead cleaned house and hoped for a high draft pick"

Scenario C: "Why did we hold on to these players to make the playoffs when we knew we would just get blown out in the first round. What a joke"

Whiners anyway you look at it...

Or Scenario D.... he actually tries to improve this team at the deadline to make that push and not either 1. sell or 2. stand pat.

I think that's the issue here.... we ain't seen that since Ryan Smyth, what 5 years ago???

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:01 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Just to play devils advocate, but do the Isles really need to out another big time scoring threat on JTs line? That line has produced. Why not address the weakness of that line: keeping the puck out our net and having a physical/offensive zone presence. Maybe find someone who is responsible and brings some grit to that line? It could be a cheaper solution and see a similar result. Maybe that big time winger could be used on the 2nd line to try and drum up some secondary scoring?
THey need to add another big time scoring threat period. I don't care if he plays on a line with friggin' Marty Reasoner.

Give this team some form of balance.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The poster stated that the isles will have trouble moving Okposo because his salary is going up. I pointed out that Snow's reportedly gotten plenty of KO offers this season, but Snow's passing on them because he thinks they are lowball offers.

The guy then says Snow's overvaluing Okposo. How can anyone accuse Snow of overvaluing Okposo, when we don't know what was offered? I choose to believe Snow has a better idea of what's being offered, what's fair, over message board fans who (based on what gut feelings?), think Snow's asking for too much.
What value does he even have, realistically? He's not built for the checking unit... maybe energy line at this point? A really good energy line player who injures out more than the average player?

A 3rd rounder? No doubt Snow wants a first for Kyle. Yes, I don't have verifiable facts for that to show you, but his history seems to revolve around asking for firsts. If that is the case, then we will never move him. I don't even like him as an energy line player.

He just kind of sucks bad at this point. When the contract starts to get steeper, he will be an unmovable eyesore.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:10 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIsles View Post

Not going to be the bearer of bad news but these Isles aren't closing on a 15-7 tear.
His logistics are for guaranteeing a spot playing at 8 games above .500 for the Isles, but I'm just thinking about getting in.

I think we will have to play 4 or 5 games over .500 without too many OT losses (and who those OT losses are against factor a lot.)

One win down, about 12/13 more to go...

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:26 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIsles View Post

I am guessing it will be more a race to 52 or 53(54 at highest)

Looking at Current standings here is what teams are on pace for

7. Toronto - 53.14
8. Winnipeg - 53.33
9. Rangers - 51.69

Realistically the Islanders will have to go 6-4(or some combination of 12 points) or better in the next 10 games else they should become sellers

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:59 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I am guessing it will be more a race to 52 or 53(54 at highest)

Looking at Current standings here is what teams are on pace for

7. Toronto - 53.14
8. Winnipeg - 53.33
9. Rangers - 51.69

Realistically the Islanders will have to go 6-4(or some combination of 12 points) or better in the next 10 games else they should become sellers
With 21 games left a run like 12-6-3 would get the Islanders into the playoffs.

They are on a 4-1-1 streak in their last six.

They'd have to go 4-2-1 THREE STRAIGHT TIMES to end the year. Seem doable?

There are just so many teams bunched together, somebody will get points all the time since they only play each other. I understand three points out (5 pts out of 6th) seems like nothing but the extra points in OT make "objects in mirror appear closer than they really are"

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:14 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
There are so many teams tightly bunched that the season may hinge on a couple of things:

*the ability to get points in the "3 point" OT games, even if it's a SO loss. Regulation losses are killers;

*Carolina and Winnipeg have an advantage playing (presumably without checking the sched) games against TB, FLA and WASH down the stretch.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
There are so many teams tightly bunched that the season may hinge on a couple of things:

*the ability to get points in the "3 point" OT games, even if it's a SO loss. Regulation losses are killers;

*Carolina and Winnipeg have an advantage playing (presumably without checking the sched) games against TB, FLA and WASH down the stretch.
Adding to the first point, we badly need games we are not playing in to end in regulation (like yesterday's Rags/Peg game).

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Follow this logic....if you have a #3 Center on line 2, a 2nd line winger on line 1, a need for a better foreward on line 1, add that winger and right the 2nd line center situation. Noe if you get a #2 C, you right the third line center situation. We have to attack the issues at the top but.....

Snow is only adding mud bricks to the basement of the lineup.

The team NEEDS an elite or top winger for line 1......and to help line 2.......which would help line 3.