HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Realignment plan approved by Board of Governors

Old
03-14-2013, 03:52 PM
General Sather*

vCash: 500
Last time I will post on this topic unless someone brings up another point..but a previous poster asked who would choose a team based of uniforms? One of the most popular sports in the United States is college football. One because its pure passion, and two because its trendy. The Oregon Ducks are a classic example, marketing and uniforms have taken that program to the upper echelon of college football. One of the major talks of the program...uniforms. Kids actually commit to schools based off well...uniforms..and the connotation associated with the program.

General Sather* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
BOG has voted and approved realignment for next season. And good news on the Divisional names...

Quote:
Also..it seems that it's confirmed for three full seasons and not just two.
Quote:
@CraigCustance

NHL release notes new realignment & playoff system has received consent of the NHLPA for a minimum of 3 seasons through 2015-16.
Quote:
So he says...
Quote:
@NHLwiki

#NHL -- Gary bettman says #Redwings and #CBJ are moving East and there will be no changing them back. Period.

Let's assume Phoenix stays for a while. NHL decides to expand, Seattle and Houston get a team, assuming QC gets Phoenix the same year expansion happens. What about...

Division A
- Anaheim
- Calgary
- Colorado
- Edmonton
- Los Angeles
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Vancouver

Division B
- Chicago
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Houston
- Minnesota
- Nashville
- St. Louis
- Winnipeg

Division C
- Boston
- Buffalo
- Florida
- Montreal
- Ottawa
- Quebec City
- Tampa Bay
- Toronto

Division D
- Carolina
- Detroit
- New Jersey
- New York R.
- New York I.
- Philadelphia
- Pittsburgh
- Washington

Don't see Markham/Hamilton getting a team before these 3 cities. Doubt it'd matter enough to keep Columbus in the East, especially when their replacement is a Canadian team. Just something I'd be interested in seeing.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Quarter
Exploding Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Don't see Markham/Hamilton getting a team before these 3 cities. Doubt it'd matter enough to keep Columbus in the East, especially when their replacement is a Canadian team. Just something I'd be interested in seeing.
I agree with you completely. Southern Ontario is a long way away from getting an expansion/relocated franchise.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Clark4Ever

Florida and TB stick out like a sore thumb, but this will undoubtedly help both clubs financially. Overall, I like it.

I can't wait to renew the Toronto-Detroit rivalry. It made for some of my fondest childhood memories.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:02 PM
RegDunlop73

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
DET in the "east" feels wierd...also I like the wild card
That's strange...it seems perfectly logical over here in Vancouver.

RegDunlop73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
The sport has seemed to take off in Nashville over the past 2 years or so. I think right now the Preds are the bigger or at least equal the Titans. Part of that may be that the Preds have been performing better. I would say a large part of that is the marketing the Preds have been pushing over the past few years, they seem to be doing a good job at it.
I love the Predators, but this simply is not even close to true. The Titans dominate this market, football period dominates this market.

Predators have come a long long way but they're not taking over the NFL here, and that's the case with every NFL market including Detroit. Don't believe me? Pull the Neilson ratings and look at how big of a gap it is.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Wouldn't columbus and pittsburgh to Division D and the FLorida teams to Division C make more sense travel wise??
Yeah, but the NHL thinks the Pitt/Philly rivalry will last forever and needs to be preserved at all cost.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:07 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Let's assume Phoenix stays for a while. NHL decides to expand, Seattle and Houston get a team, assuming QC gets Phoenix the same year expansion happens. What about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
I agree with you completely. Southern Ontario is a long way away from getting an expansion/relocated franchise.
I agree that Seattle and Quebec City will surely get a team before any others, but I see no reason (more of a hockey culture/market) to put a team in Houston compared to a 2nd in Markham/Hamilton (all three cities have the business for it).

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:08 PM
mdak06
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Why aren't Columbus and Pittsburgh in Division C and Florida teams in Division D? Makes a lot more sense.
I think they wanted to keep Philly and Pittsburgh together. It also might have had something to do with Tampa Bay & Florida (esp. Florida) wanting higher-profile visitors (although I dunno).

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgonzola View Post
Here's my wacky idea:

Keep Division A and B and the Western Conference the way they are for timezone reasons.

Merge C and D into one Eastern Conference superdivision where the top 8 go into the playoffs.
I can't imagine the NHLPA would accept that much of a difference between the two. Right now, yes, it's 16 vs. 14 but the method of selection is still the same for both (and if in the future it's 16 vs. 16 it'll be evened out then).

As far as the potential 32-team divisions, I'd like the following:

A: Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Seattle (from Phoenix), San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Colorado
B: Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus, Ontario (in Markham)
C: Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Boston, New York I.
D: New York R., New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

I think that the Markham team should be put in the same division as Winnipeg, which gives more teams more visits to the Toronto area (and splitting the NYI and NYR gives more teams more visits to New York). It also gives Winnipeg another Canadian team in their division.

mdak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Quarter
Exploding Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I agree that Seattle and Quebec City will surely get a team before any others, but I see no reason (more of a hockey culture/market) to put a team in Houston compared to a 2nd in Markham/Hamilton (all three cities have the business for it).
To me, it's a combination of both how Bettman operates and the fact that MLSE will fight tooth and nail against the possibility of a second team in the Toronto area.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I love the Predators, but this simply is not even close to true. The Titans dominate this market, football period dominates this market.

