HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League LVIII

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
That Flyers-Devils game was pretty entertaining to watch. Lots of speed both ways, and terrific passing and movement on the PP. You might not expect it from a Devils team but they aren't afraid to push the pace - loved how NJD didn't sit back even when up by 4. Especially against the Flyers.
Yeah I really like this new identity the Devils have. Tons of speed and skill. Elias is just awesome. Wish he was a Canuck. And I'm happy for him because he's been a Devil a long time. Nice to see him get to finally play alongside a talent like Kovalchuk.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Momesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Hate this notion, what if Bourdon became the all around minute munching RH shot (for you PRnuck) defensman with top pairing upside.

Yeah Kopitar was the consensus pick there, but claiming that pick cost us a cup is laughable, and definitely one where hindsight is 20/20.

I just don't like knocking a kid who died tragically, he projected to be a very similar player to many people are after right now. Lets leave it at that.
I'm not going to turn this into a Bourdon/Kopitar thread, but just let me clarify:

1) I'm not knocking Bourdon, may he RIP. Just our scouting.

2) In hindsight, yes, IMO it definitely cost us a Cup. It's hypothetical, so we can agree to disagree.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Momesso

In other news, looks like Chris Kelly is done for the year. Big blow for the B's.

Also, looks like Lecavalier going on IR with a lower body injury.

Injuries playing a huge role this season.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Hate this notion, what if Bourdon became the all around minute munching RH shot (for you PRnuck) defensman with top pairing upside.Yeah Kopitar was the consensus pick there, but claiming that pick cost us a cup is laughable, and definitely one where hindsight is 20/20.

I just don't like knocking a kid who died tragically, he projected to be a very similar player to many people are after right now. Lets leave it at that.
that would really be a huge surprise considering he's a left handed dman, that had played the left side his entire junior career.

I hate knocking a kid who's died tragically as well. And I did like Bourdon's upside overall. But he wasn't a draft need for this club at the time, as we did have another top young left handed dman coming up our system in Edler, who was just drafted a year earlier, and this was during a time we still had Ohlund around.

It's much more likely that Bourdon would have been stuck in a 3rd pairing role behind Hamhuis and Edler, then him suddenly becoming right handed, or even suddenly converting to a right side dman - as we've seen this is not an easy task for most dmen in this system, especially one who has never played the right side before, and those who's hockey sense has been questioned (as Bourdon's was right from when he was drafted).

Kopitar was the no-brainer pick at the time, and still is, regardless of hindsight. Going over our draft discussions over the past several years, Cody Hodgson may have been the only player who was more of a consensus to take when our pick came up, after Kopitar - who IIRC pretty much everyone here wanted this team to take when our pick came up.

It still would have been great to have Bourdon. Worst case, I still saw him projecting into a top-4 dman and could have been used as valuable trade bait to address a positional need. But at the time of the draft, Bourdon, a left handed, natural left side dman wasn't a positional need for this club. Kopitar, a big talented center with top line potential, was a big need for this club, especially considering that at the time of that draft neither Henrik nor Kesler were projected to develop into the star players they have in their current top-6 roles.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Hate this notion, what if Bourdon became the all around minute munching RH shot (for you PRnuck) defensman with top pairing upside.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
In other news, looks like Chris Kelly is done for the year. Big blow for the B's.
Also, looks like Lecavalier going on IR with a lower body injury.

Injuries playing a huge role this season.
What's this weird feeling I'm experiencing? It's...no sympathy.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:16 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
that would really be a huge surprise considering he's a left handed dman, that had played the left side his entire junior career.

I hate knocking a kid who's died tragically as well. And I did like Bourdon's upside overall. But he wasn't a draft need for this club at the time, as we did have another top young left handed dman coming up our system in Edler, who was just drafted a year earlier, and this was during a time we still had Ohlund around.

It's much more likely that Bourdon would have been stuck in a 3rd pairing role behind Hamhuis and Edler, then him suddenly becoming right handed, or even suddenly converting to a right side dman - as we've seen this is not an easy task for most dmen in this system, especially one who has never played the right side before, and those who's hockey sense has been questioned (as Bourdon's was right from when he was drafted).

Kopitar was the no-brainer pick at the time, and still is, regardless of hindsight. Going over our draft discussions over the past several years, Cody Hodgson may have been the only player who was more of a consensus to take when our pick came up, after Kopitar - who IIRC pretty much everyone here wanted this team to take when our pick came up.

It still would have been great to have Bourdon. Worst case, I still saw him projecting into a top-4 dman and could have been used as valuable trade bait to address a positional need. But at the time of the draft, Bourdon, a left handed, natural left side dman wasn't a positional need for this club. Kopitar, a big talented center with top line potential, was a big need for this club, especially considering that at the time of that draft neither Henrik nor Kesler were projected to develop into the star players they have in their current top-6 roles.
Well this isn't the first time my memory has failed me, when remembering what hand players are. Guess I should always double check before posting.

-----

Hindsight is 20/20 still though, especially when Momesso claimed that one draft pick cost us a cup. We were one win from it all without Kopitar, if we drafted him do we win in? Hard to say, do we still have the Sedin's and Kesler? Does Kopitar eat up the same cap hit he currently does?

Kopitar was the no-brainer, I'm not disagreeing with that, I'm disagreeing that that pick cost us a cup.

None of it is even worth discussing further, it's been 8 years, and it's all hypothetical at this point, with so many moving parts.

I just can't agree that ONE pick alters a team so much. Hell, you could argue Kopitar wasn't LA's most important pick in the last 8 years (Doughty?).

Anyways, I'll leave it alone now.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Momesso

Moving on, I think what we can agree on is that our Q scouting blows goats, and has done so since as far back as I can remember.

At least we're tops in our backyard, eh?

Old
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Moving on, I think what we can agree on is that our Q scouting blows goats, and has done so since as far back as I can remember.

I think the only aspect of the Canucks scouting (pro and amateur) that doesn't blow goats is tier 2 Ontario leagues. And Sweden I guess.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:58 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

If our back yard is Ontario?

You have to wonder what the direction is for the Q scouts. Seems like they also have the GM's ear more than others as well (might be an even more alarming indictment of the WHL guys, if they don't even get that respect).

Glad to here, they're beefing up the WHL/Western staff, but in general it really makes you question their eye for talent, if they keep going after these high midget picks (Steven Anthony, Yann Sauve etc) or late bloomers (Mallet and Grenier). Doesn't the WHL churn out more players than any of the leagues in the CHL (at least going to that well more often improves the probability of getting at least an NHL contributor....Q league seems like a swing for the fences, boom/bust well to draw from).

Old
03-14-2013, 03:00 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Well this isn't the first time my memory has failed me, when remembering what hand players are. Guess I should always double check before posting.

-----

Hindsight is 20/20 still though, especially when Momesso claimed that one draft pick cost us a cup. We were one win from it all without Kopitar, if we drafted him do we win in? Hard to say, do we still have the Sedin's and Kesler? Does Kopitar eat up the same cap hit he currently does?

Kopitar was the no-brainer, I'm not disagreeing with that, I'm disagreeing that that pick cost us a cup.

None of it is even worth discussing further, it's been 8 years, and it's all hypothetical at this point, with so many moving parts.

I just can't agree that ONE pick alters a team so much. Hell, you could argue Kopitar wasn't LA's most important pick in the last 8 years (Doughty?).

Anyways, I'll leave it alone now.
Maybe not, but a 1-2-3 punch with Henrik, Kopitar and Kesler down the middle would have been pretty deadly the last few years. **** you Nonis.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:03 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Maybe not, but a 1-2-3 punch with Henrik, Kopitar and Kesler down the middle would have been pretty deadly the last few years. **** you Nonis.
Like I said, just assuming the rest of the roster would have stayed the same if Kopitar had been drafted just isn't a realistic line of thinking.

Anyways, done for good...lets rag on our scouts some more

Old
03-14-2013, 03:05 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Like I said, just assuming the rest of the roster would have stayed the same if Kopitar had been drafted just isn't a realistic line of thinking.

Anyways, done for good...lets rag on our scouts some more
I hate those guys! Watch a damn game in BC!

(you're welcome )

Old
03-14-2013, 03:15 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
What's this weird feeling I'm experiencing? It's...no sympathy.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I hate those guys! Watch a damn game in BC!

(you're welcome )
Ok, my turn.

My band has played at about 2 dozen Chiefs games over the past two seasons; the PA guy always welcomes the scouts that are in attendance (usually 2-3) and which teams they represent.

There has never been a scout from Vanvouver while I was there. A lot of eastern teams oddly enough. Philly and NJ in particular.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
If our back yard is Ontario?

You have to wonder what the direction is for the Q scouts. Seems like they also have the GM's ear more than others as well (might be an even more alarming indictment of the WHL guys, if they don't even get that respect).

Glad to here, they're beefing up the WHL/Western staff, but in general it really makes you question their eye for talent, if they keep going after these high midget picks (Steven Anthony, Yann Sauve etc) or late bloomers (Mallet and Grenier). Doesn't the WHL churn out more players than any of the leagues in the CHL (at least going to that well more often improves the probability of getting at least an NHL contributor....Q league seems like a swing for the fences, boom/bust well to draw from).
It was posted here that the percentage conversion from the Q is just a bit behind the WHL. So it shouldn't be dismissed.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:41 PM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
when do we expect trade to happen? next two weeks? there is what like three weeks or so left, some team need to decide if they are seller or buyer

Old
03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
It was posted here that the percentage conversion from the Q is just a bit behind the WHL. So it shouldn't be dismissed.
I'm going to postulate that perhaps Gillis/Gilman/stats dudes/scouts worked out something about certain types of players from the Q/O/W and the rates at which they get overlooked and maybe found there was a higher rate for the Q than other places. It would makes sense then to gamble on those types of players, late rounders are a low percentage gamble anyway so you could swing and miss 5 times even withthe higher percentage.

I'm just throwing that out there as a hypothetical, it's probably nothing like that and they just liked those players.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:15 PM
opendoor

Scouting aside, the Canucks have also had the fewest draft picks of any team in the league since 2005 so that's going to make things harder.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:54 PM
canuck4life16

is Petteri Nokelainen any good? would he be a good center to pick up from waivers? Or better to trade for one instead

Old
03-14-2013, 07:16 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
when do we expect trade to happen? next two weeks? there is what like three weeks or so left, some team need to decide if they are seller or buyer
Some time between now and the trade deadline, then again after the season.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:29 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Ok, my turn.

My band has played at about 2 dozen Chiefs games over the past two seasons; the PA guy always welcomes the scouts that are in attendance (usually 2-3) and which teams they represent.

There has never been a scout from Vanvouver while I was there. A lot of eastern teams oddly enough. Philly and NJ in particular.
So, your saying Vancouver scouts don't like your band?

Old
03-14-2013, 07:59 PM
arsmaster

Washington CApitals have played Volpatti for 8 minutes through 2 periods.

Glad the guys getting a shot. Has an assist too.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:06 PM
BrandonL

Columbus is at home tonight and playing the Blackhawks extremely tough. They are a tough team to beat right now.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
^
They are well on way to being a good team

Just needs some more punch offensively they have some solid role players (Anisimov/Dubinsky) , Ok D core (Wiz,Tyutin,Nikitin) and Bobrovsky looks like real deal

Would probably be in a playoff spot if they keep giving Mason chances to win #1 job this year

Closed Thread