HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ben Eager - *CLEARED*

Old
03-14-2013, 11:15 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I just don't see where that gets us. Better the devil you know.
I guess that depends on whether or not the player being offered is someone we could use. Someone like Elliot from the Blues (not that I want him).

I'm not saying it'll happen, but players clearing waivers then being traded shortly thereafter does happen enough for it to at least be a possibility.

03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
WEll there goes the "Eager is a good free agent signing that several teams would have had interest in" theory.

Which was actually stated often here by Tambo supporters who liked the Eager signing and Barker signing and any other assorted dreck the cat dragged in.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Sheeshta

It's not surprising at all that he cleared. He's being paid over a million bucks and was arguably the worst player in the league this season (Petrell is worse 5on5 but contributes to the pk). Whether or not that's his true value as a hockey player, his performance this year on the team he's on was astoundingly bad.

Sheeshta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
We, as Oiler fans, overvalue our players big time. With both Hordi and Eager clearing, it really shows you the kind of work Tambo has been doing. Belanger would probably clear waivers too. Meaning the offseason of 2012 was truly horrible. This team has one of the worst bottom 6 in the league. Some major changes need to be made, and I think it should start with Tambo.
They were coonsidered good signings by the majority of the hockey world in 2011. Tambo is no better at predicting the future than anyone else. If he was he would just spend a buck a week to win the lottery....not the draft one either

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:21 AM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Would anyone deal for him if they could have got him for nothing?
Yes, happens all the time. Most recently mcgrattan and kassian. Could be contract # or timing. If a tough guy gets hurt tommorow they might come call Edmonton for a trade(what Ottawa did).

stoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Sheeshta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
This team has one of the worst bottom 6 in the league.
We have the worst bottom 6 in the league bar none. It's not even debatable. Smyth, Belanger, Eager, and Petrell wouldn't get ice time on any other team in the league. Having four of those dudes (plus Brown, Vandevelde and Hordichuk at the start of the year) on the same team is like all-time gong-show awful.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:27 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
It's not surprising at all that he cleared. He's being paid over a million bucks and was arguably the worst player in the league this season (Petrell is worse 5on5 but contributes to the pk). Whether or not that's his true value as a hockey player, his performance this year on the team he's on was astoundingly bad.
Says who? the same stats that can be used to say that Horcoff>Crosby??

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:28 AM
stoff

Quote:
We have the worst bottom 6 in the league bar none. It's not even debatable. Smyth, Belanger, Eager, and Petrell wouldn't get ice time on any other team in the league. Having four of those dudes (plus Brown, Vandevelde and Hordichuk at the start of the year) on the same team is like all-time gong-show awful.
It's better now.

Prv gags yak
Petrell smyth brown

When Belanger is back smyth Belanger brown is not a bad 4th line.

stoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:29 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I'm surprised he cleared. Hopefully he can get 100% healthy and turn it around

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
The 5on5 shot differential, amongst other stats.

No one wants to buy a lame horse.

Last edited by Psycho Dad: 03-14-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
They were coonsidered good signings by the majority of the hockey world in 2011. Tambo is no better at predicting the future than anyone else. If he was he would just spend a buck a week to win the lottery....not the draft one either
That's his friggin job. Good gms make decisions that work out. Bad ones make ones that do not work out. Trotting out the above comment instantly absolves every gm who ever lived of any responsibility.

How was Mike Milbrry supposed to know that his 10 biggest moves would all be flops? It's not is fault!

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Sheeshta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Sure, stats argue that he's pretty bad, but there's also the fact that he was waived by one of the worst teams in the league and not picked up, so "not good enough to play on any team, not even the spectacularly bad one that's already paying him" is a pretty good argument for him being pretty ******* bad

Aside from the stats you mentioned, anyway.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Sheeshta

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
It's better now.

Prv gags yak
Petrell smyth brown

It's better with Eager gone, but Smyth Belanger Brown is a really really bad 4th line. The Oilers aren't bad because the top two lines are bad. They're bad because our bottom pairing defence and the players that rotate in and out of lines 3 and 4 are among the very very worst in the league.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Pennertration

I'm not a Eager hater. Far from it - I think he can be an effective player. But I also think it's obvious that concussions have pretty much ended his career.

Critics here blast him for not fighting recently, which I think is ridiculous. I don't blame any player for ditching that aspect of his game after multiple concussions.

I guess you could blame Tambo for signing him, although this team has been in dire need of toughness for a while and if Eager doesn't suffer his recent series of concussions he could've been a beast (as he was). Pretty short memories, as well, because when Eager was chipping and chasing this season and laying the body on people he was an effective forechecker.

All that said, Brown is a massive upgrade on Eager. But I'm sure Brown and Tambo detractors will point out how useless he is by season's end.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Does this mean my ben eager oilers shirt is no good anymore? Yeah I actually bought that, had a store credit at jersey city and it was the only oilers player shirt in my size haha.

Samwise Gagner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
I agree with you. The people who over the top criticize the signing now are the same ones who now say Tambo is an idiot for signing him (thats me).
However, the problem is, Tambo is actually theoretically an expert & paid to not make these screwups. In his defense somewhat, the concussion may have really effected things for Eager.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
It's better with Eager gone, but Smyth Belanger Brown is a really really bad 4th line. The Oilers aren't bad because the top two lines are bad. They're bad because our bottom pairing defence and the players that rotate in and out of lines 3 and 4 are among the very very worst in the league.
What on earth are you talking about?