Predators have come a long long way but they're not taking over the NFL here, and that's the case with every NFL market including Detroit. Don't believe me? Pull the Neilson ratings and look at how big of a gap it is.
I hear more people talking about the Predators than I do the Titans, I may just be in a minority group here then. Also add to that, the fact that the Titans don't have 9/9:30 pm start times for games to hamper their ratings, this may not be a big difference in the two but it doesn't hurt.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Preds33

Quote:

Division A
- Anaheim
- Calgary
- Colorado
- Edmonton
- Los Angeles
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Vancouver

Division B
- Chicago
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Houston
- Minnesota
- Nashville
- St. Louis
- Winnipeg

Division C
- Boston
- Buffalo
- Florida
- Montreal
- Ottawa
- Quebec City
- Tampa Bay
- Toronto

Division D
- Carolina
- Detroit
- New Jersey
- New York R.
- New York I.
- Philadelphia
- Pittsburgh
- Washington

Can Texas even support a second NHL team?

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Soble

As usual nothing is perfect, and the NHL has opened itself up to “sportsmanlike dumping” – ie losing a game purposely to improve your chances at the ultimate goal (best playoff matchup on way to Stanley Cup)

A
ANA 103
CAL 102
EDM 85
LA 84

B
CHI 107
COL 98
DAL 96
MIN 94
NASH 93

Last game of the season, ANA plays CAL. Guess what? If ANA wins, they then face 94 pt MIN. If ANA loses, they face 85 pt EDM. Of course ANA will say they are trying to win, but this is not good for anybody and the fault lies with the rules.

PS. At least they were aware enough to realize West teams playing 29 division games (5 games vs 5 teams, 4 games vs 1 team) mathematically will not work out with an odd number of teams. Hence the “exception - one team from each division plays one less game inside Division and one more game inside Conference outside Division”.

Soble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Can Texas even support a second NHL team?
Have no idea what the Houston fanbase would be like, but there's far more hockey fans here than people like to admit. It's all a matter of just getting them to a game. I'm more than biased when it comes to adding a Houston team though.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:31 PM
CKJohn

Ok so I got bored and decided to pick a random year from the past and plug them into the new format. For simplicity sake, I'm only going to list the playoff matchups as they stood. Here's what I got:

2007-2008
Div A Pts
1 San Jose Sharks 108
2 Anaheim Ducks 102
3 Calgary Flames 94
Edmonton Oilers 88
Vancouver Canucks 88
Phoenix Coyotes 83
Los Angeles Kings 71

Div B Pts
1 Minnesota Wild 98
2 Dallas Stars 97
3 Colorado Avalanche 95
Nashville Predators 91
Chicago Blackhawks 88
St. Louis Blues 79
Winnipeg Jets(Atl) 76

Div C Pts
Detroit Red Wings 115
Montreal Canadians 104
Ottawa Senators 94
Boston Bruins 94
Buffalo Sabres 90
Florida Panthers 85
Toronto Maple Leafs 83
Tampa Bay Lightning 71

Div D Pts
Pittsburgh Penguins 102
New Jersey Devils 99
New York Rangers 97
Philadelphia Flyers 95
Washington Capitals 94
Carolina Hurricanes 92
Columbus Blue Jacket 80
New York Islanders 79

Playoffs would have been: (WC=Wild Card 1 and 2)
East
Detroit Red Wings vs WC2 Washington Capitols
Pittsburgh Penguins vs WC1 Philadelphia Flyers
Montreal Canadians vs Ottawa Senators
New Jersey Devils vs New York Rangers

West
San Jose Sharks vs WC2 Edmonton Oilers
Minn Wild vs WC1 Nashville Preds
ANA Ducks vs Calgary Flames
DAL Stars vs Colorado Avs

Playoffs as they were:
1 Montreal Canadiens vs 8 Boston Bruins
2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs 7 Ottawa Senators
3 Washington Capitals vs 6 Philadelphia Flyers
4 New Jersey Devils vs 5 New York Rangers

1 Detroit Red Wings vs 8 Nashville Predators
2 San Jose Sharks vs 7 Calgary Flames
3 Minnesota Wild vs 6 Colorado Avalanche
4 Anaheim Ducks vs 5 Dallas Stars

Under this format, Edmonton makes the playoffs while Boston doesn't. I chalk this up mainly to the east vs west teams moving, but other than that, its quite similar as far as which teams make the playoffs

Last edited by CKJohn: 03-14-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: posted too soon
CKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:33 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Sather View Post
When you can provide a valid argument negating all these points then I'll listen to you. You just sound like a baby right now. Sorry that the reality of our league has made you think outside the box today. It's a shock to me that a game as great as hockey, is so unpopular in this country.
"Thinking outside the box" and "wanting to go back to 1991" are two completely different thought processes.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:36 PM
mdak06
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soble View Post
As usual nothing is perfect, and the NHL has opened itself up to “sportsmanlike dumping” – ie losing a game purposely to improve your chances at the ultimate goal (best playoff matchup on way to Stanley Cup)

A
ANA 103
CAL 102
EDM 85
LA 84

B
CHI 107
COL 98
DAL 96
MIN 94
NASH 93

Last game of the season, ANA plays CAL. Guess what? If ANA wins, they then face 94 pt MIN. If ANA loses, they face 85 pt EDM. Of course ANA will say they are trying to win, but this is not good for anybody and the fault lies with the rules.

PS. At least they were aware enough to realize West teams playing 29 division games (5 games vs 5 teams, 4 games vs 1 team) mathematically will not work out with an odd number of teams. Hence the “exception - one team from each division plays one less game inside Division and one more game inside Conference outside Division”.
It's certainly not ideal, but I think until they move to 32 teams they're going to have to keep the wildcard (and with it the possible bad late-season incentives) in place. With four 8-team conferences, that problem would presumably vanish (as well as the wildcards).

If/when that happens, I'd like to see an 83 game season. 5 games vs. each division (now conference) opponent and 2 games vs. everyone else. One of the division games would be a neutral site game (either in Europe or other North American cities that don't have NHL teams, e.g. Houston, Salt Lake City, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Hamilton, etc.). It'll help promote the game to cities that don't have teams and give fans in non-NHL cities a chance to see a quality regular season game.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:01 PM
angrydad

quick question regarding the final 4 in the playoffs. is it going to be the winner of division A vs. B and C vs. D? or is it re-seeded once they get there, meaning of the four teams left, the team with the best record plays the team with worst record of the final four?

angrydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:19 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydad View Post
quick question regarding the final 4 in the playoffs. is it going to be the winner of division A vs. B and C vs. D? or is it re-seeded once they get there, meaning of the four teams left, the team with the best record plays the team with worst record of the final four?
It's possible that there could be a few as 2 Divisions remaining in the Final 4.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:34 PM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
The Devils-Flyers will stop being a real rivalry if they meet in the division playoffs every other year or so. Where is the fun in that? There will be no novelty.
I recall many past rivalries being fueled due certain teams facing each other frequently in the playoffs.

Kings - Oilers, Canucs - Flames (1989)

North Stars - Blackhawks (1991)

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Step
GO SENS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
They did it because there are trying to make the divisions as north/south as possible (or at least they were originally) so they can stay in the same time zone. I know many wings fans like me that are sick of 9:30p - 10:30p starts like this whole road trip they are currently on. This realignment can not be done soon enough.
For any of us spoiled Eastern Conference people - this point is extremely apt. I cannot IMAGINE having half my games starting 1-3 hours "late." Everybody we play (aside from Winnipeg) are in the same time zone.

Columbus and Detroit have absolutely no reason being in the Western Conference. I would also love to see some Blue Jackets/Red Wings games every once in a while. This is awesome.

03-14-2013, 05:39 PM
mdak06
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydad View Post
If I understand correctly, the A & B division champs will play each other, and the C & D division champs will play each other (in the Western & Eastern Conference Finals).

That said, as MoreOrr mentioned, it's possible that only two divisions will be represented in the final group of four, since a wildcard could "move" to the other division for the playoffs and end up being that division's "champion" (even though they're not in that division during the regular season).

If/when they move to 32 teams, I could see them changing the four divisions to "conferences" and having four conference champions (that are seeded 1-4 for the Stanley Cup Semifinals). But who knows with the NHL.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:40 PM
puck832

Interesting as a Caps fan. Love the rivalries, kinda worried about playoffs as we suck right now.

Don't know if its been said to death, but Columbus and NYR in the same division now after trading Nash=intriguing.
Maybe CLB doesn't do the trade if they knew it would be in division.

In fact this kind of changes the trade landscape in general since teams don't like to do deals in division.

puck832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Have no idea what the Houston fanbase would be like, but there's far more hockey fans here than people like to admit. It's all a matter of just getting them to a game. I'm more than biased when it comes to adding a Houston team though.
Plus, the Stars were a major success story in the league up until their previous ownership went to hell and overextended itself. Top 10 in revenues and drew very well.

There's zero doubt in my mind that a team in Houston could be successful and that Dallas will eventually return to the promised land as well should they both have halfway competent ownership and management. The only issue for Houston is who will own it. For a relocation, they have zero chance. For a multi-year expansion process, though? Honestly would be very surprised if some ownership consortium didn't have enough time to develop in Houston with that in ind, with or without Alexander (and probably with him as a minority owner if only to get around whatever legalities exist there).

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Grouped with Carolina and Columbus? I'm p'd off. I would have preferred a total abandonment of the conferences. And divisions based on real names, not geographically. Adds character.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote