HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stone Recalled (Update: Recalled Dec 31)

Old
03-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Fusbolito

vCash: 500
http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=660194

Per the Sens' website, Stone is reassigned to Bingo.

Probably for the best, he has looked okay, but not really ready in his games so far. Let him get more icetime and bring him back when he's ready to make an impact?

Fusbolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
H2O

vCash: 50
Yeah, good move. I'm sure he's learned a lot from the last few games and will know what to work on in the A.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Figured he'd be going down with Kassian coming into the line-up.

Now he knows what he has to work on most in Bingo.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

he only got 5:51 minutes of ice time last night. i thought he looked alright. how come Macky couldn't give Stoner some more ice time?

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Figured he'd be going down with Kassian coming into the line-up.

Now he knows what he has to work on most in Bingo.
Kassian should sit IMO.
Michalek and Regin should play with Buffalo. Kassian should wait for Penguins/Leafs/Bruins.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Kassian should sit IMO.
Michalek and Regin should play with Buffalo. Kassian should wait for Penguins/Leafs/Bruins.
If it were up to me, Kassian wouldn't ever play at all

Old
03-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Berserker*

He will probably be back up in the next few weeks. We just have too many bodies at this point, that should change at the trade deadline. He looked pretty decent when he was up and was a lot more physical than I expected. A bit more time in Bingo will be good for his development.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Good that Ottawa gave Stone a cup of coffee up top.

As a rookie he has more work to do so next year, if he gets a call up we can better gauge his development.

ZekeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Johnny Hanson

Not really sure why maclean didn't give stone more of an opportunity to succeed. Playing 6 minutes a game is not nearly enough to get into the game and get anything going. He is an offensive player that needs offensive linemates. With all the injuries, this stint would have been a perfect opportunity to give him some top 6 minutes, pp time and a chance in the shootout. Im guessing they felt either his conditioning or his game is not where it needs to be right now as a result of the injury and I would think they got that impression from practice as it is not fair to judge his game due to his lack of ice time

Johnny Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hanson View Post
Not really sure why maclean didn't give stone more of an opportunity to succeed. Playing 6 minutes a game is not nearly enough to get into the game and get anything going. He is an offensive player that needs offensive linemates. With all the injuries, this stint would have been a perfect opportunity to give him some top 6 minutes, pp time and a chance in the shootout. Im guessing they felt either his conditioning or his game is not where it needs to be right now as a result of the injury and I would think they got that impression from practice as it is not fair to judge his game due to his lack of ice time
Montreal is a really fast team.

Stone is a really slow player.

He was clearly having a hard time keeping up with the pace of the game last night. We needed someone out there who could skate with the Habs.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Silfverberg View Post
he only got 5:51 minutes of ice time last night. i thought he looked alright. how come Macky couldn't give Stoner some more ice time?
He didnt have a very good game. Although its hard to call it a game when its 6 mins. He was out there. Thats it.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hanson View Post
I thought he looked great against the Rangers when he was playing with Zibanejad and Neil. Then in the games vs the Bruins and Habs, MacLean moved Stone down to the 4th line to play with O'Brien and either Condra or Daugavins. Stone didn't really mesh well with those players and they are not the kinds of players that will help Stone succeed. Even though Stone is the most offensively skilled of the four, they rarely passed him the puck. Stone is the type of player that can create offense if he has the puck on his stick, so less skilled players need to be getting him the puck.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Montreal is a really fast team.

Stone is a really slow player.

He was clearly having a hard time keeping up with the pace of the game last night. We needed someone out there who could skate with the Habs.
It was also a close game, so MacLean couldn't really afford to give Stone too many chances. Even O'Brien and Daugavins saw a reduction in minutes played. MacLean had to shorten the bench to ensure that we made it to Over Time.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Hale The Villain

You can't give the kid under 10 minutes a game and expect him to contribute.

Wasn't given much of a chance to succeed, hopefully next time he comes up coach Paul gives him some icetime with players who don't completely suck.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

Called it in the PGT (not that it wasn't obvious anyway)!

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Was physical and somewhat strong on the puck, but he was very slow and had trouble getting the puck out of our zone a few times.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

I don't think there was anything wrong with how he played. More of a teaching tool for the kid- give him a taste of how the game is in the NHL and some suggestions on how to improve his game for when he gets up here full-time.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:05 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I think Stone being sent to Bingo has more to do with Kassian playing on Saturday than it has to do with how he played last night. There is only so much room on the roster & it's important that young guys play & get their experience from the appropriate place & for him right now that's Bingo. He's still young & has much to learn but I love his size, his playmaking ability & his hockey IQ.

There is always the chance that he gets called up again this season but if he doesn't he will work harder over the summer knowing what he has learned up here this time to make that decision even harder next time. I would guess that he will definately be in the top six in Bingo next yr & get some PP time. This yr he spent most of the yr on the 3rd line with Grant & learned to play a more defensive role which is great for his development. He is learning to be more of a two way player which is great.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:14 PM
arglebargle

vCash: 141
I think it's important for kids to play a little bit in the NHL and see for themselves what's keeping them from being NHL players. It's easy to disbelieve some AHL coach who tells you you're not good enough; harder when you play a game or two and everyone blows right by you.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:25 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
You can't give the kid under 10 minutes a game and expect him to contribute.

Wasn't given much of a chance to succeed, hopefully next time he comes up coach Paul gives him some icetime with players who don't completely suck.
This, he needs to play with offensive players. His hands are clearly very good he made a play where he took a rocket pass in traffic on his backhand then led a linemate with a great pass in the neutral zone. A play not many if any players on this team can make that are currently in the lineup outside of Alfie.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:39 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

I really like Stone and believe he has all the potential to be a hell of an NHL player, but he does need to work on acceleration with regards to skating and also not take foolish penalties that are unneeded, which is apart of his foot speed issue. When he gets going, he is a fairly quick skater... he just needs to learn to get going faster. It is kind of like Lehner and shootouts, five hole etc. Stone will get there.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Minister of Offence

He'll be a player.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:50 PM
operasen

Glad he got a shot - wanted to see where he was and got the chance. Hope Hoffman gets a cup as well when he's back.

Stone can help Binghamton, play good minutes with their top end guys and fine tune the jets on his blades.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:58 PM
ChiassonTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I think Stone being sent to Bingo has more to do with Kassian playing on Saturday than it has to do with how he played last night. There is only so much room on the roster & it's important that young guys play & get their experience from the appropriate place & for him right now that's Bingo. He's still young & has much to learn but I love his size, his playmaking ability & his hockey IQ.

There is always the chance that he gets called up again this season but if he doesn't he will work harder over the summer knowing what he has learned up here this time to make that decision even harder next time. I would guess that he will definately be in the top six in Bingo next yr & get some PP time. This yr he spent most of the yr on the 3rd line with Grant & learned to play a more defensive role which is great for his development. He is learning to be more of a two way player which is great.
Pretty much this.

I don't think Stone will get to address what it takes to be a really good NHLer until the off-season.
Once he can train and eat well, and work with the team, he'll get more explosive and then hi future will be very bright.

ChiassonTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Fusbolito

Yeah, I think most Sens fans are anticipating that Stone will play for us one day, but some seem to differ on whether or not his development is best made in the AHL or the NHL.

I tend to fall on the side of believing young players should develop in the AHL (unless they're Karlsson-level talents) and calling them up when they're ready, or letting them earn spots in Training Camp. Stone's day will come, and we should get excited for it, but I think letting him work on his speed, and get a ton of icetime on a team which is VERY likely to make the postseason (16 games left, 15 points ahead of 9th) is preferable to letting him get 10 minutes a game on a team which might make the playoffs, but, since this is such a short season, anything can happen.

I can see why some might want him in Ottawa, working with Power and Schultz, and getting more used to the speed of the game, but with a player who needs as much improvement as he does, I think his speed will come more gradually than many folks are hoping, and I wouldn't object to him staying even a year more down in Bingo working on his speed and positioning.

Fusbolito is offline   Reply With Quote