The fourth line is on for less than 10 minutes EV a game, yet THEY'RE the ones causing the Oiler losses?

What a bunch of baloney.

Try proving it statistically or at least putting up other teams fourth lines for comparison.

The reason why the Oilers are bad is because the top six forwards is too young to handle heavy EV duties and the defense isn't good enough.

The Oilers bottom six IS bad, but to blame them solely for the Oilers standings is ridiculous.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
No better??? Tambo has NO ability to predict the future talent-skill level of hockey players. Heaven help us. With him (and his master) at the helm, this team has no hope other than to keep drafting bottom 5.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
It's better now.

Prv gags yak
Petrell smyth brown

This might be the worst 4th line in the NHL... Brown is a viable NHL 4th liner, Belanger and Smyth should join Ben Eager.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
I'm not a Eager hater. Far from it - I think he can be an effective player. But I also think it's obvious that concussions have pretty much ended his career.

Critics here blast him for not fighting recently, which I think is ridiculous. I don't blame any player for ditching that aspect of his game after multiple concussions.

I guess you could blame Tambo for signing him, although this team has been in dire need of toughness for a while and if Eager doesn't suffer his recent series of concussions he could've been a beast (as he was). Pretty short memories, as well, because when Eager was chipping and chasing this season and laying the body on people he was an effective forechecker.

All that said, Brown is a massive upgrade on Eager. But I'm sure Brown and Tambo detractors will point out how useless he is by season's end.
People here aren't blaming Eager for not fighting, it is a statement of fact. He can't be as effective due to concussions and/or other issues so someone took his job.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Mike Krushelnyski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
That's his friggin job. Good gms make decisions that work out. Bad ones make ones that do not work out. Trotting out the above comment instantly absolves every gm who ever lived of any responsibility.

How was Mike Milbrry supposed to know that his 10 biggest moves would all be flops? It's not is fault!
Probably because most of Milbury's deals were pretty much universally panned the moment he made them or at the very least, most "analysts" couldn't figure out why he made the moves he did a la Luongo/Dipietro.

Not making any excuses for Tambo whatsoever, but it's one thing to make a bad move from the get go, and another thing entirely to make a move that most people believe is the right move at the time, only to have it not pan out.

Mike Krushelnyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Sheeshta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
What on earth are you talking about?

The fourth line is on for less than 10 minutes EV a game, yet THEY'RE the ones causing the Oiler losses?

What a bunch of baloney.

Try proving it statistically or at least putting up other teams fourth lines for comparison.

The reason why the Oilers are bad is because the top six forwards is too young to handle heavy EV duties and the defense isn't good enough.

The Oilers bottom six IS bad, but to blame them solely for the Oilers standings is ridiculous.
That's definitely the most argumentative way of interpreting what I said, which is of course your right as an internet hockey poster. But I'll explain what I meant:

What I mean is that the Oilers are a bad team, we know this. The kids are not ready, as you mentioned. The defence is not good as you (and I) mentioned. But the area wherein there is the biggest gulf of talent between the Oilers and a theoretical competitive team is in the players that play on our bottom pairing, and that are moved in and around the bottom six.

We need to improve everywhere, but in terms of the distance we have to go to improve, it's the role-players. We have by far the worst bottom six in the league.

As far as statistics go, six Oiler players (Eager, Petrell, Brown, Jones, Belanger and Vandevelde) are in the bottom 20 for Fenwick % among forwards. Out of 424 players, those guys are number 1, 2, 3, 9, 13 and 18th worst. That's... really, really bad.

Eberle, Hall and Paajarvi are all in the top third. Even Hopkins on an off season is in the middle of the pack.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Are you comparing a players skillset and ability and progression to be the exact same as random lottery numbers drawn?

Wow I wonder why anyone in sports ever gets fired it no ones fault right?

"Well I didn't know that playing Horcoff in net over Danis was gonna be any worse than just playing Danis, what gives?"

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
No better??? Tambo has NO ability to predict the future talent-skill level of hockey players. Heaven help us. With him (and his master) at the helm, this team has no hope other than to keep drafting bottom 5.
Your position has been clearly stated numerous times. There isn't one person making lame brained decisions, there are many ...seriously though if the Oilers franchise is not making good personel decisions then firing Tambellini, while appeasing everyones anger, does little to change the direction of scouting, player development, etc. A GM is only as good as his staff, Detroit's GM Holland looks like a genius because his european scouting helped in acquiring Datsyuk, Zetterburg, Fransen, etc. I think most would agree that the Oilers have missed the mark in supporting our aspiring young talent, the signings of Eager, Sutton, Belanger and Smyth all failed to provide the depth that they were signed for. I have no problem with the old boys club and most of the Oilers staff are smart hockey people. I don't care if the Oilers fire Lowe or Tambellini or both but for this franchise to be successful our scouting has to be much better. 1st overalls are no brainers but getting good secondary and depth players whether through FA, draft or trade is the mark of a good scouting staff.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
HMMM. His Master got us into the SCF!

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote