HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Xbox One / PS4 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

vCash: 500
To kill this sillyness that the new Xbox will be more powerful than the PS4 (only the delusional ever believed that to begin with):

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-cpu-overview/

Standard Jaguar setup. VGLeaks was dead on about everything Ps4 related except the PS4 8 GDDR5 thing (and not even some of Sony's first parties knew about that) so I'm willing to bet they are fairly accurate. Especially if their source is, as they claim, from 2013.

So that puts the new Xbox at a slightly weaker system than a PS4. This will only probably matter with things like AA and first party games, because third parties tend to try to aim for parity. Which is good news for the industry as a whole, because it means these two systems are rather equal and the architecture follows modern PCs, so the only scaling publishers would need to do is down to the Wii U, which is good news for that system as well.

A setup where publishers have to make 4 different SKUs of games is a lot worse off for everyone than one where they can get away with 2 (PC, PS4, new Xbox and then another sku for the Wii U). Yes, games on PC and PS4 will have extra bells and whistles (more on the PC, obviously) over the Xbox version (as the base), but it means no massive game disparities should happen unless the developer is awful at programming (looking at you Bethesda!).

I can't find the source for this next bit of info, but I'll update the post if I do. But there's an interesting bit of info coming out of GDC: The Vita is actually massively increasing in popularity, particularly among indie devs as the development platform of choice. Games like Retro City Rampage have sold like hotcakes on it (more than the Ps3 version, which is cross buy and the Steam version..which is..Steam) and the same survey had support for the 3DS waning, although I'm not sure why. Really wish I could find the article, but it's good news for the Vita!

Old
03-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Yeah, a game like Retro City Rampage is tailor made for the Vita, I'm not surprised it sold more than the PS3 version. Hopefully this alone will make developers and Sony rethink their strategy on the Vita. Instead of hoping for blockbuster titles to move units, like Call of Duty or Assassins Creed, both absolutely awful and shameless titles for 40 bucks - they should focus on the smaller fun games like RCR.

Get games like Limbo, Super Meat Boy or quick pick up games on it for 5 bucks a pop. While it'd be great to have a Fallout Vita game, nobody really wants to sit with a handheld for 30+ hours in a game. It's made for on the go playing.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Sounds like Sony approached Nvidia to produce the chip for the new PS4, but they declined Sony's offer as it was too low for them: http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-pass...ment-14273963/

Quote:
When the PlayStation 4 was announced last month, you might have noticed that the console’s processing power was all AMD, with the 8-core Jaguar CPU and Radeon graphics. Since NVIDIA was the chip maker behind the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, what happened with the PS4? It turns out that NVIDIA wasn’t willing to do business with Sony “at the price those guys were willing to pay.”

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Sounds like Sony approached Nvidia to produce the chip for the new PS4, but they declined Sony's offer as it was too low for them: http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-pass...ment-14273963/
Nvidia sounds a wee bit sour about not getting all three of end new consoles. That and they slam AMD every chance they get.

I love Nvidia but they screwed the PS3 so bad GPU wise, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was reluctant to work with them to begin with.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Quote:
Since NVIDIA was the chip maker behind the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, what happened with the PS4?
but AMD was the chip maker of the GPU in the Xbox360 ...they must have meant the first Xbox and PS3, because Nvidia did make those chips.

i really don't believe that Nvidia are sour about not being in any of the next gen consoles. they've been there in the past and could have been there again if they really really wanted to be ...they just felt it wasn't worth their time, and wasn't profitable enough.

given AMD's financial troubles they were likely willing to take just about any offer from Microsoft, Sony, etc ...be it low ball or otherwise.

Quote:
AMD will be hoping that its PS4 business pays off, having recently fallen on hard times. Earlier this week it sold its Austin-based HQ for $164 million to raise cash, while a leading analyst called it "un-investable" following an operating loss of $131 million in its quarterly earnings report.

In Nvidia's latest earnings call, the company posted a profit of $174 million.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps4-not...nvidia-6405300

Old
03-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Blacklight Retribution is coming to PS4. Primal Carnage looks epic so far.

03-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos

Old
03-27-2013, 11:56 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

slick controller. im gonna have to see whats better in the end. xbox or ps4. we shall see

Old
04-04-2013, 01:25 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Another article today stating that it will require an online connection to even start games. It may handle disconnects, but to even start a game, you need to be connected.

http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will...o-st-470062456

Old
04-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
"If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."
This has the potential to be even worse than Sim City. Let's hope Microsoft isn't that stupid.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Oxide

vCash: 50
Well if that's true then they just lost a customer.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

And a Microsoft Creative Director pretty much confirms always online:

https://twitter.com/adam_orth

Some quotes, I'll try to keep it in context if it's a grey quote, but keep in mind it's twitter:

Being facetious:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthy
Sometimes the electricity goes out. I will not purchase a vacuum cleaner.
Quote:
The mobile reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone.
On people that don't own the internet/have very good internet:
Quote:
Those people should definitely get with the times and get the internet. It's awesome.
Quote:
Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an "always on" console. Every device now is "always on". That's the world we live in. #dealwithit.
Quote:
I want every device to be "always on".
When asked to put himself in the shoes of people that live in remote places with poor internet:
Quote:
Why on earth would I live there?
He seems like he's deleting some of the more incendiary and rude tweets, but as this is the internet, someone screencapped it:

http://i2.minus.com/ikWhhKM09bWdC.png

Last edited by Orpheus: 04-04-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

That's too bad. It seems like my next console will be a ps4, barring some catastrophic news.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
This has the potential to be even worse than Sim City. Let's hope Microsoft isn't that stupid.
wow...this is just beyond idiotic if true.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
And a Microsoft Creative Director pretty much confirms always online:

https://twitter.com/adam_orth

Some quotes, I'll try to keep it in context if it's a grey quote, but keep in mind it's twitter:

Being facetious:

On people that don't own the internet/have very good internet:

When asked to put himself in the shoes of people that live in remote places with poor internet:

He seems like he's deleting some of the more incendiary and rude tweets, but as this is the internet, someone screencapped it:

http://i2.minus.com/ikWhhKM09bWdC.png
well let's see how it ends up, in the end of the month we should get an idea on how they fare against all the hype that ps4 is getting.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
@adam_orth's tweets are protected.
Only confirmed followers have access to @adam_orth's Tweets and complete profile. Click the "Follow" button to send a follow request.
LOL. Good God Microsoft.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:50 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Going to wait before I see the pricing for these systems and finals specs... but ya Sony is way in the lead for me right now... and i'm not even a Sony fan... (also if Sony makes a bundle with PS4 and Vita i'll pre-order tomorrow...)

Old
04-05-2013, 01:58 AM
gunners14henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Going to wait before I see the pricing for these systems and finals specs... but ya Sony is way in the lead for me right now... and i'm not even a Sony fan... (also if Sony makes a bundle with PS4 and Vita i'll pre-order tomorrow...)
Same with me. I've bought the xbox and the xbox 360 but I'm seriously contemplating purchasing the PS4 as my next console.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:45 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners14henry View Post
Same with me. I've bought the xbox and the xbox 360 but I'm seriously contemplating purchasing the PS4 as my next console.
Same. I got a PS3 as well a couple years back as a blu-ray player (mostly) ... but have 10-15 games on it too (I just prefer the Xbox controller).

Since I got the PS3 batarang controller last summer I played a bunch more PS3 and I like it.

I dunno. Mad that Microsoft still charges for Xbox Live. Hope I see a discount for having live for all the years Xbox 360 was out, but I doubt MS would think of loyalty rewards.

Oh well.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

I think a lot of people forget that a lot of stuff has built in online already, to play Blurays on your PS3 you have to be online. That being said it seems Microsoft is giving the middle finger to everyone and plans on just starting a price war.

Not in love with the controller though, got to handle it a little at GDC.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:30 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
I think a lot of people forget that a lot of stuff has built in online already, to play Blurays on your PS3 you have to be online. That being said it seems Microsoft is giving the middle finger to everyone and plans on just starting a price war.

? No you don't. You might need to update but if my PS3 isn't net connected it still plays blu-rays... (i'm pretty sure)

Old
04-05-2013, 09:32 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
? No you don't. You might need to update but if my PS3 isn't net connected it still plays blu-rays... (i'm pretty sure)
The only thing I can think of is the Blu-Ray Live crap, which doesn't do much. But yeah, the PS3 doesn't need to be online to play any game or any movie (unless it's an MMO). Also, with that **** the creative director of Xbox said, does that also put more of a confirmation on the idea that it will be always online?

Old
04-05-2013, 11:18 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post

You have to be online to use the Blu-Ray live feature but you can go into the PS3 settings and make it ask if you want to connect to the internet for that, just deny it when you load the disc and you can go ahead and watch it.

Changed my wi-fi password the other week and forgot to update it on my PS3 but I was still able to watch Dredd, GoT Season 2, and Avengers offline.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Oh, my bad then! Just not keeping my ps3 up to date Because lets be honest besides Ni No kuni there hasn't been a reason for me to turn it on.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:15 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

creative director of Microsoft

****ing *****. I was thinking xbox over playstation for next gen. I dunno now. arrogant *****

Closed Thread