HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Rangers Should Pursue Lecavalier"

Old
07-28-2006, 05:48 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
I'd also like to say that I'd rather trade for Richards, if we're going to trade for a center from the Lightning.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Does anyone else think we're about a year away from making an absolute HUGE move in aquiring a bonafide 1st line center?
Sather will make that trade within the year - as in "in the 2006-07 season" if he sees a chance to go for it this campaign, JP. For while all the futurists are pining for a roster of homegrown rookies, fact is, you are a team on the rise, not that far from true Cup contention as is. And you have some key "core" vets at their peak.

If NYR progresses during this upcoming season, and he senses a chance to strike, he'll look to add that guy, IMO. And I personally think he will have to, eventually, to get to the next level - I do not think your squad is strong enough down the middle, as currently constituted, to win a Cup.

That does not mean having to go out for VL or Richards per se (neither of whom is even on the market). But upgrading at your #1 (or at least #2) center spot, ideally with some size, for if/when you go up against the likes of Philly, TB, etc. in the playoffs. (Read: teams with major talent and/or size down the middle.) Not disparaging the likes of Nylander (though I am not a big fan of his type come post-season time), Cullen and Immonen, but IMO, that trio, alone, does not get it done come next spring.

But it's a long way from here to there.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-28-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Sather will make that trade within the year - as in "in the 2006-07 season" if he sees a chance to go for it this campaign, JP. For while all the futurists are pining for a roster of homegrown rookies, fact is, you are a team on the rise, not that far from true Cup contention as is. And you have some key "core" vets at their peak.

If NYR progresses during this upcoming season, he'll look to add that guy, IMO. And I personally think he will have to, eventually, to get to the next level - I do not think your squad is strong enoug down the middle, as currently constituted, to win a Cup.

That does not mean having to go out for VL (who is not even on the market). But adding a solid depth centerman, ideally with some size, for if/when you go up against the likes of Philly, TB, etc. in the playoffs. (Read: teams with tlanet and size down at the pivot.) Not disparaging the likes of NYlander, Cullen and Immonen, but IMO, that, alone, does not get it done come next spring.

But it's a long way from here to there.

Just my opinion.
I agree completely.

I personally feel that Immonen will be moved within the year as part of a package to aquire a top tier center.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Esa 10

I can't figure out what's more riduculous: Tampa trading Lecavalier (a key player in their Stanley Cup win) for a 2nd line center with inflated numbers, a #4 defenseman and prospects? Or us trading Lundqvist for anyone in the League?

Lundqvist has a Vezina caliber season before his injury, wins a Gold medal. Prucha scores 30 goals. Great, time to trade them for "Bigger Names" because guys in Hartford who haven't even siniffed the NHL might be better. How did trading Savard work out because York might be "better"? How about Cloutier, Sundstrom? Kim Johnsson was traded for an established #1 center. Zidlicky for a #1 goalie. Norstrom for a HOFamer. Let's not even talk about Zubov. He was traded for an All-Star in Robitaille. That one certainly worked out well.

Good teams don't get better by trading away their key players. They get better by adding to their home-grown core. It's the only way real teams are built. Unless one wants to go back to collecting All-Stars and missing the play-offs.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
I can't figure out what's more riduculous: Tampa trading Lecavalier (a key player in their Stanley Cup win) for a 2nd line center with inflated numbers, a #4 defenseman and prospects? Or us trading Lundqvist for anyone in the League?

Lundqvist has a Vezina caliber season before his injury, wins a Gold medal. Prucha scores 30 goals. Great, time to trade them for "Bigger Names" because guys in Hartford who haven't even siniffed the NHL might be better. How did trading Savard work out because York might be "better"? How about Cloutier, Sundstrom? Kim Johnsson was traded for an established #1 center. Zidlicky for a #1 goalie. Norstrom for a HOFamer. Let's not even talk about Zubov. He was traded for an All-Star in Robitaille. That one certainly worked out well.

Good teams don't get better by trading away their key players. They get better by adding to their home-grown core. It's the only way real teams are built. Unless one wants to go back to collecting All-Stars and missing the play-offs.
I totally agree with you.

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Michael Nylander had 4 more points than Vinny.
Of all the comparisons, this is the least applicable. Do you really think that Nylander is a better player than Vinny? How many points would Vinny have had if he has Jagr as a linemate?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Does anyone else think we're about a year away from making an absolute HUGE move in aquiring a bonafide 1st line center?
I think it's inevitable. Especially as kids begin to blossom and the Rangers get a better idea of what they've got.

This is where the depth they are developing will be key.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:44 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Who do you guys think the 1st-line center will be? Do you think one more first-round exit by Tampa Bay next year forces Feaster to trade Vinny?

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 09:22 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
This is where the depth they are developing will be key.
I believe that the key is that the depth continue to develop and take steps forward. That will allow a such a trade.

Old
07-29-2006, 10:17 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I believe that the key is that the depth continue to develop and take steps forward. That will allow a such a trade.
Agreed, TB.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 01:50 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
very true. this is why it's a bit to early to be making such a deal. A year from now we'll have a much better idea about whose a keeper, whose gonna bust and whose going to develop but is expendable (or who is expendable because someone else developed.)

you do it now and your still kind of shooting blind.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 02:36 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
very true. this is why it's a bit to early to be making such a deal. A year from now we'll have a much better idea about whose a keeper, whose gonna bust and whose going to develop but is expendable (or who is expendable because someone else developed.)

you do it now and your still kind of shooting blind.
One of the many reasons that patience is the name of the game for this season. No need to rush out and make a big-name trade (with the caveat that such a trade is such a no-brainer that it has to be done) that will paralyze the cap. Especially since the UFA age is lowered to 27 next year (Kyle Calder anyone?) and 26 the year after that.

Old
07-30-2006, 09:16 AM
gaglinefan

Vinny

is a stud for sure. We are not 1 player away from winning the cup , we are developing a team to contend for the cup for years to come . I don't see how he fits into that plan considering what it would cost to get him even if he were available.

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote