HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Detroit new arena update; breaking ground before end of 2014

Old
01-29-2013, 12:51 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Detroit new arena update; breaking ground before end of 2014

just came across this:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...329/1128/rss16

Quote:
More clues are emerging about where a $650 million, 35-acre entertainment district that includes a new arena for the Detroit Red Wings could be built.

The hints point to a swath of blighted land north of the Fox Theatre in Detroit where at least 22 secretive land deals have taken place since 2008.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2JLRHsMNL
mod: new info starting post 58

Last edited by danishh: 06-19-2013 at 07:12 PM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

vCash: 500
This isn't very surprising... I think most people have expected this since the scaled down light rail project decided to leave the Temple stop in. I think it's a better site than their previous choice behind the Fox itself, which is better for shops and restaurant developments. The real shame of it is that it's the best parking location for events downtown right now.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:30 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

thanks brodie, for some reason that picture from the detroit news wouldnt expand for me.

Seems like a pretty good location, right on the highway and they're building a light rail station. BTW, i read an article that the (new) light rail line will be built mostly from private donations, including illitch and canes owner karmanos. Obviously for illitch it's not just philanthropy though, as the Fox theatre, comerica park, and new arena will benefit greatly. Karmanos has his compuware building on woodward too.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
This isn't very surprising... I think most people have expected this since the scaled down light rail project decided to leave the Temple stop in. I think it's a better site than their previous choice behind the Fox itself, which is better for shops and restaurant developments. The real shame of it is that it's the best parking location for events downtown right now.
Exactly, there is no reason to have that temple stop if something big is going there.

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:01 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...round-by-fall#

Report from Crains Detroit Business. Ground could be opened by year end. Arena could take 20-22 months to build (so another 2-3 seasons in the Joe?). What seems to be holding things up is environmental -- run off (snow, rain) from arena is greater than other buildings. Land owned by Illitches at all potential sites (keeping cost down). "Box" (arena) cost ~$300mm; the other $310mm dedicated to project is earmarked for other infrastructure (office, restaurants) in area to make it an entertainment district.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

$300m seems pretty cheap, considering cost of labor. That's cheaper than the Consol Energy Center by about $50m. I'm interested to see the first renderings... if this timescale is accurate, we should see them within the year.

I'm really hopeful it's going to be an older style brick building ala Nationwide or the American Airlines Center. The whole glass and steel thing would be an awful fit for the area.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:35 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
$300m seems pretty cheap, considering cost of labor. That's cheaper than the Consol Energy Center by about $50m. I'm interested to see the first renderings... if this timescale is accurate, we should see them within the year.

I'm really hopeful it's going to be an older style brick building ala Nationwide or the American Airlines Center. The whole glass and steel thing would be an awful fit for the area.
Well it could be a positive modern twist to the style of the city, no?
I have no idea about the area obviously.. but anything that stands out like a sore thumb for its 'beauty' would be great for the landscape and becomes an instant attraction.. instead of architecture that simply blends in..

But again.. i don't know the area.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:

Would be a nice touch if they reused the Olympia moniker, even with a sponsor attached to it. I suppose it'd be too much to ask for someone other than Amway though

I like the idea of a more old-school design too (the MTS did a great job of this to allude to the old Eatons building that used to be on the site), but I might be a bit more sensitive to the whole vernacular-architecture thing than most people.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
I'd like the Olympia to have a "Barn" look to it. I'd also prefer the "Little Caesar's Olympia" over the "Amway Olympia" but that might be asking for too much.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:39 PM
schulzte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
I'd like the Olympia to have a "Barn" look to it. I'd also prefer the "Little Caesar's Olympia" over the "Amway Olympia" but that might be asking for too much.
What do you think?

schulzte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I've never been a fan of the whole "rebuild the Olympia" thing... let's all move on already.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

How many seats is the new arena slated to hold? I'm guessing that it's more than the current Joe?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:22 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
How many seats is the new arena slated to hold? I'm guessing that it's more than the current Joe?
Should be less. Certainly won't be more than the 20,066 they currently have.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:57 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

yeah, the uppermost seats are the most expensive to build and bring in the least revenue. The only purpose they serve is to give an opportunity for lower-income fans and make ticket prices seem lower on average. Unfortunately, these are also the tickets most likely to get scooped up by scalpers to resell at an inflated value.

18,500 should be what they aim for IMO.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:29 PM
schulzte

Joe Louis Arena Opened with 19,250, and they have stuck seats in corners and the middle walkway to get to 20,066. I hope they have some standing room in the new building that could push a crowd up to 20,000.

schulzte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:11 PM
aqib

Quote:

I am guessing Pittsburgh has higher land costs. Pittsburgh has one advantage over other rust belt cities like Cleveland and Detroit un that its surrounded by hills and therefore isn't as prone to sprawl.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
I've never been a fan of the whole "rebuild the Olympia" thing... let's all move on already.
It doesn't need to look like the Olympia, it just should have a retro look to it. Look at Lucas Oil Stadium, it's for football and even that looks like a Fieldhouse.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
It doesn't need to look like the Olympia, it just should have a retro look to it. Look at Lucas Oil Stadium, it's for football and even that looks like a Fieldhouse.
Exactly, which is why I'm glad we hired the same firm who did it (they also did the American Airlines Center, the exterior of which is very similar to Lucas Oil). Since Lucas Oil is essentially Ford Field with a retractable roof, it'd fit in very well.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

debunked

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

Quote:
A University of Michigan professor who is a consultant on a potential $650 million, 35-acre sports and entertainment complex in Detroit dismissed earlier media reports that said he predicted construction for the downtown project could begin this fall.

Mark Rosentraub said he didn't intend to give a firm timeline for the project that includes a new home for the Detroit Red Wings professional hockey team.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:21 PM
RedWinger10

Construction on new $650million Red Wings arena rumored to begin before 2014

Construction on the hockey arena that will replace Joe Louis Arena as home of the Detroit Red Wings is rumored to begin before the end of this year. At a cost of $650 million it should be something truly incredible and nothing short of state of the art in every way. The new building is expected to be built near the Fox Theatre in downtown Detroit.

Construction:
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....it_red_wi.html

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2.../BIZ/301290329

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I haven't been following this very closely, but are public funds expected to be used for this (other than the usual tax breaks)? If not, then it seems like a potentially great project for downtown Detroit, especially with the mixed-use aspect of it.

03-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

vCash: 58
$650M

Would be the nicest arena in the league, no doubt.

Stanley Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Maaxse

Hope it helps the city of Detroit in way or another. The city deserves more state of the art infrastructure.

Maaxse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
$650M

Would be the nicest arena in the league, no doubt.
Includes the surrounding retail and residential developments. The arena itself is more like half that.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
I haven't been following this very closely, but are public funds expected to be used for this (other than the usual tax breaks)? If not, then it seems like a potentially great project for downtown Detroit, especially with the mixed-use aspect of it.
Any money will have to come from the state, but it's rumored Illitch has extensively studied how Columbus built nationwide privately and is prepared to go that route if need be. Detroit contributing anything with an EFM in power would be a political nightmare for the GOP